• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Contest-of-the-Week: Zangoose vs Seviper

Winterdaze

fight me
Reaction score
Welcome to Contest-of-the-Week! With the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on the horizon, the attention of Pokémon fans everywhere turns to Hoenn, and all the cool and interesting Pokemon that live there.

Every week, we'll be looking at a few of the many Pokémon you'll meet along your journey through the Hoenn region, and asking for your opinions on them and how they stack up next to their counterparts or rival Pokemon looking to fill the same spot on your team.

250px-335Zangoose.png
vs
250px-336Seviper.png

There's not a whole lot to see in Fallarbor Town, so before long you'll be setting off south along Route 114 to Meteor Falls. Here yet another pair of version exclusive Pokemon can be found, Zangoose in the Ruby version and Seviper in Sapphire and Emerald.

These two Pokemon are mortal enemies, and aside from their relative frailty they have little in common. Zangoose is quick and hits extremely hard with physical attacks, while Seviper is slow but has a rather diverse movepool and can use both physical and special moves equally well.

Which version exclusive do you prefer, and why?

-Which has the better design?
-Which one is easier to train?
-Which is more useful throughout the game?
-Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
-Which is more useful in the competitive environment?
-Do you think they are balanced compared with one another? Should they be?
-Are these Pokemon going to influence your decision on which version to buy?

Let the contest begin!

Next week: Solrock vs Lunatone

Now this is one I've been waiting for. Zangoose undoubtedly has the better design. I've always liked anything with claws and Zangoose is no exception. Not only that, it's scar-like markings on it's face and the "M" on his stomach are just as cool and give off such an intimidating vibe. Like you don't want to mess with Zangoose. And then Shiny Zangoose with the blood-red claws? Sorry Seviper, Zangoose easily wins here. But not only there, it's also easier to train by a lot. Not only is it because it's a better attacker, but because it only needs 600,000 Exp. for level 100, while Seviper needs much more.

There's no doubt Zangoose is more useful in game and that he'll be better in ORAS. With Toxic Boost, Close Combat, and Facade, the thing is an absolute monster, which is also why he's better competitively.

As for it they're balanced...clearly no. Mongoose kills snake. Mongoose has an ability that prevents Poisoning from the snake or getting an amazing Attack boost when Poisoned by the snake. Mongoose basically destroys the snake in every aspect. Which is how it is in real life. So, no they shouldn't even be balanced since they're accurately portraying their real life counterparts.

Unfortunately, for all the praise I've given Zangoose, no. I'm still getting Alpha Sapphire. As is the case with my preferred Mawile, the Box Legend is paramount in the decision of which version I get, so I'll still be choosing the version where they don't appear as my main game of chose.

I personally would say Zangoose has the better design, snakes are kinda boring to me and I don't see much based off of mammals like a mongoose in other games I play.
I'm honestly not sure. I've never actually trained them, because they've never quite made it to being on one of my E4 teams. Ever.
Let's see, well, I judge the usefulness of Pokemon I've never really used in a team based on the HMs they can learn. Zangoose, apparently, can only learn 1 HM: Strength. I mean, it's also good as a False Swipe'r, which adds up when trying to Catch 'em All. Seviper can also only learn the HM Strength and no others. Unlike Seviper, Zangoose can learn False Swipe, so I rank it higher than Seviper.
Zangoose. To me, Normals are better with using any move.
I honestly don't know.
Nope, don't think that. I think they should though.
Nope.

Seviper, no contest. Zangoose actually looks kinda dumb to me, but Seviper is rad as hell looking, and one of the few cool Poison-types imo.

Seviper HANDS DOWN!! WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY COOLER then Zangoose IMO. I just find Zangoose VERY BORING! Who knows, maybe I Like Seviper mor just due to the Fact that Jessie's Seviper appeared all the Time, and Seviper was in my First Pokemon Game when I Got a Used Emerald Game, but I just find Seviper more Interesting.

Which has the better design?
Zangoose. Looks like a badass killer cat. Seviper is cool and intimidating and all, but Zangoose just looks much more dangerous and fierce. Not to mention badass and awesome.

Which one is easier to train?
I'm pretty sure I've never trainer either, but I'd say Zangoose because of better moves and stats.

Which is more useful throughout the game?/Which do you think will be better in ORAS?
Well Seviper has 2 weakness, no immunities, but 5 resistances and can deal SE damage with STAB. Zangoose has 1 weakness, 1 immunity, but no resistances and can't to SE damage with STAB. It''s a pretty hard choice for me honestly. I think I might pick Seviper personally, but overall I'd say the most useful Pokemon would depend on whats already on your team. Same goes for which will be better.

Do you think they are balanced compared with one another? Should they be?
Uh...no. Mongoose beats snake. End of story. Seviper has nothing that can give it any sort of advantage against Zangoose. Zangoose has 2 different abilities to bypass Seviper's poison that it will always come out on top, as it should. That's one of things I like the most about these two.

Are these Pokemon going to influence your decision on which version to buy?
No, I'd get Omega Ruby regardless of which one appeared, because in the end Groudon>>>>>Kyogre. Besides, I could always just trade anyway.

But yeah, Zangoose wins for me.

Zangoose is technically the better Pokémon, I suppose, definitely when matched up with Seviper, but I'd be lying if I said my Sapphire bias didn't come into play here. Also, I used to really like snakes as a kid. I thought they were the coolest animal alive. And Seviper's right up there with Ekans and Arbok for me for being cool-looking snake Pokémon. It's gotta be Seviper, for those personal reasons.

Looks Better: Design-wise, Seviper has it won for me. Both normal and Shiny versions show its venomous side. While I like Zangoose well enough, Normal types are sorta bland. Its Shiny form gives it a boost, but Seviper wins the "beauty round" for me.

Easier to Train: I've used both over time, but I find Seviper easier.

More Useful: Seviper again. The Poison type is has grants it only two weaknesses, several resistances, and can deal with the new Fairy type well, while the Normal type has only one weakness, no resistances, no Super Effective moves of its type, but one immunity. Zangoose is obviously designed as a physical sweeper (more or less) while Seviper, while slower, can be a mixed hitter depending on how it's raised.

Balanced: Sadly, no, as that falls into Zangoose's favor. With both its abilities having power against the Poison status ailment (one repels while the other supercharges from it). It should be balanced, however, as, unlike Heatmor and Durant, these two are generally equal in terms of potential. But I guess it's just natural that way, as mongooses usually are the victor over snakes.

Influencing Game Choice: Doesn't matter, as I'm getting both versions anyway.

Winner: Seviper.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot one thing. While I don't dabble in competitive battles, I'd have to say that both would be fairly equal in such battles. Zangoose can easily block the very common Toxic move, either by resisting it altogether or gaining a power-boost from it, plus it has a wide range of moves at its disposal. Plus it's quick, which is only natural for a mongoose. At the same time, Seviper, as I stated before, can be a mixed hitter, but can also inflict quite a range of status ailments, such as poison, badly poisoned, and burn, and has received an attack arsenal boost as well. So in terms of competitive battles, it can pretty much be decided with a coin toss between these two.

Last edited:
I do not know but I always have positive thing about snakes(or snake-like, Dratini, Rayquaza and Gyarados) Pokemon. For TCG, I always have Arbok in my deck though I never used Seviper before, but I always go for Arbok.

Basically, I like Seviper and I go for Seviper's design. Looks deadly and dangerous despite it's "smiling-like" face.

-Which one is easier to train, which is more useful in the competitive environment?
I never trained both Pokemon before. But judging from the stats and abilities, it looks like Zangoose is much easier to train. In terms of competitive, I still go for Zangoose because of its two Abilities. It useful not just by countering Seviper but also for Toxic stallers in competitive scene.

-Which do you think will be better in ORAS, which is more useful throughout the game?
They both have their own use n battle and in-game. But I go for Seviper as part of my playthrough Pokemon line up. Because of its Shed Skin and Atl/Sp. Atk high stats.

Immunity and Toxic Boost makes Zangoose unfair for Seviper. I think they should be balance. Seviper must have Mold Break ability as it's secondary ability.

Nope! Though right now, I am still undecided on what version to buy.

Last edited:
Zangoose. Those scar-markings are striking and it's got those fierce eyes. Seviper's shiny form might be more eye-popping in X and Y, but its design can't beat Zangoose's warrior feel. Plus, how often do you see creatures based off of mongooses in video games?

Zangoose. Seviper drags too much in the Exp. department.

I haven't used either starting from an early point through post-game, but I think this depends on what a person feels has more utility to them. Zangoose gets high crit. moves, great type versatility for moves, plus, it's got False Swipe for catching wild Pokemon. Seviper's got tons of status moves and has a number of resistances with few weaknesses. Can't go wrong with either, really, so I could happily take either.

Probably Zangoose -- the fact that it's now able to have Toxic Boost and its expanded movepool only improve on it. 'Don't think that Seviper's gotten a comparable boon.

Not into competitive, but I imagine it would probably be Seviper, what with the massive amounts of status conditions and stat changes it can inflict/neutralize, combined with a solid offensive beyond that. Zangoose could have an advantage in damaging those who attempt to wear away teams with poison, but I assume Seviper would probably have the edge in general.

No, and I don't think they ought to be. IRL, mongooses usually win out against snakes and I always appreciated the tilt toward Zangoose in the games to that end.

Not individually, they wouldn't. Doesn't really matter since I'll be grabbing both versions, tho'

In my opinion, Seviper. Much cooler than a white feline with some red stripes. Its poison-typing doesn't hurt, eithier.

I've never used one for an in-game run, so I can't answer this.

^^^

Most likely Zangoose, though Seviper's updated move-pool may find some good use.

Also Zangoose. Its ability and moves give it some power that makes it trump over Seviper.

No and no. Like I said above, Zangoose's ability and moves are superior to Seviper's. Even though they are counterparts, I don't think they have to be equal. To me, it represents which species has the upper-hand in the relationship. ^^

Not in the slightest. The only thing that really matters to me is the box-art legendary.

For me - it's no contest at all, Zangoose easily wins my vote - being my current 5th favorite Pokemon helps it a lot (I would put Seviper somewhere in the 400ths or so favorite list) - I have my shiny Zangoose ready for my first team (hatched using Masuda Method)

-Which has the better design? - Zangoose for sure, sort of looks like half marten / half cat (I think bulbapedia says based on a mongoose! I also love mongoose in real life) - sadly for Seviper I'm not much a fan of reptiles.

-Which one is easier to train? - I found Zangoose easier to raise - giving all my experience raising and training Normal types in various teams & situations, Seviper was easy to raise in the right team

-Which is more useful throughout the game? - I know how to use Normal types a bit better than Poison types, so for me Zangoose is easier to raise and is more useful.

-Which do you think will be better in ORAS? - Zangoose for me! It will fit easily with the first team I have in mind

-Which is more useful in the competitive environment? - I probably will not play competitively

-Do you think they are balanced compared with one another? Should they be? - reading what others have said above for balance, I think Zangoose has it much easier

-Are these Pokemon going to influence your decision on which version to buy? - not at all! I'm going to anyways end up buying multiple copies of both games to play various teams and challenges

again Winner for me: Zangoose easily.

Last edited:
Which has the better design?
I think Zangoose has the better design. It just looks cooler.

Which is easier to train?
I haven't used Seviper, I only used Zangoose, so I can't say.

Which is more useful througout the game?
See above.

Which do you think will be more useful for ORAS?
Can't say as I probably won't use either for ORAS.

Which is more useful in the competitive environment?
Zangoose, because of a better movepool with moves like Close Combat and X-Scissor.

Do you think they are balanced compared with one another? Should they be?
They aren't balanced as zangoose is definitely better, and I don't care if they are balanced or not.

Are these Pokémon going to influence the version you buy?
No, as I said earlier, I won't use either.

Zangoose wins for me.

I love Seviper. Perfect design for a poisonous snake Pokémon. Zangoose's design is 3edgy5me.

Zangoose, it looks cooler, has a better Speed and movepool, and is also not as tedious to level up as Seviper.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom