• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

The series in general REALLY needs to bring back Contests

After Contests were dropped from the games, the Anime writers had simply no idea what to do with the Companions.

Plus who the heck doesn't miss seeing scenes like this???

I actually prefer battles to Contests. I prefer action to just showing off moves.

I actually prefer battles to Contests. I prefer action to just showing off moves.
Contests do have a battle round, though, so it's not like they consist of just "showing off moves" (I'd argue that that descriptor fits Performances far better). Besides, even if Contests really was just "showing off moves" that'd still give something concrete for Ash's companions to do as opposed to the next to nothing they've been getting. Personally I'd like it if we had another companion with the goal of mastering a certain type, since that has only been done twice and the results were mixed at best. I would like to see a type specialty goal done right for once.

I don't understand how you can see Contests as just showing off moves. Yeah, showing off the beauty of moves and making combinations is a big part of Contests, but it isn't like there aren't any battles in Contests. That was kind of the point of May's first defeat. Contest battles are still ultimately battles. It doesn't matter how much you polish your moves to get through the appeal round. If you can't battle, then you aren't going to get far in a Contest. It's fine to prefer more traditional battles, but Contest have plenty of action in them to. They aren't just flashy displays of moves with no skills or substance behind them. That would be more along the lines of Showcases than Contests.

I don't understand how you can see Contests as just showing off moves. Yeah, showing off the beauty of moves and making combinations is a big part of Contests, but it isn't like there aren't any battles in Contests. That was kind of the point of May's first defeat. Contest battles are still ultimately battles. It doesn't matter how much you polish your moves to get through the appeal round. If you can't battle, then you aren't going to get far in a Contest. It's fine to prefer more traditional battles, but Contest have plenty of action in them to. They aren't just flashy displays of moves with no skills or substance behind them. That would be more along the lines of Showcases than Contests.
True. But I still prefer non-Contest battles. It's just a matter of taste.

That's fine. I just thought it was bit much to dismiss Contest as just showing off moves when there's more going on that than in both the appeal and battle rounds.

After Contests were dropped from the games, the Anime writers had simply no idea what to do with the Companions.

The way this scene ATE and left no crumbs>>>>>>>>>

9 years old me was on the verge of passing out when I saw this for the first time.

Battles won’t disappear if they start doing contests, you know that, right? + the points other people mentioned. Ironically ever since contests disappeared female companions have battled less and less, and the second protagonist's goal has to be separated from battles as much as possible in JN to contrast him from Ash, so I don’t exactly realise what your point is.

Contests can lead to a positive impact on battles: Ash's improvisations were at an all time high in Sinnoh thanks to taking inspiration from Dawn at points.

I don't think we need more contests now which already get perfect send off with DP, all the female protagonist from games are doing contests only in anime except Lyra.

It would be best if other female companion in anime had different arc in my opinion.

I don't think we need more contests now which already get perfect send off with DP, all the female protagonist from games are doing contests only in anime except Lyra.

It would be best if other female companion in anime had different arc in my opinion.
What would you think their arc should be?

Even I must admit I come to a blank when it comes to what the girl's goals should be. It's probably why Chloe doesn't have one now.

What would you think their arc should be?

Even I must admit I come to a blank when it comes to what the girl's goals should be. It's probably why Chloe doesn't have one now.
Not everything need to be related to some kind of competitions, Iris dragon master goal was pretty good but BW bad writing didn't let it fleshed out properly, or they could do something like Lillie who was overcoming her PTSD and later slowly becoming a better trainer, but than again fans who mostly wanted to see Pokegirl in battles won't like that.

It's really hard to top May and Dawn for best written pokegirls.

I've always liked seeing main characters do things outside their usual field of specialty, which was actually rather common in DP. I mean things like Ash, Brock, and James trying out Contests and Dawn being the first main character other than Ash to challenge a Gym Leader. I always liked when that happened.

That battle was amazing. I love Leafeon. It’s my favorite Eeveelution

Not everything need to be related to some kind of competitions, Iris dragon master goal was pretty good but BW bad writing didn't let it fleshed out properly, or they could do something like Lillie who was overcoming her PTSD and later slowly becoming a better trainer, but than again fans who mostly wanted to see Pokegirl in battles won't like that.

It's really hard to top May and Dawn for best written pokegirls.

Having competitions does tend to help give characters' goals more structure though. That's a big reason why May and Dawn worked so well because they had a goal that required the writers to focus on them more often and ideally would show them becoming stronger over the course of their respective series. It isn't the only way to have well written female leads, but I think the female leads with a competition based goal generally were better than the ones without them. Putting aside my issues with Iris and BW on the side for a moment, I can't really see how Iris' Dragon Master goal was that good. This is mainly because they were quite limited on Dragon types in Unova for a large portion of BW, so there were fewer Pokemon she could have caught to actually help her with her goal.

Lillie overcoming her PTSD was good. I actually preferred episodes dealing with that issue than their attempts to adapt her storyline from the video games. Video game Lillie and SM Lillie were two different characters, so I think forcing elements of the former's storyline into the anime was a poor choice. Slowly becoming a better trainer was okay, but I think the long gaps between her focus episodes didn't really help in making things like Snowy defeating a Salamence in the Alola League or even getting pass the preliminary round particularly believable for me. That being said, I think that both Chloe and to a lesser degree Lillie are good examples of how the female leads can have good writing without being involved in a competition related to their goal. But I also still miss having the anime having more focus on the female lead and the female lead being more proactive in general. That's a big reason why it feels like the anime lost something important when Contest were removed and they still haven't found something else to make up for that loss. It definitely doesn't help that both SM and Journeys are seriously lacking in more proactive female battlers in general as well.

Back
Top Bottom