• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

People have to remember that up to this point (24 episodes) Black and White was really good and XY was not that good.
We'll just have to hope the hiatus doesn't ruin any plans they had for this series, like how the banning of the TR vs. TP two-parter changed Best Wishes a lot.

We'll just have to hope the hiatus doesn't ruin any plans they had for this series, like how the banning of the TR vs. TP two-parter changed Best Wishes a lot.
If the Magikarp/Slowking double feature filler is anything to go off of, I’d sure we’re not missing out on much with their plans especially with episodes Fujisaku does.

Here comes the controversial opinion - XY was better in its first year than in its last year (not counting TF finale).

I honestly agree with this. I really loved XY for its first year or so; it was only after that I started to dislike it. If you asked me to pinpoint why, I really couldn't say. I just found it more entertaining at the beginning, whatever those reasons may be.

Since the hiatus doesn't seem to have gotten important episodes banned it will most likely just mean fewer episodes rather than having to rewrite anything, althogh maybe a few episodes will have Gou catch three Pokémon instead of two to make up the numbers of missing episodes.

My take on XY probably isn't all that controversial anymore, but since it was brought up...

In a vacuum, XY was fine but it struggled to hold my attention for more than a year because I was burnt out on the old Pokemon formula. I've always said XY took that old formula and polished it to the highest standard seen in the anime, which you could see in the show's aesthetics and the way battles were written and presented. It won people over because its director was the biggest Ash fan alive and treated him very well, especially in comparison to BW. Ash got to be the hero many times, he was well-respected and admired among his peers, he was allowed to be competent as a trainer and during battles, he got access to a unique powerful form, and so on. Ash got such a big rub that people were convinced he was no longer 10-years-old.

Despite all of that, what was actually different about the show? Nothing. Ash was still collecting badges, he was learning the same lessons, having the same experiences, meeting the same kinds of people, and going on the same adventures. Ash-Greninja was a unique form, but it didn't alter the course of the story. Ash still beat the evil team but lost in the league. The show ended in flames because of how the Kalos League final panned out. Team Flare took over the finale but honestly, who cared about them? I was so tired of it. All that polish and pomp and circumstance around Ash and his Greninja and his girlfriend-to-be Serena, only for the journey and the destination to be same as always.

But that's just me, someone who has been watching from the start. I reckon if XY was your first, second, maybe even third Pokemon series you'd probably love it, simply because you haven't been exposed to that formula as much. Sometimes, I have to remember that some of the show's biggest fans are much younger than I am, or haven't watched as much Pokemon so they aren't nearly as worn out.

If there was one thing that really disappointed me about the show, it was it how much Greninja there was. Ash usually has one Pokemon on his team who stands out a little more for whatever reason, but every other season was good about giving each member of Ash's team a chance to shine. SM was fantastic at it. Yet for all the hype Greninja got, it ranks well below Pikachu and Charizard, and even Lyconroc to me, because those three have significant accomplishments under their belts whereas Greninja's best accomplishment was knocking Diantha's Gardevoir over.

Despite all of that, what was actually different about the show? Nothing. Ash was still collecting badges, he was learning the same lessons, having the same experiences, meeting the same kinds of people, and going on the same adventures. Ash-Greninja was a unique form, but it didn't alter the course of the story. Ash still beat the evil team but lost in the league. The show ended in flames because of how the Kalos League final panned out. Team Flare took over the finale but honestly, who cared about them? I was so tired of it. All that polish and pomp and circumstance around Ash and his Greninja and his girlfriend-to-be Serena, only for the journey and the destination to be same as always.
I have a similar feeling. In my case I came into XY partway through year two because of it's good reputation, and although I enjoyed the episodes I caught and kept up with everything going on in the Japanese version I just lost interest when the league finals aired because after all the hype it was just another badge quest where nothing would matter once we reached the first episode of the next series, which is sort of an issue I've had since AG ended; once the Battle Frontier ended they seemed unwilling to let Ash advance his accomplishments in any way past moving a ranking ahead in a League.
Edit: To be honest, I was willing to let it ride 'til XY seemed to be doing it's best to hint at a win, at which point I decided if it was a trick I was done with the series until the plot actually moved forward.

That's about half of why I really just followed SuMo's events online (and pretty distantly until near the end when I had to do some crash research)--even though the format shifted a bit I was certain (and posted as such back in 2016) it would just end the exact same way; sure, Aether would be defeated but Ash would just lose again and nothing would matter. In the end, even though I still don't think I'd enjoy many episodes of Sun and Moon since I mostly like battles and adventure I have a lot of respect for it shaking things up and advancing the story line.

Last edited:
I was mainly referring to episodes that haven't been announced yet.
I know. I was using that as an example of ‘if this is what we do know of and it’s this level
of quality, are we really missing much in terms of what does get cut?’ Besides, outside of a general outline, I doubt that they’ve planned episodes so far in advance that this will do too much harm. If anything, we’ll probably lose out on what would have been filler episodes so far down the line that they haven’t even been thought of yet.

Really? I'm at episode 16 and I don't feel like watching it anymore aside from select episodes. It feels like it's going no where.

With the exception of Dancing Raboot episodes from 16 to 22 all have been good episodes.

I think that the Dragonite and Gengar captures influenced. But it's not how you capture them it's how you develop them. Gengar and Dragonite could be amazing Pokemon or an authentic flop that will start losing protagonism when the real Pokemon that Ash will use start appearing (Riolu and Sobble). If Gengar are dragonite are nothing than just Powerhouses that just battle without any development they will start to fade in the next episodes and they will be at Boldore/Palpitoad levels of character.

I fear that Dragonite and Gengar in the long term may become the fall guys (A.K.A Torterra,Melmetal,Noivern,Heracross)for Lucario Inteleon Pikachu and whomever may come .

Team Rocket should have been retired back in Hoenn. Every Region should have been a new start for an actual villainous team to actually menace Ash and crew. But Team Rocket long overstayed their welcome.

Team Rocket overstayed his welcome?Absolutely. But Ash did too. Both of them should have been gone by Hoenn.

Now that we have the whole Best of the World tournament this may be a not so farfetched idea.

Really? I'm at episode 16 and I don't feel like watching it anymore aside from select episodes. It feels like it's going no where.
Most of the episodes after episode 13 are excellent. And speaking of that episode, it set up Ash's goal for this series, so the series definitely has a direction for him by the point where you are.
About Rocket stupid machine...
I personally am either indifferent or okay with the machine. I admit, seeing Rockets bonding with their own Pokémon is good, but I don't think this machine is the kind of abomination many seem to consider it as.

Back
Top Bottom