• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Controversial opinions

Administrator
Reaction score
I find that while SM did a good job at mixing up the formula for TRio by having their lives not revolve around Ash, there’s never really any payoff to their separate activities. They had a mini rivalry with the Team Skull group but that never really goes anywhere, in spite of being given a setup in Alola where they’re regularly in contact with Giovanni, they never have anything to show for it yet there’s no repercussions (sure it may seem bad to have the villains shown ‘winning’ but maybe they could have allowed them to capture some Alola Pokémon to be sent to HQ for the sake of their mission as it just ends up making no sense why they’re so trusted in PM2019 when they didn’t actually accomplish anything in Alola), when they infiltrated Aether Patadise, it was treated basically as a means for them to screw up their plans when they could have demonstrated the competence they showed in early BW since Ash wasn’t involved at the moment and only arrived by chance both times, and it was completely pointless to give them a z-ring considering that beyond their first use of Black Hole Eclipse, they never actually achieved victory with use of a Z-move. So all in all, it just became same beat, different song. This is part of why I can never feel invested in anything TRcentric due to it feeling like a waste of time.
I don't really mind that they didn't do much with Aether Paradise. Refusing to help Faba basically brainwash Lillie against her will showed more of their own true colors. They're villains, but they do have some moral standards. Plus, I'm not sure what they'd do with the data on Silvally anyway. They could have given it to Giovanni, but I don't know if they would have attempted to make another Silvally. I wouldn't say that it was pointless to give them a Z-Ring just because they only won once with it either. This is Team Rocket we're talking about, so that does limit how many times they can actively win. Even though Mimikyu was robbed of its victory due to that deus ex machina Electro Web, it was still nice to see them work together to master that Z-Move pose. Gladion was also impressed with James and Mareanie being able to use Black Hole Eclipse even after being so exhausted during their match. They still lost, but there was no way James could have defeated Gladion anyway and it still at least gave him a good sendoff from the League.

I do agree that their rivalry with the Team Skull trio didn't really go anywhere. They eventually just became Team Rocket's Alola form practically. Not ending up doing much for the organization this time around or even taking credit for what Ash and his friends do like usual, does make it stranger that they're so trusted in PM.

Swimming through the air and sea!
Reaction score
Yet in the end they didn't get an invitation to the wedding while Sauboh got.
Off topic but you just made me want to write an AU where TRio got invited. Oh the insanity...

Um Controversial Opinion
I like Pokémon 4ever. I even consider it one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Administrator
Reaction score
Yet in the end they didn't get an invitation to the wedding while Sauboh got.
Not to mention he got off pretty light and became a more comedy relief character in spite of his previous actions. I can't blame the anime too much on that given how events unfolded in the games and getting a lower position in Aether Foundation would be the worst for Faba, but he still should have gotten a much harsher punishment when he actively endangered his boss's daughter twice.

The Prince is Back!
Reaction score
I had already noticed before that Iris's Axew only has used Outrage only once upon first learning it. But today I realized what that actually means: it was nothing more than a Deus Ex Machina. Iris was losing a battle, and then her Pokémon conveniently learns a new powerful move that allows her to win just when it seemed like she was going to lose. And then it's never used again. A true DEM, if you ask me.

Administrator
Reaction score
I had already noticed before that Iris's Axew only has used Outrage only once upon first learning it. But today I realized what that actually means: it was nothing more than a Deus Ex Machina. Iris was losing a battle, and then her Pokémon conveniently learns a new powerful move that allows her to win just when it seemed like she was going to lose. And then it's never used again. A true DEM, if you ask me.
Yeah, that was a major reason why there was so much backlash towards that part of the first Club Battle tournament. It still would have been bad if Axew kept using Outrage like it eventually did with Giga Impact, but the fact that it learned an overpowered move virtually out of nowhere seemingly just so that Iris could advance to the finals was just insultingly bad. She had made little to no progress on her journey at that point, especially when it came to Axew, but she was rewarded with winning a tournament and thought that it was proof of how well her journey was going at the time. The Club Battle tournaments were admittedly pretty small compared to Leagues and such, but it was still pretty frustrating when Iris kept winning battles that she didn't deserve to win.

Reaction score
Not to mention how Iris had to spend months to even teach Axew freaking Dragon Rage, and then it suddenly learned and perfectly executed nothing less than the strongest dragon type move besides Draco Meteor.

Even if that was bad, they could have had an arc of sorts where Axew had to learn to properly master Outrage, maybe learn to retain some self control (which could also double as development for the reckless hot headed Scraggy that happened to be his best friend) or to lower the fatigue afterwards, which could even end with an evolution once he was properly trained and mature. But nope, they forgot about it and Axew remained useless.

Reaction score
Not to mention how Iris had to spend months to even teach Axew freaking Dragon Rage, and then it suddenly learned and perfectly executed nothing less than the strongest dragon type move besides Draco Meteor.
Staff member: "Hmmm, let's see what we should do for an episode next?"

*grabs a tiny piece of paper from the plot paper bag*
*opens eyes*

An episode where Axew actually learns Outrage

Staff member: "Heergh."

*yells as he throws idea into tiny trash can*

Reaction score
Staff member: "Hmmm, let's see what we should do for an episode next?"

*grabs a tiny piece of paper from the plot paper bag*
*opens eyes*

An episode where Axew actually learns Outrage

Staff member: "Heergh."

*yells as he throws idea into tiny trash can*
Why do I get the feeling this is an approximation of how some Pokémon episodes are born?

All life matters. Not matter age or skin color!
Reaction score
It is still a shame M20 wasnt about this companions meeting each other.

Pokémon Master in the making!
Reaction score
I actually kind of like Go’s Rotom Phone going “Nice!”, “Great!”, and “Excellent!” after Go catches something. Their enthusiasm makes me happy for them.

Meowth Fan
Reaction score
I actually kind of like Go’s Rotom Phone going “Nice!”, “Great!”, and “Excellent!” after Go catches something. Their enthusiasm makes me happy for them.
That's reminding me of Pokemon Go with the various levels of aiming on ball throws.