• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

A controversial opinion- I actually liked Piplup and it’s antics (specially it’s dressing up to cheer during Ash’s matches).

Not-Controversial: But I disagree with the decision to have it stay at its base stage. Prinplup could’ve been equally comedic and haughty.

I love Piplup tbh. I think that it had a really good personality and it had amazing character development especially as it was the Pokemon of a secondary character. I think, personally, it was a good decision that it stayed as a Piplup. I don't think Prinplup or Empoleon match Dawn's personality. Also, the character development with the Ariados nest etc. means I think the writers were intending to keep it a Piplup because of the memories.

Also, the character development with the Ariados nest etc. means I think the writers were intending to keep it a Piplup because of the memories.
That's what the dub said, but in the original version, Piplup refused to evolve because he didn't want to wind up like Mamoswine. I personally prefer this reasoning, because it's far less cliche, but still makes sense.

Wish Axew could have had more development, instead of just getting lost multiple times. He had a good training partner in Scraggy but he never really got that much stronger. He managed to knock over Cynthia's Garchomp, but I kinda of find that whole battle to be crap. How is it that Paul's entire team at the time all went down with one hit and barely did anything to it, but Axew not only survived a Draco Meteor and Dragon Rush, but hit it with Giga Impact and knocked it over? Paul's Torterra, which has been through multiple regions and hundreds of battles, went down in one hit and didn't get in a single hit in itself. But Axew, a mostly untrained baby dragon, did more damage? I just find it crazy.

Another thing I thought of: I wish they would go into a bit more detail whenever there's something especially odd/unique about a Pokemon, especially if this is a useful oddity that could benefit from more experimentation and a more thorough understanding of it (Some examples: Swellow's electrical resistance, Happiny's super strength, Turtwig's speed, Iris' Dragonite and how easily it can handle Ice moves... Debatably, Ash's Pikachu in general)

I'm not saying Pokemon should be lab rats, I'm just saying... Shouldn't these things be making you curious rather than just taking them for granted?

Especially in Turtwig's case, where I feel like if Ash were more invested in truly understanding its speed rather than just taking it for granted, he would either be able to find a better compromise once it evolved, or better prepare it/warn it about the speed drawbacks of evolution.

Ambipom being Primeape 2.0 was very stupid from the writers. But the physical representation of their bond was the high touch.
My theory was that they wanted to make room in Dawn's team for more Pokémon, but whatever the reason, the execution was horrible.

PS. Congrats on the 1000th reply for this thread.

I think it would've been pretty interesting if Dawn had caught that malicious Togepi that wanted to fly into space. You know, have her struggle with trying to make it turn over a new leaf with Contests and the like. She had plenty of time to catch it or at least a Togetic at some point to raise.

I think it would've been pretty interesting if Dawn had caught that malicious Togepi that wanted to fly into space. You know, have her struggle with trying to make it turn over a new leaf with Contests and the like. She had plenty of time to catch it or at least a Togetic at some point to raise.
The decision to give her a Togekiss was probably done so late that they wrote it for her in its fully evolved form to save time. If only they had done a similar thing with Gible...

We already had a Pokégirl with a Togepi.

We already had a Pokégirl with a Togepi.
Ash had a Squirtle and Bulbasaur, May got both of them. He also had a Cyndaquil-turned-Quilava, Dawn got one herself. May had an Eevee and later on Serena would go on to catch one as well. Togepi, unlike those other examples, didn't do all that much beyond being babied for the vast majority of the time it was in the crew. So I think Dawn could have had one herself.

Back
Top Bottom