• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
It is kinda disappointing how the PWC didn't really have many notable opponents until the ultra class. Before that point, Ash was facing off against one off characters with little significance or time even dedicated to their battles. While he faced Korrina in the normal class, as well as Iris and Bea in the super class, the vast majority of his opponents were one off characters with little time dedicated to their battles. We didn't start to get a steady stream of notable opponents until the ultra class, with Ash fighting against 5 notable trainers, one of which he faced in a prior class.

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
It is kinda disappointing how the PWC didn't really have many notable opponents until the ultra class. Before that point, Ash was facing off against one off characters with little significance or time even dedicated to their battles. While he faced Korrina in the normal class, as well as Iris and Bea in the super class, the vast majority of his opponents were one off characters with little time dedicated to their battles. We didn't start to get a steady stream of notable opponents until the ultra class, with Ash fighting against 5 notable trainers, one of which he faced in a prior class.
What makes it worse is that ALL of those one off characters could've easily been replaced with Galar characters

Why couldn't Vizquez have been Milo?

Why couldn't Rinto have been Hop?

You're seriously gonna tell me HOP. Leon's little BROTHER had absolutely no interest in competing in the PWC when his storyline in the games is that he wants to defeat his brother????

Alola

UltraMysteryDungeon, when?
Reaction score
After today's episode, I still fail to see how any of these tasks Go has been assigned to do are relevant to catching a Mew. Between the PWC and Project Mew, I don't know which anime-only creation was worse in execution.

The writer's need to go back to the blueprint that is the console games.

Enzo

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Honestly, I think I'd be fine with three-on-three matches. I can understand the disappointment and frustration since going all out with a tournament full of Champions would be cooler, but I think that would just use up too much of their budget. Not to mention I don't think that they'd be willing or interested in having that many multi-part battles given how fast paced Journeys has been. Plus, they generally don't have that many full battles per series. Three-on-three battles should have been the standard for PWC matches, so getting that at least in the last stretch is better than more one-on-one battles.
I get your point, but we're talking about battles against the literal strongest trainers in the world, and the highest stakes Ash has ever faced. 6x6 battles with excelent, top-tier animation are the bare minimum, at least to me, personally.

Of course it's JN so we all should keep out expectations down, but I can't help but have a tiny little slice of hope.

Sai

Reaction score
Ash's new Pokémon beating Iris so early just devalued what it means to be a Champion in the series. That should have been a hyper class battle and it'd be more believable once Ash's new Pokémon had more experience. Also, I agree with Hidden Mew that 1v1s in such an important tournament make the whole
impressive. I'll even reluctantly accept Marnie being hyper class (even though she always felt a tier lower than that in the games) but if so, give us a better match.
There wouldn't be that much difference if Iris happened later. Having Ash beat her later and still make it to Master Class would have been odder. Ash and Iris have always been roughly on the same level and the writers wanted to show both started off at the beginning and had to work their way up to Super Class.

Obviously Iris is the newest/youngest champion so him beating her isn't going to be treated as big a prestige as any of the long running champions. That's why Ash didn't battle any of the other champions yet

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get your point, but we're talking about battles against the literal strongest trainers in the world, and the highest stakes Ash has ever faced. 6x6 battles with excelent, top-tier animation are the bare minimum, at least to me, personally.

Of course it's JN so we all should keep out expectations down, but I can't help but have a tiny little slice of hope.
I can't really see any other series being capable of having a tournament of full battles for pretty much the same reason, so the issues people have with Journeys feel kind irrelevant to this issue.

Sai

Reaction score
At the least I'm sure Cynthia and obviously Leon will be 6 on 6, the latter so Ash can use his full JN team.

Some of the earlier rounds being 3 on 3 is possible though

Enzo

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
On average, it seems 2-3 full battles are the standard for series for the most part, though BW and SM are the exception, with both only truly having one full battle...Well, technically BW only had 6 v. 5....
So it works then. 3 full battles for Ash in the Masters 8, if they go in with a single-elimination approach.

If there's anytime to go with full battles that go off the budget, it's now.

Last edited:

CharizardFan7

Though I'm also a Blaziken fan
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
So it works then. 3 full battles for Ash in the Masters 8, if they go in with an single-elimination approach.

If there's anytime to go with full battles that go off the budget, it's now.
Hell yeah it is. And if we only get three full battles, I can live with that.

Iris_clover

I’m doin fine?
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/they/he/it
I don’t like volo……..
even before the part where he wants to kill us.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One of the many points that makes SM far from my favorite Saga is Bewear (then Bewear and Stufful). I can't recall if there is a single reason why she's so obsessed by Team Rocket. Some could say that's because she lost her Stufful, but she kept being obsessed with them even with Stufful back. The fact that she's the "blasting off" gag from SM annoys me a lot. Also, I consider her obsession being worse: she absolutely wants to make them her "golden prisoners". Outside of exceptions, she won't let them go, and the only time she let them go for good is when the Saga ended. To me, she clearly dethroned the alcoholic-nosed food guy (does he have a name? It's been a long time I haven't watched an episode with him) as the Team Rocket-related character I hate the most (I hate the latter for his excessive aggressivity).

Last edited:

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

8/18: Never forget what they took away from us
Reaction score
One of the many points that makes SM far from my favorite Saga is Bewear (then Bewear and Stufful). I can't recall if there is a single reason why she's so obsessed by Team Rocket. Some could say that's because she lost her Stufful, but she kept being obsessed with them even with Stufful back. The fact that she's the "blasting off" gag from SM annoys me a lot. Also, I consider her obsession being worse: she absolutely wants to make them her "golden prisoners". Outside of exceptions, she won't let them go, and the only time she let them go for good is when the Saga ended. To me, she clearly dethroned the alcoholic-nosed food guy (does he have a name? It's been a long time I haven't watched an episode with him) as the Team Rocket-related character I hate the most (I hate the latter for his excessive aggressivity).
I love Bewear and Stufful so much! The best parts of SM.
Edit: misread your question :(

Reaction score
I don’t know how controversial this opinion is, but I think May is the traveling companion with the best arc and it’s not particularly close.

Top Bottom