• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• There have been changes to the pronoun field in user profiles. Find out more here!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Controversial opinions

Sai

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Not controversial but… JN Ash looks like trash. It’s why I can’t take him seriously and part of the reason why I hate JN. Like it would be so much better if we had the XY art style
JN Ash literally just looks like a slightly younger version of XY Ash. I watched the Steven battle recently and Ash looks fine. Only in some of the earlier JN eps when they were getting used to the new design did he look somewhat similar to his SM self or his pupils were drawn a little too large.

Even though I also prefer either his classic look or XY look the most I don't see how Ash looks bad at all this series.

Adelon

Swampert's Ghost
Reaction score
JN Ash literally just looks like a slightly younger version of XY Ash. I watched the Steven battle recently and Ash looks fine. Only in some of the earlier JN eps when they were getting used to the new design did he look somewhat similar to his SM self or his pupils were drawn a little too large.

Even though I also prefer either his classic look or XY look the most I don't see how Ash looks bad at all this series.
I'm not a huge fan of the way he smiles now, those toothy grins are supposed to make him look determined or confident but it actually makes him look evil more than anything.

Compare left (AG) and right (JN)

ed4192eed14756fa5e3ddf8bcd2f4905d8058ccev2_00.jpg
1660575635663.png

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

Top Talonflame: HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE!
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the way he smiles now, those toothy grins are supposed to make him look determined or confident but it actually makes him look evil more than anything.

Compare left (AG) and right (JN)

ed4192eed14756fa5e3ddf8bcd2f4905d8058ccev2_00.jpg
View attachment 162763
Agreed I hate the way JN Ash smiles. He looks nothing like his OG-XY design which were all similar to each other

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That was from BW Ash and that wasn’t a strategy. It was literally “bring one Pokemon to a 3v3”
Technically speaking, it was still a strategy. It was still really stupid and easily one of the more infamous moments in BW, but Ash still spent more time actually thinking about how to battle Else instead of thinking about it on the spot. As a result, he made more mistakes and was more out of character even for BW.

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

Reaction score
Technically speaking, it was still a strategy. It was still really stupid and easily one of the more infamous moments in BW, but Ash still spent more time actually thinking about how to battle Else instead of thinking about it on the spot. As a result, he made more mistakes and was more out of character even for BW.
It shouldn’t be used as proof that “Ash should never strategize and the one time he did look what happened”
That was probably the dumbest thing Ash has done to date

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It shouldn’t be used as proof that “Ash should never strategize and the one time he did look what happened”
That was probably the dumbest thing Ash has done to date
I was using it more as evidence as to why Ash doesn't work well with more conventional planning/strategizing prior to a battle. He still plans for what Pokemon to use for each battle, which is still a kind of strategy, so he isn't incapable of thinking at all. Ash just tends to do a better job with thinking on the fly than planning out more detailed strategies. That doesn't mean he's an idiot. It just means he has a different way to battle than what is seen as more typical or conventional.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Ash isn’t just good at pre-planning. Just like how some people aren’t good at rote learning but are really good at practically linking concepts. Ash is pretty similar to those people.

Nicolas721

Reaction score
I don't mind Ash's battle style, however I agree that specially as of late it feels exaggerated to the point planning looks completely useless: VS Raihan, some parts of VS Volkner, VS Rinto and earlier VS Sawyer and VS Nanu. There should be a balance, like how Ash was in DP, he pulled out his crazy stuff but still made tactical switches. I think a Master Trainer should use both styles and be able to judge what's most useful for the situation they're in.

Also, sorry guys but calling the Elesa battle as an example of Ash being strategic is almost disrespectful. That was more Ash following a gut that Elesa wouldn't be able to knock out Palpitoad. By that logic Cameron = Sawyer.

Last edited:

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

Reaction score
I don't mind Ash's battle style, however I agree that specially as of late it feels exaggerated to the point planning looks completely useless: VS Raihan, some parts of VS Volkner, VS Rinto and earlier VS Sawyer and VS Nanu. There should be a balance, like how Ash was in DP, he pulled out his crazy stuff but still made tactical switches. I think a Master Trainer should use both styles and be able to judge what's most useful for the situation they're in.

Also, sorry guys but calling the Elesa battle as an example of Ash being strategic is almost disrespectful. That was more Ash following a gut that Elesa wouldn't be able to knock out Palpitoad. By that logic Cameron = Sawyer.
And the times when Ash dominates throughout most of the match (vs Alain) he most likely loses. There was a stat that in the leagues (except for Sinnoh- Ash vs Paul and of course Ash vs Tobias subverted this trope) if Ash was struggling in the beginning he would win the match and if he was in control then he would lose and that bugs me.
Full health XY Ash-Greninja should be able to beat full health XY MCX so that fact that it lost makes zero sense, even more to the fact where they made Ash win the league the next season

LovelyChika123

Reaction score
I love Cynthia as a character, but she overstayed her return in this series prior to the Masters 8 Arc (I didn’t think her character was needed in JN083). I would like to think that Cynthia came back in these episodes because she’s so popular in this fanbase and the writers were pandering to the fanbase. A character being overused can hurt a character in the long run (Scrappy Doo is a perfect example of this).

LovelyChika123

Reaction score
My controversial opinion is that Pokémon is a children’s cartoon. It’s unrealistic for people to expect the child protagonists to be mature 100% of the time. They’re just kids. That’s why I enjoy it when Ash and his friends aren’t angels 100% of the time. It’s realistic. Children will make mistakes. That’s what makes their characters good.

PaperSplash

Pika, Pikachu! Kachu!
Reaction score
I love Cynthia as a character, but she overstayed her return in this series prior to the Masters 8 Arc (I didn’t think her character was needed in JN083). I would like to think that Cynthia came back in these episodes because she’s so popular in this fanbase and the writers were pandering to the fanbase. A character being overused can hurt a character in the long run (Scrappy Doo is a perfect example of this).
I've been wondering if the writers wanted to bring back Cynthia earlier in the Sun and Moon series (since she was in the Alola games) but decided against it since her Japanese voice actress (Tomo Sakurai) originally planned to retire shortly before SM premiered in 2016. But then in 2019, Tomo Sakurai announced that she was coming out of retirement, and she was brought back very shortly afterwards in the next Pokémon series to voice Chloe's mother. Which made me wonder if they were considering bringing back Cynthia for quite a while and jumped at the chance once her VA became available again.

Sai

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Cynthia only appears in the post-game of SM in the Battle Tree, and the anime usually ignores most post-game battle areas like that. I doubt Cynthia was ever going to appear in SM either way.

PaperSplash

Pika, Pikachu! Kachu!
Reaction score
Cynthia only appears in the post-game of SM in the Battle Tree, and the anime usually ignores most post-game battle areas like that. I doubt Cynthia was ever going to appear in SM either way.
If I remember correctly, you could only meet Cynthia post-game in BW as well.

Sai

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Lance and Steven were handled so poorly in OS and AG that it feels like the Champions were never depicted properly in the anime till Cynthia.

Lance was literally an afterthought in two villain arcs the second of which he took Steven's role from the games and screwed him over too. Journey's is the first time Lance was ever depicted as an actual champion

Top Bottom