• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

The scans confirmed Ash vs Bea is 3 on 3 so whoever feared Hyper class was going back to 1 on 1 battles was wrong. They already confirmed every match in this class would be 3 on 3 in the Volkner ep too. Hopefully we get at least 3 more characters in Hyper Class after Bea.

I assume the next match is whoever Gengar Gigantamax’s against; maybe Allister or Sabrina will be Ash’s next opponent.

Honestly, the events that have occurred and have been revealed over the last week (mainly today) have disgusted me. I hate how Ash is given a Mega, G-Max, and the Nuke all within the span of ten episodes, it’s a ploy. I could write a 30 page essay on how the Pokémon anime is so deeply in shit that it may be best to cancel it and start from scratch.
That seems like a pretty huge overreaction. Even if it was accurate to say that he got these "gimmicks" recently, claiming that it would be better to start the anime from scratch as a result just sounds so strange to me. It's even more confusing given that he's had a Dynamax Band and Z-Moves for quite some time. He used Z-Moves throughout SM and got a Dynamax band and by extension the ability to make Pikachu Gigtamax when he first met Leon at the beginning of Journeys. Mega Evolution is the only thing that has been given to him recently, so I don't understand where this idea that they gave Ash a Mega Pokemon, Gigamatax and Z-Moves within the span of ten episodes came from.

I don't mind Goh getting all 3 starters, and I'd rather Ash only caight old-gen Pokemon in this series.

I’m glad they’re not dragging out some long arc with Lucario struggling to Mega evolve. Korrina’s spanned 4 episodes prior to the Gym but we’ve seen not every Pokémon reacts the same way like that such as the Nurse Joy’s Audino from XY.

It’d be like saying that every Charizard should disobey it’s trainer when it evolved just because Ash’s did, but we know most other people’s Charmeleon’s don’t do that. Besides that I don’t think I could tolerate 5+ episodes of Ash’s Lucario brooding and having to sit through him and Ash being depressed or fighting each other; lol. :p

I’m glad they’re not dragging out some long arc with Lucario struggling to Mega evolve. Korrina’s spanned 4 episodes prior to the Gym but we’ve seen not every Pokémon reacts the same way like that such as the Nurse Joy’s Audino from XY.

It’d be like saying that every Charizard should disobey it’s trainer when it evolved just because Ash’s did, but we know most other people’s Charmeleon’s don’t do that. Besides that I don’t think I could tolerate 5+ episodes of Ash’s Lucario brooding and having to sit through him and Ash being depressed or fighting each other; lol. :p
For a Pokémon that has received almost zero development in recent memory, a Mega Evolution should lead to some sort of development, no? Or are we just turning Ash into someone who gets literally everything with no problems?

Controversial opinion: I don’t really care about Ash having a Lucario. It getting a Mega Evolution just incited a reaction of "Meh, of course."
In some other series, it would be something Lucario works towards with some struggle. But in JN it literally feels like ticking off an item on the checklist due to the entire situation.
I think they should've given Ash a Mega Charizard Y in XY. (Or given him the X form, and Alain the Y variant due to my own preferences).

Aside from Volkner, I don't think we've had any other three-on-three matches in the PWC. If we had more three-on-three from the start, that would have potentially improved the PWC for me. I can understand wanting every match to be a full battle when the PWC is supposed to be a big deal and having full battles would be a better indication of a trainer's strength than a one-on-one or two-on-two match would. However, I think that's a bit too much. As cool as the idea of a series full of six-on-six matches sounds, it wouldn't really work. I doubt that the writers have enough time and more importantly budget to make that many full battles look good. Given the rush pacing of Journeys, I don't think that they'd have the patience for multiple full battles. Plus, it would be better to save that for the end of the PWC to give it a more climatic finish.
But the problem is that if there aren't any full 6 Vs. 6 battles until AFTER the PWC, then what's the point of it at all? Trainers are trying their best to go up the ranks, but you can't do that well if you're limited to using half your team at most per battle. This is meant to be a big deal and not be another first time league like Alola.

Also why would it even be that hard for them to animate 3 full 6 Vs. 6 battles? The Top 8 will only have 3 fights max for Ash to take part in.

For a Pokémon that has received almost zero development in recent memory, a Mega Evolution should lead to some sort of development, no? Or are we just turning Ash into someone who gets literally everything with no problems?
It at least had a whole development arc as a Riolu and Lucario has been used in major battles recently like Volkner. As for the Mega evo does it really have to struggle when as far as we know Korrina’s Lucario was the only one to show this? As far as I remember every Mega evo we saw back in XY transformed with no problems besides that.

a whole development arc as a Riolu
It really didn't. A character arc is when a character changes in some form or another, usually by overcoming a specific flaw or challenge that leads to them transforming as a character. For instance, Pikachu changing in regards to his attitude and cowardice to a leader and someone who is really friendly.

Riolu went through no such thing. There weren't any real or notable changes that happened throughout the story. Goodra had more of a character arc than Riolu and his arc was extremely rushed.

But the problem is that if there aren't any full 6 Vs. 6 battles until AFTER the PWC, then what's the point of it at all? Trainers are trying their best to go up the ranks, but you can't do that well if you're limited to using half your team at most per battle. This is meant to be a big deal and not be another first time league like Alola.

Also why would it even be that hard for them to animate 3 full 6 Vs. 6 battles? The Top 8 will only have 3 fights max for Ash to take part in.
I was talking about how making every PWC a full battle would be difficult to manage, not just having three full battles. It wouldn't even be a matter of animating, but also being able to spend enough time to make the full battles not feel rushed. We're lucky to get a two parter every now and then because of how fast paced Journeys is, so I don't think that the series would have the patience for every match being a full battle.

I still feel like fans are making a bigger deal about the PWC than the series really does. It should ideally be a big deal since the winner becomes the new top trainer in the world, but the series doesn't really treat it like that. Ash has had more difficult Gym badge quests than the PWC and that shouldn't really be the case.

I still feel like fans are making a bigger deal about the PWC than the series really does. It should ideally be a big deal since the winner becomes the new top trainer in the world, but the series doesn't really treat it like that. Ash has had more difficult Gym badge quests than the PWC and that shouldn't really be the case.
Previous series has Ash beating the majority of the Gym leaders with unevolved starters and new captures till he gets strong around the tail end of the series and battling rookie rivals who just start their journey (Barry, Bianca. Tierno, Shota, Trip, Stephen, etc) with Paul being the only exception since he was on Ash’s level. I don’t see how any Gym quest previously was harder.

Most of the time Ash handicaps himself since he doesn’t use old Pokémon (and Pikachu’s power fluctuates so it can lose to weak Pokémon again) and he battles rookie rivals that he should have no business struggling against. Even in XY this happened until around the 8th Gym and when they tacked on Alan as a rival at the last minute.

Remember for the majority of XY Ash’s rivals were beginning trainers like Tierno and Shota. He had no challenge till the tail-end of the series. BW was even worse in that regard since Ash was struggling against rookies like Trip for no reason.

Previous series has Ash beating the majority of the Gym leaders with unevolved starters and new captures till he gets strong around the tail end of the series and battling rookie rivals who just start their journey (Barry, Bianca. Tierno, Shota, Trip, Stephen, etc) with Paul being the only exception since he was on Ash’s level. I don’t see how any Gym quest previously was harder.
I wasn't even really factoring in the rivals with that statement, especially when most of the examples you provided weren't really his main rivals and he defeated most of them on the first time too. I was thinking more about how Gym Leaders posed a bigger challenge than most of his PWC opponents have thus far. Sure, Ash is using new Pokemon against them, but I think that's a moot point. It doesn't change that most of the other series have made the Gym Leaders look opposing and difficult to defeat. It would be the same even if Ash didn't have a ton of reserve Pokemon he could use to crush every new set of Gym Leaders. Plus, most of Ash's teams are still strong before they fully evolve at the tail end of the series, so I don't think that's the only time where they're actually good or useful.

It's hard to make the PWC look like this big challenging tournament, at least for me, when most of Ash's opponents have been random one shot trainers who were defeated on or off screen in one-on-one battle. If they do make the battles going forward longer and only have him battle against noteworthy trainers, then that would be an improvement, but I don't know if that would be enough to make the PWC as a whole good when roughly half of the tournament has been so poorly handled. The way fans have put the PWC on a pedestal since it started definitely doesn't help matters either.

I wasn't even really factoring in the rivals with that statement, especially when most of the examples you provided weren't really his main rivals and he defeated most of them on the first time too. I was thinking more about how Gym Leaders posed a bigger challenge than most of his PWC opponents have thus far. Sure, Ash is using new Pokemon against them, but I think that's a moot point. It doesn't change that most of the other series have made the Gym Leaders look opposing and difficult to defeat. It would be the same even if Ash didn't have a ton of reserve Pokemon he could use to crush every new set of Gym Leaders. Plus, most of Ash's teams are still strong before they fully evolve at the tail end of the series, so I don't think that's the only time where they're actually good or useful.

It's hard to make the PWC look like this big challenging tournament, at least for me, when most of Ash's opponents have been random one shot trainers who were defeated on or off screen in one-on-one battle. If they do make the battles going forward longer and only have him battle against noteworthy trainers, then that would be an improvement, but I don't know if that would be enough to make the PWC as a whole good when roughly half of the tournament has been so poorly handled. The way fans have put the PWC on a pedestal since it started definitely doesn't help matters either.
Furthermore, his first Champion battle was a big curb-stomp in his favor with Dracovish meme'ing Iris' powerhouse Dragonite, and Haxorus getting pwned by Ash's Dragonite the moment Ash's Pokemon got motivated. All in one episode with Iris only getting to faint Dracovish after it already made her supposed powerhouse look like a joke.

When even the Champion fight is a borderline stomp in Ash's favor on the first try you can tell most of the tension in battles is gone. Like, at this point I doubt we'll see Ash struggle anymore except against Bea. Maybe one hiccup or two but it's clear that the writers have no intention of making this tournament live to the hype when it was first announced.

This is Satoshi we are talking about, not the over-pampered Gou.

When even the Champion fight is a borderline stomp in Ash's favor on the first try you can tell most of the tension in battles is gone. Like, at this point I doubt we'll see Ash struggle anymore except against Bea. Maybe one hiccup or two but it's clear that the writers have no intention of making this tournament live to the hype when it was first announced.
If Satoshi loses to Saito again, that thing will get dragged even longer that it should have been.

Furthermore, his first Champion battle was a big curb-stomp in his favor with Dracovish meme'ing Iris' powerhouse Dragonite, and Haxorus getting pwned by Ash's Dragonite the moment Ash's Pokemon got motivated. All in one episode with Iris only getting to faint Dracovish after it already made her supposed powerhouse look like a joke.

Because Iris is a recent champion and obviously nowhere as strong as the other older champions. Besides that her Dragonite no longer has unrealistic plot armor to ice attacks like it did against Dawn’s Mamoswine back in BW. 4x ice and being slammed to the ground should do it in.

Also the earlier 1 on 1’s were against regular trainers since there’s 1000 people competing, the Gym leaders were all in Super and Hyper class besides a few.

Because Iris is a recent champion and obviously nowhere as strong as the other older champions. Besides that her Dragonite no longer has unrealistic plot armor to ice attacks like it did against Dawn’s Mamoswine back in BW. 4x ice and being slammed to the ground should do it in.
That, and Ash's Dragonite did manage to land a few strong hits, including a Dragon Dance-boosted Dragon Claw, so it isn't too much of a stretch to assume that Iris's Dragonite was just damaged enough that a Fishious Rend+Ice Fang combo was able to finish him off. And that's all without factoring in the possible boost from Strong Jaw and the fact that Fishious Rend is currently the most broken move not belonging to a Legendary.

Besides that her Dragonite no longer has unrealistic plot armor to ice attacks like it did against Dawn’s Mamoswine back in BW. 4x ice and being slammed to the ground should do it in.
Because Ash's Dragonite received the plot armor for the battle. Dragonite is one of my favourite Ash Pokémon in JN (there isn’t much competition) but it should have lost.

And that's all without factoring in the possible boost from Strong Jaw and the fact that Fishious Rend is currently the most broken move not belonging to a Legendary.
I mean, if we're going full in-game stats, wouldn’t Iris' Dragonite receive less damage thanks to Multiscale for Dracovish's moves?

Back
Top Bottom