• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
I mean Misty sleept on Ash's house but not in a bed with him so yeah, but I have no idea with Serena "Sexist" thing is coming from, can someone enlightened me about that?
What does that part about Misty mean?

Serena gets called a "Sexist or Misogynistic" archetype by those who think that her character revolves around Ash.
They think she blindly worships Ash and that she apparently does nothing except stand around to look cute.

It also doesn't help that Serena told Fenniken something along the lines of "A Girl's Job is to always be Cute" or something like that I can't remember at the moment.

It's considered "un- feminist" if a woman looks to a man for inspiration or has girly interests.

And God forbid if she *gasp* actually falls in LOVE with a Man!

Female characters must reject Romance and Feminity and be as aggressive and "Strong" as the Men in order to not be considered "Sexist"

Serena is not a "Strong" Female Character according to them so therefore she's "Sexist" and/or "Misogynistic"

Dawn also got similar accusations back in the day

Last edited:

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
Serena gets called a "Sexist or Misogynistic" archetype by those who think that her character revolves around Ash.

It's considered "un- feminist" if a woman looks to a man for inspiration or has girly interests.

And God forbid if she *gasp* actually falls in LOVE with a Man!

Female characters must reject Feminity and be as aggressive and "Strong" as the Men in order to not be considered "Sexist"

Dawn also got similar accusations back in the day

Wow, that sounds pretty dumb reasons to hate, sure Serena sometimes (from what I've seen) might be act like a yandere but agree with you about these things.

Last edited:

Jewel the Quaxly

Duckies! :3
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
I don't know if it's just me, but I really couldn't enjoy old episodes of the pokemon anime more often than not. For this post, I'm specifically talking about the first few episodes of DP, which feel as if they're dragging on and just feel painful to get through. It's weird, honestly, because as far as I've seen, the pacing IS good...but at the same time, the episodes just feel boring. I find it hard to get past the first few episodes to get to the mid-points of the series-which I know is where things would pick up because I've watched some episodes in the middle and after that I thoroughly enjoyed. But it's just SO HARD to get to that point because the beginning episodes just feel really boring in my opinion.

It's weird, because at the same time, the beginning episodes have a crap ton of important events happening-but I sadly just can't really feel engaged.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I don't recall having much of a problem with DP's pacing. Part of that is probably due to just being able to rewatch it at my own pace as opposed to being a weekly series like when it was airing, but I don't remember thinking that the series was too slow or that the first few episodes were dragging things along. I don't think I was instantly hooked on DP either, but the first few episodes were really solid with Dawn's introduction, Ash making his first Sinnoh capture and establishing his rivalry with Paul right away. I still remember Cartoon Network airing all three episodes together when the series first started. This was back when they actually cared about the series too.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
This was back when they actually cared about the series too.
I think they care now too. Except for the music department. The dub music these days isn't technically bad, just unfitting.

But yeah. DP was probably the last truly great series for the dub. After that, the music started dragging the quality down. While the voice acting is (mostly) good these days, the music just makes it hard for me to watcht the dub.

Enzo

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I don't know if it's just me, but I really couldn't enjoy old episodes of the pokemon anime more often than not. For this post, I'm specifically talking about the first few episodes of DP, which feel as if they're dragging on and just feel painful to get through. It's weird, honestly, because as far as I've seen, the pacing IS good...but at the same time, the episodes just feel boring. I find it hard to get past the first few episodes to get to the mid-points of the series-which I know is where things would pick up because I've watched some episodes in the middle and after that I thoroughly enjoyed. But it's just SO HARD to get to that point because the beginning episodes just feel really boring in my opinion.

It's weird, because at the same time, the beginning episodes have a crap ton of important events happening-but I sadly just can't really feel engaged.
Honestly, this is a bit of a hang up that I have with DP, even tho it's my fav series. There's not a lot of exciting things that happen in the first season/year. So the episodes do feel like they drag on a bit. But in all honesty, I do think it was for the best.

The big deal is that this first year really took their time to estabilish a lot of stuff. We met Dawn, her motivations and her Piplup within the first episodes (where Ash and Brock pratically didn't showed up), we get out first encounters with Paul, where we learn about him and his methods with Pokémon training how they contrast with Ash's and the ignition of their rivalry, we meet Hunter J and she's estabilished as a major future threat, we also meet Kenny, Nando and Zoey, the latter who would become Dawn's endgame rival and would help fuel her journey, we get the first glimpses of Brock wanting to change his career, Ash gets 3 Pokémon and 2 badges, Chimchar's/Infernape's arc starts, etc. I mean, really: a lot happens in the first season.

Stuff wouldn't have picked up later if they rushed through so much.

And the thing that really puts DP at least 10 steps ahead of pratically every other series, be past or future, imo, is that the writers took their time to plant the seeds for the show. Even tho they did quite a lot, none of that feels rushed. Everything gets really well estabilished and with strong, sturdy roots. They sowed the ground and had an extremely fruitful harvest. And we saw how amazing that was.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think they care now too. Except for the music department. The dub music these days isn't technically bad, just unfitting.

But yeah. DP was probably the last truly great series for the dub. After that, the music started dragging the quality down. While the voice acting is (mostly) good these days, the music just makes it hard for me to watcht the dub.

I was referring to Cartoon Network, not TPCI. They promoted the premiere of DP, aired the first three episodes together and even had at least the last few episodes of the Tag Battle arc air on prime time. After that season, I think that they slowly start to lose interest in the series, although I don't think it became more apparent until around BW's run. The dub music is still a problem though. Most of the time the dub score just kind of seems unmemorable to me, but I can see how it would be more jarring when you compare it to the original score.

KyseL

Reaction score
Misty isn't a "B*tch" and Serena isn't "Sexist" for having a crush
[/ISpoiler]
I wouldn't say Serena is sexist for having a crush.
It also doesn't help that Serena told Fenniken something along the lines of "A Girl's Job is to always be Cute" or something like that I can't remember at the moment.
This, however...

All jokes aside, Serena does make me a bit uncomfortable, I think she plays the "subservient waifu" part a bit too much, and it honestly was one of the reasons I decided to put XY on hold again. I know it gets better eventually, and part of her character arc is getting some agency on her life, but it's a little too frustrating to watch for me right now.who knows, maybe my opinion will change once I finish the series, especially the huge middle chunk of episodes I missed.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
It is a sexist remark though? I haven’t watched much of the series' beginning, but this is a sexist remark out of context.

Rainbow-Rain

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Serena is sexist for having a crush.

This, however...

It is a sexist remark though? I haven’t watched much of the series' beginning, but this is a sexist remark out of context.

Ah ok I found the context for that line

The correct statement Serena told Fenniken was that "Girls should take care of their appearances"
(Sorry I screwed up on my previous post)

The context here was that Serena was making a Pokevision video.

I can see how that can sound sexist outside of the context.

But if you're trying to make a Video where you intend on having loads of people watching then I can see how wanting to take care of your appearance is an important factor.

Still perhaps they could've worded it differently

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Ah ok I found the context for that line

The correct statement Serena told Fenniken was that "Girls should take care of their appearances"
(Sorry I screwed up on my previous post)

The context here was that Serena was making a Pokevision video.

I can see how that can sound sexist outside of the context.

But if you're trying to make a Video where you intend on having loads of people watching then I can see how wanting to take care of your appearance is an important factor.

Still perhaps they could've worded it differently
I still think it’s sexist since iirc even males were a part of the PokeVision video.

KenzeyEevee

Be kind and change the world!
Reaction score
The Galar starters get the short end of the stick in JN :
-we have a fully evolved Cinderance, who appears less and less after evolving.
-we have a Drizzle who doesnt appear at all after evolving.
-we have a Grookey who debuts after 59 episodes into the series.

Come on writers... Starters never have been treated in such a way, not even during OS. I know there was Monferno, but still.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Galar starters get the short end of the stick in JN :
-we have a fully evolved Cinderance, who appears less and less after evolving.
-we have a Drizzle who doesnt appear at all after evolving.
-we have a Grookey who debuts after 59 episodes into the series.

Come on writers... Starters never have been treated in such a way, not even during OS. I know there was Monferno, but still.

I think that's judging at least Drizzle a bit too fast, especially when not appearing after its evolution does at least make sense. Ideally, it will show up some more before inevitably evolving. I agree that they took too long to have Grookey appear, but I don't think that's necessarily because it got the short end of the stick. Given how long it took for Sobble to appear, I think that they want to handle the newest starters differently with this series since it isn't set primarily in Galar. Plus, it isn't really lacking in attention at the moment and the most recent episode focused partly on Grookey.

Cinderace appearing less after evolving is more disappointing, especially when I liked the bond between Goh and Cinderace. Goh reconnecting with Raboot was one of the reasons why I started to really like Goh too. Despite that, I wouldn't say that Cinderace has been handled poorly, at least not at the moment. I think that they wanted to evolve Cinderace possibly in par to show that it wasn't going to be the cute secondary mascot like a lot of fans assumed when Goh was first shown with Scorbunny. I also still think that they may want to give Goh a Gigatamax Cinderace at some point.

While I don't think that the Galar starters have been handled perfectly by any means, I don't think that they've been treated poorly either. I don't think that the writers didn't have faith or interest in using the Galar starters, which is a notion that has come up multiple times before.

Enzo

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
This pains me especially because, and Idk about you guys, but I love every single stage of all of the starters. I think Galar was the only region (at least up to this moment, that is) where I loved every single version of the starter trio. Normally there's one or two stinkers for me in every regional starters lines, but it didn't happened to me with the galarian trio. So seeing them getting this treatment is honestly painfull :(

*Tifanny Pollard's voice*
''Grookey, sweetie, I'm so sorry...''

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
It pains me in general just seeing how Galar got the short end of the stick. I mean its not just the starters, though it frustrates me seeing how they've been handled, and seeing all go to Goh. Its the Pokemon in general, the region itself, and its characters. While SwSh as a game has a number of issues, there's a lot I like about it and it sucks to see it not get the treatment other games got with their respective series.

Last edited:

Rainbow-Rain

Reaction score
One thing I noticed is that the Galar Starters really did change the game for future Starters going forward into the series tho.

These will be the 1st set of Starters to have all 3 reach their final stages

Also none of them went to Ash.

This brings forth 2 very Big Questions.

1.) Will Ash ever get another Starter again?

2.) Will all Starters Fully Evolve from the this point out?