• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

WIP S.O.R.R.O.W Art - Coming Soon!
Reaction score
They could have had Ash lose to Gary at the Indigo League and then get his rematch in Johto - though the battle wouldn't necessarily have been good; Kanto just wasn't too concerned with battles.

I think the success of the movies might have pushed the series in more of an action direction.
I feel like that was the original plan. We all know that the show would run for a year and a half only, thus until the end of the Kanto saga. While it's most likely that Satoshi'd beat Shigeru, it could be the other way around too.

Anyway, yes, it felt forced how Satoshi kept saying "Shigeru is my greatest rival, I'm doing all I can to beat him" when their first battle ever was at the tail-end of the Orange League saga. Not mentioning I don't remember any more battles afterwards until the Jouto League.

That would have provided more weight and buildup for their Johto League rematch. I still kind of like Richie being the one to beat Ash. Their friendship felt genuine and it was the first time Ash had a major battle against someone he considered a friend, so I think that still provided an interesting kind of conflict for him, even if the battle itself was extremely short for all the buildup they had for it.
I don't quite agree. The friendship started an episode prior, so I don't see how it was a genuine one yet (though they did a good job building it up with little time). The conflict was, imo, kinda forced as well. It'd be better if Hiroshi were introduced in mid-Kanto and had more appearances, it'd become more believable for me.

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't quite agree. The friendship started an episode prior, so I don't see how it was a genuine one yet (though they did a good job building it up with little time). The conflict was, imo, kinda forced as well. It'd be better if Hiroshi were introduced in mid-Kanto and had more appearances, it'd become more believable for me.
I can understand that. Having more time to establish Richie and his friendship with Ash certainly would have helped. Given that they did connect pretty well with each other in a short span of time, I thought that their friendship was genuine enough at least. It wasn't anything to write home about, but I think it worked well enough to make Ash's hesitation over battling a friend in a League match understandable, especially when it wasn't something he had to deal with before.

"Betcha can't tackle me!"
Reaction score
Detective Pikachu was really good.

Brock was a jerk for leaving when his dad came back.

Jesse and James actually like Ash and aren't really trying to catch Pikachu after a while.

Reaction score
Why do you think that? If anything, Brock’s dad was the jerk for abandoning his family.
I'm not saying his dad wasn't, just that it irritates me that Brock didn't care to try anf make up for lost time or anything.

Reaction score
One last thing on the whole shipping bit, but yeah back in August I mentioned how I don't feel like negative stigma is necessary enough of a reason to avoid certain properties/fandoms cause you'd have to avoid a lot just to feel good about yourself.

And I'd argue the Pokémon anime on it's own falls into that territory. At least some shipping comments/fics/art can be family friendly. Stop laughing. :LOL:

But the anime'a occasional fanservice like that shot of Misty in Battle Aboard the St. Anne or say perry moments in Beauty and the Beach or A Chansey Operation (Proctor making a pass at underage girls and Misty having a perfectly fitting nurse's uniform whereas Ash and Brock have larger coats) is definitely without debate squicky.

Heck don't some detractors to anime/manga just assume it's all well official rule 34?

I'd honestly argue the Indigo League loss was the best defeat from a story perspective simply because it led to genuine character growth, while later ones were just there to keep Ash as the main character regardless of how dumb or unsatisfying it was.
Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos certainly (Unova too but that's a given ;)), though I'd say Johto was decent enough in that it didn't feel like a cheat or middle finger.

Reaction score
I'm not saying his dad wasn't, just that it irritates me that Brock didn't care to try anf make up for lost time or anything.
Not to be rude, but why should Brock care? Brock's dad was the one who disregarded his family's feelings and well-being when he made that decision to abandon them for a lame reason (him failing his dream to be a good trainer). It's the responsibility of the parent to mend whatever broken relationship that he/she has with his/her child.

Both of his parents were, which's jarring since the show never properly gave a good explanation for such an irresponsible attitude.
Both his parents suck. They had no business having 10 kids if they had no intention on taking care of them that much.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not to be rude, but why should Brock care? Brock's dad was the one who disregarded his family's feelings and well-being when he made that decision to abandon them for a lame reason (him failing his dream to be a good trainer). It's the responsibility of the parent to mend whatever broken relationship that he/she has with his/her child.

Both his parents suck. They had no business having 10 kids if they had no intention on taking care of them that much.
Well the parent can't work to mend the relationship if the child isn't there.

Reaction score
1. First 50 Episodes of XY were actually really boring except for a few standout episodes.

2. The decline of the anime started when Diamond & Pearl ended.

3. The Problem with Goh isn't with the way he is being handled, it's that he exists. The only way of making the show better better is by getting rid of him. There is no way to fix his arc and his dumb goal.

4. Ash can still develop after his dramatic arc in XY&Z unlike what head writer of the anime said. In fact there is always room for him to develop.

Reaction score
Bea & Korrina cannot even be considered as Rivals if they merely appear and if there is less references to them. Ash has no rival in this series.

Detroit SMAAAASH! Eevee style.
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Bea & Korrina cannot even be considered as Rivals if they merely appear and if there is less references to them. Ash has no rival in this series.
I don't think this is quite accurate. Sure, Korrina definitely isn't a rival, but Bea does have a few classic Ash rival beats, including Ash having battled her more than once and not yet having a clear victory against her (their last match ended in a draw, and there's very strong implications that they'll battle again now that Ash's Riolu has evolved). Another possible rival candidate is the Gallade trainer from best boy Farfetch'd's first focus episode. Finally, there's Leon, whom Ash has stated to be aiming to defeat, making him something of a rival as well.

The reason none of these guys have appeared much has less to do with Ash not having a rival this series and more to do with the fact that the PWC as a whole has been shoved into the background a lot this series, which is certainly a big problem. Let's just hope Journeys gets back on track soon.

Reaction score
I don't think this is quite accurate. Sure, Korrina definitely isn't a rival, but Bea does have a few classic Ash rival beats, including Ash having battled her more than once and not yet having a clear victory against her (their last match ended in a draw, and there's very strong implications that they'll battle again now that Ash's Riolu has evolved). Another possible rival candidate is the Gallade trainer from best boy Farfetch'd's first focus episode. Finally, there's Leon, whom Ash has stated to be aiming to defeat, making him something of a rival as well.

The reason none of these guys have appeared much has less to do with Ash not having a rival this series and more to do with the fact that the PWC as a whole has been shoved into the background a lot this series, which is certainly a big problem. Let's just hope Journeys gets back on track soon.
So will you consider Bea as a rival if she just appears once or twice again?

Reaction score
So I finally got to watch the episode with the dancing Raboot you guys were discussing a few pages ago and honestly I don't understand the controversy. The episode couldn't make it more obvious if it outright spelt it out to the audience that dancing wasn't what Raboot wanted to do or even something new it was trying out. Pokémon from that part of Hoenn apparently resolved territory issues by having some sort of dancing competitions, and Raboot was trying to help Lombre and those Zigzagoons, just like it did back in Galar as a Scorbunny. I think the episode was pretty straightforward regarding that and genuinely don't get where you guys got all that about dancing being Raboot's goal. :p

I however didn't like how the end of the episode was handled. Goh almost abandoned Raboot and just got away with it because Raboot was conveniently there all the time :cautious:. I feel that could've lead to some good conflict, and even if it didn't, Goh shouldn't have gotten away with it so easily. Imagine how horrible it must be to be abandoned by your Trainer like that. You wake up, and he's nowhere to be seen. He's just gone, with no previous warning, no reasons given, no farewells. Even if Goh did it with good intentions it is still a horrible thing to do and shouldn't just go unpunished like that.

Now that I think about it, I don't like how Goh is handled in general. But that seems to be a rather widespread opinion...