• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

If they didn't make Tobias, aka the guy who has literal in-universe gods in his team, the Champion of Sinnoh, then there's no way Alain will get to be the Champion of Kalos, especially since he discarded his Charizardite X at the end of the XYZ saga and vowed to start over from scratch completely free of the influence of an evil team, thereby losing him a lot of his power. The reason for this is probably unsatisfying to many, but the fact of the matter is that Tobias and Alain aren't game characters while Cynthia and Diantha are, meaning the latter two have far greater marketing value for the franchise, so they are kept in their position as Champions of their respective regions basically because Merchandise Power (an unusual variant of Plot Armor) protects them.
I like to imagine our queen, Champion Cynthia, defeated Tobias. If Tobias isn't gonna, no way Alain is. All the plot armor he and his absurdly OP Mega Charizard X had wasn't gonna protect him.

Because that would mean the writers cared about doing anything with TR in JN and from what has been shown they don't.
Again; Its a damn shame considering the anime keeps trying to paint Team Rocket as this overarching big bad that the audience is supposed to be taking seriously. And yet every time members outside of the TRio appear they're soundly beaten and forced to flee. Ash has had what, two confrontations with Giovanni in the 20+ years the anime has been airing?

Again; Its a damn shame considering the anime keeps trying to paint Team Rocket as this overarching big bad that the audience is supposed to be taking seriously. And yet every time members outside of the TRio appear they're soundly beaten and forced to flee. Ash has had what, two confrontations with Giovanni in the 20+ years the anime has been airing?
I KNOW RIGHT LOL! TEAM ROCKET NEVER FEELS LIKE A REAL THREAT.

If they didn't make Tobias, aka the guy who has literal in-universe gods in his team, the Champion of Sinnoh, then there's no way Alain will get to be the Champion of Kalos, especially since he discarded his Charizardite X at the end of the XYZ saga and vowed to start over from scratch completely free of the influence of an evil team, thereby losing him a lot of his power. The reason for this is probably unsatisfying to many, but the fact of the matter is that Tobias and Alain aren't game characters while Cynthia and Diantha are, meaning the latter two have far greater marketing value for the franchise, so they are kept in their position as Champions of their respective regions basically because Merchandise Power (an unusual variant of Plot Armor) protects them.

You're completely right, but there's still room for Alain to make a reappearance at the Pokémon World Championships. Indeed, he is the rival that makes the most sense to reappear, given the fact that Ash never beat him and the bitter feeling that the League of Kalos final left in fans' minds. Truly, I believe that very few fanservices would garner more attention than this one.

Last edited:
You're completely right, but there's still room for Alain to make a reappearance at the Pokémon World Championships. In fact, it's the rival that makes the most sense to reappear, given the fact that Ash never beat him and the bitter feeling that the League of Kalos final left in fans' minds. In fact, I believe very few fanservices would garner more attention than this one.
I mean Satoshi winning against Alain would be more satisfying than Paul returning and Satoshi giving him a run for his money again

It's kinda sad but I genuinely think one of my main concerns about Alain returning so Ash finally beats him is that I can't see them having two Charizard lose in the same series and I'd consider it a big hint that Ash loses to Leon.
Tho never say never knowing JN

It's kinda sad but I genuinely think one of my main concerns about Alain returning so Ash finally beats him is that I can't see them having two Charizard lose in the same series and I'd consider it a big hint that Ash loses to Leon.
Considering this series' records....

Satoshi can lose against both Alan and Dande, because the Orange Lizard can't be shown getting beaten.

I mean if Ash is to reach Leon by default he has to beat everyone before him to get to that point. Assuming Alan even shows up this series....

I mean if Ash is to reach Leon by default he has to beat everyone before him to get to that point. Assuming Alan even shows up this series....
Realistically I do not expect Alain to show up since he's not from the games. As far as I can recall Ritchie is the only anime rival who got to keep appearing later outside brief flashbacks and intro/outro appearances.

Realistically I do not expect Alain to show up since he's not from the games. As far as I can recall Ritchie is the only anime rival who got to keep appearing later outside brief flashbacks and intro/outro appearances.
Hmm true. Tho techically he appears in the games.

I could see Alan showing up, but it depends if they want to promote Mega Charizard again through him or with someone else. Yeah he gave up his keystone but he can get another one.

If Alain shows up and loses to Ash's current team, doesn't that just make Greninja look weak? It received a unique form and the battle between it and Charizard was hyped to hell, but it lost. It got taken out by Blast Burn just like it did in Ash and Alain's very first battle. Not too good a showing, and if Alain's Charizard were to lose to Mega Lucario-cause who else would they let take it out, Sirfetch?-I think it'd make Ash-Greninja look pretty underwhelming.

If Alain shows up and loses to Ash's current team, doesn't that just make Greninja look weak? It received a unique form and the battle between it and Charizard was hyped to hell, but it lost. It got taken out by Blast Burn just like it did in Ash and Alain's very first battle. Not too good a showing, and if Alain's Charizard were to lose to Mega Lucario-cause who else would they let take it out, Sirfetch?-I think it'd make Ash-Greninja look pretty underwhelming.
Or they use AG for the rematch. It is as simple as that

That's another reason I think bringing Alain back for a rematch would be awkward unless Greninja returned too.
Even then....eh, it's been a long time. Bringing one of Alain or Greninja back is one thing but bringing both might feel forced.

And I'm gonna add that to my growing list of ''Why the PWC is a middle finger to every single one of Ash's pre-JN Pokémon sans Pikachu".

Let's say that Alain comes back through the PWC: why does any of the JN team members deserve to beat Alain's Zard but Greninja doesn't??? Because Greninja not being the one to finally take that bih down will feel like a roundhouse kick to the face of both Pokémon and the viewers.

And I'm gonna add that to my growing list of ''Why the PWC is a middle finger to every single one of Ash's pre-JN Pokémon sans Pikachu".

Let's say that Alain comes back through the PWC: why does any of the JN team members deserve to beat Alain's Zard but Greninja doesn't??? Because Greninja not being the one to finally take that bih down will feel like a roundhouse kick to the face of both Pokémon and the viewers.
I wouldnt be surprised if JN does such a move.

You're completely right, but there's still room for Alain to make a reappearance at the Pokémon World Championships. Indeed, he is the rival that makes the most sense to reappear, given the fact that Ash never beat him and the bitter feeling that the League of Kalos final left in fans' minds. Truly, I believe that very few fanservices would garner more attention than this one.
Yeah, I get that, but like several people have already pointed out here, would it really be that satisfying a victory if Ash beats Alain with a Pokemon other than Greninja (especially so if it's Lucario of all things, seeing how it's got an outright type-disadvntage against Zard)? I mean, I guess they could make Ash-Greninja return too, but I'm not sure if letting the Journeys team get overshadowed by an old ace is that good an idea either, especially with how sparse their development is already. In other words, I feel like making Alain return so Ash can beat him is a bit of a lose-lose situation: either Ash beats him with his current team and makes Greninja look bad, or Greninja returns to steal the thunder from Pokemon who haven't gotten even half the shilling that it got in its series.

In short, I feel like the simplest solution is to just not let Alain return at all. Especially since Leon is functionally serving the same role as Alain did, what with him also having an overpowered Charizard as his ace and being undefeatable.

Also it's not like Greninja is the only old Pokémon who had a score to settle. A bunch of them got fed into an unwinnable woodchipper to get DP over with quickly, the Unova team had the sad "honour" of being the only team to rank worse than the previous series, Torkoal got screwed in general, Torterra never got to win in his final form, etc.

I mean if all of Ash's old Pokémon suddenly get to come back and redeem their league defeats that would be one thing, but I'm not sure Greninja needs even more special treatment.

What would make this better is Greninja coming back and beating Alain's MCX.

Back
Top Bottom