• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I can get behind that review of Ash's role, but unfortunately I still can't get over the fact that, inexperienced or otherwise, he was still a massive a-hole in the original series, and then everyone ELSE was a massive a-hole to him on the occasions Ash himself WASN'T being an a-hole.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for jerk protagonists, but not on the level and not with the amount of hypocrisy the Kanto saga had.

Z-moves were a mistake.
Z-Moves were to moves what Mega Evolutions and regional variants were for the Pokémon themselves: a way to bring some forgotten and underused material back into the spotlight.
Yeah. That some kind of "action".
They were action! Comedic action, maybe, at times, but action nonetheless!
I can get behind that review of Ash's role, but unfortunately I still can't get over the fact that, inexperienced or otherwise, he was still a massive a-hole in the original series, and then everyone ELSE was a massive a-hole to him on the occasions Ash himself WASN'T being an a-hole.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for jerk protagonists, but not on the level and not with the amount of hypocrisy the Kanto saga had.
Well, the way characters were written back in season 1 was kinda weird at times. You can blame it on that.

FinnishPokéfan92, you don't have to answer any kind of criticism, especially in this thread.

Sorry for my outrage. Lets face it: SM isnt really made for the West. Where pokémon stayed general in the past, they focuss on humor and the humor is different from The East and the West.

This is not a thread to discuss others' controversial opinions.
I respectfully disagree.
Sorry for my outrage. Lets face it: SM isnt really made for the West. Where pokémon stayed general in the past, they focuss on humor and the humor is different from The East and the West.
I'm not so sure. I know many westerners who honestly enjoy the humor of S&M.

I honestly like that the SM took one a more slice-of-life style, what's wrong with a change in formula after 20 years? Might just be my bias since I mostly watch for the Pokemon themselves, but I just really like the interactions between them. Back then you hardly ever had Pokemon interact outside their own allies, but for the last few sagas we've had more and more interactions. Like Pikachu and Piplup, Gible and Piplup, Pancham and Chespin and Bunnelby and Eevee(before she evolved and became dull, anyway). Now every Pokemon stays outside of its ball and they can all see each other whenever the crew goes to school.

Also, I Buneary's one of my favorite Pokemon but I find Togedemaru's crush on Pikachu to be a lot more enduring and adorable.

I honestly like that the SM took one a more slice-of-life style, what's wrong with a change in formula after 20 years? Might just be my bias since I mostly watch for the Pokemon themselves, but I just really like the interactions between them. Back then you hardly ever had Pokemon interact outside their own allies, but for the last few sagas we've had more and more interactions. Like Pikachu and Piplup, Gible and Piplup, Pancham and Chespin and Bunnelby and Eevee(before she evolved and became dull, anyway). Now every Pokemon stays outside of its ball and they can all see each other whenever the crew goes to school.

Also, I Buneary's one of my favorite Pokemon but I find Togedemaru's crush on Pikachu to be a lot more enduring and adorable.
Nothing is wrong with changing and I like SM, but they go something TOO far in humor and faces.

How will they write the next series? Comedy-style or action-packed or general?

Why? Why are they wrong? Why did Ash get a Z-Ring and not a Mega-Ring?

Extended one-sided stock footage gets old fast.

I loved Samurai Pizza Cats but my least favorite thing about it was how Speedy always finished fights with the same stock footage move.

Most of the jokes go lost in translating like that baseball joke.
I admit. You're right on that one. The translated puns often come off as forced.
Extended one-sided stock footage gets old fast.

I loved Samurai Pizza Cats but my least favorite thing about it was how Speedy always finished fights with the same stock footage move.
As a kid, I used to watch a show where same launch sequences were repeated every few episodes, but I never got tired of seeing them. And that kind of repeating happens in a ton of other shows too! For example, I happen to know a Power Rangers fan, who always watched every transformation sequence from his favorite seasons. Believe it or not, many people like repeated clips, and I don't hate them here either!

As a kid, I used to watch a show where same launch sequences were repeated every few episodes, but I never got tired of seeing them. And that kind of repeating happens in a ton of other shows too! For example, I happen to know a Power Rangers fan, who always watched every transformation sequence from his favorite seasons. Believe it or not, many people like repeated clips, and I don't hate them here either!

But Pokemon mostly avoided that up until now and IMO that was for the better. Sure there was stock footage, but it was usually brief, TR speeches being the main exception.

Back
Top Bottom