• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Contest-of-the-Week: Flygon vs Altaria

Winterdaze

fight me
Reaction score
Welcome to Contest-of-the-Week! With the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on the horizon, the attention of Pokémon fans everywhere turns to Hoenn, and all the cool and interesting Pokemon that live there.

Every week, we'll be looking at a few of the many Pokémon you'll meet along your journey through the Hoenn region, and asking for your opinions on them and how they stack up next to their counterparts or rival Pokemon looking to fill the same spot on your team.

250px-330Flygon.png
vs
250px-334Altaria.png

The first order of business back at Mt Chimney is to stop the evil team's plot to make the volcano erupt using the meteorite. After fighting your way through the grunts blocking the way, you'll have to face down Maxie or Archie for the first time. Once their plot has been thwarted, the way to Lavaridge and your fifth badge will be clear. Once you get the Heat Badge, Brendan or May will arrive to congratulate you with the Go Goggles, finally allowing you to explore the desert part of Route 111.

There, you'll find the antlion Pokemon Trapinch. While it may not look like it, Trapinch is one of two Pokemon available in the game so far that can evolve into a Dragon type. The other you've already had the chance to catch outside of Meteor Falls: the unassuming cotton bird Pokemon Swablu. Both their evolutions are not quite what you would expect from a dragon, with Altaria being a fluffy, cottony bird while Flygon has something of an insect-like appearance.

Flygon is pretty balanced as far as dragons go, as all of its stats save speed and attack are equal. Its Ground/Dragon typing and good movepool give it great coverage, and it can even serve as your flier should you not want to give up a team slot for a Flying type. Altaria is an oddball among dragons, favouring defence over offense. However it does learn Dragon Dance shortly after evolving, which helps compensate for its low offensive stats. It also gained a Mega evolution in ORAS, something Flygon only wishes it had.

Which Dragon do you prefer, and why?

-Which has the better design?
-Which one is easier to train?
-Which is more useful throughout the game?
-Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
-Which is more useful in the competitive environment?
-Do you think both should have had a Mega evolution?

Let the contest begin!

Next week:Slaking vs Exploud

Flygon has been one of my favourite Pokemon for a long time... I do like Altaria but not as much

Flygon. I prefer the colour scheme of it and general design with its awesome googles!
Altaria certainly doesn't have a bad design and I do really like Altaria but I like Flygon's design just that bit more.

Altaria because Flygon evolves really freaking late!

I used Flygon on my Emerald playthrough and it served me very well!

Altaria if it's the only one to get a mega. Flygon may be able to be better if it gets a better moves pool and mega.

Currently are semi equal but probably Flygon is better.

You're telling me Flygon didn't get a mega?
Bollocks.

Because yes; both should have megas.

I really like both of these Pokémon, but I'm leaning more towards Altaria, just because the sky has always been really beautiful to me, and Altaria is pretty much the "sky Pokémon."
Do you think both should have had a Mega Evolution?- No, just because it's hilarious to me just how badly people want Mega Flygon (TrollFreak's killing the fandom with the suspense).

Which has the better design?
Altaria is cute and all, but Flygon looks so awesome. I love the red lenses over its eyes.

Which one is easier to train?
I've only ever trained a Flygon, and it was pretty lame until it fully evolved. But honestly they're both pretty lackluster compared to other dragon-types.

Which is more useful throughout the game?/Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
Depends on your team and what coverage you want.

Do you think both should have had a Mega evolution?
I honestly don't really care. I don't see myself using Mega Altaria more than once, so I doubt it would be any different with Flygon unless I really liked it.

My pick goes to Flygon.

Which has the better design: Flygon. While I don't mind Altaria's design, Flygon has a more unique and interesting appearance. Plus the "goggles" it has are just plain cool.

Which is easier to train: That's a toss up. Both have lackluster early stages, with Swablu's low power and Trapinch's dismal speed. Vibrava is a bit easier once it evolves, but both are pretty hard to train. So this question could be decided with a coin toss.

Which is more useful throughout the game: Flygon. It has better type coverage, its Ground moves pack a punch, and it can make the most out of its moves more easily.

Which do you think is better in ORAS: That's another toss up. But, seeing how Altaria got a Mega and Flygon didn't, I might have to lean more toward Altaira. But it really kinda boils down to what your needs are.

Which is more useful in competitive environment: While Altaria's Mega form has given it some newfound power, Flygon still has better coverage and more flexible moves and skills. So, Flygon.

Do you think both should have a Mega evolution: If Flygon got a Mega (which the fandom has been BEGGING and whining for), it would tilt the odds into its favor even more. Both should have a Mega, as they are, in a sense, counterparts, so they should both have an equal chance there.

So my vote goes to Flygon.

This is gonna be a tough one for me. We have here my favorite Ground-type and my favorite Flying-type Pokemon, respectively. Well, I have to say, Flygon takes it for better design. It just looks cooler. Altaria has a cuter look, which isn't bad, but for a Dragon, the tougher look is a bit more appealing. Altaria is hordes easier to train since it requires, I believe, only 800,000 experience to get to Lv. 100, meaning it levels much easier. I know from Emerald personally how hard it is to train a Flygon seeing as it evolves so late, as well.

I'd be willing to say Flygon is more useful, as Dragon/Ground is a pretty decent typing considering both at 4X weak to Ice and Ground is a bit better of an offensive typing than Flying. I'm guessing Flygon will be better in ORAS than it was in RSE due to all the good moves it can take advantage of now, though Mega Altaria will destroy it otherwise.

Not including Megas, Flygon is considered the better competitive Pokemon, though Mega Altaria will certainly be better than it. I do wish (and still hope for) Flygon gets a Mega Evolution, as well. It's such a popular Pokemon and one of my personally favorites, I already know a Mega could help it compete with the other OP Dragons we have now.

Altaria for sure. First off, they're both dragon types, but mega altaria is a fairy proving resistance and double the attack against flygon. Also, regular alter is a flying type so flygon's ground attacks won't do anything at all! However, if you're going to talk about looks, then flygon wins it for me. He just looks like a sort of pilot (the red lenses on his eyes). I also like the colour scheme, because it has a sort of traditional look about it. Whereas altaria just has blue and white (although its mega's pink shin colour looks a bit cool). For training, well they're both dragon types (you get what i mean) but if i had to choose, i'd use altaria. it has a mega and the flying type advantage. Well thats my opinion, i choose you: FLYGON

Altaria! It's just so soft and happy-looking. Flygon's no slouch, though.

Never used Altaria before, but I can only assume it's easier. Trapinch and Vibrava can be downright painful to train. They're just so weak.

They're both pretty good, though personally I'd go with Flygon. STAB Earthquake is good, Ground typing is good, and the fact that it's not a Flying type means that it can learn Fly for utility purposes without potentially giving up a slot for a better move - you don't have the redundancy of having to run Fly and Brave Bird together.

Altaria's Mega evolution will give it the edge here, in all likelihood. If only...

Altaria probably? That Mega's probably gonna give it the edge... ...if only...

Obviously.

Final Verdict: Myriad as Altaria's advantages are, I like Flygon more. Oh well. Flygon wins.

I love them both, but I think Flygon is better. It makes me think of a desert explorer or something.

I've only ever trained a Flygon, but it wasn't very hard, so I'll go with that.

Flygon's ground typing and the fact that it gets Levitate and Fly make it pretty damn good.

I hate to say it, but Altaria if it gets a mega and Flygon doesn't.

Idk, I don't battle competitively.

YUSH.

This is an extremely one-sided one for me, but I'll try to keep you in at least a little bit of suspense as to which I prefer.

Sure, flygon may be fancy, but altaria's just so beautiful! Uh, well, there goes the suspense. But seriously, altaria's just so cute and pretty! Easily one of my absolute favourites.

You get flygon very late out of its evolution, but at least its earlier forms are stronger than swablu. Points to altaria here, though, I think.

I used a flygon in Black 2 and an altaria in Alpha Sapphire. Flygon was good, at least usually, but I did find altaria more useful overall. She was, after evolving, one of my strongest or at least most consistent team members. I think I just like defensive things a bit, though.

Again, I found altaria to be great, and never even used her mega apart from once against a wild pokemon to see what it looked like.

Previously, flygon, but having a mega swings this around in favour of altaria. I've found the mega quite capable of being really annoying to the other player, with defensive sets, but it can hit powerfully as well.

Actually, though, I don't really like mega altaria. I didn't object to it nearly as much as I'd expected when I read the terrible news of it having one, but I'm not a huge fan. Whereas I am a huge fan of the original. I think flygon may have been a better candidate for a mega, if either of them had to get one. So I think flygon should have a mega, but altaria should not.

As I said, very one-sided. Every point was ended in favour of altaria being my favourite (I don't like megas for things I like, as a general rule). So I return to my original point - flygon's a good pokemon, but altaria's just so damn cute!

Both designs are pretty cool. I do favour Altaria's design more though, as it's pretty cute and is not your stereotypical Dragon (not that Flygon is, but its design leans more that way than Altaria imo.) Mega Altaria seems to vaguely take from peacocks (or maybe even some birds of paradise with those long streamer-like tail) which is cool too.

Flygon probably. Swablu is really hard to train, gaining EXP pretty slowly and being weak. Trapinch might be slow but its fairly strong which is easy to get by with. I don't think much will have changed in Gen VI; I used Flygon in B2 and Altaria in W2 (iirc) and Altaria was hard to train because it's pretty weak. Bulk is nice, but doesn't really help when your moves do less. So Flygon has the clear edge here, being faster and stronger which makes it easier to train in general. Altaria itself does gain EXP pretty fast later on though.

Probably Flygon. Not only for being easier to use like I said above, but because it can learn a few useful HMs if you need it to.

Didn't use either in ORAS, so I'm not speaking from experience, but I'd say probably Altaria. It might be weaker and harder to train (as a Swablu in the latter case), but by the time you hit Lilycove you can get Mega Altaria and it'll just be far stronger than Flygon, has a better typing + bulk and has Dragon Dance + Pixilate Return to blow through the last parts of the game. That's just my impression though, I haven't used either in ORAS (yet-I plan to use Altaria soon).

Prior to Mega Altaria then Flygon easily but regular Altaria is plain mediocre which is sad :( However Mega Altaria is absolutely amazing (and I will say that I totally called it back when it was revealed, even though people were disagreeing with me and saying it wouldn't be good!) and miles above Flygon.

Yes of course. It isn't fair that Pokemon that could really use Megas (like Flygon, and of course Altaria before it got one) don't get one. Flygon just needs some focus and I'm sure it will become good. Plus it could use a better stat spread so it isn't a straight up inferior Garchomp stat-wise (I don't like Garchomp!).

Altaria easily wins this for me. I just prefer it in general and its Mega has only caused that like to increase more (not a huge fan of its weird cloud hat and bib though...). Flygon is ok and when I was younger was easily a favourite of mine, but I've fallen out of interest over the years and I find it kinda boring these days. Here's hoping the future looks bright for Flygon! :0

I also have to give special mention to Winona's annoying Altaria back in Gen III. That thing gave me so much trouble at the time. ORAS it wasn't really a problem, sadly.

Cotton Candy Dragon is my favorite between those two.

Flygon definitely looks cool with its bug-like design (a true shame it isn't bug/dragon), but I have a soft stop for cuteness, so Altaria is an easy pick here.

I like both, but Flygon has a better movepool and looks cooler. Mega Altaria is much more useful, though. Still, I'll go with Flygon.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom