• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

See I actually do watch the show for the people first and the Pokemon second, but like...the show is literally called Pokemon. They should be the main focus. It's weird that we've gotten to the point where they...kind of aren't.
Yeah honestly at this point it does not even matter how faithful the dub is if the original show is so heavily flawed to begin with, you can't fix that level of broken story-telling.

IMG_1525.jpeg

While this is a joke, it’s kinda sad just how accurate this picture really is the last bit aside.

What is interesting to me about this people first, Pokémon second approach is that they had a unique way to explore that with a character from Journeys: Chloe. She wasn't interested in Pokémon or at least Pokémon research at the start of the series. She could have explored various avenues about the world unrelated to Pokémon or tangentially related to Pokémon. And come to an idea about what she would what to do and maybe get a Pokémon near the end of the series. Instead, she is unsure about what she wants to do, gets an Eevee that is also unsure about what it wants to do, briefly explores avenues related to Eevee, and the series decides to make her a research partner like Ash and Goh were to give her some form of closure.

Last edited:
I think one thing Horizons may have going for it is how they adapt Terapagos and its significance.

Spoiler Warning for the Indigo Disk DLC!

I was rather disappointed with how Terapagos was handled in the games. it felt tacked on as a plot point following the events at the academy, which took up more time. Briar having the unredacted copy of Heath's book that happens to have an account of Terapagos felt awfully contrived, and her lack of plan regarding what to do when she actually found it was embarrassing. What is Terapagos exactly? Is it a Pokémon or extraterrestrial lifeform? How does it make terastal energy and have the power to travel through time (the latter which has previously only been associated with Celebi & Dialga, Pokémon explicitly associated with time)? How does it relate to Tera Shards? Are there more of the species? What is its temperament like? What are its two forms? Etc. etc. In my opinion, they just didn't give it the same love & focus Ogrepon received, which is less than stellar. What were given one could easily surmise or already knew.

Because of all of that, I feel like Horizons has the potential to expand on Terapagos' agency and lore; or at least address several of my questions if not all of them. I suppose a couple techically are as we have seen a bit of Terapagos' disposition. They could also take it in a direction similar to Zygarde from XYZ regarding an adaptation. Maybe the writers will have that freedom since Terapagos was vaguely presented as a character in-game. That would be something cool at least, amid all the other less than stellar writing choices the show is currently giving imo.

Because of all of that, I feel like Horizons has the potential to expand on Terapagos' agency and lore; or at least address several of my questions if not all of them. I suppose a couple techically are as we have seen a bit of Terapagos' disposition. They could also take it in a direction similar to Zygarde from XYZ regarding an adaptation. Maybe the writers will have that freedom since Terapagos was vaguely presented as a character in-game. That would be something cool at least, amid all the other less than stellar writing choices the show is currently giving imo.
I sure hope they go that route, because like you said, the writing choices are definitely less than stellar currently.

What is interesting to me about this people first, Pokémon second approach is that they had a unique way to explore that with a character from Journeys: Chloe. She wasn't interested in Pokémon or at least Pokémon research at the start of the series. She could have explored various avenues about the world unrelated to Pokémon or tangentially related to Pokémon. And come to an idea about what she would what to do and maybe get a Pokémon near the end of the series. Instead, she is unsure about what she wants to do, gets an Eevee that is also unsure about what it wants to do, briefly explores avenues related to Eevee, and the series decides to make her a research partner like Ash and Goh were to give her some form of closure.
Honestly, THIS is the reason I had hope for Chloe as a character. Even if they at least wanted to focus on a concept that was tangentially related to Pokemon and they had to give her an Eevee, they have many ideas as to how they could take this idea. Maybe Chloe could have been a photographer or artist, or a caretaker type of character, or hell, maybe even a writer like in that fanfic. But nah, they just show off the Eeveelutions, then have her become a research partner. The one thing at the start of the series she didn't want to become. What the fuck? That just completely renders her arc useless because she doesn't change.

I think that the fact that Chloe becomes a research partner is a sign that she's changed. She went from feeling indifferent towards Pokemon, slowly becoming more interested in them over the course of Journeys' first year and then becoming a trainer when she bonded with Eevee. Now I'm not saying that her storyline was perfect. I liked most of her episodes, even if just limiting her to showcasing Eeveelutions after she became a trainer was annoying, but to say that Chloe didn't change is just not accurate.

How does it make terastal energy and have the power to travel through time (the latter which has previously only been associated with Celebi & Dialga, Pokémon explicitly associated with time)?

to be fair this one is pretty par roe the course, we dont know why any legendary pokemon have their powers they just do. Even as recent as Eternatus,  why can it create dynamax energy? Who knows its just... able to, Terapagos is probably the same

I think that the fact that Chloe becomes a research partner is a sign that she's changed. She went from feeling indifferent towards Pokemon, slowly becoming more interested in them over the course of Journeys' first year and then becoming a trainer when she bonded with Eevee. Now I'm not saying that her storyline was perfect. I liked most of her episodes, even if just limiting her to showcasing Eeveelutions after she became a trainer was annoying, but to say that Chloe didn't change is just not accurate.
Plus when it really comes down to it, being a research fellow doesn’t necessarily mean that that’s her path as a trainer, it’s basically a subclass that allows her to travel the world and experience what it has to offer and in time find what it is that she wants to be. She’s not a researcher, she’s just helping her father with his research. Just as how Ash being a research fellow didn’t overtake his path towards becoming a Pokémon Master and Goh his path towards catching Mew.

About the "Pokémon in the human world", I have this problem too. And what made it worse was that they talked about real-life issues in the Hatenna episode when Dot talked about cyberbullying. I don’t want to have this topic talked over in Pokémon.

Last edited:
About the "Pokémon in the human world", I have this problem too. And what made it worse was that they talked about real-life issues in the Hatenna episode when Liko talked about cyberbullying. I don’t want to have this topic talked over in Pokémon.
yeah that sounds pretty out of place and feels like a way too late attempt for Pokemon to be hip and appeal to younger audiences.

Iris should have beaten Cynthia.

Personally I don't really care about Cynthia being incredibly popular and seen as "among the greatest" she is incredibly overrated beyond belief and I don't like how they used her popularity to shrug off the opporunity to make what would have been a much better direction for the end of Ash's journey.

Aside from Brock, Iris arguably went through the most development of any traveling companion Ash had she went from a new trainer who frequently annoyed Ash over being "a kid" and strugging to form a meaningful connection with Pokémon of her specialty to a Champion who learned very well how to bond with her speciality Pokémon and matured to give her friends more respect. Cynthia was her biggest mentor and the trainer Iris always looked up to most. Now that Iris is Champion level, she had the chance to finally defeat Cynthia in battle. Iris beating Cynthia would have given significant closure to one of the most major characters in the Pokémon anime series.

This would have also made Ash's semifinals match much more significant to his overall journey. Instead of facing off Champions he didn't have as much of a direct connection with he could have had tough battles against people he considered as his closest friends. Alain in Round 1, Iris in Round 2. Ash could have toughed it out to beat both and the two could have cheered him on in order to beat Leon, and all 3 of these major characters would have gotten more proper conclusions than what we got instead, where we got random Champions who never had as significant of a role in the anime completely overtake ones we've seen come so far.

EDIT: YOOOO
ROUND 1: ASH VS DIANTHA, STEVEN VS LANCE, IRIS VS CYNTHIA, ALAIN VS LEON
SEMIFINALS: ASH VS IRIS, ALAIN VS STEVEN
FINALS: ASH VS ALAIN

THIS MASTERS 8 SETUP WOULD HAVE LITERALLY BEEN PERFECT FOR CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT IN THE ANIME. NOW I'M MAD UPON REALIZING THAT LOL.

Last edited:
Iris should have beaten Cynthia.

Personally I don't really care about Cynthia being incredibly popular and seen as "among the greatest" she is incredibly overrated beyond belief and I don't like how they used her popularity to shrug off the opporunity to make what would have been a much better direction for the end of Ash's journey.

Aside from Brock, Iris arguably went through the most development of any traveling companion Ash had she went from a new trainer who frequently annoyed Ash over being "a kid" and strugging to form a meaningful connection with Pokémon of her specialty to a Champion who learned very well how to bond with her speciality Pokémon and matured to give her friends more respect. Cynthia was her biggest mentor and the trainer Iris always looked up to most. Now that Iris is Champion level, she had the chance to finally defeat Cynthia in battle. Iris beating Cynthia would have given significant closure to one of the most major characters in the Pokémon anime series.

This would have also made Ash's semifinals match much more significant to his overall journey. Instead of facing off Champions he didn't have as much of a direct connection with he could have had tough battles against people he considered as his closest friends. Alain in Round 1, Iris in Round 2. Ash could have toughed it out to beat both and the two could have cheered him on in order to beat Leon, and all 3 of these major characters would have gotten more proper conclusions than what we got instead, where we got random Champions who never had as significant of a role in the anime completely overtake ones we've seen come so far.

EDIT: YOOOO
ROUND 1: ASH VS DIANTHA, STEVEN VS LANCE, IRIS VS CYNTHIA, ALAIN VS LEON
SEMIFINALS: ASH VS IRIS, ALAIN VS STEVEN
FINALS: ASH VS ALAIN

THIS MASTERS 8 SETUP WOULD HAVE LITERALLY BEEN PERFECT FOR CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT IN THE ANIME. NOW I'M MAD UPON REALIZING THAT LOL.
I wouldn't really say that Alain is one of Ash's closest friends. They're friends, but considering that he hadn't been seen or mentioned since the end of XY, I think that would have been difficult to make their battle have any emotional weigh to it. I don't think that Ash and Iris's connection is particularly strong either, but at least Iris was a traveling companion and had appeared earlier in Journeys confirming that she was taking part in the PWC too. Alain just showed up out of nowhere when they announced the Master Class.

As bad as it was for them to use Alain as canon fodder to hype up Leon was, Leon losing in the first round to Alain would have been much worse. What would have been the point of hyping up Leon and the show reminding the audience how much Ash wanted to battle Leon in nearly every episode if they didn't battle at all? Ash defeating Alain like a lot of older fans wanted wouldn't have really lead to more significant development than what we got through Leon. It would be satisfying for people still upset over the Kalos League, but that's about it. I do think that they should have brought Alain back as an opponent during the Hyper Class at least. It would have been an easy way to build up hype for an episode, but I don't think that Ash vs. Alain would have made any sense for the finals of the Master Class tournament.

The reason I have a problem with Liko is that she reminds me issues I have IRL with other people. It turns out that I don't really like reactive people (so I can hardly relate to a reactive character), I prefer people to be proactive.

Also, back when I watched HZ001 for the first time, there was this scene where she's in her room, immediately revealing she's distrusting Amethio. I don't relate to people who distrust other people on instinct, even if said other people are extremely suspicious. Back when I was around Liko's age, I generally had my parents tell me to distrust suspicious people. And there's this line from the following episode when she thinks "Those people don't seem bad". Seriously, what was that line? To me, it sounds far more like a wild Pokémon suddenly meeting good guys after a long time of only meeting bad guys than a human character.

The reason I have a problem with Liko is that she reminds me issues I have IRL with other people. It turns out that I don't really like reactive people (so I can hardly relate to a reactive character), I prefer people to be proactive.

Also, back when I watched HZ001 for the first time, there was this scene where she's in her room, immediately revealing she's distrusting Amethio. I don't relate to people who distrust other people on instinct, even if said other people are extremely suspicious. Back when I was around Liko's age, I generally had my parents tell me to distrust suspicious people. And there's this line from the following episode when she thinks "Those people don't seem bad". Seriously, what was that line? To me, it sounds far more like a wild Pokémon suddenly meeting good guys after a long time of only meeting bad guys than a human character.
Yeah that was a weird choice on the writers part for sure.

I've been rewatching AG again and man May was such a vast improvement over Misty in Johto or Brock for that matter. May felt like an actual character, had a funny and memorable personality, actually battled and wasn't stereotyped to be overly girly just because she was a coordinator. I think the impact is lost if you didn't watch AG when it aired because now we have so many female companions, but at the time having a fresh new female lead with a new and unique goal at the time was great.

I can see why the writers decided to permanently write Misty off the show back then. Once they saw how popular May was there was just no reason to go back, and then of course May's success paved the way for Dawn and new companions in general every series after. It's also a little ironic that even 20 years later May is still one of the most focused on female leads of the series, but I guess that's because the roles for female companions kinda diminished over time. I'm glad they got things right for a character most of us grew up with.

I've been rewatching AG again and man May was such a vast improvement over Misty in Johto or Brock for that matter. May felt like an actual character, had a funny and memorable personality, actually battled and wasn't stereotyped to be overly girly just because she was a coordinator. I think the impact is lost if you didn't watch AG when it aired because now we have so many female companions, but at the time having a fresh new female lead with a new and unique goal at the time was great.

I can see why the writers decided to permanently write Misty off the show back then. Once they saw how popular May was there was just no reason to go back, and then of course May's success paved the way for Dawn and new companions in general every series after. It's also a little ironic that even 20 years later May is still one of the most focused on female leads of the series, but I guess that's because the roles for female companions kinda diminished over time. I'm glad they got things right for a character most of us grew up with.
Agreed, May was a breath of fresh air, seemed like Misty always tended to get pissy at Ash for no reason half the time.

Back
Top Bottom