• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

That ain't controversial - everyone knows Pokemon Johto is the best right?!
It really captures the spirit of a new adventure!
I still hear lot of people to this day still the Pokemon Theme is the best, and I feel like its the only English opening that really gets much recognition, though that might just be outside the fandom. Pokemon Johto is the best though because it captures that spirit of a new adventure and its so upbeat and catchy.

I prefer Verity's VA to Makoto's seiyuu. Shiori Sato was pretty awful at voicing her.
I prefer M20's english ending song to Oración. Sorry Asuka, but it's no Chiisaki Mono.

Last edited:
Despite being one of the most common complaints about BW, I don't think that Ash's skills regressed right away. Aside from his battles with Trip, his skills still seemed pretty decent early on in the series and his first two Gym battles in particular were pretty good. Maybe I was just focused on Ash losing to an inexperienced Snivy like a lot of other fans were at the time, which was still a terrible battle to start the series with, but I thought that his regression was much more noticeable right from the start. Even with losing to an inexperienced Snivy in mind, it's hard for me to get upset at Ash for his battles against Trip when the writers made the decision to turn a rookie trainer into an unbelievable overpowered rival for Ash.

His battles at the Nacrene Gym were especially noteworthy. His defeat was handled well, with Ash even apologizing to Tepig for having a weak trainer, they had some good training for the rematch and his victory was pretty good too. It helped that he still came right down to the wire even after all of his training. I do remember how some of the later Gym battles were, especially the Nimbasa Gym match, and on-screen training was a rarity afterwards if I recall correctly as well, so a more noticeable regression for his skills does definitely happen later on. I just thought it was right from the start instead. Granted, I'm not even half-way through the first BW season and there are still plenty of aspects with the series that I still don't like, including some elements that I forgot just how much I hated, but being able to enjoy the first two Gym battles more than I expected to was a nice surprise.

The one and only liability the Japanese version has is Meowth's voice. It is really tough on my ears.

Also, the second movie's Western soundtrack is immeasurably better than its awesome-in-its-own-right Japanese soundtrack.

Last edited:
Greninja is not Ash's strongest Pokémon. The Ash-Greninja form is basically a crutch, I still maintain that Ash's Charizard is stronger because all of its best feats didn't center around it relying on temporary power boosts. I'd say Greninja is closer to Infernape's level; tough but definitely not unstoppable by itself.

Last edited:
I still hear lot of people to this day still the Pokemon Theme is the best, and I feel like its the only English opening that really gets much recognition, though that might just be outside the fandom. Pokemon Johto is the best though because it captures that spirit of a new adventure and its so upbeat and catchy.
While I personally like the original theme song the best, I can agree that many other theme songs get way less attention than they'd deserve, especially the Johto ones.

It feels like the quality of the English themes (and the dub music in general) keeps going more and more downhill as the time goes on. The XY opening themes were hardly even okay anymore, so these days, I tend to focus on the Japanese themes. Their quality has remained great even through all these years.

It feels like the quality of the English themes (and the dub music in general) keeps going more and more downhill as the time goes on. The XY opening themes were hardly even okay anymore, so these days, I tend to focus on the Japanese themes. Their quality has remained great even through all these years.
Part of this is due to how openings now have to be 30 seconds long so that networks can fit more adverts into the runtime, but there's no excuse for why the singers of the more recent openings sound like they're falling asleep.

I think that the Pokemon anime should've followed a different formula regarding the Leagues, which has been always shown as the primary goal/major primary step for Ash towards becoming a Pokemon Master. I get it that the writers want to make him continue as the main character in the next saga, and thus make him continue travelling, but there's literally no need to hand over the main character the embarrassment of loosing 6 Leagues in a row like how the writers have done so far. Even if Ash wins a League, his goal still isn't fulfilled, only his primary step towards it is fulfilled.

I personally think that Ash should have won all 6 Leagues so far, and then lost in the Champions League to the E4/Champion to continue travelling in the next region. In this process Ash as the main character would've had a lot of accomplishments to show so far, which a main character of an adventure show most of the times has. But by making Ash lose in all Leagues that has happened so far, the writers have just treated the main character badly, just for the sake of marketing or rather treated the main character as a marketing tool, who hardly has accomplishments to show after so many years of the Pokemon anime. Yes, he has still won the Orange League and the Battle Frontier, but still it's clearly evident that those achievements clearly doesn't stack up to the achievement of winning a League, which is rigorous tournament where the axe of elimination always hangs over the head, which has been strongly implied as the primary step towards achieving Ash's goal. What has happened so far in the anime is that despite so many years of traveling through so many regions, Ash is still to achieve that primary objective of winning a regional League.

If we look at other adventure show Animes, in most of the cases the main character/protagonist wins most of the times in tournaments and has many accomplishments like that to show for. Like for example Tyson in Beyblade also won pretty much every one of the major Beyblade tournaments. Or Yugi in Yu-Gi-Oh who also won every one of the Duelist tournaments he participated in. They all won when it came to the major tournaments, the aforementioned protagonists all won, and in the process had major accomplishments in their career as a Beyblader and a Duelist respectively, which were major landmarks in their respective goals.

So the question clearly arises, why not for Ash? Why does he anyhow deserves not to win the League's he has participated in, just like how Tyson in Beyblade won all the Beyblade tournaments or Yugi in Yu-Gi-Oh won all the Duelist tournaments? How does he anyhow desereves to lose all the Leagues he has participated in? He clearly does deserves to win. Yes, the issue lies in how he would continue as the main character travelling in the next region if he wins a League, but that could've been easily solved if Ash won the Leagues and then lost in the Champions League to the E4/Champion.

Ash has travelled through so many years through 6-7 regions, bonded with so many Pokemon and people throughout the years, and most of the Pokemon anime fans love him as character for that. But on the other hand, accomplishments are also very important for a main character, which serves as landmarks in his/her goal, showing his progression in the goal. By not letting Ash ever accomplish the primary step towards his goal, while other adventure show protagonists like Tyson/Yugi always win the major tournaments, the writers have treated Ash very poorly. So I believe that the writers should've handled the League's differently, with Ash winning every one of them, and then then loosing in the Champions League against the E4/Champion to continue travelling in the next region.

Last edited:
I’m gonna throw a quick controversial opinion here: I actually really like M16 Mewtwo. I just wish its backstory was handled a bit better to make it more different than the original one, but I liked its more introvert and friendly personality and I’m fine with having a second Mewtwo that can Mega Evolve.

I don't think Ash should've won every league, I think Ash should've won the Kalos League and then go on to challenge the E4/Champion etc just to get a different feel of what the anime would be like.

The Greninja storyline was so disappointing - every single region, there is someone hogging the limelight and it doesn't appeal to everyone because everyone has their favourites and some are put on the sidelines. Like Serena got her Amourshipping yes but what about Showcases (even though I don't like them) they are like one episode things, Dawn and May got the whole attention when it came to upcoming contests and even after contests.

I loathe that arc due to Greninja hogging the limelight every other episode, oh and Alain did that frequently as well.
Infernape hogged the limelight way more than Greninja and Ash's other kalos mons where able to still do things unlike Ash's Sinnoh mons.

Infernape hogged the limelight way more than Greninja and Ash's other kalos mons where able to still do things unlike Ash's Sinnoh mons.

Oh? Right off the top of my head, counting total non-TR battles at various points throughout XY (and including all stages of evolution), I recall Ash's Greninja winning 16 battles and losing only 7, while Ash's Noivern won 2 and lost 3. So clearly Noivern's win ratio sucked: this shows an obvious lack of balanced development, so I don't agree with the assessment that Greninja hogging screen-time didn't interfere with Ash's other Pokemon.

Oh? Right off the top of my head, counting total non-TR battles at various points throughout XY (and including all stages of evolution), I recall Ash's Greninja winning 16 battles and losing only 7, while Ash's Noivern won 2 and lost 3. So clearly Noivern's win ratio sucked: this shows an obvious lack of balanced development, so I don't agree with the assessment that Greninja hogging screen-time didn't interfere with Ash's other Pokemon.
That was one out of his other 4 mons XY Ash had and didn't Infernape win more battles and took more development from DP Ash mons?

I remember people complaining more about Torterra not getting a chance to shine due to Infernape more so than affecting all of his DP team. That was rather disappointing, especially when Torterra had some pretty good battles as a Turtwig, but I see that more as the writers not being able to balance out the screentime among Ash's team as opposed to blaming it all on Infernape's storyline.

While Greninja also took up a lot of attention during the last stretch of XY, that honestly didn't bother me. Even before Greninja evolved and gained its special form, I don't think that they handled his team particularly well. They rushed through Goodra's development, did pretty much nothing with Noibat between it learning to fly and evolving and didn't give Ash another Pokemon so they could bring Goodra back for the Kalos League. Greninja took up more focus that they could have used to possibly do more with his team, but a lot of those problems I had with Ash's XY team started when it was a Frogadier, so I don't think I could blame all of my issues with this team entirely on Greninja. The whole Ash-Greninja plot was at least interesting and led to some pretty nice character moments for Ash. It wasn't perfect either, but I would still say it was one of the highlights of the XY series for me.

Back
Top Bottom