• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

Pokemonfan5

Reaction score
I've said before the problem with Kukui is that his status as "great trainer" is only hinted at. As Royal Mask he didn't have any noteworthy challenges, and as Kukui his only strong opponents were a Kommo-o (which we never saw being defeated) and Mega Aggron (which was Team Rocket's, which we now know are pathethic). So it felt a bit presumptuous when he made himself the prize for winning the league.
That mega Aggron is from an Elite trainer not some grunts, like how Lysandre is way more powerful than his grunts who can't beat same TR trio, Kukui shown more powerful than any trainer Ash defeated in his life even without Tapu Koko, he clearly shown his strength is same as in games, Kukui is just like Ash who want to battle strong opponents, it's not like he demand champion title if he win, his dream was to make a Pokemon league in Alola which is fulfilled.

On top of that Tapu Koko is exactly same as his game counterpart, he was beyond champion challenge in both games and anime, so it's more than enough to prove Ash had defeated a champion level trainer and he is more powerful than some other champions, he seriously beat a guardian deity along with one of the most powerful z move in Pokemon universe.

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
But then you have to ask, "who caught Mimey?" Y'know, assuming it was caught to begin with.

Delia's not a Trainer as far as we know, so there's no reason for her to have any Poke Balls on hand. So Ash had to do it.
Who said only trainers who battle can catch Pokémon? She could buy/borrow a Pokeball from Oak and no one could stop her. It’s not as if she’s underage like Bonnie or Max.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I distinctly remember people who claim Mr. Mime is Ash's pointing out that he doesn’t have psychic and fairy types before this entire debacle happened. I think that, itself is a testament to how consulted convoluted (I hate my autocorrect xD) this retcon is.

Last edited:

Jewel the Quaxly

Duckies! :3
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
But then you have to ask, "who caught Mimey?" Y'know, assuming it was caught to begin with.

Delia's not a Trainer as far as we know, so there's no reason for her to have any Poke Balls on hand. So Ash had to do it.
Wait! Wasn't it said in Mimey's introduction episode that Ash caught him then gave him to Delia? Or am I remembering wrong? :unsure:

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wait! Wasn't it said in Mimey's introduction episode that Ash caught him then gave him to Delia? Or am I remembering wrong? :unsure:

They never said that Mr. Mime was caught at all during its debut episode, let alone that Ash caught it and gave it to his mother. Mr. Mime bonded with Delia after she fed it, thinking that it was Ash in a Mr. Mime costume and it decided to stay with her at the end of the episode. There was nothing to imply or confirm that anyone had caught it.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
They never said that Mr. Mime was caught at all during its debut episode, let alone that Ash caught it and gave it to his mother. Mr. Mime bonded with Delia after she fed it, thinking that it was Ash in a Mr. Mime costume and it decided to stay with her at the end of the episode. There was nothing to imply or confirm that anyone had caught it.
Even though I have no problem with Ash owning Mr. Mime, I must say that Mimey's attitude towards Ash in season 1 definitely didn't hint towards him being its Trainer. In one episode, Delia even says Mimey only listens to her.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even though I have no problem with Ash owning Mr. Mime, I must say that Mimey's attitude towards Ash in season 1 definitely didn't hint towards him being its Trainer. In one episode, Delia even says Mimey only listens to her.

Nothing about Mr. Mime hints at Ash being its trainer. They've barely interacted for over twenty years and the audience is supposed to believe that Ash caught it for his mother, despite how she could have caught it herself or just have Mr. Mime choose to live with Delia without being caught. It's kind of amazing how the only thing that stands out to me about Mr. Mime at this point is how incredibly stupid and pointless this retcon is.

Galactic_V

Non-fictional character
Reaction score
Pronouns
Nothing about Mr. Mime hints at Ash being its trainer. They've barely interacted for over twenty years and the audience is supposed to believe that Ash caught it for his mother, despite how she could have caught it herself or just have Mr. Mime choose to live with Delia without being caught. It's kind of amazing how the only thing that stands out to me about Mr. Mime at this point is how incredibly stupid and pointless this retcon is.
Idk, I agree that this came out of the blue, but at least Satoshi got a new Pokemon (sorta-kinda)? By itself I don't think it's that negative. My main problem with Barrierd now is its personality retcon (as in how it's currently portrayed in the same fashion as Detective Pikachu's Barrierd), although it's been weeks since I've watched a single PM 2019 episode, so I have no idea if they're still doing it.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Idk, I agree that this came out of the blue, but at least Satoshi got a new Pokemon (sorta-kinda)? By itself I don't think it's that negative. My main problem with Barrierd now is its personality retcon (as in how it's currently portrayed in the same fashion as Detective Pikachu's Barrierd), although it's been weeks since I've watched a single PM 2019 episode, so I have no idea if they're still doing it.

I don't think Ash kind of getting a new Pokemon out of this retcon is really that good. Outside of the Hoenn episode early on in the series and the Pikachu running away back to Pallet Town, has Mr. Mime done anything in Journeys? The retcon would still be bad regardless, but if Mr. Mime had actual presence beyond its gag or did anything noteworthy, maybe it would be easier for me to see the positive aspects of the decision. As it is, the retcon just seems so bad, poorly handled and all around pointless. It's been ages since Mr. Mime has appeared, but as far as I'm aware, it does still has its retcon personality. I'm not a big fan of that myself, but the notion that Ash had caught it way back in the original series and never attempted to use it until this series still annoys me so much whenever I remember that retcon.

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
Alright, time to say my unpopular opinion over new episode preview 74,75

1. I'm more hyped about Darkrai and Cresselia over Dawn's return.
2. I'd rather to see Team Galactic (or at least remaining peoples who works for it) than TR Matori.
3. We need a good Darkrai (outside of Movie 10) since it always appeared as evil in anime or was just... there (That XY filler, If you know what I'm talking about)
4. If Dawn evolved one of her Pokemons, it should be Buneary rather than her Quilava.

These are my opinions/expectations, feel free to disagree with me.

Alola

UltraMysteryDungeon, when?
Reaction score
I feel like Journeys should have given Ash and Mr. Mime a flashback of some sort, detailing Ash explicitly catching the thing. A bit sad his first Psychic and Fairy-type Pokémon is one surrounded by such controversy as to its actual ownership, Twitter comments aside.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
3. We need a good Darkrai (outside of Movie 10) since it always appeared as evil in anime or was just... there (That XY filler, If you know what I'm talking about)
Based on the trailer, it seems to me like Cresselia is using Lunar Dance to heal Darkrai. So you may get your wish.
4. If Dawn evolved one of her Pokemons, it should be Buneary rather than her Quilava.
Typhlosion has been criminally underrepresented in the anime. Her Quilava deserves to evolve.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
While I would really love to see Dawn with a Typhlosion, I'd be okay with her getting a Lopunny. Despite being her first capture and frequently used during appeals, Buneary didn't really get much focus in DP. It didn't even learn a fourth move and evolving it could have easily happened given that it is friendship based. Out of the two, I'd prefer Typhlosion more and having both would be ideal, but I wouldn't be too upset if only Buneary evolved.

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
Typhlosion has been criminally underrepresented in the anime. Her Quilava deserves to evolve.
I can see where you're coming but I said that since anime is too afraid to feminine Pokemons (unless it belongs to a female trainer) yet still agree with you on this.

Emmy

Cam Girl~
Reaction score
So...the discussion over the past few days about "Pokémon in the Human world" versus "Humans in the Pokémon world" got me thinking and not gonna lie, I wish the anime had embraced the early instalment weirdness of there being normal animals in the world aside from Pokémon.

Hear me out. What's interesting about Pokémon is in the very name, they are Monsters that you keep in your Pocket. They can hold great power and the Professor asking you to record the ones you meet on your journey with the PokéDex holds more weight when there's a sense of mystery surrounding them - sure Caterpie might be a bottom barrel Pokémon but in comparison to the mundane insects in your backgarden it would still be impressive. But of course that sorta illusion was somewhat feasible back when there were only 150 but as the franchise keeps getting larger and more 'mons get introduced, the wonder of it got diluted down and they essentially supplanted everyday animals.

Just my two cents...

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
So...the discussion over the past few days about "Pokémon in the Human world" versus "Humans in the Pokémon world" got me thinking and not gonna lie, I wish the anime had embraced the early instalment weirdness of there being normal animals in the world aside from Pokémon.

Hear me out. What's interesting about Pokémon is in the very name, they are Monsters that you keep in your Pocket. They can hold great power and the Professor asking you to record the ones you meet on your journey with the PokéDex holds more weight when there's a sense of mystery surrounding them - sure Caterpie might be a bottom barrel Pokémon but in comparison to the mundane insects in your backgarden it would still be impressive. But of course that sorta illusion was somewhat feasible back when there were only 150 but as the franchise keeps getting larger and more 'mons get introduced, the wonder of it got diluted down and they essentially supplanted everyday animals.

Just my two cents...
I personally prefer to keep the real world and the Pokémon world separate.

P_S_B

Shiny hunter
Reaction score
Serena’s romance and feelings for Ash is the best thing to happen in the anime.
The antithesis of this is my controversial opinion.

EDIT: At least it was before the executive who demanded everything be episodic with minimal inter-episode consistentcy and few two-parters even if that meant episodes were actively ruined by being crammed into a single part came along. That's not a controversial opinion, it's just the current worst thing to ever happen to the anime.

Last edited:

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
In regards that no real world locations, animal, or people appear in the Pokémon world. I prefer to keep fantasy and reality separate. Makes the fantasy easier to enjoy for me. Things based on real life things, like region designs and culture, are okay, though.

Top Bottom