• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I was lukewarm on Origins.

I disliked how much they focused on Mewtwo and it wouldn't have worked if it wasn't truncated nostalgia and it annoyed me how some people couldn't see that.

They skipped so much. If they just showed the Blue fight in full I would be a lot more satisfied.

I was lukewarm on Origins.

I disliked how much they focused on Mewtwo and it wouldn't have worked if it wasn't truncated nostalgia and it annoyed me how some people couldn't see that.

They skipped so much. If they just showed the Blue fight in full I would be a lot more satisfied.

I didn't like how most Gym Battles are in a montage.
Also, that Mewtwo wasn't that impressive. M01 Mewtwo would beat him.

Also, I don't like getting a bunch of Mary Sues winning battles. You have to realize Origins wasn't realistic. Adventures >>> PokéAni and Origins.

I'm 50/50 on Adventures I like the charm it has but I hate how somethings are so dark and edgy but I only read the DP saga in full so who knows. But Origins and some of his fans made me hate Red.

I'm 50/50 on Adventures I like the charm it has but I hate how somethings are so dark and edgy but I only read the DP saga in full so who knows. But Origins and some of his fans made me hate Red.

I'm not sure how much of Adventures I'd really call dark and edgy, even with just the DP saga. It is more intense than the anime, but it's largely aimed at kids as well.

As far as Origins go, I don't hate it, but I do think it was a bit overly praised when it came out. It looked cool, having an anime adaptation that was mostly more faithful to the original R/B games was neat and the Mega Charizard X reveal was pretty awesome. I just think that they packed too much within that four episode series. They were limited with their time, so they couldn't include everything, but some of the events they chose to focus on were odd choices. Maybe it could have worked better as a thirteen episode series, but it just felt too rushed, none of the characters were interesting and it was primarily just for nostalgia. It was all style, no substance for me.

It was worlds better than Pokemon Generations though. Only a handful of those shorts actually told a complete story and far too many of them felt a waste of time.

Something else I hate about Origins is that because of that and other things Red fans keep making him to be this op god and Ash a loser and i'm like how is Origins Red better than Ash?

Something else I hate about Origins is that because of that and other things Red fans keep making him to be this op god and Ash a loser and i'm like how is Origins Red better than Ash?

Because Red became Champion, caught 'em all (Kanto Pokédex), and took down Team Rocket by himself, while Ash will always be forbidden from winning a League Conference for decades. Also, a lot of fans like Mary Sues, look at all these fanfics making Ash one.

I personally prefer Adventures Red over Origins/games Red and Ash. He has a fun personality and isn't reduced to a marketing tool like Ash is.

I personally prefer Adventures Red over Origins/games Red and Ash. He has a fun personality and isn't reduced to a marketing tool like Ash is.

Adventures Red is still a marketing tool though. He isn't the poster child for the entire series like Ash is for the anime, but he's still based off a video game character and used to promote certain aspects of the games and Pokemon primarily from the first generation. Adventures is still there to promote the games. It's more low key compared to the anime in that department and part of that probably has to do with it being a monthly series, but they still tend to use the more popular Pokemon of that generation to feature in their stories. Red isn't treated the same way as Ash is when it comes to marketing, but I don't think he gets a free pass either.

Adventures Red is still a marketing tool though. He isn't the poster child for the entire series like Ash is for the anime, but he's still based off a video game character and used to promote certain aspects of the games and Pokemon primarily from the first generation. Adventures is still there to promote the games. It's more low key compared to the anime in that department and part of that probably has to do with it being a monthly series, but they still tend to use the more popular Pokemon of that generation to feature in their stories. Red isn't treated the same way as Ash is when it comes to marketing, but I don't think he gets a free pass either.

Is Pokémon Special a commercial/advertisement for the games?

Also, are you sure it's for kids? Because it has stuff the games and anime would never dare have.

Satoshi Tajiri himself has said that Pokémon Adventures is the closest depiction of the Pokémon world he has hoped to create, so it deserves more recognition. A nice series of animated episodes, even if just Generations-style shorts, would do wonders for promoting it.

Is Pokémon Special a commercial/advertisement for the games?

It is. Part of the reason why the B2/W2 chapter has taken so long is because they had to move towards promoting X/Y. There might have been other factors involved, but they couldn't finish that arc because X/Y were announced. Like the anime, it is a loose adaptation of the games, but it is more willing to experiment than the anime is in some areas, most noticeably in changing the cast every with every new main series title. That doesn't make Adventures any less of an advertisement for the games though.

SinnohEevee said:
Also, are you sure it's for kids? Because it has stuff the games and anime would never dare have.

Yes, the volumes have an A rating, which means it is rated for all ages. It doesn't have a teen rating and the chapters in Japan are released in CoroCoro. It does have more intensity than the anime does most of the time, especially with some of the climactic battles of the different arcs, but it's still aimed at kids. Despite its reputation, Adventures isn't that dark or violent. I still think that fans overhype it a bit too much. They may have a bit more freedom as a manga than the anime does. I've heard of some series that have more violent and blood in the manga and then are toned down in the anime adaptation.

they couldn't finish that arc because X/Y were announced
Yeah. It had a big break, but now it's airing again.
Despite its reputation, Adventures isn't that dark or violent.
2830675-2019547_kkk.gif

arbok-in-half.jpg

PS293.png

Personally, I think it's just that Japanese people tend to have different standards for what they can show for children of all ages. Remember how deep the original version of The First Movie was? And that was a kids' movie.

2830675-2019547_kkk.gif

arbok-in-half.jpg

PS293.png

Personally, I think it's just that Japanese people tend to have different standards for what they can show for children of all ages. Remember how deep the original version of The First Movie was? And that was a kids' movie.

It's hard to use the Arbok argument here considering that they went out of their way to say that it survived in the Yellow arc. Most people do use that and other events from the R/B/G arc, but I still wouldn't say it's that dark and violent. It's more intense than the anime, but it's not as dark or as violent and fans hype it up to be. Japan does have different standards for what can be in children's programming and I think manga series have a bit more freedom as to what they can do compared to anime as well, but Adventures is still very much aimed at kids.

It's hard to use the Arbok argument here considering that they went out of their way to say that it survived in the Yellow arc. Most people do use that and other events from the R/B/G arc, but I still wouldn't say it's that dark and violent. It's more intense than the anime, but it's not as dark or as violent and fans hype it up to be. Japan does have different standards for what can be in children's programming and I think manga series have a bit more freedom as to what they can do compared to anime as well, but Adventures is still very much aimed at kids.
I think Mewtwo getting impaled is pretty dark, but whatever. I think the point is that the Western readers just see the manga differently, and the hype towards it has built up from that.

Whatever the case, a series of official anime shorts based on the manga wouldn't hurt it, at least.

I can't bring myself to like Special either. Just read the first two arcs, mind you. Even then, the fact I never cared to any of Red's Pokemon, the way they appear evolved out of the blue, and how the battles are portrayed to me is just awful. I'd rather PokeAni or Origins in that regard.
Now about the former, it's not bad, but I wouldn't call it good too. Felt too rushed (with reason of course). And I didn't like the character's designs (the little eyes for eg).

Something I think would've made BW better (or different) is, instead of Iris, Belle be one of the sidekicks and Cheren the main rival. Iris'd share the title of gym leader with Shaga and, since Iris is the champion in BW2, Satoshi could battle only Shaga alone and have another battle with her down the road (nothing league-related since I doubt OLM would make her a new Champion giving Adeku's already holding the position).

It was a mistake to make Ash so flawed and naive at the start of the show, and in turn it brings down the quality of the OS. Beyond nostalgia, it's not terrible, but it's not all that special either.

Like, I'm not saying make Ash overpowered and perfect, but how naive and reckless he is at first borders on difficult to believe in its own right. It might be that they wanted him to be extra flawed to be more of an equal to kids who aren't familiar with Pokemon, but it's kind of weird when you consider that Ash actually lives in the world. There's genuinely more on the line and more risk for him, plus he's directly exposed to a culture where Pokemon are part of everything. In that case, he should be a bit more invested in doing it right than someone who's just playing a game, and there are times when his ignorance and overall attitude doesn't make much sense.

If you like Pokemon so much, shouldn't you have at least studied the basics more as a natural consequence of liking them? Like I don't expect him to be swallowing down college texts, but what about all the children's books and educational kids shows you'd think there'd be? Wouldn't Delia have wanted to make sure he knows these things before he left?

Even as a kid, I had many moments of "Ash should've known better" or "He's lucky that didn't go worse".

It's even weirder that they go on to use the concept of "smarter/more studious newbie" for certain rivals, making Ash's character back then seem even less necessary.

It was a mistake to make Ash so flawed and naive at the start of the show, and in turn it brings down the quality of the OS. Beyond nostalgia, it's not terrible, but it's not all that special either.

Like, I'm not saying make Ash overpowered and perfect, but how naive and reckless he is at first borders on difficult to believe in its own right. It might be that they wanted him to be extra flawed to be more of an equal to kids who aren't familiar with Pokemon, but it's kind of weird when you consider that Ash actually lives in the world. There's genuinely more on the line and more risk for him, plus he's directly exposed to a culture where Pokemon are part of everything. In that case, he should be a bit more invested in doing it right than someone who's just playing a game, and there are times when his ignorance and overall attitude doesn't make much sense.

If you like Pokemon so much, shouldn't you have at least studied the basics more as a natural consequence of liking them? Like I don't expect him to be swallowing down college texts, but what about all the children's books and educational kids shows you'd think there'd be? Wouldn't Delia have wanted to make sure he knows these things before he left?

Even as a kid, I had many moments of "Ash should've known better" or "He's lucky that didn't go worse".

It's even weirder that they go on to use the concept of "smarter/more studious newbie" for certain rivals, making Ash's character back then seem even less necessary.
There are ways to make Ash a newbie back in OS while having him know what hes doing.
And as for OS Ash's gym badges I blame the gym leaders more than Ash because they should know better than to give him a badge when he didn't win the gym battle.

Back
Top Bottom