• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I've seen people more angry just at the fact that Ash didn't get a single one
"Ash didn’t get even a single starter and this isn’t great" is not equal to "Go getting 3 starters by himself makes him a writer's pet". I haven’t seen any sentiment that’s upset about Go getting 3 starters all by itself, its usually linked to development issues, Galar representation in Ash's team and treatment of said starters under Go.

"Ash didn’t get even a single starter and this isn’t great" is not equal to "Go getting 3 starters by himself makes him a writer's pet". I haven’t seen any sentiment that’s upset about Go getting 3 starters all by itself.
Maybe you haven't but I definitely have

The ACTUAL problem with Gou having all 3 Starters however, is that since Gou isn't a Battler it's really hard to develop Scorbunny, Sobble, and Grookey in any way that doesn't seem contrived and when things like Evolution occurs it feels completely unearned because we don't get to see these guys actually doing anything so it just feels like the Writers are handing Goh fully Evolved Starters on a Platter.
This is actually a big reason why I don't like the fact that they gave him all 3 starters.

THIS
20210518_200012.jpg

Looks SO MUCH BETTER than

THIS!!
Nagisa.png

Satoshi should have a fanclub by now. I mean come on, he is a Champion, saved the world, has a special Greninja and Lycanrock.
Serena, Clemont, and Go

Last edited:
At least the haircut that Lana gave it works a bit thematically since, hey, she's a 8-10 (?) years old kid with a pair of scissors. Ofc it's not gonna be amazing and is even gonna look a bit wonky.

In fact, compared to my cousin when she decided to give one to herself when she was 7, Lana might as well be a Paris Fashion Week level professional hairdresser lol.

Journeys make it true.

Bring back Citron, Shouta and every one of those Cotd from OS to XY.
Let them found the Satoshi Fanclub.

Joke aside; the Cotd that admires or grows close to Satoshi traces back to Johto, at least.
It comes with being the 'Hero', common trope.

Last edited:
Okay a really really REAL Controversial Opinion right here!

Sobble and Raboot's Friendship was by far more Organic than the Forced Friendship Lucario and Cinderace have and I'll never not be mad at how their genuinely sweet brotherly relationship got tossed to the dumpster for Shallow Shillmon pandering

Okay a really really REAL Controversial Opinion right here!

Sobble and Raboot's Friendship was by far more Organic than the Forced Friendship Lucario and Cinderace have and I'll never not be mad at how their genuinely sweet brotherly relationship got tossed to the dumpster for Shallow Shillmon pandering
But when's the last time that Lucario and Cinderace were even in the same frame together? Literally the only times they were a true duo was in that one episode with the fake Pikachu and in the most recent episode with Morpeko where they both had their doubts about it. That's it. I understand your frustration over a Pokemon you like not getting any screentime (heck, at this point it's honestly easier to list the Pokemon that haven't had screentime issues in Journeys), but it's not like Ash's Lucario has anything to do with that, since its bond with Cinderace isn't actually being constantly shoved down our throats like you seem to imply.

The only thing between Lucario and Aceburn that was really forced, was them evolving at the same time.

They shouldn't have done that.
At least they realized their mistake after attempting to experiment with creating a dynamic and decided to shaft the idea.

But when's the last time that Lucario and Cinderace were even in the same frame together? Literally the only times they were a true duo was in that one episode with the fake Pikachu and in the most recent episode with Morpeko where they both had their doubts about it. That's it. I understand your frustration over a Pokemon you like not getting any screentime (heck, at this point it's honestly easier to list the Pokemon that haven't had screentime issues in Journeys), but it's not like Ash's Lucario has anything to do with that, since its bond with Cinderace isn't actually being constantly shoved down our throats like you seem to imply.
You also forgot the Mewtwo episode

But anyways I never said this was Lucario's fault.

But the two are often shown marketed as Duo, not helping is the Fanbase making it it out to be some kind of Pokémon version of Ash and Gou's relationship.

Speaking of which, it only feels like the reason why the idea of them being a Duo is a thing in the first place is because they're Ash and Gou's Aces and both are Shillmon. That's pretty much it.

I just personally find it artificial imo.

But that's just my opinion anyways

Speaking of which, it only feels like the reason why the idea of them being a Duo is a thing in the first place is because they're Ash and Gou's Aces and both are Shillmon. That's pretty much it.
To be fair, that's not the only similarity they have: both Lucario and Cinderace are anthropomorphic mammalian animals whose designs partially draw from an aspect of human culture (Lucario from Egyptian Boxing, Cinderace from Soccer), and they both have signature moves that involve round objects of elemental energy being thrown at the opponent (Aura Sphere and Pyro Ball). There's also the factor of them having some interesting contrasts with each other that in theory makes them good foils: Lucario is stoic and serious while Cinderace is friendly and outgoing, Lucario's main colors are blue and black while Cinderace's are orange and white, Lucario's signature move involves the use of hands (or, well, forepaws) while Cinderace's involves the use of feet, Lucario's animal basis is a carnivore while Cinderace's is an herbivore.

Then again, I'm a person who tends to see weird patterns where none really exist (or were intended by the creators), so yeah :p

Back
Top Bottom