• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Contest-of-the-Week: Cradily vs Armaldo

Winterdaze

fight me
Reaction score
Welcome to Contest-of-the-Week! With the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on the horizon, the attention of Pokémon fans everywhere turns to Hoenn, and all the cool and interesting Pokemon that live there.

Every week, we'll be looking at a few of the many Pokémon you'll meet along your journey through the Hoenn region, and asking for your opinions on them and how they stack up next to their counterparts or rival Pokemon looking to fill the same spot on your team.

250px-346Cradily.png
vs
250px-348Armaldo.png

Stopping the evil Team's plot requires some lengthy backtracking to Mt Chimney, the quickest route being south from Meteor Falls and through Rusturf Tunnel to the east. Whichever way you go will take you back to Route 111, where sandstorms still blow in desert section of the route. You can't traverse it yet, but you'll be able to soon enough, and when you do this is where you'll find the fossils to revive into this region's fossil Pokemon, the anomalocaris Anorith and the sea lily Lileep.

The evolved forms of these Pokemon are both Rock types, and are good choices should you be needing one. Cradily fills doubly duty as a Grass type, and has solid balanced defences and decent balanced offenses. Armaldo may lack good moves for its Bug typing in RSE but it hits much harder than Cradily at the expense of less special bulk.

Which fossil do you prefer, and why?

-Which has the better design?
-Which one is easier to train?
-Which is more useful throughout the game?
-Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
-Which is more useful in the competitive environment?
-How do they compare to the fossil Pokemon from other regions?

Let the contest begin!

Next week:Flygon vs Altaria

Last edited:
Which has the better design?
Armaldo, no question. It's badass and awesome and one of my favorite fossil designs. Cradily is kinda cute, but only because I tend to view those swirly patterns on its face as its eyes rather than its real eyes. If those weren't there, I would care for the design at all.

Which one is easier to train?
I've never trained either. For me it would be Armaldo since he's more attack based and I tend to do better with attackers than defense based Pokemon like Cradily. Overall it depends on what the individual is better at training.

Which is more useful throughout the game?/Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
Depends on your team, but overall type wise I'd say Cradily.

How do they compare to the fossil Pokemon from other regions?
For this I'll just rank the fossils fav to least fav. (Note this is based mainly on appearance)

Rampardos
Aurorus
Tyrantrum
Aerodactyl
Armaldo
Bastiodon
Carracosta
Archeops
Cradily
Kabutops
Omastar

So yeah, they're not to high up their in my fav list.

Overall Armaldo is my favorite of these 2.

Tricky, something thing that could molest me or a awesome dinosaur bug?

Hm... I choose awesome dinosaur bug.

I think I have a bias towards Armaldo because if that one extra story from PMD Explorers of Sky, "Igglybuff the Prodigy". I like its clawed design better. Cradily is kind of weird to me, especially because for all these years, I thought those markings on the head were its eyes. It wasn't until I saw the yellow spots in its "mouth" blinking that I realized they were eyes, not teeth...

I never trained either in the games. Never had the patience for fossil Pokemon early on. However, I think I'd like Armaldo better. In a main game playthrough, I like capitalizing on offense rather than defense.

As for competitive environment, I'm not sure, having never used either myself, but I'd imagine Cradily could last longer than Armaldo thanks to its better defense. I also remember that Cradily was one tough Pokemon when I faced it in RSE, against Steven Stone.

A tough question for me. Armaldo is straight up bad-ass, but Cradily is also really cool to me. I do like how it's the only plant-based (or plant-looking, if my knowledge is wrong) fossil Pokemon, so that may be it I suppose.

Despite my countless journeys in Hoenn, I never took on training these two. I just didn't feel like going the extra mile to level them up.

Hm... A tie, I suppose? Cradily's grass-type would be helpful against the eighth gym, whereas Armaldo's bug-type would be helpful against the seventh.

Again, it's a tie.

Neither. ._.

Cradily and Armaldo are probably my favorite fossil Pokemon. I'd say that they're both in my top three favorite fossil Pokemon.

While I prefer Anorith, Armaldo is my pick here. Me being the paleontology nerd I am, Anorith is actually what got me interested in Pokémon in the first place. I remember browsing deviantart late one night back in late July 2011, looking up Anomalocaris art, and then I stumbled upon Anorith fanart. I was really impressed with Pokémon for having something based on an animal so obscure, so I started to look up info about Anorith and other Pokémon. I visited websites like TvTropes, deviantart, and Bulbapedia, to learn more about Pokémon over the following months, and then I got White for Christmas later that year, and the rest was history. So yeah, if it wasn't for Anorith, I wouldn't be on this forum right now, or even have paid attention to the franchise at all.

In terms of aesthetics my preference would go to Armaldo since its design seems to be more intricate than Anorith.

I find Armaldo easier to train since his attack can actually damage opponents faster and can save time when grinding for levels.

In the main game/campaign it seems Armaldo seems to be more useful because offense is more useful against the AI in the interest of saving time. When it comes to battling against another person however, Anorith has more utility.

Neither will be better, I think they might fare worse due to the introduction of Megas and rampant power creep wrought by Game Freak in 6th gen.

In their current state due to power creep, both Armaldo and Anorith are obsolete when there are much better alternatives in competitive Pokémon.

In terms of originality I would rank them high due to their originality and obscurity in origin which would suggest Game Freak put alot of thought in designing these Pokémon.

Both are pretty good... but I prefer Cradily because I like its bell like head and its eight... Dookieshed damn you!

Both are the same?

No clue, probably Armaldo.

Cradily.

Cradily, I've seen it do some pretty awesome things.

Well they're not Tyrantrum. However Cradily ranks 3rd for my favourite fossil Pokemon. Not sure about Armaldo as it's not my least favourite.

-Which has the better design? Cradily
-Which one is easier to train? Armaldo I guess
-Which is more useful throughout the game? dunno
-Which do you think will be better in ORAS? idk
-Which is more useful in the competitive environment? well cradily is hard to kill and can set up with curse and stuff, but armaldo has rapid spin. Idk
-How do they compare to the fossil Pokemon from other regions? Omastar is still my favorite fossil but I like Cradily too

Cradily. I love its mysterious yet crazy design.

I wanna say either as both of them feel easy-ish to train.

I feel Cradily is more useful, especially if you get the Alpha Sapphire. Cradily has Storm Drain that makes it immune to water-type and raises its Special Attack.

Either, depends on what role you're looking for.

Well obviously, neither this two have a chance in OU. But Cradily's Storm Drain is really helpful in Double Battles.

These two are actually my least favorite fossils.

Armaldo easily. Its a really cool Pokemon, and its awesome that they made a pokemon based off such an obscure creature. I mean come on, this guy was THE FIRST apex predator.

So now it's the Fossils. I have to say I think Cradily's design is better. I just find it strangely cute~ I've never used either, so I can't say which is easier to train. Both have their uses in their unique typings so they aren't super weak to a whole buncha sh*t and that probably makes them easier to train, too. Depends on if you're looking for one that's offensive or defensive. I'm thinking Armaldo will be better in ORAS. Most people don't go through the games with Wall Pokemon, and Armaldo fits the bill of the attacker of the two.

I think Cradily is better in competitive. Again, good typing and it's pretty bulky and annoying if you let it set up and spam Recover.

As for how they compare to the other Fossils, honestly, in terms of design, Armaldo might be my least favorite of all the Fossil Pokemon. I don't know, I just don't find it very appealing. Cradily, however, is right up there with Bastiodon, Aurorus, and Archeops.

Armaldo, I like its Attack stat and movepool with moves like Knock Off, Aqua Jet, Liquidation and Low Kick. Cradily is good, too, especially with Recover, but it doesn't hit very hard.

I've always been a big fan of Cradily. It's my second favourite fossil Pokemon after Kabutops.
I think it has an interesting design. Never used one though unfortunately.
Armaldo isn't too bad either. Actually now that I think of it, the Hoenn fossil duo is probably my favourite fossil duo introduced so far. Usually there is one introduced each generation that I'm a bit 'meh' on, but I genuinely like both of these ones.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom