• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Spectacular! Research Thread

The Outrage

Reaction score
Contests are back, but they seem to be taking a back-seat in terms of research. I thought I'd create a thread to share what I've discovered so far, and for people to share their discoveries.

Making Pokéblocks

1) The ingredients
As with the original games, Pokéblocks are made with berries of different flavors. Unlike the originals, where berries were assigned one (or even multiple flavors), berries in these games are assigned colours:

FlavorColor
RedCool
BlueBeauty
PinkCute
GreenClever
YellowTough

Another way berries affect the Pokeblocks made is the category they belong to. I have yet to discern what kind of category this is, but I assume it is based on either growth rates or their effects (generally the two are linked, but Gen VI had minor differentiations). Below is just an educated guess, but as you guys make Pokeblocks, you can test it and tell me how its working out.

Berry TypeBerry
Health*Cheri Berry, Chesto Berry, Rawst Berry, Aspear Berry, Persim Berry, Pecha Berry, Oran Berry, Leppa Berry, Lum Berry, Sitrus Berry
Health+*Leppa Berry, Lum Berry, Sitrus Berry
ContestFigy Berry, Wiki Berry, Mago Berry, Aguav Berry, Iapapa Berry
EVPomeg Berry, Kelpsy Berry, Qualot Berry, Hondew Berry,
Grepa Berry, Tamato Berry
TypeOcca Berry, Passho Berry, Wacan Berry, Rindo Berry, Yache Berry, Chople Berry, Kebia Berry, Shuca Berry, Coba Berry, Payapa Berry, Tanga Berry, Charti Berry, Kasib Berry, Haban Berry, Colbur Berry, Babiri Berry, Chilan Berry, Roseli Berry
Stat**Liechi Berry, Ganlon Berry, Salac Berry, Petaya Berry, Apicot Berry, Kee Berry, Maranga Berry
Rare Stat**Lansat Berry, Starf Berry
Event-onlyEnigma Berry, Micle Berry, Custap Berry, Jaboca Berry, Rowap Berry
*Gen VI differentiates them, but I believe they are same-category
**unclear whether these are separate or same categories

2) Blending Berries

Making Pokeblocks is now easier than ever. All you have to do is choose four berries, and you receive four Pokeblocks. Notable changes in Pokeblock mechanics seem to be the lack of level (instead now just Pokeblock and Pokeblock+) and feel. The former suggests that all Pokeblock of a specific type has the same effect, while the latter suggests there is no longer a feed limit. If there may be a feed limit, it certainly exceeds 38 Pokeblocks (combined normal and +)

2.1) Blending Pokeblocks of a specific color
As mentioned above, Pokeblock and Berry color reflect the contest stat they affect. To make a specific coloured Pokeblock, you need to blend multiple berries of that color (untested: blending four of the exact same berries). If you blend four berries of two different colours, you only get a mono-chromatic berry (mechanics unknown).

In order to make the elusive Rainbow Pokeblock, you need to blend four berries of four different colors.

2.2) Making Pokeblock+

As far as I can tell, you make Pokeblock+ by blending berries of different type categories. For instance:

PokeblockBerries Required
RainbowCherry, Pecha, Chesto, Aspear, Lum
Rainbow+Pecha, Wiki, Tamato, Shuca

It is still unclear whether you need to cross multiple categories to make a Pokeblock+, or just two, but this is how I have previously made both Rainbow and Rainbow+.

So what needs to be done?

As you guys are going off in your contests, you can confirm whether the above berry categories are true, and the boundaries for making Pokeblock and Pokeblock+. The moveset mechanics have also changed completely, as have appeal combinations.

I can say from the experience of the last hour that using four of the exact same berries seems to vary in results; using 4 Pinap berries yields 4 Pokeblocks, but using four Aspear berries or four Oran berries results in Pokeblocks+.

I'm still experimenting in a lot of things with contests, and since I lacked interest in them in the older gens I probably won't be able to help pinpoint most of the changes in mechanics, but since I beat the game I intend to devote the next few weeks to beating Master Rank for all of the cpntests and I'd be glad to help out in discovering appeal combinations and the various effects of each move.

Not really contest-related, but apparently Pokeblocks increases the Pokemon's affection so theoretically, you can evolve an Eevee into a Sylveon without ever using Amie if you max out its contest stats (maxed out stats led to 4 hearts).

People may have hated using Pokeblocks to evolve Feebas, but making Pokeblocks (since now you get 4) and feeding them to an Eevee is certainly easier than petting/feeding/playing in Amie just so your Eevee can gain affection.

*Not done with the game yet, and I just want to get information on Contests. If you have to spoiler some of the plot, please warn me in advance.

Not really contest-related, but apparently Pokeblocks increases the Pokemon's affection so theoretically, you can evolve an Eevee into a Sylveon without ever using Amie if you max out its contest stats (maxed out stats led to 4 hearts).

People may have hated using Pokeblocks to evolve Feebas, but making Pokeblocks (since now you get 4) and feeding them to an Eevee is certainly easier than petting/feeding/playing in Amie just so your Eevee can gain affection.

Now I get why my Swellow suddenly had increased affection - I noticed the battle effects changed for her when she suddenly tensed up when appearing in battle. I didn't play with her in Amie and only fed her a few pokeblocks for the contest.

Though, I have a question. Do Natures still affect what pokeblock they feed on well? Because there's nothing said about eating pokeblocks happily or disdainfully. They kinda just... eat them, and it's hard to tell if it's boosted well. If I ever want to evolve Feebas, then would it be necessary for me to breed one with the right Nature? Or will it only matter as long as I have good Pokeblocks?

Also, has anyone tried making Gold Pokeblocks? I forgot the ingredients :/ (dunno if they're even in ORAS)

Last edited:
I'm mad because I wasn't paying attention to which specific berries I'd used, but I did manage to make a Pink Pokeblock+ using two different pink-colored berries. More specifically, it gave me two Pokeblock+ candies for the two berries.

I've tried mixing different combinations of berry colors and it seems that some colors are somehow "dominant" over others? Maybe? Again I was messing around and not paying attention to which berries I was using, but I was a bit miffed when, instead of getting a Pink and a Green, I ended up with just Pinks.

*Not done with the game yet, and I just want to get information on Contests. If you have to spoiler some of the plot, please warn me in advance.

Now I get why my Swellow suddenly had increased affection - I noticed the battle effects changed for her when she suddenly tensed up when appearing in battle. I didn't play with her in Amie and only fed her a few pokeblocks for the contest.

Though, I have a question. Do Natures still affect what pokeblock they feed on well? Because there's nothing said about eating pokeblocks happily or disdainfully. They kinda just... eat them, and it's hard to tell if it's boosted well. If I ever want to evolve Feebas, then would it be necessary for me to breed one with the right Nature? Or will it only matter as long as I have good Pokeblocks?

Also, has anyone tried making Gold Pokeblocks? I forgot the ingredients :/ (dunno if they're even in ORAS)

I think, given that I currently have managed to feed my contest Dratini enough Pokeblocks of every color to max out 4/5 contest stats and 3/4 of the final stat and it's still willing to eat them without end, that feeding them is either limitless or a cap so high that I haven't reached it yet. Even stats that are fully maxed out she'll continue to eat blocks for if I'm not paying attention and accidentally feed them. I'm not sure if Natures affect them though, as the only difference in amounts I've seen appear to be dependent on how far the stat is filled. (i.e. if I haven't fed any green blocks, the first few will fill in a decent amount on the chart, but the more that particular section of star fills in, the less it fills with each subsequent block.)

So from the looks of things, the only real effort for evolving Feebas will be the time spent growing enough berries to make blocks.

Edit: I can post a photo of my Dratini's contest stats if people want, just to show exactly what I mean.

It's not complete, but I have an excel sheet with every Pokemon move (I think it's only missing Hoopa/volcanion moves), and most of their contest effects, appeal, etc on it. It's arranged in alphabetical order. I also have a list of the moves missing. Should I post it here, or somewhere else? It would be great to use this list to help update the actual wiki page, but I don't know about editing stuff like that.

Last edited:
I can verify that there are no limits to how many PokeBlocks your Pokémon can eat. I gave my Cosplay Pikachu over 50 PokeBlocks to maximize all of its contest stats.

There is something interesting to note.
One of the contest NPCs, a Rich Boy named Chaz, first appears when Lisia congratulates you after beating your first Hyper Rank contest. Chaz is very snobbish and looks down on you as a Coordinator, but at the same time he has a thing for Lisia. Chaz may sometimes compete in the Hyper or Master Rank contests. His partner is a female Machoke named Mecherie, and according to her trainer she has a crush on Lisia's Altaria.

If Lisia's Altaria is female, then this could mean the first same-sex attraction in a Pokémon game.

Last edited:
I can verify that there are no limits to how many PokeBlocks your Pokémon can eat. I gave my Cosplay Pikachu over 50 PokeBlocks to maximize all of its contest stats.

There is something interesting to note.
One of the contest NPCs, a Rich Boy named Chaz, first appears when Lisia congratulates you after beating your first Hyper Rank contest. Chaz is very snobbish and looks down on you as a Coordinator, but at the same time he has a thing for Lisia. Chaz may sometimes compete in the Hyper or Master Rank contests. His partner is a female Machoke named Mecherie, and according to her trainer she has a crush on Lisia's Altaria.

If Lisia's Altaria is female, then this could mean the first same-sex attraction in a Pokémon game.

If you talk to Lisia after your first Super (iirc) Contest won, she tells you that Ali is a boy, and she Lamphades the fact that it sounds like a girl's name

It looks like maxing a stat also gives a small boost to the stats next to it. I had a Milotic with maxed Beauty, Coolness, and Cuteness and he had an absolutely huge condition rating in the Beauty Contest.

Natures no longer affect which Pokeblocks a Pokemon likes. I had the luck of catching an Adamant Feebas and he took the normal amount of Pokeblocks to reach max Beauty. In addition, the Black Belt in Mossdeep makes a generic comment about Pokeblocks instead of telling you which type your Pokemon likes.

Mega-Evolving a Pokemon during a contest (by reaching five stars on the excitement meter) gives an enormous boost, way more than ordinary five star appeals.

Speaking of which, the ultimate appeals can be either of the Pokemon's types, seemingly biased towards the first one.

As you win Master Rank contests, the people in the Lilycove City Fan Club become your fans. They don't give you anything, they just creep on you. ._.

Combos are still the best way to win. In addition, getting your Pokemon 'pumped' (with the blue stars beneath their name) using an attack like Swords Dance gives you extra hearts on every subsequent appeal. So getting two or three stars and then pulling off a combo appeal seems to be the best way to get points outside of Mega-evolution.

You can get the rare berries from the Berry Master's wife by completing the phrase in ALL CAPS. For example, when she wants you to fill in COOL _____, you have to type in LATIOS. However, not all of the berries have the same stats as they used to. Spelon is now Pink and Watmel is Green. No idea why.

There's an element of random chance when berry-blending. Sometimes you'll get a normal batch of Pokeblocks, sometimes you'll get Pokeblock + with the exact same berries. Using "good" berries like Spelon or Chople will almost guarantee getting Pokeblock +.

I've heard that filling up the Art Museum with paintings (three different Pokemon for each type of contest) gives you something, but I haven't managed that yet.

Wallace is lisias uncle, wallace has an older sister jaun is mentioned (so he is canon still) and wallace jokingly states he'll steal the champion title from you.

beat all master rank contests and beat lisia once then participate in the master beauty contest you don't need to win but you'll go up against wallace and lisia and talk to them then after that go to the fan club in lilycove

@The Outrage;

I just created Super Rainbow Blocks (The rainbow blocks that have sprinkles on them)
Combination:
Passho, Wacan, Rindo, Chople
Yache, Chople, Kebia, Shuca
Coba, Baribi, Payapa, Chilan

Not a lot of info at all, but I found a good combination for Red Pokéblock +. It's 3 Razz Berries and 1 Nanab Berry. I'm trying to find more combinations now, so I'll share if I find anything interesting.

EDIT: Wow, after one test I found a recipe for Pink +. It's 3 Nanab Berries and 1 Figy Berry.

2nd EDIT: omg srs. Right after that I found a recipe for Blue +. It's 3 Chesto Berries and 1 Weaper Berry.

From what I've learned so far, it seems that you need to blend 3 berries of the color you want and 1 berry of a similar color.

3rd EDIT: It seems I'm on a roll. I just got Green +, using 3 Weaper Berries and 1 Oran Berry.

4th Edit: Seems I've found a combination for Yellow +. It's 3 Pinap Berries and 1 Hondew Berry.

Well, that's all of them found in a matter of seconds, aha. I guess I can make it into a neat little chart.

Red +3 Razz Berries + 1 Nanab Berry
Blue +3 Chesto Berries + 1 Weaper Berry
Pink +3 Nanab Berries + 1 Figy Berry
Green +3 Weaper Berries + 1 Oran Berry
Yellow +3 Pinap Berries + 1 Hondew Berry

I'm sure there are more, so I'll of course be staying on the lookout.

Last edited:
Has anyone discovered whether you can primal revert in contests and whether or not Rayquaza can Mega Evolve?

Has anyone discovered whether you can primal revert in contests and whether or not Rayquaza can Mega Evolve?

I SUMMON THE PRIMORDIAL TITAN OF DESOLATION. SEE THE WORLD BURN, MORTALS.

*enthusiastic applause*

Re: Lisia Contest

That's the one I use most against her, it's usually the only one that comes 3rd instead of second.

EDIT: Finally beat her, after about 6 tries. After sweeping the others without real effort, that was a bit of a difficulty upgrade.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom