• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

Pokemonfan5

Reaction score
Again can you stick with main topic of Ash and Kukui strength rather than dragging unnecessary arguments which isn't related

Ghost Diplocaulus

Detroit SMAAAASH! Eevee style.
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
This is honestly why I kinda don't want Ash to win against Leon. I think I mentioned this before but with how shallow both Ash and his whole team has been this series, if he were to end up winning, said win would feel extra shallow and un-deserved.

I want to cheer on a team who's pushed themselves to the limits and shown their full capabilities like in the past, not a library of background fodder who only shows up for a small cameo before disappearing for what feels like the next 849 weeks.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but... a version of Journeys anime with Lucario being treated the same way as Infernape and Greninja were during their sagas (even if it did result on someone becoming a "Torterra" in turn) would be a million times better than what we're actually currently getting. I mean, yeah, those two were shilled like crazy, but they had cool battles, their stories had stakes and were genuinely emotionally engaging, and most of the rest of their teammates still got to make meaningful contributions and had fleshed-out personalities. Here? Literally nobody is doing anything. How is that even possible? I can't believe I'm watching a version of the Pokemon anime where literally everybody is being neglected except for Ash's Pikachu. And even Pikachu isn't really doing anything particularly notable.

Unireon

僕の心は 君のもの
Reaction score
Again can you stick with main topic of Ash and Kukui strength rather than dragging unnecessary arguments which isn't related
It's not a matter of strength.
But the way everything leading to that moment was written, I didn't like the League for the two reasons I mentioned.

The controversy over having him win this instead of Kalos/Sinnoh is just too troublesome and annoying that it's more fuel to the fire.

Pokemonfan5

Reaction score
It's not a matter of strength.
But the way everything leading to that moment was written, I didn't like the League for the two reasons I mentioned.

The controversy over having him win this instead of Kalos/Sinnoh is just too troublesome and annoying that it's more fuel to the fire.
Except Ash Vs Paul Ash Vs Kukui+Tapu Koko had much more build up and way more emotions, also best animated battle than other battle, which other league had better ending? Ash literally beat all the opponents, win league and become champion, beat an in game Champion that's literally much better ending of league and Ash character in series, Sinnoh league could've better ending if Tobias didn't exist and Ash beat Paul in final instead quarter finals.

This battle had soooooo much meaning and shown how much Ash character has grown in SM, he not only grow more as a person but become even more powerful than before.

I'm still asking don't divert the topic, if you think both Ash and Kukui+Tapu Koko is truly Champion level than I don't think we should argue.

Unireon

僕の心は 君のもの
Reaction score
I don't want to argue either, it's more troubling than worth.

To continue on my earlier post about Dawn's Pokémon Coordinator career being handled better than May's career
Well, they had two Contests Arcs, Hoenn and Kanto, to experiment and polish the writing.
Hikari's Story was the result of them improving how they handled Contests.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but... a version of Journeys anime with Lucario being treated the same way as Infernape and Greninja were during their sagas (even if it did result on someone becoming a "Torterra" in turn) would be a million times better than what we're actually currently getting. I mean, yeah, those two were shilled like crazy, but they had cool battles, their stories had stakes and were genuinely emotionally engaging, and most of the rest of their teammates still got to make meaningful contributions and had fleshed-out personalities. Here? Literally nobody is doing anything. How is that even possible? I can't believe I'm watching a version of the Pokemon anime where literally everybody is being neglected except for Ash's Pikachu. And even Pikachu isn't really doing anything particularly notable.
At this point I am so done with Lucario, being rushed didn't make it any favours.....
That, now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind if they bring Gekkouga back, and shill it to the max, at all.
Of course the same applies to Jukain or Waruvial, even I would like if they turn this series into a Dodatoise redemption plot.
All of them can return and bench the current team.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Well, they had two Contests Arcs, Hoenn and Kanto, to experiment and polish the writing.
Hikari's Story was the result of them improving how they handled Contests.
Yeah. I admit that's true. They made Dawn more flawed than May to foster better character development and make her seem more human.

Besides, I wanted him to win in Kalos and the way he won in Alola didn't feel that gratifying.
I'm so tired of hearing people say Ash's Alola League victory doesn't feel as satisfying as Kalos League would have felt.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I thought the trade off was supposed to be
Go: Quantity over quality
Ash: Quality over quantity
When it comes to Pokémon. They left Ash with none. Other users have beautifully illustrated the reasons as to why. And before someone tells me quality is subjective: the team cohesiveness has definitely taken a nosedive from previous series.

Unireon

僕の心は 君のもの
Reaction score
I'm so tired of hearing people say Ash's Alola League victory doesn't feel as satisfying as Kalos League would have felt.
I blame the writers for this one.
The Alola League could have been better.
I'd said enough about why I feel that.

And I'm tired of that conflict, he won and that's all.

I thought the trade off was supposed to be
Go: Quantity over quality
Ash: Quality over quantity
When it comes to Pokémon. They left Ash with none. Other users have beautifully illustrated the reasons as to why.
Now he is just a glorified cameo, better drop him already.

Pokemonfan5

Reaction score
I think it would have caused an even worse debate.
Yeah Ash first time Leave region as total winner a champion instead of losing for whatever reason.

Him winning the league than immediately lost everything in one day would've make worst impact on pokemon community who was waiting for this for very long time, while also considering how much the rivalry has build up for Incineroar and Tapu Koko, all would've been wasted if it didn't get a conclusion.

Last edited:

Enzo

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
It's really rather upsetting that Journeys has yet to give me a single reason to be interested in this team. They've barely interacted, despite living in the same area and having unique and different personalities, and they don't even feel like they've formed a bond with Ash. I can't imagine a single one of them interacting with the other pokemon on Ash's team, sans maybe Dragonite and Lucario and MAYBE Sir'fetched. But they just show up so rarely it's a miracle that anyone remembers they're a team at all. I keep forgetting Ash has a Dracovish. Normally I forget Ash has certain pokemon when trying to remember them all at once, but I just can't remember Dracovish PERIOD. They feel much more like strangers rather than a cohesive team. It definitely says something that I can actually remember Ash's Kanto team having far more interactions than this one, back in a time period when few pokemon were given proper character arcs sans Chu and Zard.
There's this bizarre thing where Ash's JN team doesn't feels like an actual team and rather like these bunch of dudes that just happen to have the same trainer.

I don't feel this sense of ''family'' and friendship I've felt in any of the other series. Hell, I never in a billion years thought I would actually say this, but by watching this sad excuse of a ''team'', I actually miss Oshawott stealing food from Pignite. Even that was better.

Jewel the Quaxly

Duckies! :3
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
but by watching this sad escuse of a ''team''
It ESPECIALLY sucks coming right after the team with arguably the closest interactions in the entire series. Rowlet had a cute relationship with Melmetal, Naganadel had a cute relationship with Pikachu, Inceneroar and Lycanroc had their fun little rivalry/friendship...I have at LEAST ten different images of this time cuddling and interacting together ALONE. They all trained together to help Rockruff, they supported Litten when Stoutland passed away, Rowlet tried to protect Pikachu, Pikachu repeatedly rallied them all together, they all followed Ash around at the school when he was feeling down after Rotom left...they've battled together, eaten together, played together, and even had an episode where they showed off how dorkish all of them were together.

Going from all of THIS:
tumblr_pt7kqamvk21vc2llto1_1280.png
tumblr_695a11b64a9fa66fb59e20cbd9fe4262_9c29a382_540.gif
tumblr_p7sqpbfvwk1vvuksdo1_540.jpg
tumblr_otuff4imgK1wrvamoo1_1280.jpeg

To just THIS:
1200px-Ash_and_Goh.png

-has got to be the most saddest thing I've ever seen. All the pokemon in the image above have BARELY interacted!

Attachments

• tumblr_p46r79EcBD1tpvtc4o1_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p46r79EcBD1tpvtc4o1_r1_1280.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 32

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now he is just a glorified cameo, better drop him already.

Calling Ash a glorified cameo is beyond ridiculous. This is one reason why I can't really take these complaints on the screentime seriously. He is not treated nearly as much of an afterthought within the series as fans make it out to be.

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
SM is great when it comes to Pokemon interaction, though I'd also like to add to all of this, XY. I mean I remember when new members of the team were added, sometimes we'd get moments where Ash, Serena, and Clemont let out all their Pokemon to meet the new team member and we'd see them interact. I mean we had stuff such as Chespin and Pancham, along with Hawlucha and Noivern. Now the Pokemon barely interact. DP even did this at times, like I remember when Buizel was caught, he was introduced to the team and immediately began butting heads with some of the other Pokemon. Scraggy in BW even had this happen.

Pokemonfan5

Reaction score
It ESPECIALLY sucks coming right after the team with arguably the closest interactions in the entire series. Rowlet had a cute relationship with Melmetal, Naganadel had a cute relationship with Pikachu, Inceneroar and Lycanroc had their fun little rivalry/friendship...I have at LEAST ten different images of this time cuddling and interacting together ALONE. They all trained together to help Rockruff, they supported Litten when Stoutland passed away, Rowlet tried to protect Pikachu, Pikachu repeatedly rallied them all together, they all followed Ash around at the school when he was feeling down after Rotom left...they've battled together, eaten together, played together, and even had an episode where they showed off how dorkish all of them were together.

Going from all of THIS:

To just THIS:
View attachment 146587

-has got to be the most saddest thing I've ever seen. All the pokemon in the image above have BARELY interacted!
Yeah SM literally best when it comes to show Pokemon personality even after they fully evolved and interaction, all of Ash's Alolan team had special bond with another member, they stay outside pokeballs almost all the time to either play or training together.

JN had almost same thing as Ash Pokemons spending their time outside pokeballs in ceries park but they still rarely appeared and doesn't have any good interaction, it's like they're all reserved Pokemons like Snorlax who only show up when Ash need them.

I have no doubt that JN team is going to surpass all past teams in terms of strength but they're lacking in everything else.

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
Do his JN pokemon even have a dynamic together??
They literally don't. I've never seen any interesting interactions between any of them. The opening originally made it seem like Riolu and G-Farfetch'd would be sparring partners and could have had a rivalry, but that never happened. They don't even interact. None of Ash's Journeys Pokemon interact with each other and its disappointing. Between Ash and Goh, we used to have Lucario and Cinderace but both have been shoved out of focus.

Top Bottom