• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Contest-of-the-Week: Camerupt vs Sharpedo

Winterdaze

fight me
Reaction score
Welcome to Contest-of-the-Week! With the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on the horizon, the attention of Pokémon fans everywhere turns to Hoenn, and all the cool and interesting Pokemon that live there.

Every week, we'll be looking at a few of the many Pokémon you'll meet along your journey through the Hoenn region, and asking for your opinions on them and how they stack up next to their counterparts or rival Pokemon looking to fill the same spot on your team.

250px-323Camerupt.png
vs
250px-319Sharpedo.png

After defeating Wattson, you will be able to use Rock Smash to clear a path to Route 112 and continue your journey north. A fierce sandstorm in the desert stretch of Route 112 prevents you from travelling that way for the time being, so the only way to go is through the Fiery Path. The Fire/Ground camel Numel is relatively common, and well worth catching if you don't have a Fire type. It's counterpart Carvanha won't be available for some time, but if you're playing Sapphire you'll be facing its evolved form in battle before too long.

The evolved forms of these Pokemon are notable for several reasons. They are both dual typed, used by the leaders of both evil teams in the Hoenn region and as revealed this week, they are also receiving mega evolutions in ORAS. The two share balanced offences, though Camerupt is slow and leans more toward special attacks while Sharpedo hits harder physically but also possesses death-wish defences.
Which Pokemon you prefer, and why?

-Which has the better design?
-Which one is easier to train?
-Which is more useful throughout the game?
-Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
-Which is more useful in the competitive environment?
-Which mega evolution do you like more?

Let the contest begin!

Next week: Torkoal vs Magcargo

I prefer Sharpedo, for a number of reasons.
1) Design. A shark just seems more menacing than a camel, doesn't it?
2) Its typing. Camerupt's type leaves it double-vulnerable to Water, a very common enemy in Hoenn. The shark's defenses are terrible, but it usually can't get OHKO'd by a common move like Surf.
3) General bias on my part. Sharpedo was my first shiny I ever encountered and caught, so I used it a lot more than Numel or Camerupt.

Which has the better design?
I prefer Camerupt. Just looks cooler to me.

Which one is easier to train?
I don't really know. I'd say Camerupt due to having weaknesses to common types, but Sharpedo has garbage defenses. Not to mention the fact that you can just switch out when you're facing a Pokemon with a type advantage, so Camerupt would never even have to face a Pokemon its weak against. Sharpedo's sucky defenses can't be changed.

Which is more useful throughout the game?/Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
Depends on your team and whether you focus more on speed and physical attack or special attack and defense.

Which mega evolution do you like more?
Sharpedo. It just looks much more badass and awesome. Mega Camerupt is too...wide for my tastes and I don't like what they did with the hairs on its head. Not to mention that goofy smile it has in its artwork.

Obviously I prefer Camerupt overall.

Numel for me is the cutest badass Pokemon that ever existed. But when it evolved into Camerupt, things have changed..coz this Pokemon can cause your opponent's Pokemon melt in lava due to it's body-built volcano. I can say that alongside with Charizard and Infernape, Camerupt is the best fire type Pokemon out there.

As for Sharpedo, when I first time that I heard its name, I was expecting a torpedo-like shark with big propeller at the back, but I was disappointed. It is just a tail-less shark with the same scary-great-white-shark looks. Though its typing is the best. When it was announced that a mega evolution has reached Sharpedo, I was expecting more from its mega evolved form, but I again, I was disappointed.

1. Which has the better design?
- I go for Camerupt, both for non-mega evolved form and mega evolved form.
2. Which one is easier to train?
- I can say it is Sharpedo because of its easy stats(atk and spd). Unlike Camerupt that you have to choose between a staller, defensive or offensive type.
3. Which is more useful throughout the game?
- Because of its various built, I go for Camerupt. It can stall, it can wall, it can sweep. Now with the help of Sheer force, it can do all of those things.
4. Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
- I go for both. Each Pokemon has its own use depending on the user.
5. Which is more useful in the competitive environment?
- I go for Camerupt. As I said in the item no. 3.
6. Which mega evolution do you like more?
- No doubt, Camerupt.

I prefer Sharpedo, for a number of reasons.
2) Its typing. Camerupt's type leaves it double-vulnerable to Water, a very common enemy in Hoenn. The shark's defenses are terrible, but it usually can't get OHKO'd by a common move like Surf.

Sharpedo has 5 type weaknesses. Compare to Camerupt's 2.

Last edited:
I prefer Camerupt to Sharpedo. I just find it to be better looking. Sharpedo looks like it should for a torpedo shark, but the lack of looking like a real shark just makes it look a bit off. No idea which is easier to train having never used either, but I suspect Sharpedo due to it generally being a better Pokemon. I suspect it'll probably still be the case in ORAS.

As I said, Sharpedo is definatley more useful in competitive. It's got Speed Boost and great Attack. Camerupt is slow and 4X weak to water, but I found it great on my Trick Room Team with Eruption. I prefer Camerupt's Mega, as well. The volcano on it's back and the fur covering it's whole body looks sick as hell. Sharpedo's cool, but it scare me a little with the nose.

Sharpedo any day! I love sharks, especially strong ones!

Sharpedo.

No clue, they're probably equal.

Sharpedo. Can use surf and stuff and will soon be able to mega evolve!

Sharpedo. (for OR that is, AS not so much)

Definitely Sharpedo again!

Both are equal to me.

Camerupt. A camel with volcanohumps is obviously more interesting than a shortened shark.

Sharpedo. Camerupt is so slow that you waste potions almost every battle due to it eating hits. Sharpedo has the speed and the power to end battles quickly (moreso if you have speed boost)

Sharpedo. Almost the same as the above, and water types get more merit since 2-3 HMs are learned.

Sharpedo, for the above reasons.

Tie. I see Mega Camerupt being a force to be reckoned with in Doubles/Triples trick room teams with Sheer Force-boosted Heat Waves, Rock Slides and Earth Powers. Mega Sharpedo on the other hand could see more use in Singles, attacking/ and gaining speed boosts from its normal form and wrecking shit with its Mevo's Strong Jaws-boosted Crunch.

Camerupt. The Sawshark look for mega Sharpedo just didnt cut it for me (aaah muh puns). Camerupt on the other hand became a deranged tank of lava ready to blow up on your sorry ass.

So yeah Sharpedo gets a bit of a lead this time for me.

Volcanic camel easily.

I say both are probably equal. Camerupt doesn't die to a light breeze like Sharpedo, but Sharpedo is a lot faster, meaning it doesn't have to take damage before dealing damage most of the time. Fire/Ground and Water/Dark are both good offensively, so dealing damage with either is pretty much easy.

Hm. Maybe Sharpedo due to Surf and/or Waterfall basically being necessities in the majority of games where you can catch these two.

In-game both about the same. Competitively, Sharpedo.

Sharpedo :(

CAMEL

I voted for Camerupt because it's one of my favourite Pokemon. While Sharpedo does a lot better in battling, design matters far more to me over usability (usability is still something I'd like Pokemon to have though).

Sharpedo is my goddamn child

Which has the better design? Sharpedo
Which one is easier to train? Probs Sharpedo
Which is more useful throughout the game? Probs Sharpedo
Which do you think will be better in ORAS? Sharpedo
Which is more useful in the competitive environment? Obvs Sharpedo
Which mega evolution do you like more? Mega Sharpedo, though Mega Camerupt wins points for most improved design-wise

Win streak for Sharpedo. As deserved. <3

I have to go with Camerupt. Sharpedo's a pretty cool idea, but it's just got this awful, rabid design that I can't get my head around. The eyes in particular turn me off; it looks less like a shark and more like a shark-bot. Can't really vouch for it in battle, as I've never used one, but its paper-thin defenses are definitely a minus as well.

By contrast, Camerupt has an even cooler idea and a great design to boot. Volcano camel is an awesome concept, and anything that gets STAB on Earthquake is worth keeping around for battle purposes. Camerupt all the way.

(And as far as designs go, don't get me started on Sharpedo's Mega Evo.)

I guess Camerupt just because a volcano camel is more creative in my opinion than an evil pinball-shark. Although, Sharpedo learns Hyper Beam via TM...

Attachments

• s1.png
    s1.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,686
Sharpedo, it is faster and has a cooler design. I like Mega Camerupt's design better than Mega Sharpedo's, though.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom