• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Either way, it was still a horrendous writing decision after everything that happened in Kalos. They spent so long shoving down our throats how OP Mega Charizard X was and that thing needed to be knocked down a peg.
Oh I know and trust me I hate it too. I'm just giving a reason i'm not defending this.

I still remember thinking that part of the reason why they made Alain and his Charizard so overpowered was because they were building up to Ash defeating him. Ash already lost to Alain twice by that point and Ash-Greninja was able to do some damage to Mega Charizard X even without perfecting its form, so the idea that they were building up to Ash's victory sounded quite plausible. Clearly, that didn't happen and it's a shame. I wasn't really interested in Ash winning the Kalos League per say, but rather I just wanted Alain to finally lose to him.

I still remember thinking that part of the reason why they made Alain and his Charizard so overpowered was because they were building up to Ash defeating him. Ash already lost to Alain twice by that point and Ash-Greninja was able to do some damage to Mega Charizard X even without perfecting its form, so the idea that they were building up to Ash's victory sounded quite plausible. Clearly, that didn't happen and it's a shame. I wasn't really interested in Ash winning the Kalos League per say, but rather I just wanted Alain to finally lose to him.
You know if Ash did beat Alain it would kinda make up for the leagues shortcomings kinda. But the fact he still lost makes the whole league even worst they skipped most the league just to have him still lose in the end.

I have expressed a similar thought, but, at the time, few agree.

The way the anime was constructed, it always seemed to me that, in the end, Ash/Ash-Greninja would defeat Alan's Charizard. That is, defeating this Pokémon seemed to be a necessary breakthrough for the protanists to reach their ultimate potential.

However, I never thought Ash would win the championship, for me the anime didn't seem ready to make that transition and, at the time, I don't think they had publicized much about Alola and the big changes that would occur with the anime.

What I considered quite plausible was that Greninja would win over Alan's Charizad, but Ash might still lose to Alan. Honestly, my feeling was that Alan seemed to be a league over Ash.

However, despite the character having others theoretically powerful Pokémon (Metagross, Tyranitar, Weavile,...), all the focus was around his Charizard and its Mega-evolution.

So, even if Ash lost, in case Greninja defeats Charizard, Alan would feel more beat down than victorious, and Ash/Greninja would seem to have reached their goal, as well as the producers wouldn't need to change the Anime formula or deal with the fact that Ash had won a League.

However, for some reason , Alan's charizard was not defeated. :bulbaFacepalm:

Last edited:
That sort of twist can work (Dragon Ball did this amazingly well the same year the XY anime was starting, in fact), but unfortunately that's mostly when the protagonists have great records so them losing is a surprise, while Ash had lost at the end of every game-based regional league up to that point, so instead of a genuinely surprising plot twist it was keeping the status quo but painted to look like a plot twist with buildup and scenes that turned out to be meaningless.

Maybe its just me but Alain really does seem like someone's edgy OC: Wears a lot of black, icnreadibly OP Pokemon, beat the main protagonist multiple times, worked for the evil team, use to be cheerful but became aloof and cold due to reason, really only shows a softer side for Charizard and Mairin, and he won the Kalos League despite his Charizard taking plenty of damage from both Pikachu and Greninja.

That sort of twist can work (Dragon Ball did this amazingly well the same year the XY anime was starting, in fact), but unfortunately that's mostly when the protagonists have great records so them losing is a surprise, while Ash had lost at the end of every game-based regional league up to that point, so instead of a genuinely surprising plot twist it was keeping the status quo but painted to look like a plot twist with buildup and scenes that turned out to be meaningless.
But then they broke the status quo a series later, which is so stupid.

I need to know the exact people responsible for this.
Well, unfortunately it’s impossible because one person or group of people does not make decisions like that. Also, I don’t know what can this information be used for. If such a thing was ever revealed I (unfortunately) fully expect some part of the fandom to send death threats or malicious messages to these people.

Well, unfortunately it’s impossible because one person or group of people does not make decisions like that. Also, I don’t know what can this information be used for. If such a thing was ever revealed I (unfortunately) fully expect some part of the fandom to send death threats or malicious messages to these people.
And that would suck. I just am so disappointed that he lost and it seems so in logical given the narrative hints that he would win.

Journeys feels like endgame for Satoshi . I mean this is the season Satoshi can decorate the best cake that doesnt taste like his Poffins, is less dense than usual and is OP as hell!

Last edited:
The thing is that he is rather inconsistent.

There are times when he realises and at others he is a clueless moron.

I particularly seethe whenever he is portrayed as an idiot. To the point I'd prefer not having him in that episode.

And if Journeys would be his last series, what a bitter taste it'd leave. He doesn't deserve to get the boot after all this mishandling.

The thing is that he is rather inconsistent.

There are times when he realises and at others he is a clueless moron.

I particularly seethe whenever he is portrayed as an idiot. To the point I'd prefer not having him in that episode.

And if Journeys would be his last series, what a bitter taste it'd leave. He doesn't deserve to get the boot after all this mishandling.
Do you really think that? Since SM he is a less clueless moron in my opinion

I mean he, yes he, pointed out that Herracross and Pinsir like each other. That is some form of progress in my book.

I think Ash was only particularly dense about the concept of love in BW; even way back during OS and as recently as SM, I think Ash is about on/slightly below the level of an average 10-year-old.

I know there's absolutely no way this'll happen, but its a shame that Goh's goal to capture Mew isn't being used to flesh out either Jessie's character, Team Rocket or both. Jessie's mom-Miyamoto- left her when she was five to search for said Pokemon because she managed to get a recording of its voice. If the wiki is right then she actually did end up finding it and showed it a picture of Jessie to get it to let her capture it. But a blizzard hit and she's be presumed dead. Again I know none of this would never make it into the anime, I can't even remember the last time Jessie's backstory was refrenced, but it'd be pretty cool. Maybe in a world where the writing's more consistent something would've been brought up, Miyamoto might've even returned or whatever happened to her would've been found out.

Was it that bad in BW? I remember the Cottonee episode
The Cottonee episode was arguably the worse he’s been. Iris needed to tell him that he’s an idiot, he’s such a kid, tell him about love. Ten years olds usually know about this stuff.
Also not getting Serena’s hints in XY... facepalm
Brock needed to talk to him about love. He wasn’t that dense in OS it feels like AG they turned it up a notch. Honestly I hate how Ash is so stupid with that. ITS NOT FUNNY.

The Cottonee episode was arguably the worse he’s been. Iris needed to tell him that he’s an idiot, he’s such a kid, tell him about love. Ten years olds usually know about this stuff.
Also not getting Serena’s hints in XY... facepalm
Brock needed to talk to him about love. He wasn’t that dense in OS it feels like AG they turned it up a notch. Honestly I hate how Ash is so stupid with that. ITS NOT FUNNY.
It wasnt funny indeed, I was surprised Iris knew so much about love lol. Glad they toned it down alot. BW WAS THE WORSE IN THE POINT OF VIEW !

Back
Top Bottom