• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

While the Kalos League was beautifully animated and had a lot of great emotions running through it, one flaw that I see in it is that it was rather rushed. The first round was kinda brushed over, and then, in the next episode, we were suddenly already 3/4 through the quarterfinals. They clearly just wanted to get to the epic battles with Sawyer and Alain as fast as possible. The League overall was great, but the rushing is still a flaw nonetheless.

While the Kalos League was beautifully animated and had a lot of great emotions running through it, one flaw that I see in it is that it was rather rushed. The first round was kinda brushed over, and then, in the next episode, we were suddenly already 3/4 through the quarterfinals. They clearly just wanted to get to the epic battles with Sawyer and Alain as fast as possible. The League overall was great, but the rushing is still a flaw nonetheless.
What makes this issue even worse is the false/bait-and-switch promotion around the entire League's outcome itself when later on, it becomes quite apparent that the League was just a set-up for the Flare arc and felt like an afterthought.
Not to mention, there was a minimal amount of strategy seen during Ash's battles (unless it involved Pikachu primarily).

It would have been cool to see more of Ash vs. Astrid too.

I like Greninja as a species but Ash-Greninja form was just hideous.

Eh I gotta disagree there. I think the normal Greninja looks bad but Ash-Greninja looked fine by me. I just hated how much attention it got in the Kalos series and I'm dreading his return in the new anime because it's going to happen one way or another.

Eh I gotta disagree there. I think the normal Greninja looks bad but Ash-Greninja looked fine by me. I just hated how much attention it got in the Kalos series and I'm dreading his return in the new anime because it's going to happen one way or another.
Tbf its hard to give each member the same focus, Infernape also hogged focus in DP, same with Litten.

Tbf its hard to give each member the same focus, Infernape also hogged focus in DP, same with Litten.

I wouldn't put Litten in the same category tbh. Rockruff/Lycanroc had more screentime than Litten had iirc and even Rowlet hogged more of the spotlight than the cat did.

What makes this issue even worse is the false/bait-and-switch promotion around the entire League's outcome itself when later on, it becomes quite apparent that the League was just a set-up for the Flare arc and felt like an afterthought.
I was one of the people who was skeptical when the now infamous title came out (I was part of the group that thought he was going to win in Sinnoh thanks to the Champion's League and how much they built Paul up, until Tobias appeared and it became obvious where things were going) but the internet built up too much hype so the whole thing stung worse than it should have--partly 2016 was part of a series of very bad years for me so it had a bit of "straw breaking a camel's back" factor, partly because my brain is a traitor and gave me a dream of him winning not long before the match.

It still has me worried that the World Championship's gonna be rushed to focus on a crisis event or something else instead, so I can't build as much hype for it as I could have a few years ago.

I was one of the people who was skeptical when the now infamous title came out (I was part of the group that thought he was going to win in Sinnoh thanks to the Champion's League and how much they built Paul up, until Tobias appeared and it became obvious where things were going) but the internet built up too much hype so the whole thing stung worse than it should have--partly 2016 was part of a series of very bad years for me so it had a bit of "straw breaking a camel's back" factor, partly because my brain is a traitor and gave me a dream of him winning not long before the match.

It still has me worried that the World Championship's gonna be rushed to focus on a crisis event or something else instead, so I can't build as much hype for it as I could have a few years ago.

Well Eternatus is currently not trapped in some weird cocoon (and not causing problems as of SS012) and Rose hasn't been introduced yet, so I think we're good for now.

I hate that there is totally no friction in PM19 between Ash and Gou.
This. This is one of the reasons I can't seem to care about Gou, he's not showing any weakness or vulnerabilities (outside the lack of social skills, which seems to be brought up once in a blue moon), everyone (including his Pokemon) automatically become friendly with him with absolutely no issue. He's supposed to be a new trainer yet he's not facing any issues/difficulties that any new trainer would be facing, it's one of the reasons I could care so much about Serena, Dawn and May's (even Koharu once she starts out) journeys but not Gou (not even counting the fact that his ambition of catching every Pokemon and his goal of catching Mew are completely unrelated to each other and only cause overall harm).

There was a nice set-up for a mini rivalry of sorts back in the 3rd episode which they were all too keen to drop just to have Ash praise Gou for what would be considered mistakes in the past. It was the last time we saw Ash lash out at Gou, when he should have also done so more often (most recently in the 17th episode).

Last edited:
(not even counting the fact that his ambition of catching every Pokemon and his goal of catching Mew are completely unrelated to each other and only cause overall harm).
But Mew did show up in episode 20, more specifically to help Gou and Ash defeat TRio, which makes it even more confusing.

Are there other trainers with big collections, which is possible since the anime made captures so easy? Is Mew interested in them, or is he only interested in Gou specifically? If that is the case, how would Gou know that catching all Pokemon will lead him to Mew if there's no evidence that it can? Why would Mew be interested in Gou, specifically? Is it because Gou was interested in him? Is Mew just seeking out people who fulfill the criteria of being interested in him and capturing every mon? Or is Gou the only human fulfilling that criteria Mew's interested in? Why...?

Oh, hold on, it's probably Mew's intuition kicking in. I'm sorry. One thing I failed to realize is that Pokemon have intuition which attracts them to people and conveniently that allows them to do what the plot demands. Only it is very deserved, organic storytelling because the anime established this plot sensitivity as 'intuition'. Offfffffffffffff course.

Also, page number 151. :wynaut:

Last edited:
The impact the anime had on the games was bad. Why? Well in the competitive scene some newcomers who have started Pokemon might just use Pokemon from the Anime. Of course all Pokemon are good but in competitive battles you should use your best team and I think that the Pokemon in the anime aren't actually 'top-tier'. Also the moveset on most of them are garbage for example: Blast Burn on Charizard. All normal moves on Zebstrika etc. I think the anime should be closer to the games.

I think the anime should be closer to the games.
I personally think it's good that the anime uses some real world logic that the games ignore because a game world can't be quite as realistic as an anime can. If you want a closer game adaptation, I suggest you read Pokémon Adventures.

I would not say that Pokemon special is closer to the games, but it have more depth than the simple badge quest, also more darker and realistic and also those changes like making the elite four evil for example. Also the characters grow up...

If you want to have the story of the game... you already have the game.

Not every game is made to have an adaptation that is close to the story of the game. Try doing an adaptation of The first Marios and see how it failed. Try it with Zelda and see what happens. It's not that easy to adapt a videogame script to the one of an anime or a series and viceversa.

The only ones I seen do that well are the Inazuma series and it's because the anime and games are made at the same time more or less. Even the last seris were released before the games.

Also I need someone to recall for me a plot adaptation from the games (Not counting gym battles )that was good.

The only one I recall is Team Galactic. They even blowed the lake.

I was not meaning that in comparision with the anime.

I was referencing that the Pokemon special takes plots and arcs from the game but they change the meaning completely and they even expanded.

For example Silver being Giovanni son was a thing that was hinted in Pokemon FireRed but was confirmed in the manga.

I was not meaning that in comparision with the anime.

I was referencing that the Pokemon special takes plots and arcs from the game but they change the meaning completely and they even expanded.

For example Silver being Giovanni son was a thing that was hinted in Pokemon FireRed but was confirmed in the manga.
It was confirmed in that Celebi event in SS/HG wasn’t it

Back
Top Bottom