• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

While I am more understanding of what people like about Iris she is definitively the worst character in the series because she did long term damage to it. The fact that Ash's journey was so long meant that his character development could be incredibly slow but consequently incredibly believable and natural. However since Ash character was regressed to make Iris character gimmicks work it actively destroyed the authenticity of his character. His character is now whatever the goal was for the current series. He stopped feeling like the same character. Iris' rise to champion was also exceedingly abrupt compared to how godly mere elite 4 members were treated before her introduction. Even if you think her prodigy factor justifies it (which it doesn't), she lost in halfway through the current series. Meaning the "champion level" we waited 20 years for Ash to reach was reached by his new team in less episodes than season 1. Charizard was at a special snowflake training camp for longer that only took him to the fucking quarter finals of the johto league.

While I am more understanding of what people like about Iris she is definitively the worst character in the series because she did long term damage to it. The fact that Ash's journey was so long meant that his character development could be incredibly slow but consequently incredibly believable and natural. However since Ash character was regressed to make Iris character gimmicks work it actively destroyed the authenticity of his character.
Ash's character wasn't changed to make Iris's character work, it's because Ash was changed that Iris is like that.
The story, characters etc... are centered around Ash, not the opposite.
(I am not speculating, it's true, for instance the writers said the entire slice of life setting of SM was chosen to make Ash grow as a person)

for instance the writers said the entire slice of life setting of SM was chosen to make Ash grow as a person
I have a problem here, though. Although Ash has accomplished a bunch of milestones in the series, I don't see how he actually grew as a person. He was the same person in the last episode of the series as the first episode of the series. He has always been a semi-goofy boy who loves the Pokémon and helps them in tough times no matter what. He is a great friend who is always loyal, helpful and cheerful. He loves battles by the end of the series as much as he did in the beginning of the series. He did not grow as a character in that sense, he just remained the same unbroken person throughout it.

I have a problem here, though. Although Ash has accomplished a bunch of milestones in the series, I don't see how he actually grew as a person. He was the same person in the last episode of the series as the first episode of the series. He has always been a semi-goofy boy who loves the Pokémon and helps them in tough times no matter what. He is a great friend who is always loyal, helpful and cheerful. He loves battles by the end of the series as much as he did in the beginning of the series. He did not grow as a character in that sense, he just remained the same unbroken person throughout it.

More like grow backwards
Guys I didn't say it worked... I just brought up what the writers said...

Regardless of whether the chicken or the egg came first in this scenario they are related and long term consequences have hatched. The main character feels like 4 completely different characters OS-AG-DP/BW/XY/SM-JN. When you're looking at Ash's journey as hole that's a huge blow that can't be understated. I don't remember him using punch and explosion noises to explain stuff in earlier series. That's an incredibly unique character quirk and something that would make more sense for freaking Barry/Jun.

Regardless of whether the chicken or the egg came first in this scenario they are related and long term consequences have hatched. The main character feels like 4 completely different characters OS-AG-DP/BW/XY/SM-JN. When you're looking at Ash's journey as hole that's a huge blow that can't be understated. I don't remember him using punch and explosion noises to explain stuff in earlier series. That's an incredibly unique character quirk and something that would make more sense for freaking Barry/Jun.
So what ? That wasn't the point of my comment, you were blaming Iris for something even though it isn't her fault at all, it's not Iris who changes Ash, it's the writers who conceived BW Ash.
And even without Iris BW Ash is different from how he was in the previous series.

Last edited:
Ash doesn't need his old reliables to be strong. If anything, him raising a new team every time shows how well he can train his Pokémon.

Imo, thats the definiton of being a Pokemon Master: Raising Pokemon to be strong... letting them Master their full potentials.

Ash-Greninja: The only Ace to NEVER beat two mons in the same battle on screen. Also the only ace to be hard carried by Pikachu and still loose and has ABYSMAL durability, stamina, and endurance

I'm very, very tired of the "Will Ash leave?"/"Will Goh leave?"/"Will the anime continue?" debates. The 3rd one as alliviated a little through some semi-oficial statements, but the others keep going and going in circles with the same arguments for more than a month now. The thing is that I don't really blame the fandom much as the marketing itself. Instead of taking advantage of the good publicity of the Masters Eight finale and tease what could come in a new series, they just kept announcing regular episodes as if nothing had happened and haven't confirmed anything about the future of the show. And now they just leave their usual magazine lists with "TBA" titles...really? are the things that bad in the production department they can't even confirm they'll be able to air an episode in two weeks?

If tomorrow we get yet another episode that solves nothing story-wise and has zero special announcements I'll leave the sub-fandom for a while.

I'm very, very tired of the "Will Ash leave?"/"Will Goh leave?"/"Will the anime continue?" debates. The 3rd one as alliviated a little through some semi-oficial statements, but the others keep going and going in circles with the same arguments for more than a month now. The thing is that I don't really blame the fandom much as the marketing itself. Instead of taking advantage of the good publicity of the Masters Eight finale and tease what could come in a new series, they just kept announcing regular episodes as if nothing had happened and haven't confirmed anything about the future of the show. And now they just leave their usual magazine lists with "TBA" titles...really? are the things that bad in the production department they can't even confirm they'll be able to air an episode in two weeks?

If tomorrow we get yet another episode that solves nothing story-wise and has zero special announcements I'll leave the sub-fandom for a while.
I can't even begin to describe how frustrating this has been. Both things actually. The fact that the anime production team has been hiding what the future of the anime looks like and the constant arguments.

I understand that production issues have occurred, but the fact that they've been hiding this much from us is extremely frustrating. The only thing we've gotten confirmed is that Ash's adventures aren't over and they recently said they'd say more during another broadcast. The fact that they've kept the future of the anime hidden from us is extremely frustrating, and honestly, its been a bad move on their part. I mean seriously. Why do you need to hide episode titles like this? Why can't you just say what the future of the anime looks like? Here we've constantly had to go through the arguments of whether Journeys will continue or not, and its gotten ridiculous when you have certain people acting like its confirmed, despite no official confirmation or actual evidence.

Its been making these last several weeks here quite draining. Its the same thing almost every day.

I can't even begin to describe how frustrating this has been. Both things actually. The fact that the anime production team has been hiding what the future of the anime looks like and the constant arguments.

I understand that production issues have occurred, but the fact that they've been hiding this much from us is extremely frustrating. The only thing we've gotten confirmed is that Ash's adventures aren't over and they recently said they'd say more during another broadcast. The fact that they've kept the future of the anime hidden from us is extremely frustrating, and honestly, its been a bad move on their part. I mean seriously. Why do you need to hide episode titles like this? Why can't you just say what the future of the anime looks like? Here we've constantly had to go through the arguments of whether Journeys will continue or not, and its gotten ridiculous when you have certain people acting like its confirmed, despite no official confirmation or actual evidence.

Its been making these last several weeks here quite draining. Its the same thing almost every day.
They have to be hiding something BIG, like a timeskip.
Or it’s nothing and Ash is still ten so them revealing nothing was bait.

At this point, the debates are mainly about whether or not Goh will leave. Getting more episode titles and especially that comment confirming that Ash's adventures will continue pretty much ended the first and third questions. Although, I can already picture some fans asking if Ash will be replaced in another year or two.

The lack of information or announcements has bothered me too. I was so disappointed that they didn't announce anything last week partly because we would have had something more solid than episode titles or interview comments to speculate on. I can believe that things are really that difficult behind the scenes. Having no announcements just makes me think that they're still dealing with some production problems after all of those clip shows. I don't know why they couldn't at least reveal a poster or title after Ash vs. Leon though since you'd think that they'd be able to do that at least.

I would love to wake up to some news tomorrow morning for the anime, but I don't have much hope for that happening at the moment. While they did say that they would have more news in an upcoming broadcast, I still feel like they would do more to hype up an announcement beyond that. It is still reassuring to know that Ash's adventures will continue and that they will provide more information in the not too distant future, but I wish that they would make an announcement sooner rather than later.

They have to be hiding something BIG, like a timeskip.
Or it’s nothing and Ash is still ten so them revealing nothing was bait.
They aren't going to have a time skip. I don't think that having Ash still ten would mean that revealing nothing was bait either. They didn't promise anything about a time skip or a marriage to Serena. That was all on fans like you getting their hopes up on absolutely nothing.

They aren't going to have a time skip. I don't think that having Ash still ten would mean that revealing nothing was bait either. They didn't promise anything about a time skip or a marriage to Serena. That was all on fans like you getting their hopes up on absolutely nothing.
Especially since that romantic relationship was entirely one-sided anyway.

I'm frustrated as well, but I believe the reason they haven't announced anything is simply because they aren't ready to do so. That might sound ridiculous at this point, but think about it: if they're short-staffed and struggling to the point of needing frequent breaks during the climax of the story, they're not going to have the spare staff/time to work on marketing material for a new show. Even episode summaries are frequently late at the moment.

Trailers take a surprising amount of work, not least because what's put in has to be good enough to show off to the general audience. The team then has to polish one or more specific sections of their upcoming episodes to make it TV-ready before those episodes are even completed. In an ideal world, they'd have a few episodes good to go by this point, but clearly this isn't an ideal world and they're struggling with their current schedule.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to lift some of the pressure on the staff by keeping things quiet. Easy for us to say they should drop a title or some key artwork or something, but the last thing they'll want right now is to ratchet up expectations or draw ire because people aren't into their new stuff... especially if it's something a little bit different and unexpected. I like to think they learned from the SM debacle and won't do something like drop a poster when fans are angry about something.

You know, I saw some talking about their disappointment that Ash didn't get a party thrown for him back at Pallet Town. I saw a post talking about how a party was thrown for him when he reached the Top 16 in the Indigo Conference, and how a few Palett Town residents that weren't named Delia Ketchum or Professor Oak showed up. This makes me realize his truly lifeless the world can feel compared to back then. I mean let's look back at JN004 and JN048 when Ash and Goh were in Wyndon and Castelia City respectably. The cities were so empty. Go back to the days of the OS and you'd see cities like Goldenrod City protrayed as a large busy city with plenty of people. Nowadays it would be scaled back to appear smaller or closer to the games while there'd be maybe 1 or 2 extras wandering the streets. Now back to Ash's return to Pallet Town, seeing how they handled a Top 16 win in a regional conference compared to being declared Champion in a world wide tournament is a huge disappointment. I mean they couldn't at least have Brock, Misty, Tracy, and Gary? Maybe even a few nameless extras there for a party? Instead its just Oak and Delia, along with Ash's Pokemon. That's disappointing and truly shows how much lifeless the world can feel these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom