• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Controversial opinions

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
It's hard for me to take the whole Goh throwing all of his Pokeballs as a sign that his mistakes aren't affecting him long term. Doing that with Dewgong also came off as being a bit more comical given Goh's facial expressions. Since he doesn't seem to carry a lot of Pokemon on him besides Raboot frequently, he also most likely didn't have a Pokemon on him that could have battled Dewgong
I’m not saying that it cannot or shouldn’t happen in the Dewgong episode, I’m saying that since these methods resulted in him not being able to capture Dragonite, he should logically be more careful with his Pokeballs in the next episode, which he isn’t. My point is that the Dewgong incident doesn’t result in him gaining knowledge that pointlessly throwing Pokeballs can lead to repercussions. He’s perfectly fine throwing Pokeballs right in the next episode.

Go throwing all his Pokeballs in the Dewgong issue isn’t the sole issue- everyone makes mistakes. The issue is that after that he isn’t any more careful with his captures.

Reaction score
I’m not saying that it cannot or shouldn’t happen in the Dewgong episode, I’m saying that since these methods resulted in him not being able to capture Dragonite, he should logically be more careful with his Pokeballs in the next episode, which he isn’t. My point is that the Dewgong incident doesn’t result in him gaining knowledge that pointlessly throwing Pokeballs can lead to repercussions. He’s perfectly fine throwing Pokeballs right in the next episode.

Go throwing all his Pokeballs in the Dewgong issue isn’t the sole issue- everyone makes mistakes. The issue is that after that he isn’t any more careful with his captures.
I get what you're trying to say but we could easily list hundreds of other instances of when a character has made a mistake and was supposed to learn their lesson only for them to go back to making similar mistakes and not actually learning anything from previous experiences. So to me that whole Goh throwing Pokeballs at random thing seems more like a nit pick than a genuine critique.

Administrator
Reaction score

While I understand your point, it doesn't really feel like a genuine flaw or mistake. This isn't really exclusive to Goh either since I remember at least a few times where Ash and his friends wasted Beast Balls when trying to capture Ultra Beasts in pretty similar manners. The main cast never has a problem with getting more Pokeballs, so it isn't like they're extremely rare in-universe. Even if he misses a chance to get a Pokemon because he already ran out of them, he can potentially find another one since he's traveling around the world most of the time. The consequences of using up his Pokeballs are pretty minimal all things considered and it is still hard for me to really see it in that light anyway since it wasn't presented as a flaw per say. It was done primarily for plot reasons, as well as potentially to be a bit comical, as opposed to show that Goh was in the wrong for using up his Pokeballs. If it was more difficult for the main cast to get Pokeballs, then I think that would be a different story. As it is, I think that's reading too much into Goh's behavior in order to find more flaws.

bₑₐₛₜ ₜₕₐₜ cₐₗₗₛ ₜₕₑ ₘₒₒₙ
Reaction score
I liked JN030 more than I thought I would. My favorite parts were:
  • Delia and Ash singing Delia's song to Pikachu in their respective beds; tears started to well up a bit when Ash did it, my goodness.
  • Go actively training and battling with his Pokemon. Also, it looks like Sobble will be onscreen as much as Raboot, which makes me feel a bit better about its capture.
  • Koharu, although offscreen, being the one to call Ash out on his oblivious behavior; yay for continuity and character development.
I had discussed the episode with someone and while we agreed that both Ash & Pikachu were acting out of character to varying degrees, my friend did bring up a point regarding relationships in life. That if your relationship with someone is a long-lasting and fully cemented/unbreakable one, then one may not put as much effort into it than they would with a new relationship; in other words, you may grow complacent with a relationship you don't have to work as hard to keep, so to speak (because of the mutual love or affection that already exists). Riolu is a relatively new Pokemon and partner that Ash has just obtained, while Ash's bond with Pikachu is the most significant in the series given everything they've experienced together; it's clearly developed. So, perhaps Ash felt that confident in his relationship with Pikachu that he'd figure, whether consciously or subconsciously, it wouldn't mind the time he was investing with Riolu (who was explicitly clamoring for it). That isn't to defend his actions as being a Pokemon Trainer means constantly being aware of the needs your Pokemon; however, it does make you wonder if Ash was being more "human" than out-of-character.

Nobody calls me chicken
Reaction score
I don't really like the two AU movies. Especially The Power of Us was pretty disappointing to me. Which is strange because it has a Ghibli-like/slice of life quality to it, which I usually like. And I actually do appreciate that they did something different instead of the usual Pokémon movie formula. What both movies ended up being just did not satisfy me somehow.

Reaction score
I don't really like the two AU movies. Especially The Power of Us was pretty disappointing to me. Which is strange because it has a Ghibli-like/slice of life quality to it, which I usually like. And I actually do appreciate that they did something different instead of the usual Pokémon movie formula. What both movies ended up being just did not satisfy me somehow.
Yes, I even like the concept but when they talked about AU I expected an Ash with Pokémon different from the ones he has in the anime (like Tyranitar cof cof) and that would be much more successful in competitions, I even like the first film but the second is really difficult, it seems like a lost opportunity to change more things being an AU in my opinion.

Speaking about opinion:

.Go is ok, although I recognize that it is annoying that he can capture pokemons easy when the anime in the past has shown that this was not so easy, I do not understand why so much hatred for the character,
.Ash don't need to have any starters of the regions always,
.Misty should have captured Totodile instead of Ash,
.Ash should have left the protagonist position a long time ago, probably in DP,
.The anime characters should be at least 13 years old, I do not feel comfortable when they say that everyone is 10 years old and in some episode they suddenly decide to talk about boyfriends / girlfriends, it is strange for me since I remember that they are 10 years old and it feels a bit...creepy and make me have a bad taste,
.They should have made Serena a childhood friend of Ash after he helped her, it would make more sense for her to fall in love with him if they even spoke in letters from time to time,
.Anyway, in the end I would prefer Ash to marry May or Dawn if they ever show the future of the characters instead of him marrying Misty or Serena,
.If Chloe doesn't want to be a trainer or participate in contests, it's ok for me too, in fact I think an interesting approach is that she might want to do something different from what we saw, like maybe following in her father's footsteps or being an observer, for example.

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
I've kinda gotten tired of the AU movies and I'm just sitting here wishing they'd go back to movies that take place in the current canon and feature Ash's companions. We're on the 3rd AU movie now, with the 3rd SM era movie being a remake of the first movie. This already gives me the feeling that we're not gonna get a movie with Goh and Chloe.

Administrator
Reaction score
Considering that Chloe doesn't get much screentime as it is, I don't have much faith that she'd get any meaningful role or screentime within a movie. Not to mention Goh being featured within a movie could be too controversial among fans at this point. Personally, I'm fine with the AU movies. I loved I Choose You and I really enjoyed The Power of Us. I haven't watched the Mewtwo remake yet though.