• Bulbacast is back with a new episode in advance of tomorrow's Direct. Watch it on YouTube here.

Controversial opinions

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Cameron, maybe. But I don't know about Paul and Alain. Who's to say they used THEIR strongest teams? Aside from Mega Charizard from Alain and Electivie from Paul, the rest of the Pokemon they had used had never been seen or heard of before. Who says they don't have far stronger Pokemon in their reserves? Alain only entered the league to battle Ash, so it could be reasoned that he figured he'd only need Charizard to get that far and we know how Paul battles, he likely expected Ash to use his Sinnoh team and tried to plan ahead. If he had used Torterra, things could have gone differently.
Paul likely has stronger Pokémon in the reserve since he too travelled through Kanto, Johto and Hoenn. Who's to say that Paul doesn’t have a Blastoise, Blaziken and Pinsir at Reggie's?

Violeta

Colours
Reaction score
Paul likely has stronger Pokémon in the reserve since he too travelled through Kanto, Johto and Hoenn. Who's to say that Paul doesn’t have a Blastoise, Blaziken and Pinsir at Reggie's?
Er, are you implying that he purposely held back at the Sinnoh League? Because I don't see why he wouldn't have used his best Pokemon there when it was such a crucial competition.

sc190191

Reaction score
I'm not really seeing why Dawn would be expected to pick up Johanna's skills just because they're related. And she's not alone in her ineptitude: for instance, Serena sucked at Rhyhorn racing initially despite her mom's mastery of the sport.
Serena hated Rhyhorn racing, so that makes sense. Plus, even though she clearly hated it, and didn't recognize her own skills, she was shown at multiple times having a lot more skills that she even realized she had from her upbringing. She also didn't really get a long with her mom that well, and when they were apart she was able to appreciate the lessons she learned and apply them, and was actually fairly good at Rhyhorn racing even without additional practice, just from remembering her past lessons.

The point isn't that Dawn was expected to pick up Johanna's skills, just that she had an amazing opportunity others didn't have, which makes her not really an underdog. Because she always wanted to be a top coordinator and lived with one her whole life, she had an advantage very few others had. It just makes you question why she didn't try to learn more from her mother, who literally teaches classes to youth learning about contests. Again, as I have said before, some people have trouble learning from their parents, but Dawn was shown during the series to be able to learn from her mother and got along with her better than Serena did to Grace, so why she learned so little in her first 10 years of life, when she already had this goal for at least several of them, is what I am questioning. But my whole point isn't "shame on Dawn for not learning from your mom" its just that I don't feel like she can be considered an underdog considering the opportunities she had that she (apparently) didn't really take advantage of.

FluffleFi

The fluffiest boi you'll ever squeeze!
Reaction score
Er, are you implying that he purposely held back at the Sinnoh League? Because I don't see why he wouldn't have used his best Pokemon there when it was such a crucial competition.
I wouldn't say Paul was holding back, but his style isn't really to dominate with absolute strength. He tries to set up and lead his opponent into traps, but Ash being Ash used his 'off-the-wall' strategies and manged to counter right back. Heck, Ash would have lost if Infernape's Blaze hadn't of activated; he was poisoned and i'm pretty sure he had three other Pokemon to fight through before Electivire was sent out.

FinnishPokéFan92

The ocean is my Cloyster.
Reaction score
Serena hated Rhyhorn racing, so that makes sense. Plus, even though she clearly hated it, and didn't recognize her own skills, she was shown at multiple times having a lot more skills that she even realized she had from her upbringing. She also didn't really get a long with her mom that well, and when they were apart she was able to appreciate the lessons she learned and apply them, and was actually fairly good at Rhyhorn racing even without additional practice, just from remembering her past lessons.

The point isn't that Dawn was expected to pick up Johanna's skills, just that she had an amazing opportunity others didn't have, which makes her not really an underdog. Because she always wanted to be a top coordinator and lived with one her whole life, she had an advantage very few others had. It just makes you question why she didn't try to learn more from her mother, who literally teaches classes to youth learning about contests. Again, as I have said before, some people have trouble learning from their parents, but Dawn was shown during the series to be able to learn from her mother and got along with her better than Serena did to Grace, so why she learned so little in her first 10 years of life, when she already had this goal for at least several of them, is what I am questioning. But my whole point isn't "shame on Dawn for not learning from your mom" its just that I don't feel like she can be considered an underdog considering the opportunities she had that she (apparently) didn't really take advantage of.
Perhaps it was her overconfident attitude that got in the way?

SinnohEevee

Reaction score
Expecting good writing from PokéAni is expecting too much. Kids are dumb and don't care about it (especially the younger ones), so there's no need for it.

Hidden Mew

Administrator
Reaction score
Expecting good writing from PokéAni is expecting too much. Kids are dumb and don't care about it (especially the younger ones), so there's no need for it.
I think that's a bit harsh. While I don't think that kids are actively looking for good writing when it comes to what they like to watch, that doesn't mean that they're dumb. They just want to watch something that they like, but kids also know when they don't like something. They aren't just mindless machines that will eat up anything you put in front of them.

Plus, the Pokemon anime does have good writing. It's obviously not perfect and writing quality is subjective anyway, but I do think that there are plenty of instances throughout all of the various series, including BW and SM, where the writing is good. Just because the anime is a toyetic series designed to promote the newest games/merchandise so kids will go buy the stuff doesn't mean that it can't have good writing. I do think that there is an issue of people well outside the target demographic expecting the anime to fit their tastes and the same can apply to the video games for that matter, but I don't think that means the writing in the Pokemon anime is automatically bad.

Skalesgon

Reaction score
I think that's a bit harsh. While I don't think that kids are actively looking for good writing when it comes to what they like to watch, that doesn't mean that they're dumb. They just want to watch something that they like, but kids also know when they don't like something. They aren't just mindless machines that will eat up anything you put in front of them.

Plus, the Pokemon anime does have good writing. It's obviously not perfect and writing quality is subjective anyway, but I do think that there are plenty of instances throughout all of the various series, including BW and SM, where the writing is good. Just because the anime is a toyetic series designed to promote the newest games/merchandise so kids will go buy the stuff doesn't mean that it can't have good writing. I do think that there is an issue of people well outside the target demographic expecting the anime to fit their tastes and the same can apply to the video games for that matter, but I don't think that means the writing in the Pokemon anime is automatically bad.
Should insulting kids here be banned? I have read nasty stuff about their intelligence.

KenzeyEevee

Eevee, the one with a kind heart
Reaction score
Game Lillie is far more enjoyable than Anime Lillie. Mallow is even annoying as her game version. Anime Solp has actually more developpement than Game Solp. Kiawe and Lana are the same as their game versions.

FluffleFi

Reaction score
How come items aren't featured more often? I can understand using ones such as potions or Burn Heals during battles would ruin the pace and come off as cheating, but what about the rest? We most always see the aforementioned potions, berries, evolution stones and Pokeballs. But what about ones such as Mystic Water, the Life Orb or hell, the Light Ball? Items are pretty dang important in the games, especially the ones that have t be gotten through BP. You'd think the anime would try and teach kids how to really use them. THinking about it, I think it would have been pretty cool if Paul had used a few. He seems like the kind of guy who'd seek them out.

sc190191

Reaction score
How come items aren't featured more often? I can understand using ones such as potions or Burn Heals during battles would ruin the pace and come off as cheating, but what about the rest? We most always see the aforementioned potions, berries, evolution stones and Pokeballs. But what about ones such as Mystic Water, the Life Orb or hell, the Light Ball? Items are pretty dang important in the games, especially the ones that have t be gotten through BP. You'd think the anime would try and teach kids how to really use them. THinking about it, I think it would have been pretty cool if Paul had used a few. He seems like the kind of guy who'd seek them out.
I think they don't use them because it would be difficult to actually show the item being held in a high action battle, but I totally agree it would be cool to see more items. They did come up with creative ways to "hold" mega stones, so a lot of held items could be made into necklaces or other attachments. I always thought a silk scarf (or even Gen II a pink bow) would look really cute on an Eevee. I think a lot of them would look strange though, like assault vest for example. I always wondered about light ball, it seems big to me, it would take some creativity to have Pikachu hold that and still look normal and be able to move around well in battle. As for Paul, I always thought it would have been interesting to show him using something like a toxic orb, since his Ursaring had guts, it would have been another one of those more questionable styles that would have gotten the audience to consider if that's a strategy they really want to use.

Rockapheller

Trainer since late 90's
Reaction score
I think they don't use them because it would be difficult to actually show the item being held in a high action battle, but I totally agree it would be cool to see more items. They did come up with creative ways to "hold" mega stones, so a lot of held items could be made into necklaces or other attachments. I always thought a silk scarf (or even Gen II a pink bow) would look really cute on an Eevee. I think a lot of them would look strange though, like assault vest for example. I always wondered about light ball, it seems big to me, it would take some creativity to have Pikachu hold that and still look normal and be able to move around well in battle. As for Paul, I always thought it would have been interesting to show him using something like a toxic orb, since his Ursaring had guts, it would have been another one of those more questionable styles that would have gotten the audience to consider if that's a strategy they really want to use.
That, plus some items are hard to explain logically in the show. For example, what could be a proper explanation for Silk Scarf to increase normal-type moves of the holder in a regular battle? Some items could easily use the excuse "a mystical energy that helps Pokémon reach to its best" but not all of them can go with it.

FluffleFi

Reaction score
Fine points, but its not like they HAVE to explain how they all work. THis series has been gone on for 20 years and yet we still don't really know how Pokeball works, where evolution stones came from or how TMs/HMs are made. But I do understand why; it'd probably be more of a hassle to try and animate all those items sticking to Pokemon and how would some like Ditto even hold them?