• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
Torracat should have been given more battles before the league sure but the battle with Kukui's Incineroar was still good overall.
Gengar and sirfetch’d who have quite some battle experience under their belt are not allowed to defeat champions while torracat who had like 2 official battles, is? Smells like bias alright.

HiroHunter

Limits can be broken!
Reaction score
Gengar and sirfetch’d who have quite some battle experience under their belt are not allowed to defeat champions while torracat who had like 2 official battles, is? Smells like bias alright.
Experience doesn't matter if you have nothing to show for it. I put more stock into someone who battled less but when they did battle they did very well even when they lost. Over someone who battled more but looked like a jobber most of the time.

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

Ash's Lucario is his greatest Pokémon!
Reaction score
Now with Greninja confirmed if Ash vs Alain with AG vs MCX doesn’t happen it will be a huge misopportunity. I don’t care if it’s an unofficial battle it will at least make up a little for the Kalos League.
Honestly I think Greninja might be Infernaped and they’ll cram it and Clemont and Bonnie into one episode
If AG proves it’s worth in the master class it will be half worth it because something is still missing: Ash needs to beat Alain

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now with Greninja confirmed if Ash vs Alain with AG vs MCX doesn’t happen it will be a huge misopportunity. I don’t care if it’s an unofficial battle it will at least make up a little for the Kalos League.
Honestly I think Greninja might be Infernaped and they’ll cram it and Clemont and Bonnie into one episode
If AG proves it’s worth in the master class it will be half worth it because something is still missing: Ash needs to beat Alain
I think that you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. There's no sign of Alain appearing and even if there was, defeating Alain with Ash-Greninja wouldn't make up for the Kalos League. It wouldn't change the outcome, it would suddenly make Ash the Kalos League Champion and winning wouldn't suddenly prove its worth. It already did that through battles before and after Greninja evolved. Defeating Alain is not going to mean anything at this point.

It's also rather strange to me that people still get upset over how Infernape was handled. It still feels like that's more of an issue of the marketing and/or fans having such huge expectations for its return rather than Journeys treating it poorly.

Daren

Unsung Hero
Reaction score
There's no sign of Alain appearing and even if there was, defeating Alain with Ash-Greninja wouldn't make up for the Kalos League. It wouldn't change the outcome, it would suddenly make Ash the Kalos League Champion and winning wouldn't suddenly prove its worth.
As much as I doubt Alain is coming back I don't see this as a reason not to let Ash beat him at some point: Ash beating Gary, Paul, and Trip in the leagues didn't change the outcome of their earlier battles or make Ash the winner of the junior tournament either.

Edit: I mean honestly I do understand where cricketlaxwolvesbandy is coming from; Greninja being the only ace that couldn't overcome their rival after all the buildup they got still feels like he got kind of a raw deal compared to Infernape, Lycanroc, or Torracat.

Turbo

I swear I don’t even know what’s going on anymore
Reaction score
I'll try to do one for each series
OS Kanto - Misty and Brock aren't that great and nostalgia benefits them a lot
OS Johto - Gary wasn't a good rival and Harrison was even better lol
AG(including BF) - might be the best series beginning to end as in terms of pacing and development and etc as other series have large fillers and such and it ends with Ash winning something and May beating her rival
DP - Ash’s Infernape shouldn't have been Ash’s ace in DP
BW - Iris and Cilan we're great if not the best companions just Ash and etc weren't at their best which makes them look worse
XY - Serena wasn't that interesting and her having an open crush got old and a little weird
XY - Ash wasn't as strong and competent as people make him out to be
SM - Had the great balance of caring for the other characters as they all had a few episodes of focus and still having the similar spirit of old Pokemon series with the training and such
SM - oh and Z moves are the best mechanic at least in the way it was handled
JN - Goh is fun, Chloe is boring, the series is enjoyable but it doesn't benefit from the weekly release format as it heightens the negatives like the stretch where Ash wasn't doing much

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As much as I doubt Alain is coming back I don't see this as a reason not to let Ash beat him at some point: Ash beating Gary, Paul, and Trip in the leagues didn't change the outcome of their earlier battles or make Ash the winner of the junior tournament either.
The difference is that Ash eventually defeated those rivals in their respective leagues. They didn't go out of their way to bring them back years later just to resolve the rivalry or allow Ash to finally defeat them. Plus, I just disagree with the idea that it would make up for the Kalos League in general. Ash defeating his rivals before didn't change the outcomes of their earlier battles, but that wasn't the point since those were supposed to be his last major confrontations with those characters. The idea that Ash defeating Alain would even slightly make up for the Kalos League is the opposite.

Edit: I mean honestly I do understand where cricketlaxwolvesbandy is coming from; Greninja being the only ace that couldn't overcome their rival after all the buildup they got still feels like he got kind of a raw deal compared to Infernape, Lycanroc, or Torracat.
I understand that as well. Greninja really didn't get a satisfying climactic battle compared to other ace Pokemon and I can understand why that would still leave a sour taste for fans even after all this time. My issues are that I don't think the victory would mean anything at this point and Greninja doesn't have to defeat Mega Charizard X to prove its worth.

Blob

Reaction score
What's the point of bringing Paul back? Of ALL characters to return that Ash had a rivalry with, Paul shouldn't have been one. Heck, Ritchie would have made more sense, since Ash has never actually won against him.

I just hope that Paul doesn't go back to being "better" than Ash for no reason and steals Greninja away as payback for Chimchar.

Turbo

I swear I don’t even know what’s going on anymore
Reaction score
Basing this off what?
I've noticed that people view XY Ash as this pinnacle of strength, most serious, champion-level tier, shonen protagonist, and is leaps and bounds over any other version of Ash

Where I just think he was still the same for the most part
he was still the silly, stupid/dumb, headstrong, etc...
And battle wise he obviously had his moments but I wouldn't say more than AG, DP, SM, etc...

Essentially I think people over value what he did in XY whether because of visuals or league placement or etc

Hope that make sense

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
True but from the damage he took from Pikachu pre mega and Greninja post mega. The fact he not only no selled that last attack from Ash-Greninja but he also looked like he didn't take any damage at the end is kinda BS.
I haven't been active for like more than two weeks but didn't Greninja took 3 (or more) Dragon Claws and yet still kept going? (I might remember the fight wrong though, feel free to correct me)

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

Reaction score
I haven't been active for like more than two weeks but didn't Greninja took 3 (or more) Dragon Claws and yet still kept going? (I might remember the fight wrong though, feel free to correct me)
I think it was only one. Two at the most.
Greninja took three-four attacks (which is low for anime standards) before fainting
Dragon Claw
Flamethrower
Blast Burn

UglyToast

Reaction score
Pronouns
Male
Greninja took three-four attacks (which is low for anime standards) before fainting
Dragon Claw
Flamethrower
Blast Burn
I know Anime and Games are different but Greninja has low defences, maybe it has to do with him being like Pikachu (by that I mean a glass cannon like Pikachu)?

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
Dragon Claw
Flamethrower
Blast Burn
Meanwhile that OP Mega Charizard X took a Quick Attack, a Thunderbolt, two hits from Aerial Ace, a Water Shuriken, and that mega Water Shuriken. Yet it had essentially no scratches or anything. That was pretty ridiculous.

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

Reaction score
I know Anime and Games are different but Greninja has low defences, maybe it has to do with him being like Pikachu (by that I mean a glass cannon like Pikachu)?
Yes but this is the finals. Greninja should have taken more hits if he’s stronger