• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I personally would have rather had 4Kids stick with Pokemon then have TCPI step in regardless of how much more faithful their scripts have been. The trade-off hardly seems worth it considering the new voice-actors aren't nearly as good, the scripts feel more hollow and less-interesting because of how rigidly they stick to the original(I have similar issues with Viz's dub of Sailor Moon compared to the DiC one) and they replace way more background music then 4Kids ever did(and the background music 4Kids did replace at least didn't sound too different from the original music to the point where I actually couldn't tell when music was changed from the original). Plus 4Kids probably would've been more open to uncut dub releases like they did with Yugioh and Shaman King, sure those didn't sell that well but an uncut Pokemon very well might've.

I personally would have rather had 4Kids stick with Pokemon then have TCPI step in regardless of how much more faithful their scripts have been. The trade-off hardly seems worth it considering the new voice-actors aren't nearly as good, the scripts feel more hollow and less-interesting because of how rigidly they stick to the original(I have similar issues with Viz's dub of Sailor Moon compared to the DiC one) and they replace way more background music then 4Kids ever did(and the background music 4Kids did replace at least didn't sound too different from the original music to the point where I actually couldn't tell when music was changed from the original). Plus 4Kids probably would've been more open to uncut dub releases like they did with Yugioh and Shaman King, sure those didn't sell that well but an uncut Pokemon very well might've.
Is it really accurate to call the TPCI new voice actors at this point? I can understand not liking their performances and preferring the 4Kids cast, but they've been working on the dub for over a decade at this point. They're not exactly new anymore.

I don't know about uncut Shaman King, but as far as I know, the sales for the uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVD weren't low, or at least weren't the reason why they stopped making them. It was due to the legal red tape surrounding Yugi's Japanese voice actor. I remember they had an employee answering questions on their official YouTube channel years ago confirming that the legal red tape was why they were forced to stop both the uncut DVDs and streaming the raw episodes on their channel as well. People were definitely excited to just get raw Japanese footage and it did lead to 4Kids eventually subbing other series. I also distinctly remember Amazon listing uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs volumes four, five and six for the longest time, so they most likely already had at least a good chuck of season one redubbed before having to scrap the project.

I'm not sure if 4Kids would have been able to do uncut Pokemon dub releases. It is an interesting thought and they might have considered it if they had been able to continue their uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! dub releases, but I'm less sure if TPCI would have been okay with that due to the franchise's family friendly image. If they haven't tried releasing legal subs since taking the anime license themselves, I'm not sure if they'd be more open to 4Kids doing it themselves. But I also have a hard time imagining 4Kids still having the license to dub the show long enough to even attempt any uncut Pokemon release.

Is it really accurate to call the TPCI new voice actors at this point? I can understand not liking their performances and preferring the 4Kids cast, but they've been working on the dub for over a decade at this point. They're not exactly new anymore.

I don't know about uncut Shaman King, but as far as I know, the sales for the uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVD weren't low, or at least weren't the reason why they stopped making them. It was due to the legal red tape surrounding Yugi's Japanese voice actor. I remember they had an employee answering questions on their official YouTube channel years ago confirming that the legal red tape was why they were forced to stop both the uncut DVDs and streaming the raw episodes on their channel as well. People were definitely excited to just get raw Japanese footage and it did lead to 4Kids eventually subbing other series. I also distinctly remember Amazon listing uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs volumes four, five and six for the longest time, so they most likely already had at least a good chuck of season one redubbed before having to scrap the project.

I'm not sure if 4Kids would have been able to do uncut Pokemon dub releases. It is an interesting thought and they might have considered it if they had been able to continue their uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! dub releases, but I'm less sure if TPCI would have been okay with that due to the franchise's family friendly image. If they haven't tried releasing legal subs since taking the anime license themselves, I'm not sure if they'd be more open to 4Kids doing it themselves. But I also have a hard time imagining 4Kids still having the license to dub the show long enough to even attempt any uncut Pokemon release.
Technically true but you know what I mean.
I am actually aware of those legal issues, but I heard the sales for those uncut DVDs also weren't very good so 4Kids were probably relieved they had an actual legit excuse to stop doing them, from what I read on Yugioh Uncensored those uncut DVDs weren't marketed that well as they weren't stocked in mainstream stores like Borders or Best Buy, they were in niche anime stores aimed at hardcore Otakus so the casual dub fans who weren't aware of the original show never bought them.
There was actually a trailer for volume 4 of Yugioh uncut which someone in the lost media wiki found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjAR84ncJDE

I agree about Sceptile, because, if I'm not mistaken, it only reaches this evolutionary stage in the Battle Frontier. The grass starter had a lot of protagonism shared with Pikachu and Swellow in that generation, only at the end he emerged as a true ace.

Charizard, on the other hand, was able, in johto, to tease, along with Ash, several Pokémon and trainers at the beginning of that season. And, in the end, he was too the one who defeated half of Gary's team in Silver Conference in a 1-3 situation. This, not to mention the role of Pokémon in Kanto and in some films, especially the third.

I know Infernape was overhyped, especially, in the final part of Sinnoh, but I think the hype was well handled in that time, unlike what would come later.
I believe he was talking about the fact Ash lost against Blaziken (even though *Ritchie's got to count).. so in a way he was the obvious ace and it was all on him - but Ash lost. Even thought he did arguebly shine enough. Sceptile won also against Darkrai just for Ash to lose, even though he wasn't hyped as Charizard.

On the other hand, I must say Lycanroc didn't get to be the obvious ace till the very end. Maybe you could say all SM but the unevolved Rowlet had the same chance to shine as the regional ace. Mainly because how there werent Gyms or many battle exp trainers in that region. He did win his last battle and so Ash won the league. He could win Gmax Zard but No one is talking about him (currently but also then) as much as Infernape is treated. Not saying any word about the fallen Kalos one...

I believe he was talking about the fact Ash lost against Blaziken (even though *Ritchie's got to count).. so in a way he was the obvious ace and it was all on him - but Ash lost. Even thought he did arguebly shine enough. Sceptile won also against Darkrai just for Ash to lose, even though he wasn't hyped as Charizard.

Honestly, I don't think the fact that Pokemon loses a battle or not during the league and fails to make Ash a champion adds much to the discussion of the overhype regarding Ash's Aces. I think this point is only relevant as far as the Kalos League and Greninja are concerned.

Maybe, to a lesser extent, it has some importance around Charizard too, as I believe that, on the part of many, there was a legitimate expectation, albeit naive, that Ash could win the Silver Conference, but not much in other cases.

In the league of Hoenn, for instance, there wasn't much expectation that Ash would win the league or that his Pokemon were extraordinary. In Sinnoh, while expectations were higher, as soon as Tobias was announced, we knew Ash wasn't going to win anything.

At my point of view, the fact that Infernape did not participate in that battle, that is, was not defeated by Tobias, has very little relevance. It seems certain to me that, if the fire monkey had participated, it would replicate, at most, the same feat achieved by Sceptile, and Ash would have lost the same way. On the other hand, putting Sceptile in that battle was, in my view, an attempt by the producers to, in the end, elevate him to the same echelon with Charizard and Infernape in popular memory.

The big inflection point of Sinnoh's Arch was Ash triumphing, both in battle and on the field of rhetoric, over Paul, and not winning the League per se. It was more about Paul not being allowed to win, than Ash/Infernape not being allowed to lose.

Last edited:
I was grown tired of Brock's crush gag way too earlier than his departure. Not that I dislike him or anything, but I was genuinely glad when he was written off from the main cast. It was quite difficult for me to bear with his overly-expressive crush gag especially during the D&P run.

Last edited:
I was grown tired of Brock's crush gag way too earlier than his departure. Not that I dislike him or anything, but I was genuinely glad when he was written off from the main cast. It was quite difficult for me to bear with his overly-expressive crush gag especially during the D&P run.
I always felt that was a symptom of one of the pokeani's greatest sins: the overusage of gags.

Pokéani's humour has always been heavily gag-based, which personally always bothered me, tbh. It's like they do something once that ends up being funny and then they just keep on kicking it long past it's death because they don't know how to make humour without a pre-made mold. At least it basically came to an end these days now that Brock is out of the picture.

I always felt that was a symptom of one of the pokeani's greatest sins: the overusage of gags.

Pokéani's humour has always been heavily gag-based, which personally always bothered me, tbh. It's like they do something once that ends up being funny and then they just keep on kicking it long past it's death because they don't know how to make humour without a pre-made mold. At least it basically came to an end these days now that Brock is out of the picture.
Some running gags are funny enough that I don't mind, like in Pokemon Advanced series whenever Team Rocket have imagine spots about the uses Giovanni might have for a Pokemon they bring him, those always cracked me up(especially the one about Psyduck).

Some running gags are funny enough that I don't mind, like in Pokemon Advanced series whenever Team Rocket have imagine spots about the uses Giovanni might have for a Pokemon they bring him, those always cracked me up(especially the one about Psyduck).
I liked the one with Articuno. Like, sure guys. I'm sure the leader of a criminal organization looking to acquire powerful Pokémon to take over the world would use a legendary Pokemon to cool off on a hot summer day.

I liked the one with Articuno. Like, sure guys. I'm sure the leader of a criminal organization looking to acquire powerful Pokémon to take over the world would use a legendary Pokemon to cool off on a hot summer day.
I also liked the one with Donphan.

The manga is severely overrated and overhyped. No, kids, half the characters being psuedo-Hitler or child abusers and ~aRvOk dEcApItAtIoN~ does not make a manga that's still for children any better or mature than the anime.
Most of the people who spout that nonsense probably never read past the first few volumes and are best ignored.
Speaking of the manga, Red from the adventures manga is the most overrated pokemon character ever. Yes, I said it.
How. Literally how. Who on this planet even talks about him that much nowadays.

How. Literally how. Who on this planet even talks about him that much nowadays.
Red's largely considered to be a great character by the manga's fanbase as well as many other people. He may not be talked about that much but the adventures fanbase still praises him and say he's an amazingly well-developed character.

Back
Top Bottom