• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
In regards that no real world locations, animal, or people appear in the Pokémon world. I prefer to keep fantasy and reality separate. Makes the fantasy easier to enjoy for me. Things based on real life things, like region designs and culture, are okay, though.
Didn't they feature real animals on anime in early seasons? Or am I remember that wrong?

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
While the Saffron Gym arc can be considered classic, when put into context with the rest of season 1, it really doesn't make sense. In Showdown at Dark City, it was established that the Pokémon League approves whether a Gym is worthy of operating due to different reasons, and I fail to see why they'd let a person like Sabrina, who basically kidnaps people and runs her own cult, to be a Gym Leader.

The same applies, to a slightly lesser degree, on the Celadon Gym, where its Gym Trainers were guilty of abusing their authority by refusing a challenger's access to their Gym just because said challenger had mocked a product they manufactured. They had basically given an honest challenger the middle finger for a reason completely unrelated to their right to challenge Gyms. If that's not abusing authority, I don't know what is.

cjd1207

Reaction score
While the Saffron Gym arc can be considered classic, when put into context with the rest of season 1, it really doesn't make sense. In Showdown at Dark City, it was established that the Pokémon League approves whether a Gym is worthy of operating due to different reasons, and I fail to see why they'd let a person like Sabrina, who basically kidnaps people and runs her own cult, to be a Gym Leader.

The same applies, to a slightly lesser degree, on the Celadon Gym, where its Gym Trainers were guilty of abusing their authority by refusing a challenger's access to their Gym just because said challenger had mocked a product they manufactured. They had basically given an honest challenger the middle finger for a reason completely unrelated to their right to challenge Gyms. If that's not abusing authority, I don't know what is.
Don't forget Koga Gym having traps that can kill trainers and Blaines Gym being in a volcano. Man beside the first three gym leaders the Kanto Gym Leaders are kind of insane compared to every other region.

Jewel the Quaxly

Duckies! :3
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Speaking of Early Installment Weirdness...I actually always loved that craziness that came in the first season. It honestly felt like the series with the most world-building, yet at the same time, the world it was building was so wacky and out of there, it really solidifies how OS is really remembered well in people's hearts as the series that introduced them to Pokemon. As a first series, it did a pretty good job of establishing all the pokemon and the type of world it was, despite the constant contradictory practices.

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
Dunno about Controversial but I wish the Anime was like this :giggle:

20210706_170714.png
20210706_170718.jpg
20210706_170721.jpg
20210706_170723.jpg

Source here:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/87452895

J Bouken

Reaction score
Speaking of Early Installment Weirdness...I actually always loved that craziness that came in the first season. It honestly felt like the series with the most world-building, yet at the same time, the world it was building was so wacky and out of there, it really solidifies how OS is really remembered well in people's hearts as the series that introduced them to Pokemon. As a first series, it did a pretty good job of establishing all the pokemon and the type of world it was, despite the constant contradictory practices.

I still love it because it's cynical as hell. Shudo was a mad lad but he knew how to add a bit of darkness to the world without making it oppressive. I remember the school episode having an old student he kept failing and wouldn't quit because he might shame his family, studying alone because the other kids bullied him. He was shown just once. Or the first SS Anne episode where there three different examples of dubious people swindling others; Team Rocket tricking Ash and friends onto the boat, the Ratticate trainer sweet talking Ash into trading Butterfree, and then the Magikarp salesman. Maybe it's for the best Pokemon isn't like this anymore, but I've come to appreciate Shudo's version of the world which was far from the utopic one we have now and was full of weird and even outright bad people. It made the Pokemon world feel less black and white.

The scenarios were often outlandish and inconsistent, but they were super memorable.

prog rocker

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
I think it's partly because they didn't give free reign to Shudo. I know executive meddling can be annoying, but sometimes it's for the best...

Kanto Gym Leaders were really crazy, disturbed or lacked common sense.

This can be attributed to the Early Weirdness or Shudou's approach.
The games might have influenced this, too, considering things like Clair or Skyla's gyms.

EDIT: Or it could have been backwards... I just remembered Kanto had the least dangerous gyms in the series...

Enzo

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him

For all we know they did inspect the gym, but Sabrina brainwashed the agents into greenlighting her circus of horrors

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
Standard gym-quest or not, I still would've liked for Gloria to be part of the main cast. I can maybe understand why Selene was in Alola since the main cast was already pretty sizable, but what's Journey's excuse?
Because she wasn't in SwSh if you picked Victor.

May, Dawn, Lyra, and Serena all still had roles in the games even if you picked the Male protagonist to play as. They all appeared in the Anime

Leaf, Hilda, Rosa, Selene and Gloria we're didn't have any role if you played as the Male protagonist so they didn't appear in the Anime.

Kris (Marina) has been the only outliner so far. Even then that was only in a one-shot special that was completely unrelated to the rest of the series

Unireon

僕の心は 君のもの
Reaction score
The issue over which Player Character would appear.....

Unpopular opinion.
Despite loving Hikari and her being my favourite companion.....
I'd have loved if they introduced Kouki, or Shigeki to me, as well.