• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Pokeshipping is a thing that you should give more respect. I love it because it makes the series even funnier and more adult in a Kidsshow. It's so funny when Ash stands on the tube.

I'm a Pokéshipper myself (also a Journeyshipper), but my point is mainly questioning if there's a good reason to single out shipping as a whole as being (factually) perverted, but not coming down on the show for when it got less than well classy (or anime as a whole).

The only reason Misty's crush on Ash sorta worked in Kanto is because the show was written like a slapstick comedy back then and the writers had no idea the series was going to go on 20+ years (it was going to end after a year and a half). It's likely why when Johto started they pretty much dropped all shipping because by then they knew the show was never going to end, besides giving it one last hurrah in Misty's finale episode.

It's also noticeable whenever Misty returned in AG or SM, there's no real shipping moments anymore. Even ignoring what they did with Serena later, I kinda feel bad for all the shippers who waited two decades just to see Misty's crush on Ash dissolved over time. Pokeshipping is still popular fandom-wise with fanart and discussions on twitter and such, but the writers clearly moved on a long time ago.

I don't hate Gible in the slightest, but I personally wouldn't have given Ash anything else after Gilscar got caught.

Here's two things: Gible was ultimately pointless because I barely did anything (precisely because it got caught too late for it's own good) and because I do still firmly believe that the time they wasted on Gible could've been used for Torterra, who needed it a lot more, instead.

So instead of just giving Torterra development and training, they just gave Ash another mon who ended up barely doing anything of value and another that was an utter failure.

Also the initial hype was Gible was Ash's very first dragon pokemon and in a season Cynthia had Garchomp. For the writers to give Ash a pokemon with a popular final evolution and then just never do anything with it was a misfire. Hell when people think about Ash's Sinnoh team most people forget Gible was part of it.

You talked about gible who hadnt been close to the potential.. but you forget a pokemon like bulbasaur :bulbaWave: was used way more and stayed unevolved to the very end.
True Garchomp's hype could be good add on but realy bad written due to the short road to evolution.. and you know how long it takes to make them dragons leveled up anyway.. (Dragonite was already evolved or it could stay a Dratini till the very end of JNs o_O )

I still feel like I'm one of the few people who actually like Ash's Gible. I don't think it was pointless or anything like that. I thought that it was handled well for a late series capture. It got a good amount of focus, had a memorable personality and took part in the Sinnoh League where it was able to master Draco Meteor. Maybe it helps that I wasn't expecting it to evolve. Sure, Garchomp is incredibly popular, but I don't think that they would have been willing to give one to Ash. Even if he had caught Gible earlier in DP, I don't think it would have evolved more than once. It wasn't amazing and it is a shame that it didn't get to be in the Gym battle against Volkner, but for a late series capture, I thought that Gible was fine. I'd take over Pokemon like Phanpy or Noviern.

It also seems a bit much to blame Gible for the lack of screentime for Torterra. I don't think that they would have been more willing to give Torterra any training even if Gible wasn't around. They were already pretty set on making it the jobber given that it never won a battle after evolving. I don't think that would have drastically changed if Gible wasn't around, especially when they never really treated Torterra's defeats as a problem in-universe either.

Garchomp is literaly in my eye's one of the mons that Ash shouldnt have, or Seismitaod, that are increadible nice but match in nothing with Ash's character. (DONT FORSTAND ME WRONG) I think its OK to let Pokemon be how there was...
BT: Garchomp is nothing that Ash should spend the hole series because i think that it will destroy the legacy aura between Chxthia and Garchomp when i see that that thing can loose:(
BT2: Garchomp is too popular

I've never read the manga, so excuse me if i'm wrong; This series doesn't really know how to handle jobbers, does it? Why did Torterra keep losing? Its a starter(so plenty of people have a connection to it), it had plenty of wins as a Turtwig and its a large and intimidating Pokemon. So using it to establish an opponent's strength makes sense, but it stops being effective if said Pokemon never gets any on-screen wins.

Iris' Dragonite is a friggin' Dragonite. We, the audience, call these kind of Pokemon 'Pseudo Legends' for a reason. You expect it to to be an absolute terror on the battlefield, tanking hits and knocking out opponents left and right. But just like Torterra it loses a lot more often than it wins.

Bringing Alain back to hype up Leon isn't that bad of an idea. After all we've seen just how talented of a trainer he is, we know how powerful his Charizard is and Ash has never bested him. So using him as a jobber makes a lot of sense. However, from what i've heard, that battle was incredibly lack luster. Alain's team, even his overpowered Charizard, went down way too fast. That's not at all how you handle jobbers. If they go down with very little difficulty it'll either leave people intrigued, or make people ponder just what kind of asspull they'll use to secure a win.

Iris' Dragonite is a friggin' Dragonite. We, the audience, call these kind of Pokemon 'Pseudo Legends' for a reason. You expect it to to be an absolute terror on the battlefield, tanking hits and knocking out opponents left and right. But just like Torterra it loses a lot more often than it wins.
Ash’s Goodra is the worst offender of this. Why it was released in the MIDDLE OF THE SERIES and comes back to job baffles me

I think that Goodra isn't a Pokemon for the Finals in XY...

Hello?! It's for me the best Plotwist in the entire XY series... It give the battle a more interessting side that is in JN dominated by some intimidating Pokemon like Milotic or Dragonite and Charizard and Gyarados. Ash's team will be the only slightly funny unexpected team... Ok.. with Steve's Cradily.

Bringing Alain back to hype up Leon isn't that bad of an idea. After all we've seen just how talented of a trainer he is, we know how powerful his Charizard is and Ash has never bested him. So using him as a jobber makes a lot of sense. However, from what i've heard, that battle was incredibly lack luster. Alain's team, even his overpowered Charizard, went down way too fast. That's not at all how you handle jobbers. If they go down with very little difficulty it'll either leave people intrigued, or make people ponder just what kind of asspull they'll use to secure a win.
There's also the issue that only long time fans would be familiar enough with Alain to where Leon defeating him would be seen as a big deal. XY wasn't that long ago all things considered and it wouldn't be difficult to briefly cover his rivalry with Ash to bring the newer fans up to speed if they didn't watch the series, but bringing Alain back just to be a jobber for Leon wouldn't have much impact on the current kids watching and if they wanted to appeal to long time fans, it definitely backfired when a lot of people wanted/expected Ash vs. Alain to happen instead.

Alain is the worst slobber of all time.
I think he shouldn't get in the JN series and just hang up a little in a early episode.
In a place how M8 isn't he the right person for my. It's way to dangerous to play with such sharp toys as slobbers. Wy not Wallace? It will be the perfect fight for him to show that he is really bad at all.

Alain is the worst slobber of all time.
I think he shouldn't get in the JN series and just hang up a little in a early episode.
In a place how M8 isn't he the right person for my. It's way to dangerous to play with such sharp toys as slobbers. Wy not Wallace? It will be the perfect fight for him to show that he is really bad at all.
The reason they picked Alain over anyone else is simple. Its hype bait. Hype bait and nothing else like the rest of JN.

The reason they picked Alain over anyone else is simple. Its hype bait. Hype bait and nothing else like the rest of JN.
And it’s disgusting because they didn’t give the people what they wanted. Same with the Kalos League. XYZ and Ash-Greninja was a failed overglorifying hype bait fest that backfired humongously

And it’s disgusting because they didn’t give the people what they wanted. Same with the Kalos League. XYZ and Ash-Greninja was a failed overglorifying hype bait fest that backfired humongously
Genuinely speaking, I think a big majority of people wanted Ash to win the Kalos League, not that they expected him to win. So I don't think anything has backfired in that sense. It just didn't deliver what they wished.

Genuinely speaking, I think a big majority of people wanted Ash to win the Kalos League, not that they expected him to win. So I don't think anything has backfired in that sense. It just didn't deliver what they wished.
I think it was more so that people thought he had a very good chance of winning it, based on where the story seemed to be going.

I say it was more like based on how the story was going and setting it self up that it looked like Ash was likely to win. It was just build up with no pay off.

There's also the issue that only long time fans would be familiar enough with Alain to where Leon defeating him would be seen as a big deal. XY wasn't that long ago all things considered and it wouldn't be difficult to briefly cover his rivalry with Ash to bring the newer fans up to speed if they didn't watch the series, but bringing Alain back just to be a jobber for Leon wouldn't have much impact on the current kids watching and if they wanted to appeal to long time fans, it definitely backfired when a lot of people wanted/expected Ash vs. Alain to happen instead.
Maybe the hype for Alain's m8, and the fruatration everywhere from the reaults are doing both the job they wanted. Like it was ages ago and we still talk about it...

Back
Top Bottom