• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

nickdt

Reaction score
This reminded me of a certain JN character who has seen almost no impactful losses so far...Hence the reason they don’t feel like a real person to me.

——
[This is actually unrelated to the above post, this was inspired by it, though, hence me including it in the same comment]
Since it’s clearly about a different character, hence a gap. Go's tendency of never facing a major setback (for the pedantic people, my definition of major is something that impacts him beyond a single episode, look at Ash's slump). His character flaws of not being able to interact properly socially, and the other things, while they’re personally relatable to me, feel conveniently manufactured to fit the needs of the episodes, since they only affect him when the plot calls for it, and then disappear after that, till the next time the plot needs Go's flaws. And ironically, these flaws never act as flaws. They actually end up helping him in episodes, like the Drizzile episode. And even more ironically, this was the series top that attempted to give its other protagonist development via a loss and slump (as mishandled as it may be), but neglected to show any equivalent for Go. Yes, he may have failed to catch one or two Pokémon, or Zapdos. But does it affect him AFTER the events of the episode? No. I think the character needs a catalyst, and their flaws to pop up in settings they are... flaws. Because a flaw isn’t a flaw if it just seems to benefit the person whenever it pops up. Show him struggling with someone other than Ash or something, instead of bringing in Ash to show "teamwork" for instance. Show him dwelling on his losses. A character isn’t entertaining if they just progress- there’s a reason Ash has been portrayed as an underdog for a significant portion of a long running series.

He could've been a much better written character if his flaws were worked upon, or he faced measurable setbacks. When I gave some thouhht to the unrelated comment above by @FinnishPokéFan92, I realised , Go doesn’t feel like a real person to me because he’s never had a constant set of flaws with him or no measurable setback. He goes full swing in his goals always. Project Mew might change that, but i need to have a look at it before making assumptions. With just a few tweaks he could be the most relatable character to me, but he won’t be due to the reasons illustrated above, at least for now. Again, one more case of wasted potential to make a character conventionally good and successful on sceeen.

They should have made Pidgeotto Gohs Dunsparce.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I've said many times that Black & White was the series of wasted. But honestly, so was Johto. In addition to the GS Ball, we got the Apricorn Balls that were never used (They had a perfect opportunity for Brock to use his Heavy Ball in that one Hoenn filler episode with a giant Gulpin, but instead we got another Heavy Ball out of nowhere. Would've been underwhelming, but still better than nothing. Also, Ash's Fast Ball is teased in the Master Quest opening.), Ash used his Sun Stone on a filler Pokémon, and other than Lugia (and maybe Suicune), the Legendary Pokémon of Johto were criminally underutilized. Just to name a few elements.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
There's still a long way to go so I'm not ready to call Goh wasted potential just yet. Project Mew is shaping up nicely in giving him a challenge to overcome and a rival to contend with (and Gary being Gary), so we should see more compelling conflicts involving him soon.
Project Mew might change that, but i need to have a look at it before making assumptions
I did say that, but in my opinion many opportunists in the series have gone where they could've done something with Go, but chose to forgo it in favour of conventional success or contrived occurrences. A character can have wasted potential at a point in the series and still have upcoming potential. In view with the current JN trend, I have stopped making assumptions both positive and negative ("Don’t count your chickens before they hatch” goes both ways).

This is my assessment of the character based on what we have seen so far, and they have refused to follow onto a lot of opportunities that would solve the issues that I highlighted above. Does Go have wasted potential? Yes. Is there more potential upcoming for him? Also yes.

Pokemonfan5

Reaction score
And yet, despite May being just as much of a rookie as Dawn at first, she never lost in the Appeal Round, unlike Dawn. Dawn also lost five official Contests, while May only lost three during her travels with Ash.

Dawn's losses also felt more impactful for me, because they were actually part of her character growth, took multiple episodes to resolve, and overall made her feel more like a real person.
Dawn loses in appeal round is more impactful for sure but her final 2 lost in a row was meaningless, it was just to stretch the series to complete in 4 years timeline.

May and Dawn had different problems, May was a rookie trainer with little to no knowledge about Pokemon or battles so she was so nervous in first contests that she made many mistakes, like slipped before her performance round and how she battle against Drew, or how she lost second time because of her overconfident.

While Dawn despite having more knowledge about Pokemons and battles she had different issues to overcome like she sometime had too much confidence and after losing twice in a row she lost all that and go through many things to regain it back.

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
Alright, let's talk about something more recent, episode 75 and 76 titles are revealed, I don't know If my opinion on them is controversial but still gonna say it here anyway.
For episode 75 : I hope Goh doesn't catch Darkrai.
For episode 76 : I hope Goh doesn't catch Cresselia.

Feel free to disagree with me.

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
Alright, let's talk about something more recent, episode 75 and 76 titles are revealed, I don't know If my opinion on them is controversial but still gonna say it here anyway.
For episode 75 : I hope Goh doesn't catch Darkrai.
For episode 76 : I hope Goh doesn't catch Cresselia.

Feel free to disagree with me.
Don't worry, I'm with you, though f its part of Project Mew where the team tells Goh he needs to collect like something like the Moltres feather Gary got, I'd be good.

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
Don't worry, I'm with you, though f its part of Project Mew where the team tells Goh he needs to collect like something like the Moltres feather Gary got, I'd be good.

I can see Goh being asked to collect a Lunar Wing from Cresselia but what he's gonna collect from Darkrai? Dark Void?

Pokemonfan5

Reaction score
I can see Goh being asked to collect a Lunar Wing from Cresselia but what he's gonna collect from Darkrai? Dark Void?
Ash and Go maybe encounter Darkrai as well in their trial, probably they will encounter Darkrai first who is causing nightmare to the townspeople like in DP than they will search for Cresselia for lunar wing and ask her help to get rid off Darkrai.

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
Ash and Go maybe encounter Darkrai as well in their trial, probably they will encounter Darkrai first who is causing nightmare to the townspeople like in DP than they will search for Cresselia for lunar wing and ask her help to get rid off Darkrai.

An evil Darkrai once again? Well hear me out on this one, I'm not sure If it's controversial but I'd rather see a Darkrai in anime like how it was in movie, misunderstood hero basically, aside from movie and I believe Pokemon Ranger Manga, Darkrai was always depicted as evil, and that kind of sucks but that's only me probably.

KenzeyEevee

Be kind and change the world!
Reaction score
Koharu and Satoshi dont have a Chemistry or anything at all. They dont even feel like friends.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Why wasn't the Battle Frontier located in the Sevii Islands in the anime? Would've been a great way to promote the Kanto remakes and been more interesting than traveling through Kanto again.
And I just realized: there even were seven islands, one for each facility. What the heck?! Seems so obvious!

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Okay, so I'm just gonna go ahead and say it... The first season is overrated. Like, REALLY overrated. And it's not just that I think, "oh people kinda make a big deal out of it, but in reality it's pretty mediocre", no, I straight up think that it's BAD. Like, REALLY bad. EASILY the worst season. It's a miracle it was successful enough for them to make more.
What do you think was so bad about them?

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Everything and everyone in Kanto feel like they cater specifically towards Ash.
Hardly. Ash makes numerous failures, including losing the Indigo League because he had spent his time goofing off rather than training his Pokémon. He hardly seemed like someone who got everything handed to him on a silver platter.
Here, Ash, have this Bulbasaur that protects a village of sick Pokemon and leave them defenseless, but it's okay because they want you to have it. Why do they want you to have it? Don't worry about thaf.
That's what's called Early Installment Weirdness. Early writing quirks that got ironed out over time. Like the fact that Melony was a psychopath for setting up potentially lethal traps, like a collapsing bridge.
Oh, what's that, Ash? You found Blayne's secret gym? Congratulations, your prize is a free stay in Blayne's secret 5 star hotel that only you can stay in. Why are the gym and hotel secret, and how does Blayne make money? Don't worry about it. It's like what people hate about Goh nowdays but with Ash.
Blaine's hotel is not a secret, just not that well known. And his Gym being a secret is explained in the episode: Blaine got tired of battling tourists and set up a secret Gym for Trainers who want to have a true Gym battle. Also, he didn't win a stay at the hotel because of finding the Gym. He found the inn first. Plus, him having a hotel is kind of an example of Hypocritical Humor: Blaine blames tourism for ruining the island, yet he runs a hotel himself. It's even pointed out by Misty.
And it's not like Ash is a good trainer or something. He's an unbearably stupid and incompetent trainer and person as a whole, even for a newbie, and it physically hurts to see him do anything. He's not a Gary Sue himself, but all of the characters treat him like one anyway.
He's just as incompetent in the first season as you'd expect a newbie to be. I don't see it being over the top, even for his lack of experience at that point. And at which point is Ash treated as a Gary Stu by others? I don't see that myself.
But like, my biggest complaint about that season is that there's filler within filler. Episodes feel like they simply don't have enough substance so the writers had to smear their concepts over 20 minutes. I'm convinced that's the only reason Jigglypuff exists, by the way. (The character, not the species as a whole) It's just impossible to get through an episode.
First season's fillers are actually classics and hardly ever boring. In the Orange Archipelago and Johto, though... Yeah. Those seasons had loads of bad filler. And yeah, I'll agree with you on Jigglypuff being used for nothing by meaningless filler material for 99% of the time. But overall, like I said, most of Kanto's fillers were actually entertaining and even contained loads of worldbuilding (like how can people who can't compete for Badges get a chance to compete in the Pokémon League, how Gyms are approved, and so on).

Top Bottom