• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I never understand how people can complain about Pikashinium-Z as a "DEM" but the same people never complained about Ash-Greninja,
1. We actually have an explanation for why Ash-Greninja occurs, unlike Pikashunium Z which conveniently pops up whenever it’s trainer is in a hard spot.
2. Ash needed to EARN Battle Bond. He actually had to work to perfect the form. Pikashunium Z is a out of the box finisher move which comes out of nowhere. He also faces a physical consequence for using Battle Bond as he gets hurt when Greninja does. The point is, the form needed investment and had consequences and was less than perfect to defeat every opponent.
3. The Pikachu vs Mimikyu is one of the worst written battle imo, thanks to this plot device. Greninja has lost even with Ash-Greninja, whereas Pikachu was given nothing but wins.

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
The difference is, Pikashinium-Z was a finishing move and Ash-Greninja was basically a stat boost. The former ended the battle with Tapu Koko, and the latter still required Greninja to battle. Even then, Greninja was fighting against Mega Evolved Pokemon who had a power boost as well, so it balanced out.

I'm pretty sure Tapu-Koko also used it's own Z-Move, so it's still balanced out like Greninja did.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Johto is widely known as the region of endless filler, but I feel they missed one great filler opportunity. At the end of Hocus Pokémon, Ash is transformed into a Pikachu, and starts actually liking it when he learns it's only temporary. This was an interesting premise, which easily could've been used to base an entire episode around. But nope. Within the first 15 seconds of the very next episode, Ash already changes back. Why on Earth didn't they dedicate at least one whole episode to this premise? At best, we could've even gotten a small filler arc of Ashachu, but instead, we only get less than two total minutes of it. A perfect storytelling opportunity, and nothing is done with it.

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
Johto is widely known as the region of endless filler, but I feel they missed one great filler opportunity. At the end of Hocus Pokémon, Ash is transformed into a Pikachu, and starts actually liking it when he learns it's only temporary. This was an interesting premise, which easily could've been used to base an entire episode around. But nope. Within the first 15 seconds of the very next episode, Ash already changes back. Why on Earth didn't they dedicate at least one whole episode to this premise? At best, we could've even gotten a small filler arc of Ashachu, but instead, we only get less than two total minutes of it. A perfect storytelling opportunity, and nothing is done with it.

Then what are they gonna do with it? Teleport Ash into another world where humans none existant but filled with Pokemons? Oh wait-

Last edited:

Daren

Unsung Hero
Reaction score
That was one of the weirdest scenes in the original series, and briefly carrying it over to the next episode made it weirder.
No wonder it became so popular in the fandom.

Then what are they gonna do with it? Teleport Ash into another world where humans none existant but filled with Pokemons? Oh wait-
I wonder if that scene partly inspired the MD games to star human-turned Pokémon instead of just a regular Pokémon.

R1ke

D U C K
Reaction score
Honestly my best guess for the Pikashunium-Z phenomenon is that the Z power ring+electrium Z Ash was given by Tapu Koko were imbued with some of its power. Since Tapu Koko is the electric deity, it could explain why it only affects electric moves/crystals. We also know that the Tapus can create more Z power as well.

These ‘special’ properties of the Z power ring might allow it to temporarily ‘upgrade’ electric type Z moves. Because it only uses a fraction if its power the transformation is only temporary (maybe because the excess z power gets used up after the move and needs to recharge?). Since z-moves require a strong bond between a trainer and pokemon to activate, this transformation can only occur in the heat of an intense battle; when both Ash and Pikachu are in sync (like during the Lusamine crisis, against Tapu Koko or even when they’re losing against TR’s mimikyu). Ash’s Pikachu is also said to be much stronger than ordinary ones, so maybe that allows it to actually use this stronger z move.

I’ll admit this is basically my headcanon but hopefully it makes sense.

PikaFriend

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Because it only uses a fraction if its power the transformation is only temporary (maybe because the excess z power gets used up after the move and needs to recharge?).
Funny thing I've noticed about Pikashunium Z is that in the last Sun & Moon episode we see it (after the Tapu-Koko battle) and in the second Journeys episode, the Z crystal still stays that way.

R1ke

D U C K
Reaction score
Funny thing I've noticed about Pikashunium Z is that in the last Sun & Moon episode we see it (after the Tapu-Koko battle) and in the second Journeys episode, the Z crystal still stays that way.
Ah yeah that’s right. Maybe the repeated usage changed it permanently? I’m just spitballing here haha.

Btw welcome to the forums!

HiroHunter

Limits can be broken!
Reaction score
Since we're still kinda on the topic of XY, am I the only one who actually liked the XY movies? I especially liked Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel. I mean, I wouldn't say they're the best movies-because they're far from it-but I DO feel as if they're kind of underrated.
I with you here I liked all of the XY movies

Reaction score
Character flaws make him a more interesting character instead of just a marketing vehicle, and I think one of the stronger elements of OS and AG was seeing the way he gradually grows and improves in more than just battling. For instance, I can't see OS Ash not flipping out when Max grabbed the badge and ran for it after he defeated Norman, but in AG he was able to stay calm and deal with the situation delicately.

I forgot to mention that I always found it annoying how fans are okay with Ash having flaws as a character, but Arceus forbid any of his female companions have flaws.

Reaction score
Could you elaborate on that?

I want to talk about Misty and Iris, but that subject has been completely overdone in this forum. Let me just say that I’ve never seen fans wish death on Ash for being a brat like how they have done to Misty and Iris and I’ll leave it at that.

Plus I don’t want this thread being locked again because the topic of Ash’s female companions is a very delicate one and it causes hurt feelings.

Last edited:

Jewel the Quaxly

Duckies! :3
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Lysander is the most overrated villain in the entire anime. Actually, all of the villains pale compared to the likes of this one antagonist. Compared to this one antagonist, their motives are weak, they have no personality, are cookie-cutter villains, they're only threats when the plot demands it, are inconsistent, and they hardly affect the main characters in any way, shape, or form. The obviously best villain in the anime is this one.
Screenshot_20210524-114328_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom