• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

And even after that, difference between their appearances is not that big if we compare first 79 episodes of each:
Seriously, why is appearance an issue? And anyway, the evidence you showed didn't help your case: the Kanto starters still factually have more appearances, and if you were talking about other pokemon, why didn't you compare them as well?

Also, that doesn't really say much about the teams themselves as the Kanto team still interacted with each other ten times more than the Journeys team, which is the real issue people have with the pokemon.

Seriously, why is appearance an issue? And anyway, the evidence you showed didn't help your case: the Kanto starters still factually have more appearances, and if you were talking about other pokemon, why didn't you compare them as well?

Also, that doesn't really say much about the teams themselves as the Kanto team still interacted with each other ten times more than the Journeys team, which is the real issue people have with the pokemon.
Adding onto their total appearances and interactions, the Kanto starters along with other starters and Pokemon on the main cast over the course of 6 generations had those specials that were included in movies, like Pikachu's Vacation. These continued until after XY. Then the movies shifted to AU focus rather than the current canon and stopped having those little Pokemon focused shorts. Even so, even without those SuMo still had a good amount of interaction going on between Pokemon and their trainers, as well as each other. Journeys has failed dramatically in this department.

Adding onto their total appearances and interactions, the Kanto starters along with other starters and Pokemon on the main cast over the course of 6 generations had those specials that were included in movies, like Pikachu's Vacation. These continued until after XY. Then the movies shifted to AU focus rather than the current canon and stopped having those little Pokemon focused shorts. Even so, even without those SuMo still had a good amount of interaction going on between Pokemon and their trainers, as well as each other. Journeys has failed dramatically in this department.
Not to mention the amount of episodes AKA screen time of Pokémon got cut from 190~ per series in AG and DP to 140~. That's approx 50 episodes, which is about a years worth of development time!
Journies seems like it's going to be around 120-130 episodes long due to lockdown hiatus sadly.

Last edited:
Ash losing to Cameron pissed me off way more than his defeat to Tobias.

I never really hated the introduction of Tobias, maybe because I was only like ten at the time, but I never got mad at the show for creating such a nuclear warhead, with no relevance to the plot, other than stopping Ash winning. That’s because it was so cool to see Ash best two legendaries, which countless trainers/gym-leaders were unable to do. It felt like Ash was acknowledged to be unique, and worthy of a high-ranking. I’m not saying Tobias wasn’t annoying, and a poor writing decision, but he’s still better than Cameron.

His loss to Cameron was much more of a middle-finger to me, because it demonstrates how pathetic Ash was.
The fact he lost to a complete idiot, who brings five Pokemon, and sends out Pokemon that have no chance of winning against severe type disadvantages, TWICE, and didn’t know you had to register at the reception, and that you had to have eight gym-badges, not seven, is a disgrace. Cameron was basically a longer version of Ritchie, Harrison and Tyson, mixed in with Morrison’s personality. He wasn’t a great character, and barely compared to Ash’s previous level of experience. It felt like an insult to make Ash lose to him, after all we’ve seen Ash do.
What makes it worse is the fact Cameron went on to lose 6-3 to Virgil. So, even if Ash won, he would have got stomped by Virgil, meaning Ash was utterly weak in the series.

I would rather lose in an honourable way than being shown to be a weak, useless trainer that gets beat by a total clown, in match where I had the advantage.

Ash losing to Cameron pissed me off way more than his defeat to Tobias.

I never really hated the introduction of Tobias, maybe because I was only like ten at the time, but I never got mad at the show for creating such a nuclear warhead, with no relevance to the plot, other than stopping Ash winning. That’s because it was so cool to see Ash best two legendaries, which countless trainers/gym-leaders were unable to do. It felt like Ash was acknowledged to be unique, and worthy of a high-ranking. I’m not saying Tobias wasn’t annoying, and a poor writing decision, but he’s still better than Cameron.

His loss to Cameron was much more of a middle-finger to me, because it demonstrates how pathetic Ash was.
The fact he lost to a complete idiot, who brings five Pokemon, and sends out Pokemon that have no chance of winning against severe type disadvantages, TWICE, and didn’t know you had to register at the reception, and that you had to have eight gym-badges, not seven, is a disgrace. Cameron was basically a longer version of Ritchie, Harrison and Tyson, mixed in with Morrison’s personality. He wasn’t a great character, and barely compared to Ash’s previous level of experience. It felt like an insult to make Ash lose to him, after all we’ve seen Ash do.
What makes it worse is the fact Cameron went on to lose 6-3 to Virgil. So, even if Ash won, he would have got stomped by Virgil, meaning Ash was utterly weak in the series.

I would rather lose in an honourable way than being shown to be a weak, useless trainer that gets beat by a total clown, in match where I had the advantage.
Yeah. I really thought the climax of the Unovan League would have been an Eeveelution battle, something Ash hadn't faced at that point; imagine if Ash had to deal with Wish passing, Baton Passing strategies as he tried hard to stop Virgil's team from setting up and sweeping. Albeit quite late with the introduction, Virgil was more interesting than Cameron was and had novelty, as Ash already had a climatic battle with a Lucario (and proceeded to have another afterwards). They could have also used Virgil as an introduction to the Fairy-type and Sylveon, for big-brain obvious marketing, with Ash being tripped up by a type and Pokémon he's never fought before being more credible regarding a loss than Lucario's Plot Armor.

Yeah. I really thought the climax of the Unovan League would have been an Eeveelution battle, something Ash hadn't faced at that point; imagine if Ash had to deal with Wish passing, Baton Passing strategies as he tried hard to stop Virgil's team from setting up and sweeping. Albeit quite late with the introduction, Virgil was more interesting than Cameron was and had novelty, as Ash already had a climatic battle with a Lucario (and proceeded to have another afterwards). They could have also used Virgil as an introduction to the Fairy-type and Sylveon, for big-brain obvious marketing, with Ash being tripped up by a type and Pokémon he's never fought before being more credible regarding a loss than Lucario's Plot Armor.
I was going to say that something like that has already been done with Harrison’s Blaziken sending Ash to Hoenn, but, who am I kidding, the anime has ripped off itself many times prior. And who’s to say they couldn’t do it better?

And because I despise this league, I should mention other things:

1) Scraggy’s involvement - Shown to knock out a Daramaka in a two second highlight, and was never used for the rest of the tournament. At least Oshawott, Boldore, Palpitoad, Leavanny, and Unfezaunt got an actual showcase!
This meant Scraggy was effectively carried around this entire time to contribute to nothing overall, making the Don George Fighting Arc pointless for its development, and everything else.

2) As listed above, barely any of Ash’s Pokemon got a mention. Scraggy barely had one, and then Oshawott, Unfezaunt, Boldore, Leavanny, Krookidile, Palpitoad and Snivy didn’t even get to have more than one, thanks to there being one “full-battle”. It’s annoying spending that much time with things that essentially do nothing after all that time in the biggest of events. Only Pikachu and Pignite did something worthwhile.

3) Ash only had three battles, one of which was a 1v1 that was horribly paced, and another that doesn’t even qualify for a 6v6, and you know my feeling towards that.

4) Stupid, boring, no development episode for Axew that killed the pacing.

5) Terrible fights. Trip and Cameron’s fights leave no impact and are either just plain dumb in terms of writing, or are dragged out with boring action.

Last edited:
I was going to say that something like that has already been done with Harrison’s Blaziken sending Ash to Hoenn, but, who am I kidding, the anime has ripped off itself many times prior. And who’s to say they couldn’t do it better?
Yeah, but they can only have Ash lose a League in so many ways, and someone somewhere is going to have a problem with it. Battles and battle elements are often redone throughout the entire series, so I wouldn't have too many qualms; I would take that over Ash being knocked out by a couple of Legendaries, Alain's plot armor, or losing to someone who has a smaller team. And that wouldn't be the entire factor - Virgil's whole team and his strategies would be something Ash could not handle, and therefore the meat of his loss; Sylveon is just the icing on the cake, really, and what gets viewers excited for Generation VI.

barely any of Ash’s Pokemon got a mention. Scraggy barely had one, and then Oshawott, Unfezaunt, Boldore, Leavanny, Krookidile, Palpitoad and Snivy didn’t even get to have more than one, thanks to there being one “full-battle”. It’s annoying spending that much time with things that essentially do nothing after all that time in the biggest of events. Only Pikachu and Pignite did something worthwhile.
And to make this point even worse, of that list, Krookodile is literally the only one who managed to get any wins while the rest were jobbers. Palpitoad did at least manage a tie, and Leavanny put up a good fight against Sawk, which mitigates their situation a bit, but the others were effectively given the middle finger: Boldore and Oshawott were fodder for Hydreigon, Unfezant was made an example of just so the writers could rub it in our faces how powerful Cameron's Riolu was, and Snivy was the victim of an Evolution Ex Machina.

Actually, another moment in the anime that annoyed me was May vs Solidad. It’s not bad…wait, how would I know? They cut the battle in pieces! I seriously do not understand why they did that.

When I rewatched the episode, the battle was shown to be roughly two minutes - they jump into the battle when May has around a quarter of her points left. Then, Solidad uses like three moves, and that’s it. It’s barely even a battle; May lands one hit in the time we see her battle!
I mean, they build up Solidad’s character to be effectively Drew’s ultimate obstacle, giving him his first ever loss, then reduce her to just beating the crap out of May. It’s not like there was an episode dedicated towards their battle, it’s just Drew saying “Let me tell you, you cannot beat Solidad with brute force”, then May proceeds to just spam attack after attack, according to Scott at least.
What makes it even stranger was that it was straight after May’s victory against Drew. No next episode, no build-up, just threw her into it, ruining the moment. It’s like Ash beating Paul, then immediately losing to Tobias. I think that would ruin the emotional feeling, as well as making people pissed off and downer about the thing. Imagine saying the final act/episode between Ash v Paul was bad, thanks to Tobias crushing the league in the same showcase. It’s horribly paced, and feels like the show thought May’s journey is completely irrelevant - “Well, there you go! She beat Drew! Time to move on to other things!”.

Like, I get it’s to show May is still inexperienced, after all it’s her first full journey, and second Grand Festival, and it’s in line with OS Ash if he beat Ritchie (I couldn’t see OS Ash doing well in a 6v6 with his decision making and reliance on Misty and Brock throughout the Indigo League), but still. Why spend all that time if it’s going to be thrown out the window?

Last edited:
Ash's Unova team, besides Krookodile and Pignite, has literally the worst league performance out of any team. It doesn't help at all that they only had time for 3 battles total, which wasn't enough considering Ash had 10 Pokemon total for Unova....And its ridiculous that they only had 3 battles considering they easily could have had him have a full battle against Virgil andthey wasted one episode for a pointless filler.

Controversial opinion incoming:

I 100% think that Unfezant shouldn't have been used to demonstrate how that stupid Riolu was op, but at least I'm not as mad because keep in mind she a Normal and Flying type, so she doesn't resists Fighting: it's only neutral damage. It's actually kinda funny really: Ash's only true resistance for Fighting in Unova was Leavanny due to it's Bug typing. So while I hate it, it's no something absurd for her to not tank the hits that well.

Yes, I do wish she had taken that f* Riolu out herself, or at least softened it up enough for Snivy to put it out of comission, but alas, the plot armor had to kick in...

Actually, another moment in the anime that annoyed me was May vs Solidad. It’s not bad…wait, how would I know? They cut the battle in pieces! I seriously do not understand why they did that.

When I rewatched the episode, the battle was shown to be roughly two minutes - they jump into the battle when May has around a quarter of her points left. Then, Solidad uses like three moves, and that’s it. It’s barely even a battle; May lands one hit in the time we see her battle!
I mean, they build up Solidad’s character to be effectively Drew’s ultimate obstacle, giving him his first ever loss, then reduce her to just beating the crap out of May. It’s not like there was an episode dedicated towards their battle, it’s just Drew saying “Let me tell you, you cannot beat Solidad with brute force”, then May proceeds to just spam attack after attack, according to Scott at least.
What makes it even stranger was that it was straight after May’s victory against Drew. No next episode, no build-up, just threw her into it, ruining the moment. It’s like Ash beating Paul, then immediately losing to Tobias. I think that would ruin the emotional feeling, as well as making people pissed off and downer about the thing. Imagine saying the final act/episode between Ash v Paul was bad, thanks to Tobias crushing the league in the same showcase. It’s horribly paced, and feels like the show thought May’s journey is completely irrelevant - “Well, there you go! She beat Drew! Time to move on to other things!”.

Like, I get it’s to show May is still inexperienced, after all it’s her first full journey, and second Grand Festival, and it’s in line with OS Ash if he beat Ritchie (I couldn’t see OS Ash doing well in a 6v6 with his decision making and reliance on Misty and Brock throughout the Indigo League), but still. Why spend all that time if it’s going to be thrown out the window?
Well, sadly it's because the Kanto Grand Festival was never about May winning the thing - it was an excuse for May to finally defeat Drew before her saga ended; a vehicle to show just how far she came over her main rival, who completely trounced her in basically every Contest they faced off in since that intiial Slateport fight. Mind you, I love the Kanto Grand Festival May Vs. Drew fight - I thought it was excellent and it is one of my favorite anime battles! But, again, that battle was the pinnacle. It was also during the time where protagonists were absolutely not allowed to win that decisively (clearly times are a bit different now, what with Ash winning the Alolan League & defeating Kukui along with Tapu Koko; Iris is a regional Champion), and with Solidad having been introduced as basically a prodigy, she was what they used to knock May out of the running. Still is upsetting though, I agree - especially as Solidad exclusively used Kantonian Pokémon, who weren't featured too often as Contest opponents. I really liked the flaming Feather Dance Pidgeot did, for example, and would have loved to see what exactly made Solidad so reputably strong. It also would have been fair, given that Ash was allowed to challenge Brandon a whopping three times, with several episodes dedicated to those battles. As you said, the least they could have done for May was give her the entire "five" minutes or so to lose to Solidad, rather than stills and a sped-through battle. Even May's choice of Pokémon seemed a bit arbitrary as Combusken and Munchlax have barely any synergy together with their movesets (at the time), in my opinion.

The Solidad battle was there to give May a quick reason to lose and second judge her style as a coordinator, it was never meant to be more than that which is why it was done in a 2 minute montage. May’s arc climaxed when she beat Drew so that was the end of it, and Solidad was just to prevent her from winning the whole thing. I also liked how short it was because it drove the point home how outmatched May was and it wouldn’t feel that way if it was a full episode.

The Solidad battle was there to give May a quick reason to lose and second judge her style as a coordinator, it was never meant to be more than that which is why it was done in a 2 minute montage. May’s arc climaxed when she beat Drew so that was the end of it, and Solidad was just to prevent her from winning the whole thing. I also liked how short it was because it drove the point home how outmatched May was and it wouldn’t feel that way if it was a full episode.
I get that, but it feels wrong just to disregard May’s eventual goal. It’s not like it’s to beat Drew, it’s to win the entire thing. It kind of feels redundant to make a character seemingly be all about beating one character, rather than something much, much bigger.
I mean, the anime has shown good episodes dedicated to showing Ash lose - Ash v Bea was a good example, where Ash was completely outdone in every physical department, and all of his counters were crushed. Hell, Paul v Cynthia and Brandon were excellent as well.
Here, it would have been nice to at least show May trying various things and getting desperate, to reinforce that. I understand your reasoning though, cause it makes sense, it’s just I would prefer an angle where all of her hard-work would be at least appreciated enough to demonstrate her endeavour to win, not just completely blow her off.

The Eeveelution trainer who randomly showed up, joined the league, yet never got a battle with Ash, despite being teased as a league rival. I nean he was introduced much similarly to characters like Harrison and Tyson.
I investigated...

It seems that I applied my filter and pretended that he never existed.

I only do that with cretin/jerk-characters...
But something about him ticked it.

Controversial opinion incoming:

I 100% think that Unfezant shouldn't have been used to demonstrate how that stupid Riolu was op, but at least I'm not as mad because keep in mind she a Normal and Flying type, so she doesn't resists Fighting: it's only neutral damage. It's actually kinda funny really: Ash's only true resistance for Fighting in Unova was Leavanny due to it's Bug typing. So while I hate it, it's no something absurd for her to not tank the hits that well.

Yes, I do wish she had taken that f* Riolu out herself, or at least softened it up enough for Snivy to put it out of comission, but alas, the plot armor had to kick in...
tbh, the fact that Riolu managed to conveniently dodge every attack that Unfezant threw at it gives me the impression that had that not been the case, Unfezant would have either trounced Riolu outright or at the very least added just enough damage to the equation that Snivy or Pikachu would have finished it off regardless of the Evolution Ex Machina kicking in. I mean, Riolu's win over Unfezant is already annoying enough as it is, but it honestly would have been a million times worse if Unfezant had actually caused some damage, since it'd just add to Riolu's ridiculous OP-ness due to conveniently being able to tank multiple super-effective hits.

Back
Top Bottom