• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Contest-of-the-Week: Solrock vs Lunatone

Winterdaze

fight me
Reaction score
Welcome to Contest-of-the-Week! With the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on the horizon, the attention of Pokémon fans everywhere turns to Hoenn, and all the cool and interesting Pokemon that live there.

Every week, we'll be looking at a few of the many Pokémon you'll meet along your journey through the Hoenn region, and asking for your opinions on them and how they stack up next to their counterparts or rival Pokemon looking to fill the same spot on your team.

250px-338Solrock.png
vs
250px-337Lunatone.png

Inside Meteor Falls you'll find Professor Cosmo, who is researching one of the meteorites found there. However the meeting is quickly interrupted by a visit from the evil team, who steal the meteorite for their scheme to make Mt Chimney erupt. Before you give chase it might pay to pickup some new allies, and the two version exclusive meteorite Pokemon found here could fit the bill.

Since Solrock and Lunatone have the same the same Rock/Psychic typing and ability it's not too surprising that the two are very similar, the main difference being that Solrock focuses on Attack and Defense and Lunatone on Special Attack and Special Defense. In the original GBA games this means Solrock might be the better choice if you need a Rock type, while Lunatone fills the role of a Psychic type better.

Which version exclusive meteorite do you prefer, and why?

-Which has the better design?
-Which one is easier to train?
-Which is more useful throughout the game?
-Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
-Which is more useful in the competitive environment?
-Do you think they should have had the same typing?

Let the contest begin!

Next week:Armaldo vs Cradily

-Which has the better design?

Hands down Lunatone. I've loved its design ever since I was little, though that may just be because I like the moon better than the sun.

-Which one is easier to train?

It's really equal. They're so similar that training goes the same with both of them.

-Which is more useful throughout the game?

I guess it depends what kind of a player you are and what spot you want to fill on your team. Though similar, they both fill different spots. It's hard to choose.

-Which do you think will be better in ORAS?

^^^

-Which is more useful in the competitive environment?

Hmm... I would have to say Lunatone. Rock really isn't the best type in competitive play, so I think that Lunatone's stats and certain moves would be better than Lunatone's.

-Do you think they should have had the same typing?

Sometimes I think that they should have been Rock/Fire and Rock/Water, or Psychic/Fire and Psychic/Water just to split them apart. Though I suppose making Solrock a fire-type and Lunatone a water-type would have been a tad obvious, so in a way I think the decision to make them both Rock/Psychic was okay. It would have also given Lunatone the upper-hand, so I suppose that's another factor in why they didn't go down that road.

I prefer Solrock's design. I've always liked the Fire attributes, so I naturally drift more towards the Pokemon that looks like the sun. I imagine both are equal in terms of training difficulty being that they're nearly identical. As for which is more useful throughout the game, I suppose it depends on if you're looking for a more Physically-based Pokemon or a more Specially-based one.

To be honesty, I think Lunatone may end up being more useful in ORAS. It got Moonblast, and with it already being the more Special of the two, it now has a really effective way to handle Dark-types. In fact, I'm pretty sure Lunaton is better in competitive, and I say this because it's the only on of the two I've ever seen in Wi-Fi.

I don't see what other type they could have had. Maybe Rock/Fire for Solrock, but Lunatone doesn't scream anything other than Rock/Psychic, unless you maybe wanted him to be Rock/Ice because...the moon is cold, I guess? Nah, them having the same typing is fine.

Which has the better design?
I don't know why but I've always been draw to Solrock more. Don't know why though...

Which one is easier to train?/Which is more useful throughout the game?/Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
Never trained either/Depends on your team./Same as 2

Do you think they should have had the same typing?
I mean, I don't know what other typing they could have had except maybe fire for Solrock and ice for Lunatone in addition to their rock types. But personally I don't have a problem with them being the same type. They're counterparts after all.

My vote is for Solrock.

Lunatone wins over Solrock for me. I just think it's got a better design. Kinda creepy, but also fits well with what it's supposed to represent. Solrock's got something goin' on with its eyes that just turns me off. I guess it's... squinting, because... you squint at the sun? I don't know. Of course, part of this may also be due to my Sapphire bias, but I think it's mostly a design thing. Lunatone also fits its typing a lot better than Solrock (I'm in the camp who totally thinks it should have been Rock/Fire). Maybe I'll learn to like Solrock when I get OmegaRuby, but for now, Lunatone gets my vote.

I'm actually a fan of Lunatone over Solrock. For a long time, I thought Solrock was really weird and never gave it a chance. Plus, the moon is so much prettier than the sun in my opinion.
I also have a bad habit of always using Special Attackers over Physical ones for some odd reason.

Both are good Pokemon though, and it's cool that they can be similar and still fill different roles.

I love Lunatone because I love the moon. ♥ The sun is great but the moon is so calming! I think Lunatone has a cooler, more eery design. I also have good memories of training a Lunatone in Sapphire.

SOLROCK WANTS TO EAT MY SOUL!
So I vote for Lunatone! I think Lunatone's stronger anyway, and is a cool moon 'mon!

-Which has the better design? lunatone
-Which one is easier to train? lunatone I guess, relies on more accurate attack moves
-Which is more useful throughout the game? solrock probs
-Which do you think will be better in ORAS? solrock
-Which is more useful in the competitive environment? still solrock
-Do you think they should have had the same typing? eh, sure. They're different enough I guess.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom