• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I enjoy the Pokémon anime for the journey, not the destination. It is just that kind of series that does not build up for a big conclusion in the end, but just to carry on in a form or another afterwards.

That means I enjoy the Best Wishes! series and the Unova league does not take the joy that I've had during the series away from me. Some of my favorite Pokémon from Ash's team are from this series. I think Snivy had a really fun gimmick with the move Attract and she should have been the ace of Ash's Unova team, having trouble with female opponents only, or genderless ones. I am surprised that Attract has never been given as a gimmick to any Pokémon like it was given to Snivy since Gen II. Snivy's rivalry with Emolga made things a bit more interesting. Scraggy was a fun addition to the cast. They had a really colorful team members and they often interacted with each other, like most other series did not.

I enjoy the Pokémon anime for the journey, not the destination. It is just that kind of series that does not build up for a big conclusion in the end, but just to carry on in a form or another afterwards.

That means I enjoy the Best Wishes! series and the Unova league does not take the joy that I've had during the series away from me. Some of my favorite Pokémon from Ash's team are from this series. I think Snivy had a really fun gimmick with the move Attract and she should have been the ace of Ash's Unova team, having trouble with female opponents only, or genderless ones. I am surprised that Attract has never been given as a gimmick to any Pokémon like it was given to Snivy since Gen II. Snivy's rivalry with Emolga made things a bit more interesting. Scraggy was a fun addition to the cast. They had a really colorful team members and they often interacted with each other, like most other series did not.
I agree with you. Despite it copying Season 1, I think it’s still a great series. And I liked this part where Snivy and Emolga uses Attract on each other, only to realize they’re both girls (what an extremely sad move on TPCI’s part, but none of us were in the later 2010s, right?).
Anyway, yeah, Ash should’ve had Snivy as his ace, so we could get to know more about her.

TPCi’s dub had even worse script writing than that of 4Kids, overall: it’s robotic Google Translated on a good day, and on a bad day, it manages to be more obnoxious and annoying than 4Kids was most of the time. Meowth was especially adversely affected by the switch, all the “Dig it” and “Lugs” were just awful.

They literally took one of the minor writers from the later 4Kids Era, promoted him while getting rid of the rest, and proceeded to let him butcher Team Rocket into a parody of their former selves for most sagas outside BF and early BW (“Primo perps,” “Primo Pokémon,” “Forming a formidable army is inevitable for our Kalos Kingdom,” “Ya dig,” “As long as I’m on the mound, you’re out bound,” had Ash saying outdated 1990s slang (“I’m totally psyched,” “Reminds me a’me,” “A’course,” “Step on the gas,” “I’m bushed,” “Show em some of that ol pepper,” “Raise the roof,” etc.), Brock rhyming in DP, made up words like “Honey-licious” etc. also while getting rid of the adult humor esque jokes the dub would previously sneak in via the Rockets.

(It’s popular to prefer the 4Kids dub overall for its voice acting, longer in length intros, and retaining more of the Japanese OST even at their worst than TPCi’s dub did overall, but this isn’t, yet I stand by it- MoMP’s dub script was one of the worst ever made, and things haven’t gotten much better since)

Last edited:
TPCi’s dub had even worse script writing than that of 4Kids, overall: it’s robotic Google Translated on a good day, and on a bad day, it manages to be more obnoxious and annoying than 4Kids was most of the time. Meowth was especially adversely affected by the switch, all the “Dig it” and “Lugs” were just awful.

They literally took one of the minor writers from the later 4Kids Era, promoted him while getting rid of the rest, and proceeded to let him butcher Team Rocket into a parody of their former selves for most sagas outside BF and early BW (“Primo perps,” “Primo Pokémon,” “Forming a formidable army is inevitable for our Kalos Kingdom,” “Ya dig,” “As long as I’m on the mound, you’re out bound,” had Ash saying outdated 1990s slang (“I’m totally psyched,” “Reminds me a’me,” “A’course,” “Step on the gas,” “I’m bushed,” “Show em some of that ol pepper,” “Raise the roof,” etc.), Brock rhyming in DP, made up words like “Honey-licious” etc. also while getting rid of the adult humor esque jokes the dub would previously sneak in via the Rockets.
I kinda like some of it though-
In all seriousness, it does sound kinda strange and not really anything even myself would say.
And the “honey-licious” one? Firstly, when the heck was that said (episode)? That seems a bit inappropriate for a kids show (how are parents not concerned about that? Given they have also listened to a song that has “licious” in it, you can look it up and listen to it or read the lyrics for it).
(It’s popular to prefer the 4Kids dub overall for its voice acting, longer in length intros, and retaining more of the Japanese OST even at their worst than TPCi’s dub did overall, but this isn’t, yet I stand by it- MoMP’s dub script was one of the worst ever made, and things haven’t gotten much better since)
I prefer the 4Kids dubs because I like how they dub stuff (sure, the unnecessary censhorship is a thing, but that’s not really what matters at the end of the day, right?).

Liko is a tad bit uninteresting

And some calling her deep and complex are clearly watching a different show imo

Liko is a tad bit uninteresting

And some calling her deep and complex are clearly watching a different show imo
…Uh, how so? I don’t think she’s uninteresting in any way. I just find her to be introverted (like me) and unsure about how to go about her life in the Pokémon World lol.

We’re only in about 12 episodes of it so maybe there could be character development for her down the line? Idk as I haven’t been keeping up with the series-

…Uh, how so? I don’t think she’s uninteresting in any way. I just find her to be introverted (like me) and unsure about how to go about her life in the Pokémon World lol.

We’re only in about 12 episodes of it so maybe there could be character development for her down the line? Idk as I haven’t been keeping up with the series-
Perhaps some people look for different things when it comes to characters?

I still think that calling Liko introverted doesn't really make sense. I haven't seen much of Horizons, but she comes off as shy girl, which isn't really the same thing as being introverted. Being unsure about what she wants to to in the Pokemon World can be an interesting hook or setup for her character, but I don't think it's as interesting as it could be, at least on paper. They did the same kind of premise with both Serena and Chloe.

It's true that there will probably be some character development down the road and it is still relatively early in the series' run, assuming that it will have another 100+ episode run like most of the other previous series had. At the same time, twelve episodes is still plenty of time to get a good impression of the characters and the story up to this point.

I still think that calling Liko introverted doesn't really make sense. I haven't seen much of Horizons, but she comes off as shy girl, which isn't really the same thing as being introverted. Being unsure about what she wants to to in the Pokemon World can be an interesting hook or setup for her character, but I don't think it's as interesting as it could be, at least on paper. They did the same kind of premise with both Serena and Chloe.

It's true that there will probably be some character development down the road and it is still relatively early in the series' run, assuming that it will have another 100+ episode run like most of the other previous series had. At the same time, twelve episodes is still plenty of time to get a good impression of the characters and the story up to this point.
Thank you for saying this, I'm tired of people calling her introverted when she really isn't lol. She is just shy and low confidence. But that doesn't automatically mean introverted

Introversion is just your battery being recharged when your alone (to simplify it). Liko doesn't seem to get tired socializing with others

Heck dot is the introverted one lol

I just feel like she is a bit passive in her quest to find about the pendant and compared to other characters, I find her not as interesting tbh.

Her introspection is nice, but she doesn't really draw in attention like characters such as friede and amethio. Her character archetype is something I've seen countless times and it's easy for them to be really boring because their shy nature can make it simple for them to take a back seat in the story at times

And I just feel people are calling her deep because they compared her to ash. Which means nothing tbh

And I disagree on her being introverted

I kinda like some of it though-
In all seriousness, it does sound kinda strange and not really anything even myself would say.
And the “honey-licious” one? Firstly, when the heck was that said (episode)? That seems a bit inappropriate for a kids show (how are parents not concerned about that? Given they have also listened to a song that has “licious” in it, you can look it up and listen to it or read the lyrics for it).

I prefer the 4Kids dubs because I like how they dub stuff (sure, the unnecessary censhorship is a thing, but that’s not really what matters at the end of the day, right?).
Sun and Moon’s dub, from TRio, as you’d expect. There’s also stuff like “Posters with the mosters” dialogue recently that makes me even feel appreciation for the cheese that was “Pedal to the meddle” in the old dub. And then there was another one like “Scrumptchy” which isn’t a word, as well, they manage to write things in such a weird way that no real person would say this stuff in real life.

I think almost everything was better pre change save the censorship (4Kids’ old dub deserves all the praise it gets relative to TPCi’s current dub these days, even if it was still obviously flawed as well but not nearly as unbearable or grating like this stuff has been imo), but that also has been back since late XY, SM and JN pretty much have 4Kids tier edits/censors (one genuinely actually worse in Ash not being allowed to have his head frozen anymore whereas he was in the 4Kids Era, Jesus).

Thank you for saying this, I'm tired of people calling her introverted when she really isn't lol. She is just shy and low confidence. But that doesn't automatically mean introverted

Introversion is just your battery being recharged when your alone (to simplify it). Liko doesn't seem to get tired socializing with others

Heck dot is the introverted one lol
Yeah, I think people tend to treat introverted and shy as being the same thing, which I can understand, but there's nothing about Liko, from what I can tell at least, that she would prefer being by herself over socializing or that she needs time to recharge after hanging out with her friends. Dot seems more typical introverted by comparison.

Liko is just not a very interesting character to me in general. She's cute and I don't dislike her or anything, but I just don't care about anything she's doing because...she's not really doing a whole lot to begin with. We've already seen characters not really know what they want to do with themselves in this show, it's nothing new. I've been seeing people (typically people who didn't like or were really tired of Ash) hype her up a lot as being "OMG SO MUCH DEEPER/BETTER THAN ASH" but man I'm just not seeing it. I hope as the series goes on I start to like her more.

Agreed that she's definitely not introverted, though, and that this is yet another example of people thinking shy and introverted are the same thing lol

Yeah, I think people tend to treat introverted and shy as being the same thing, which I can understand, but there's nothing about Liko, from what I can tell at least, that she would prefer being by herself over socializing or that she needs time to recharge after hanging out with her friends. Dot seems more typical introverted by comparison.
I agree . It's the just the common internet trope of introverted= shy, smart, awkward

Liko is just not a very interesting character to me in general. She's cute and I don't dislike her or anything, but I just don't care about anything she's doing because...she's not really doing a whole lot to begin with. We've already seen characters not really know what they want to do with themselves in this show, it's nothing new. I've been seeing people (typically people who didn't like or were really tired of Ash) hype her up a lot as being "OMG SO MUCH DEEPER/BETTER THAN ASH" but man I'm just not seeing it. I hope as the series goes on I start to like her more.

Agreed that she's definitely not introverted, though, and that this is yet another example of people thinking shy and introverted are the same thing lol
Yeah I agree. Liko isn't bad but not interesting. I think my issue with Lillie is that the stuff surrounding her (pendant, grandma, volt tacklers, chasers , Rayquaza) are interesting but her character itself is pretty uninteresting in comparison

Like plop her in a normal school setting and I think some people would realize how much the plot is carrying her

Like I have many issues with how Ash is written, especially post DP Ash, but I wouldn't really say he is carried by the plot. He himself is usually a driving force in th story. Compared to liko, who her uncertainty of herself and future easily makes her passive in the story

While more interesting characters like friede draw the viewer in more

Yeah.
I haven’t really watched much DP, so I haven’t really seen that, but I agree with you.
My bad. I just figured she just had six and didn’t release any of them (mainly because once again, I haven’t really watched much DP).

Sarah Natochenny’s Ash began deteriorating a little before SM is one, for me, a lot of people have pointed out on Reddit’s forums that it started getting more effeminate and higher pitched there vs mid DP onward, but the gruff and rasp came back by the last season of XY IMO (you can hear it most visibly in the, “I really care about this world” scene in XYZ which is also when TPCi began bringing back the 4Kids tier editing/censorship as trivia, before the voice cracks full blown into a grown woman’s when she says, “You won’t destroy it, no WAY.”). Whether this is because of Lisa Ortiz’s questionable direction or not, I don’t know…

I’m a bit floored some people think Veronica Taylor was ever that grating in the role be it at her start or end, at any point I did not think that low of her rendition of Ash: while I thought it was at its most high pitched in Orange Islands through Early Johto, even there she managed to at least sound like a boy consistently regardless IMO. Taylor had far less time than Natochenny in the role, yet still did a better performance to me like most, and I think that in large part is due to having actually competent vocal direction as well as consistency.

Another controversial one, Kayzie Rogers was better as Pokémon than humans in this Series.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom