• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

KenzeyEevee

Be kind and change the world!
Reaction score
Mistys goal was very weird, being a pokemon water type master. Except competing the Whirl cup, did she do anything for it?

Unireon

僕の心は 君のもの
Reaction score
I like Kotetsu, as a character.
But I agree that the battle was awful shitty writing at its worst.

Despite XY being one of my favourite generations; I needed a one month break after the League. The Team Flare Arc had to wait.

nickdt

Reaction score
I never liked the green monkey line.

Jukain is one of the strongest Pokemon Satoshi has, agreed it neeeded more focus to be the Ace but I felt that was due to Oosubame receiving a fair share of it. And then Battle Frontier introduced rotation.

And we had Glalie in the Hoenn League being the MVP outclassing the rest of the team.

Unireon

僕の心は 君のもの
Reaction score
Oh. I forgot about Onigohri defeating the overrated orange lizard.
Yeah. It was utterly wasted.

Jewel the Quaxly

Duckies! :3
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Personally, I love XY. It's my favorite series, but I absolutely cannot STAND the fact that I cannot express even the slightest criticism towards it pretty much anywhere without getting attacked, hence why I took my complaints here.

The pokemon fandom in general is very weird. I left a different fandom because of its toxicity but then I come across the "us vs them" arguments in regards to XY which just always manages to make me mad. Not specifically on these forums, per se, but in general. I've yet to have a single positive interaction with an XY fan, which is...weird to say the least. It's hard to enjoy a series you like when the fans give it a negative reputation.

As for something controversial, Journeys is getting absolutely excessive amounts of hate at this point. It's honestly kind of ridiculous, which I'd never thought I'd say because the only things I've had to say positive towards the series were for the two recent episodes and that's it. I still stand with my criticisms towards the series but at some point the constant debates start to get annoying since they never really actually go anywhere. Like I said, I have critisims towards the series as well, but I'm beginning to lay off on expressing some of it because the negativity is getting to me.

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
You mean the Sceptile that beat a Darkrai only because 4 Pokemon beforehand weakened it?

If I remember correctly it was 3 Pokemons Actually Torkoal, Gible and Heracross, btw the last time I checked Torkoal couldn't do anything towards Darkrai and got knocked out with one Dark Pulse, Heracross did a pretty good job against Darkrai but getting hit by Dream Eater probably restored most of the Darkrai's energy, so yeah I don't want to sound like giving Sceptile too much Credit but I think it deserved to have that win.
(Maybe Heracross didn't manage to took out Darkrai but it still showed that it's a good fighter If you ask me)

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

Ash's Lucario is his greatest Pokémon!
Reaction score
Personally, I love XY. It's my favorite series, but I absolutely cannot STAND the fact that I cannot express even the slightest criticism towards it pretty much anywhere without getting attacked, hence why I took my complaints here

SAME. I didn’t know XY is so hated, it’s legit the most popular series ever and was extremely popular during its run. I love XY way more than any other series combined.
XY>every other series combined

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
SAME. I didn’t know XY is so hated, it’s legit the most popular series ever and was extremely popular during its run. I love XY way more than any other series combined.
XY>every other series combined

Tbh I don't hate XY but I hate how they decided to make a whole season for Greninja, I don't think none of the Ash's mons (maybe even Charizard) got something big like that.

nickdt

Reaction score
If I remember correctly it was 3 Pokemons Actually Torkoal, Gible and Heracross, btw the last time I checked Torkoal couldn't do anything towards Darkrai and got knocked out with one Dark Pulse, Heracross did a pretty good job against Darkrai but getting hit by Dream Eater probably restored most of the Darkrai's energy, so yeah I don't want to sound like giving Sceptile too much Credit but I think it deserved to have that win.
(Maybe Heracross didn't manage to took out Darkrai but it still showed that it's a good fighter If you ask me)

Swellow as well.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
An actual controversial opinion: XY(Z), let alone overrated, receives a ton of weird vitriol/hate towards it in these forums. There are a thousand posts talking about how hating XY is a controversial opinion, but in reality, most of this forum seems to hate it.

I'm really not sure how you got that impression. While there more discussion on its flaws or the complaints people have about the series compared to when it was on the air, I don't think that most of the people here hate it. Maybe it's hard for me to really see it when it got so much praise during its run and even stuff like the Kalos League or Greninja's release didn't really affect its overall popularity among fans in the long term. I still remember most users here being relatively happy with XY by the end of its run. The only series here that receive consistent hate are BW and Journeys and even the BW hate has gotten less intense over the years. XY still seems to have a pretty positive reception here from what I can tell. The hype for it might have calmed down a bit, but to say that most of the people here hate it seems like an exaggeration to me. Despite feeling like it was a bit too overhyped during its run, XY is either my second or third favorite series. I keep going back and forth on whether I like it more than AG due to a combination of XY's own strengths and the fact that elements in AG haven't aged well for me.

Personally, I love XY. It's my favorite series, but I absolutely cannot STAND the fact that I cannot express even the slightest criticism towards it pretty much anywhere without getting attacked, hence why I took my complaints here.

The pokemon fandom in general is very weird. I left a different fandom because of its toxicity but then I come across the "us vs them" arguments in regards to XY which just always manages to make me mad. Not specifically on these forums, per se, but in general. I've yet to have a single positive interaction with an XY fan, which is...weird to say the least. It's hard to enjoy a series you like when the fans give it a negative reputation.

I've had similar experiences with both this and other fandoms. I've also heard of how there were a lot of arguments between XY and SM fans during SM's run, which probably ties into the "us vs. them" arguments you mentioned. It is annoying and frustrating to say the least.

AnimeJewel246 said:
As for something controversial, Journeys is getting absolutely excessive amounts of hate at this point. It's honestly kind of ridiculous, which I'd never thought I'd say because the only things I've had to say positive towards the series were for the two recent episodes and that's it. I still stand with my criticisms towards the series but at some point the constant debates start to get annoying since they never really actually go anywhere. Like I said, I have critisims towards the series as well, but I'm beginning to lay off on expressing some of it because the negativity is getting to me.

I agree completely. I can understand why the complaints still come up when the issues people have with the series are still present and they don't feel like there's any improvement being made. That kind of frustration/disappointment is understandable, but the hate is just so excessive at this point. There are plenty of issues that I have with the series too that I can and have gone on about, but it can also get too exhausting and draining to focus on just what you don't like about it. Granted, in my case, it probably helps that I disagree on some of the more common complaints, mainly about Goh and the screentime issue, and I do really like Goh as well. Some people may not have anything they really enjoy about the anime now and that is rough, but it just gets tiring to see the same arguments over and over again. Not to mention the negativity quickly can make the discussions more toxic and make people with different opinions feel uncomfortable to express them.