• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

RafaSceptile

Reaction score
Pronouns
He
Honestly, the reason why I’m so mad that he lost Kalos is that he won Alola. I know I need to move on but it still stings...

Sorry but this is a very...weird (for not saying another word) reasoning, because what happened in the Kalos League has absolute no correlation with what happened in the Alola League, at least in the anime itself.

Jewel the Quaxly

Duckies! :3
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Actually, adding on to my previous post, the more I think about it, the more I realize how essentially flawed Movie 20 was. Ash and Pikachu received almost no development. There was too much irrelevant information to include and it was overall just very messy. Team Rocket could have easily been cut. The Butterfree and Charizard storylines respectively could've been cut as they had barely any bearing on the main story-line, which I guess was going to find Ho-Oh(?). The focus was supposedly Ash and Pikachu's relationship-if the climax is anything to go by-but they essentially have no growth in their relationship whatsoever and still remain the same as they were in the beginning. They were already ridiculously close from the very instant Ash was ready to give up his life for Pikachu-what, now they're...closer, I guess??? The actual climax of the movie was never properly explained or previously established in any way, shape, or form. Even Cross could've easily been cut from the movie. They gave two side characters proper motivations but did nothing with it-sure, they didn't have enough time to, but genuinely, what were Verity and Sorrel doing there??? There's so much in this movie that feels so irrelevant and has no bearing on the main story, which isn't even all that well established either. I guess that's what happens when you make a movie for the sole purpose of nostalgia baiting-you get a messy story with messy plot-lines and barely established character roles with a static protagonist as a cherry on top.

Last edited:

Pokemonfan5

Reaction score
I don't think you understand what character development is. Movie 20 was an example of how NOT to do Ash. Exactly how did Ash grown and develop in that one movie? The answer: he didn't. He remained static and barely developed throughout.
Should we forget how May end up top 4 only to lose to the Tobias of GF and dawn runner up in her first GF? they both don't have rush development, what movie did in 4 Episodes time an entire season actually can do that with on screen development if writers want to but they want to run this anime for 20+ years so Ash growth are very slow while Ash companions was so close to reach their goal because they're staying only for one series

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Should we forget how May end up top 4 only to lose to the Tobias of GF and dawn runner up in her first GF? they both don't have rush development, what movie did in 4 Episodes time an entire season actually can do that with on screen development if writers want to but they want to run this anime for 20+ years so Ash growth are very slow while Ash companions was so close to reach their goal because they're staying only for one series
In the most polite way possible I think you’re confusing "character development" with "reaching your goal". Someone could reach their goal and still remain stagnant as a character.

Pokemonfan5

Reaction score
In the most polite way possible I think you’re confusing "character development" with "reaching your goal". Someone could reach their goal and still remain stagnant as a character.
And I'm saying writers can develop his character and make him at least Champion of a region at the end of Johto saga if they want to, May and Dawn are two of the best developed pokegirls and has better placement than Ash even in their first try, does those two has no development?
If we look at DP series it seems writers was setting up Champions league after Ash won Sinnoh league, it was perfect time for Ash to win the league after beating Paul in finale, instead writers thrown away all the build up into dustbin, put Ash Vs Paul in quarter finals and made Ash lose to Tobias because they don't know what to do with him.

Jewel the Quaxly

Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
And I'm saying writers can develop his character and make him at least Champion of a region at the end of Johto saga if they want to, May and Dawn are two of the best developed pokegirls and has better placement than Ash even in their first try, does those two has no development
Like PkmnTrainerV already said, you're confusing "character development" with "achievement"...

Pokemonfan5

Reaction score
I
Like PkmnTrainerV already said, you're confusing "character development" with "achievement"...
I'm asking does May and Dawn has very rushed or zero development that their achievements can't be comparable?

Writers spend 100+ Episodes to make Ash come out of his noob trainer phase and become competent, 3 johto seasons to best Gary, 4 AG series to make him more humble instead of overconfident and become strategic than another 4 season DP series to let him learn from others.

All of those things could've been handle in 5 seasons of OS series as each development just need one season, instead writers make it so slow, waste too many episodes on fillers, most of Brock and Misty focus Episodes didn't done anything to develop their characters.

ii kanji

Eternally misleading
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/her
Sun and Moon actually isn't a slice-of-life, as it does have a manner of plot and adventure. The problem lies within how they are established. I'm not saying the characters don't have any development, because that's just objectively wrong, but I'm saying that they don't have character development in the fact that they don't really grow as characters all that much.
I get what you mean now. I think the thing that makes SM fundamentally different from other series is that it more of a character-driven, than a story-driven series, and because of that very little stuff is actually achieved and the plot itself feels weaker because it’s not the driving force.

I actually liked this - it felt real. How much progress do any of us make on our goals in 1 year (for example), or how much do we tangibly change? What did change over time is their relationships with each other, their families, their Pokemon and these in turn made changes (some more profound, some more marginal) on their own characters.

I do agree that I wish we’d seen more from Mao, however, her stability actually felt genuine regardless of the life changing event of having lost her mother before the series began. From the beginning she was the lynchpin of the group and in the end she was the only person left behind and I could really understand and relate to that on a personal level. If anything, more melodrama might have taken away from that.

Jewel the Quaxly

Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Not sure how controversial this is, but Keldeo and the Swords of Justice is one of the most underrated pokemon movies ever. The action is fast and well-done, the movie stays focused on the plot and develops Keldeo as a character throughout, and the ways that Iris, Cilan, and Ash all showed off their own characters throughout this movie without feeling as if they were just "there" was amazing. The subtle moments that established every character relationship was very nice to see and something that the pokemon anime in general excells at. Sure, the beginning was badly paced, and there were a couple other problems, but as a whole, the movie is just underrated. I liked this one more than The Rise of Darkrai, which I actually feel is an overrated movie.

PinkIceFox

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
I haven't ever really been able to watch the anime fully (even as a kid I missed most of every season- I'd say the one I saw the most of is probably Indigo League and Orange Islands) and only caught a few episodes every few seasons until Black and White when I dropped out completely.

My Controversial Opinion: I'd probably be more likely to start watching the anime again if it focused more on pokemon in nature or just their behavior in the world in general over the humans doing literally anything. Unless Piers is involved. Like, get me a nature documentary series of the pokemon world and I would buy ALL THE DVDS.

Also another one: Even though I haven't watched most of the Anime from what I have seen of it I will make the statement that GOH IS THE BEST 'COMPANION' CHARACTER YET. Goh for protagonist. Throw out the eternal baby Ash.

Top Bottom