• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Spectacular! Research Thread

Re: Lisia Contest

Has anyone managed to beat Lisia in the contest?

Better yet, can she be beaten? It's starting to feel like some crappy Kobayashi Maru...

I beat her rather easily. Here's what I did:

If you're doing the Beauty Master Rank, make sure that one of the participants include a Gorebyss to make things easier. I'll explain why later.

1. First round of appeals

It is recommended you let Lisia go first here. In short, don't bring a pokemon with maxed out stats. Let Lisia take the lead. If you happen to go first, Lisia will be using Round right behind you and gather a lot of hearts. It's not impossible to turn around the situation in that case, but anyways...

Use a Beauty move. Make sure you're not going first on the next round. The Gorebyss will use Agility to move up to the front in the next round. It's important you let the Gorebyss go first. The crowd's excitement level should be three stars at the end.

2. Second round of appeals

The Gorebyss will use Whirlpool, stopping the crowd's excitement at exactly four stars. Use whatever move and accumulate as many hearts as you can - something like Dragon Ascent or Double Edge, or use something that will guarantee you appeal first on the next round (Agility works, too). Just make sure you're going first on the next step.

3. Use a Beauty move - anything. It should bring the excitement level to 5 stars. You'll be able to perform your live appeal, Mega Evolve if you can (highly recommended) and accumulate all the hearts you need. The Gorebyss should be using Aqua Tail at this point.

4. You'll be going first at this point, so don't use a Beauty move if Lisia is right behind you. She's likely to use Round. Use something neutral like a Cute move. Focus on avoiding jams in case of other participants (the Gorebyss won't do you any harm)

5. Go all out :3

EDIT: And it seems, I'm kinda late. Ah well, I should put this on my blog instead :3

Re: Lisia Contest

Has anyone managed to beat Lisia in the contest?

Better yet, can she be beaten? It's starting to feel like some crappy Kobayashi Maru...

I beat her rather easily. Here's what I did:

If you're doing the Beauty Master Rank, make sure that one of the participants include a Gorebyss to make things easier. I'll explain why later.

1. First round of appeals

It is recommended you let Lisia go first here. In short, don't bring a pokemon with maxed out stats. Let Lisia take the lead. If you happen to go first, Lisia will be using Round right behind you and gather a lot of hearts. It's not impossible to turn around the situation in that case, but anyways...

Use a Beauty move. Make sure you're not going first on the next round. The Gorebyss will use Agility to move up to the front in the next round. It's important you let the Gorebyss go first. The crowd's excitement level should be three stars at the end.

2. Second round of appeals

The Gorebyss will use Whirlpool, stopping the crowd's excitement at exactly four stars. Use whatever move and accumulate as many hearts as you can - something like Dragon Ascent or Double Edge, or use something that will guarantee you appeal first on the next round (Agility works, too). Just make sure you're going first on the next step.

3. Use a Beauty move - anything. It should bring the excitement level to 5 stars. You'll be able to perform your live appeal, Mega Evolve if you can (highly recommended) and accumulate all the hearts you need. The Gorebyss should be using Aqua Tail at this point.

4. You'll be going first at this point, so don't use a Beauty move if Lisia is right behind you. She's likely to use Round. Use something neutral like a Cute move. Focus on avoiding jams in case of other participants (the Gorebyss won't do you any harm)

5. Go all out :3

EDIT: And it seems, I'm kinda late. Ah well, I should put this on my blog instead :3

My plan was to avoid entering with the goreybess and instead went for the elctrode, I brought a tough move (wild charge) and quick attack plus two beauty moves quick attack to go first next turn then wild charge to lower the stars this was mostly to avoid her going mega it worked

Lisia's not that hard to beat as long as you max your stats. Serebii says she'll always get first billing, but when I faced her my first time, I got first billing for the Appeal round. Just make sure you're holding the relevant scarf.

Does anyone know if you can do multiplayer contests like in RSE?

Thought I'd make mention that according to the official ORAS strategy guide I finally got my hands on, the Lansat and Starf berries you can receive from an NPC after winning 100/200 super battles respectively in the Battle Maison both guarantee pokeblock+ when used to make blocks.

Edit: Found the Contest section at the back and it mentions the following:
If you use more than one color of berry, then the color of the berry you used the most is likely to decide the color of the berry.
The more berries of the same color you use, the more likely you are to make Pokeblock+.

It also mentions that the berries with the highest success rate for block+ are the berries with smaller harvest yields. So it looks like it's confirmed there's a psuedo-random element to whether or not you get pokeblock+ and the only thing that matters is how many of a single color you used.

Last edited:
I finally beat Lisia yesterday:) It probably took me over 7 tries after changing my Walrein's moveset to high point awarding beauty moves, giving him the blue scarf, and all out memorization of each opponents' move patterns. My Walrein was never able to appeal before Ali even with Maxed Stats and holding the blue scarf, but apparently it has worked for others, so I guess I'm just unlucky:p It probably would have been easier for me to beat Lisia sooner if I'd been using a Pokemon that could Mega Evolve and/or had higher scoring moves, but regardless I liked the challenge of it. I'm much more addicted to these contests than I ever was of the originals' or DPP's.

I do wish Pokeblocks had more guaranteed results. I've blended identical berry combinations only to get different results each time. I'll probably just need to get more berries that are more likely of making Pokeblock+ results.

I made 4 rainbow ones by just using my last 4 berries without realising it was a thing lol

I found the contests to be a piece of cake. All I did was use my Mew in order to crush them all in their sorrow-filled defeat. I used Mew to win all contests in Sinnoh, and this time being able to max all of Mew's contest stats, I took them all out again in Hoenn.

I'm so disappointing with how extremely easy and super simplified Contests are in this game. Making Pokéblocks is all done automatically for you and there's no level or feel, just normal and plus... and everything is just so... simple.
I beat Master Rank in both Cute and Cool in like 4 hours once I reached Slateport. That would be impossible in the original RSE.
Why do we even still have 4 halls? in RSE it made sense since each hall represented a specific rank but now we can do all ranks in all halls so like... why not just have one as in Emerald/DPt?
Also, I wish they bothered a bit more with the Pokéblock animation. In RSE it actually looked like we're feeding the block to the pkmn, but here? we just randomly see the pkmn and supposed to imagine that it ate it, rather than see the block thrown its way. So boring. You'd imagine we'd go forwards, not backwards. Heck, they should've integrated that into the amie instead or in addition to PokéPuffs. (but of course it was easier to just copy-paste XY's entire bottom screen and not bother to change anything in it)

Wallace is lisias uncle, wallace has an older sister jaun is mentioned (so he is canon still) and wallace jokingly states he'll steal the champion title from you.

beat all master rank contests and beat lisia once then participate in the master beauty contest you don't need to win but you'll go up against wallace and lisia and talk to them then after that go to the fan club in lilycove

How could Wallace have a sister named Jaun, and that makes Juan, a man, canon?

I've heard that filling up the Art Museum with paintings (three different Pokemon for each type of contest) gives you something, but I haven't managed that yet.

Anyone tried this yet?

@BlackButterfree;
Wallace's older sister is mentioned.
Juan is mentioned.

Wow, I'm dumb LOL Thanks for clearing it up. So... who the heck is Wallace's older sister and how have we never heard of her before? Obviously, she's Lisia's mother. And she must be way old, because Wallace seems to be around Steven's age (probably 20-25?) and Lisia seems 16-18 at the oldest.

I wish they'd have made Juan be Wallace's uncle or something. I just always got a familial connection from them, but not a father-son one...

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom