• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I fell that my ultimate problem with Dawn raising a Togepi tho is just because that was something that Misty had already done during Kanto and Johto. I understand your reasonings, but it's just that seeing another Togepi on the cast after having two sagas worth of content about it would've felt... redundant imo.

Yeah, seeing a Togepi actually battling and evolving would've been cool, and I definitely don't dislike Misty's Togepi/Togetic. But I can see why they skipped it and went straight to the final form. I still stand that a Togetic around the 3th-4th ribbon would've been the safest option all things considered: you get her making the bird feel earned with all the traning and evo, but you can get to Togekiss in a faster way that doesn't feels neither contrived or too rushed nor do you just make a ''''Misty's Togepi 2.0'''' so to speak.
I don't think it would have been redundant. Misty had Togepi for a large portion of the original series, but it didn't really do much. She didn't attempt to train it beyond one flashback, its only battle was a cheap way for Misty to defeat Pikachu and it spent the majority of the series just being a cute arm decoration. I honestly never had a problem with new characters catching Pokemon that other characters had already caught. It wouldn't have been Misty's Togepi 2.0 any more than May's Bulbasaur would have been Ash's Bulbasaur 2.0. As long as they make them distinct enough from what the other characters caught, then I don't see the problem. It would have been distinct enough just by the virtue of actually battling consistently, something Misty's Togepi never did. I remember some people really wanted Dawn to catch the Togepi from that filler episode too. I don't know if they would have done that, but having a more mischief kind of Togepi or something with a different personality than just cute baby would make it stand out too.

It still feels kind of weird to consider Dawn getting her own Togepi redundant when plenty of new fans at the time wouldn't have been familiar with Misty or her Togepi. Plus, they've never had a problem with giving May or Dawn starters that Ash already caught, so giving Dawn one of Misty's Pokemon wouldn't have been a problem either. Togetic around the middle of Dawn's Contest journey probably would have been fine. She could have just been trying to train Togetic for a Contest before it evolved and before Zoey could see it in action. I just generally prefer it when characters raise Pokemon from their base forms and being able to see a Togepi battle would honestly be pretty refreshing.

FelipePR

Reaction score
Misty had Togepi for a large portion of the original series, but it didn't really do much.

How not? Misty togepi certainly did a lot of baby stuff and trivial things like saying Togepi, moving around, waving its arms and smiling at the audience. And the baby Pokémon was the star of the show, when it was doing these things.

Last edited:

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
Another unpopular opinion

I never wanted Dawn to have a Cyndaquil in the first place

I always thought Chikorita would've been a way better fit for her

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How not? Misty togepi certainly did a lot of baby stuff and trivial things like saying Togepi, moving around, waving her arms and smiling at the audience. And the baby Pokémon was the star of the show, when he was doing these things.
Aside from being a cute baby that would get lost every now and then, Togepi didn't really have much of a role. They did try to make it more mysterious with Togepi learning Metronome, but that didn't really go anywhere. For a long time, they didn't think that Togepi knew any attacks and Misty didn't make any effort to teach it either.

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
It’s kinda funny how we all see Quilava as Dawn’s de facto Johto marketing when she already had two other pokemon that evolve from Johto representation in Mamoswine and Ambipom by then, both of which were better developed and contributed more to the story.

Yes, I understand that neither of them will make a casual fan shout “ohh, that one from Johto!” like Cyndaquil does, but it’s something to think about.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It’s kinda funny how we all see Quilava as Dawn’s de facto Johto marketing when she already had two other pokemon that evolve from Johto representation in Mamoswine and Ambipom by then, both of which were better developed and contributed more to the story.

Yes, I understand that neither of them will make a casual fan shout “ohh, that one from Johto!” like Cyndaquil does, but it’s something to think about.
I think it's because they were more ultimately there to tie in with the then newest generation. Ash only caught Aipom for his eventual trade with Dawn and because it could evolve into a new Pokemon. Dawn caught Swinub for the same reason. They still covered a bit of HG/SS promotion because they're evolution of second generation Pokemon, but by the time they were fully evolved, people would probably associate them more with D/P than with HG/SS.

Rainbow-Rain

Reaction score
This one is a really BIG controversial one. I dunno how many people will agree with me or not but....

I'm VERY wary of anyone who calls any of Ash's Female Traveling Companions (Misty, May, Dawn, Iris, Serena, Bonnie, Lana, Lillie, Lana, and Chloe) "Hot" or "Sexy" :sick:

Like what the Hell is wrong is you? I don't care if they're fictional or not, those are flippin CHILDREN!!! :bulbaFacepalm:

And yes this applies to Ash and his Male Companions too but I often see way more sexualizing of the Girls

These Girls are not Ash's Harem people. It's gross af how many creeps portray them like this :rolleyes:

FelipePR

Reaction score
Aside from being a cute baby that would get lost every now and then, Togepi didn't really have much of a role. They did try to make it more mysterious with Togepi learning Metronome, but that didn't really go anywhere. For a long time, they didn't think that Togepi knew any attacks and Misty didn't make any effort to teach it either.

Well, Togepi has just played his role which is to be a cute baby Pokémon and through that it manage to bring good humor and fun to the audience. It is also worth remembering that the end of the 90's was marked, in Japan, by the extreme success of the "tamagotchis". And Togepi represented just that in the franchise, the cute baby Pokémon that needed care, attention and affection.

In fact, when Togepi evolves, that is, when he reaches maturity to take care of himself and even others, its story ends. Togetic leaves its trainer and lights up in paradise to take care of other cute baby Pokemon.

And, to be honest, in my controversial opinion, the Pokémon masterfully played its role, so much so that it became, for a while, a quite iconic Pokemon. Thus, it was present in various installments of the franchise, often as an egg, as well as participating in several Super Smash Bros games.

Well, certainly the Pokemon could be put to better use after the Original Series, and it might seem like Togepi did little for the franchise or the anime, but it's hard to agree with that when the Pokemon was one of the most fortunate of its time.

Last edited:

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

8/18: Never forget what they took away from us
Reaction score
This one is a really BIG controversial one. I dunno how many people will agree with me or not but....

I'm VERY wary of anyone who calls any of Ash's Female Traveling Companions (Misty, May, Dawn, Iris, Serena, Bonnie, Lana, Lillie, Lana, and Chloe) "Hot" or "Sexy" :sick:

Like what the Hell is wrong is you? I don't care if they're fictional or not, those are flippin CHILDREN!!! :bulbaFacepalm:

And yes this applies to Ash and his Male Companions too but I often see way more sexualizing of the Girls

These Girls are not Ash's Harem people. It's gross af how many creeps portray them like this :rolleyes:
With Serena it’s the worse and I agree with you, especially where it gets beaten on like a dead horse (might as well rename the Amourshipping subreddit Serena because I see more Serena stuff than Amour stuff which is sad and people are always sexualizing her)
Then again I kinda do find XY Ash hot though I don’t want to date him if you know what I mean, he’s Serena’s man.

KyseL

Reaction score

I hope you're exaggerating and this is actually not a controversial take, at least here.

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
Not so much here

But on sites like Twitter and Reddit on the other hand.... :censored:
Yikes, I mean shipping is okay in a level but Yikes again.
In regards to the newest spoiler

I actually don't really care that Dawn has no new evolved Pokemon tbh

I'm just happy to actually SEE these guys
I'm glad Buneary didn't evolve, especially after knowing what Lopunny is based on.
Same with Quilava, they are there to make contests, not for hardcore league battles.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm glad Buneary didn't evolve, especially after knowing what Lopunny is based on.
Same with Quilava, they are there to make contests, not for hardcore league battles.
I don't think that Lopunny being based on a Playboy Bunny really makes it inappropriate or anything like that. The rationale that they're there to make Contests and not hardcore League battles is kind of strange to me. Being a Coordinator didn't stop May from getting a Blaziken or having multiple Pokemon evolve off-screen after she left the cast. The idea that a Typhlosion would be too strong for a Contest just seems weird to me, especially when it hasn't really been featured prominently outside of the Legend of Thunder special.

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
I don't think that Lopunny being based on a Playboy Bunny really makes it inappropriate or anything like that. The rationale that they're there to make Contests and not hardcore League battles is kind of strange to me. Being a Coordinator didn't stop May from getting a Blaziken or having multiple Pokemon evolve off-screen after she left the cast. The idea that a Typhlosion would be too strong for a Contest just seems weird to me, especially when it hasn't really been featured prominently outside of the Legend of Thunder special.
I didn't say anything about Typhlosion being too strong for contest, I said If they are not doing hardcore Pokemon battles, they don't necessarily need to evolve, sure they can evolve but staying in mid stage works too.

As for Lopunny, we don't need Pokemon to be banned across %90 of the world because of an episode, I have a feeling that If this episode (or any episodes) featured Lopunny, it has a chance to get censored (or even taken out like they did in OG series)

FluffleFi

Zzzzappin'!
Reaction score
Lopunny's already been in a small handful of episodes and I don't think any of them have been banned. Nando, a rival to both Ash and Dawn, had one and used it in the Grand Festival. Meowth has had two fantasies featuring a Lopunny, one appeared at the end of a Mega Evolution special, one was in the ORAS animated trailer and Platinum has one in the manga. So i'm not sure really sure how featuring a lopunny could get anything banned.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about Typhlosion being too strong for contest, I said If they are not doing hardcore Pokemon battles, they don't necessarily need to evolve, sure they can evolve but staying in mid stage works too.
I got a different impression from the whole hardcore League battle part from your earlier post. While it's true that Pokemon don't necessarily need to evolve to do well in Contests, evolving doesn't hurt either. Contests battles are still Pokemon battles. They aren't the same as regular Pokemon battles, but if your Pokemon isn't strong enough, it's still going to have a hard time doing well. Plus, evolving would make it possible for them to learn new moves, which can be helpful for both the appeal and battle rounds of a Contest. Quilava can still potentially do well without evolving and it would still be stronger than a Cyndaquil, but there's really no harm in making it evolve into Typhlosion either.

As for Lopunny, we don't need Pokemon to be banned across %90 of the world because of an episode, I have a feeling that If this episode (or any episodes) featured Lopunny, it has a chance to get censored (or even taken out like they did in OG series)
That's really ridiculous. They've already featured Lopunny multiple times in the anime with no problem. It was featured in the episode where Dawn and Buneary were taking part in a fashion show and was used in the Sinnoh Grand Festival. I think that you're taking the whole Playboy Bunny inspiration too seriously when it's never been shown as sexual in the anime. It's just a tall brown bunny. There's nothing inherently sexual about its design and unless you look up its trivia on sites like Bulbapedia, I don't think most people would assume what it's based on. There wouldn't be anything to censor or anything that warrants removing the episode. As far as I can tell, none of Lopunny's appearances in the anime or Adventures manga have been edited or banned in different countries, so I don't understand why you'd think it would be such a huge problem.

Rainbow-Rain

Reaction score
Tsareena is based on a Dominatrix and Mallow still had one

Inteleon is based on a guy universally best known for having sex with multiple women and yet Goh still has one lol

So Lopunny's inspiration probably isn't the reason.

I think they probably just didn't think Lopunny was as marketable as Buneary and then there's the whole crush on Pikachu which they probably thought would've looked akward

Jewel the Quaxly

Duckies! :3
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
crush on Pikachu which they probably thought would've looked akward
I'm not sure why Buneary's crush on Pikachu is a major factor preventing her from evolving, though? The whole gist of the gag was that it was awkward, so if anything, Buneary evolving would help it, not hurt it. Also, considering how Togekiss went from as tall as Dawn to up to her knees, I wouldn't be too surprised if Buneary evolved would be her about the size of Goh's Raichu.

Top Bottom