• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Contest-of-the-Week: Linoone vs Mightyena

Winterdaze

fight me
Reaction score
Welcome to Contest-of-the-Week! With the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on the horizon, the attention of Pokémon fans everywhere turns to Hoenn, and all the cool and interesting Pokemon that live there.

Every week, we'll be looking at a few of the many Pokémon you'll meet along your journey through the Hoenn region, and asking for your opinions on them and how they stack up next to their counterparts or rival Pokemon looking to fill the same spot on your team.

250px-264Linoone.png
vs
262Mightyena.png

After saving Professor Birch and receiving your starter Pokemon, you set out from Route 101 to continue your journey. Along the route, you'll find the Normal type racoon Zigzagoon, and the Dark type hyena Poochyena.

Both evolve early and are reasonably powerful at that point in the game. Linoone is able to scavenge for useful items with its Pickup ability and can learn a number of different HMs, while Mightyena can take the edge off tough opponents with Intimidate and has a type advantage over some of the more difficult bosses in the game.

Which early-game mammal is your favourite, and why?

-Which has the better design?
-Which one is easier to train?
-Which is more useful throughout the game?
-Which is more useful in the competitive environment?
-Do you usually drop them at a later point in the game, or keep them on your team until the end?

Let the contest begin!

Next week: Beautifly vs Dustox

-Extremely wide moveset
-Fast as hell
-Cool and sleek design
-One weakness
-Belly Drum
-Better stat distribution

No contest, Linoone is far superior to that mangy mutt of a hyena-dog-thing that is Mightyena.

I prefer Linoone to usefulness in-game, and Mighteyana to aesthetics. However, Linoone wins since its pre-evo has Pick Up for RS, which makes my life easier as a whole. Linoone also has Belly Drum and great speed, not to mention a decent in-game typing. Linoone wins.

(Oh, and by the way, Winterdaze, Cherche is one of my favorite units from FE:A)

Linoone is a must to anyone training five or less Pokemon in Hoenn; it's the best slot-filler you'll find. The four HMs it learns are the ones essential to getting through the early game, making it the perfect HM slave. But if HM slaves aren't your way to go, it has a great set of moves for any trainer to choose from. It's ability (specifically Pickup) is also noteworthy, because it will save you trips from the Poké Mart/Center. In short, you can't go wrong with Linoone in your party.

On the other-hand, Mightyena is... Okay, in my eyes. With the majority of its moves being either dark or normal-type, Mightyena's move-pool is nothing to rave about. It will get completely blocked by some of the more bulkier Pokemon, and due to its weakness to fighting-type moves, it's not too helpful in the early game, unlike Linoone. It will fair okay against Roxanne, but against Brawly and Wattson? Afraid not. Brawly's Pokemon make up for Intimidate with their moves, and Wattson's Pokemon are special attackers. I suppose that its only charm is its ability, but between that and Pickup, I'd rather have Linoone.

Last edited:
Linoone being an HM slave means it has a wide, wide movepool. It's got a great design but doesn't have the typing of Bibarel. As Life pointed out, Pickup proves to be very useful during the game. Mighyena on the other hand is a cool looking Pokemon that you can also obtain during the early routes but proves to be no help at all. The second Gym Leader is a Fighting type user and Dark was a special type before the Physical/Special split. If you wanted a Dark type in Hoenn, you were better off waiting for Absol. With Mightyena's barebones moveset and low Sp. Atk, it couldn't help you much.

Linoone for me, nothing against Mightyena still love that Pokemon too (I know I will have both in my first run)

-Which has the better design? - Linoone wins - I love mustelids, Linoone based on a weasel/ferret is my main reason for being much better than Mightyena.

-Which one is easier to train? - have lots of experience with both so they are easy for me to train, no matter the ability or nature or gender... I can work with them

-Which is more useful throughout the game? - Linoone if it has the Pick-Up Ability, makes the game easier, either way depending on the opponent's Pokemon both could be easier or very hard/tough to use

-Which is more useful in the competitive environment? - don't know about Competitive

-Do you usually drop them at a later point in the game, or keep them on your team until the end? - with Linoone it always stays the entire time - never leaves my teams if it is part of one - same with Mightyena.

Six to one half a dozen to the other - When I played R/S years ago, it simply came down to whoever I caught first. However, if I was to base my decision on purely design and aesthetics, Mightyena all the way.

It's not that simply though. Linoone's Pick Up ability is great in-game and he gets a wide movepool (including HMs and Play Rough and Belly Drum), plus his better speed stat gives him an advantage over Mightyena.

I'm hoping for Mega Mightyena this generation, and if it wasn't for his lack of moves and general disadvantage to early Trainers and Gym Leaders, he could be quiet a powerful Pokémon- keeping in mind he has the same base stats as Azumarill.

Mightyena because I prefer the design and I don't like HM slaves on my team and Mightyena served me well on my Emerald playthrough with eating everything in its path with Crunch! Want to take me on now Phoebe and Psychic gym, eh?

I love both of them, and although Linoone might be the "better" Pokemon, my Mightyena always was the one who was their until the end. Besides, Mightyena looks really cool!

Mightyena for me. Dark types forever!

Linoone's pretty cool, but Mightyena is cooler overall. I mostly like Zigzagoon over Linoone. .-.

-Which has the better design?

Definitely Mightyena~ Not even a question.

-Which one is easier to train?

I've never trained a Linoone, but I'm willing to be it's easier to train in RSE because it actually gets to uses it's beneficial stats for its STAB attacks, whereas Mightyena can't. That does actually make it a bit of a pain to train, and it doesn't get very good moves.

-Which is more useful throughout the game?

I'd guess Linoone since it's pretty much known as an HM slave.

-Which is more useful in the competitive environment?

I'd guess Linoone since it gets Belly Drum to wreck stuff with. Like I said before, Mightyena doesn't really get anything to help it out.

-Do you usually drop them at a later point in the game, or keep them on your team until the end?

Again, I've only used Mightyena, but I've never dropped it. Always to the end~

Ugh, man this is so tough. I love both and I actually used both on my team in my Emerald playthrough.

Which has the better design?
I like them both and they each have their own quirks. Mightyena is cool and ferocious while Linoone is cool and adorable. Tie.

Which one is easier to train?
I honestly think Linoone was back then with it's awesome Headbutt. Mightyena's moves weren't all that impressive, but they were both pretty equal. Also, less weaknesses.

Which is more useful throughout the game?
Again, Linoone with Headbutt and overall better move variety. Not to mention less weaknesses.

Do you usually drop them at a later point in the game, or keep them on your team until the end
Both stayed til the end. I never considered dropping either one.

I know I gave Linoone more good points, but I still love Mightyena all the same. I wish there was both option because I love both equally!

Linoone, it looks cooler and gets Extreme Speed. I still do like Mightyena, though.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom