Controversial opinions

Discussion in 'Pokémon Anime and Manga' started by SinnohEevee, Jun 18, 2017.

1. SinnohEevee

SinnohEevee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    While I wanted Ash to catch my favourite Pokémon, i wasnt expecting anything. This fandom likes to hype itself for nothing and get false hopes.

2. ZDaemon09

ZDaemon09 Member

Blog Posts:
    Like what I did, then I laughed at my despair for... being wrong. (The worse tragedy out of Lana catching that Eevee.) Then laugh at the despair of the immature children/ man children would refuse to bow their heads and get over it!

3. santiagus

santiagus TEAM ROCKET IS UNDERUSED

Blog Posts:
    Am I the only one who hates every Pokémon that Ash had in recent years (5th gen onwards)?

I mean Iiked Rowlet in the past and I now hate it, I liked Oshawott in the past but the anime make me hate it, I liked Greninja but now is meh to me. And Torracat, Lycanroc, Pignite,Snivy,Scraggy,Krokkodile,

The same thing happens with Team Rocket but in reverse now Bewear , Mimmikyu and Marearnie are my favourtes , and my favourie 5th gen mon is Yammask (Although i dont like Inkay and Gourgeist they were awful).

4. OniCornwalis

OniCornwalis New Member

Blog Posts:
    I don’t mind what the anime did with the Ultra Beasts, as most of them aren’t inherently evil. I looked them up and saw how they were created, and they were based on the idea of invasive species. The thing about invasive species is that they aren’t evil on their own, but the situations they create by their existence can be problematic. Therefore, most of the Ultra Beasts are just confused and unfamiliar with the world of Pokémon, and the anime can treat them more lightly, as they aren’t intending to cause harm.

The only two Ultra Beasts that are evil are Nihilego, which is based off of a parasite, and Guzzlord, who will do literally anything in order to get his next meal, even if that means destroying towns and reducing the landscape to a wasteland. Because of this, the anime has taken Nihilego really seriously, and it’s looking like the same’s going to happen with Guzzlord.

LazySpy, ZDaemon09, TRNatalie and 4 others like this.
  5. FinnishPokéFan92

FinnishPokéFan92 Screw the money, I have rules! Wait...

Blog Posts:
    Well said. I've seen a ton of people complaining about the anime "not handling Ultra Beasts properly" or "not making them as threatening as they're supposed to be", or something like that. But I've never had such a huge issue with it. I've gotten used to it by now and I'm perfectly comfortable with for the reasons listed in the above post.

I'm also glad that Guzzlord, of all the Ultra Beasts at the very least, gets to be shown off in its natural environment.

6. ZDaemon09

ZDaemon09 Member

Blog Posts:
    All of that! The Beasts themselves are NOT your generic alien species that want to kill everyone for potato reasons, they are powerful pokemon that are in an alien world and react exactly as you would expect one to react in that situation. (Walk a mile in there shoes, you would act exactly as they would.)
    They are still a problem for those around, but the beast HAS no ill intentions outside of the lives they are use too.
    As for your two exceptions.
    Nihilego, unlike the other beasts, are not even sentient and act on instinct, they cannot be reasoned with. Guzzlord would act like a puppy if they go with a comedic route... but that is where the comedy ends, their biology is built around eating everything and their world is a hell hole even for them.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  7. Shadao

Shadao Pikachu's Global Adventure

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, I had doubts that Eevee would go to Ash. I always felt that should Ash ever get an Eevee, it would be foreshadowed to evolve into Espeon to match with Gary's Umbreon. Based on the shaggy hair and the fact that Partner Eevee doesn't evolve at all, it feels a bit off for this Eevee to go to Ash. It feels more like a classroom pet than anything else. Not to mention Ash always get Pokémon introduced in the current Gen rather than previous Gen (and if he does get a previous Gen Pokémon, expect it to evolve into the current Gen Pokémon).

Of course, I wasn't paying attention to the hype since I had doubts that the Alola League would even have a proper build up to begin with.

8. sc190191

sc190191 Member

Blog Posts:
    I think this post belongs here because I am about to say something positive about showcases (oh my god!). Trust me, I don't really like them either, and even if I did I think they weren't handled well, BUT I just saw Serena's final master class performance in the original for the first time the other day (and like 5 times since then now), and wow was it really cool.

The way they synchronized the movements to the Dori Dori ending was really cool, having seen only the dub before I never realized that the dance was the same as it was in the original ending. But I think it goes way beyond just being a cute little tie-in, because it shows that she finally became the person she dreamed of being. Back then it was just a dream, she finally found a passion to pursue and she was imagining how she could confidently dance alongside her partners and be who she wanted to be. When she got onto the final stage in the master class, she was finally able to confidently be herself and put on the performance she had dreamed of for so long, all while having a lot of fun. Even though she didn't win, I think it was the best way (given the circumstances, they had already made a lot of mistakes with showcases) they could wrap up Serena's performance arc for the XY series. She then progressed from trying to achieve her own dream, to moving forwards towards trying to make other people happy, which shows some cool progression as well. Anyway, it really changes how I am going to look back on that arc. I would suggest if you haven't seen the original (I'm sure most people on here have), to watch the original Dori Dori ending a few times and then watch it, because it is really cool.

A Wild Luxray likes this.
  9. Camille

Camille Call of Fate

Blog Posts:
    Not sure this is actually an unpopular opinion, but I was greatly annoyed when Bulbasaur (and later Piplup) refused to evolve.

PkmnTrainerV likes this.
  10. PkmnTrainerV

PkmnTrainerV Flame Trainer

Blog Posts:
    Same here, specially since Ivysaur and Primplup are my favourite stages of their respective lines.

11. FinnishPokéFan92

FinnishPokéFan92 Screw the money, I have rules! Wait...

Blog Posts:
    I personally don't like how they changed Piplup's reasoning for not wanting to evolve in the dub. In the original version, it was because Piplup had seen what evolution had done to Swinub and wanted to avoid the same happening again. In the dub, it was something smushy and cliche about wanting to preserve their memories together or something like that. I personally think the reasoning in the Japanese version made more sense.

12. Mikuri

Mikuri Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Is this true though? I just re-watched the scene in which Meowth translates what Piplup says to Dawn when he is explaining why he doesn't want to evolve and Mamoswine wasn't mentioned. Piplup says that he will protect Dawn from Team Rocket the same way he did when they were attacked by a swarm of Ariados when they first met, and that he will forever protect her as a Piplup.

I've seen this topic being brought up before but I really would like to have some confirmation. Dogasu didn't do a comparison on that episode and Bulbapedia has no info about it in their dub edits section. What I do know is that Meowth doesn't say "Mammoo" when translating Piplup's reasoning. So I guess this is just misinformation that has been circulating far too long on the forums.

In any case, I prefer the "dub reason" a lot more. Piplup refusing to evolve because he is scared of becoming a disobedient Pokémon upon evolving makes him look like a coward who has no control over his own actions.

Nicolas721 and Hidden Mew like this.
  13. Rockapheller

Rockapheller Trainer since late 90's

Blog Posts:
    I thought the reasoning was beyond cliché but I had no idea that was the case originally. Once again we experience the dub, a.k.a. western "localization" ruining the depth of the show which is sad.

14. Jared DiCarlo

Jared DiCarlo Grovyle Fan

Blog Posts:
    Wow, that sounds like something you’d see in a cheesy educational DiC cartoon from the 80s.

RetroPokeFan likes this.
  15. Hidden Mew

Hidden Mew Administrator Deputy Head Administrator

Blog Posts:
    I thought that Piplup's reason for not evolving was fine. It's cliche, but I thought it was fitting given how much Dawn and Piplup had bonded during that point of DP. Wanting to protect Dawn as a Piplup instead of changing felt fitting and had enough emotional weight behind it to make it feel genuine to me.

The idea that Piplup would be afraid of becoming like Mamoswine kind of makes sense on paper, but at the same time, I think it would be too much of a stretch for that to be the real reason behind Piplup's decision. Dawn barely did anything with Swinub between its capture and evolution episodes, so there wasn't much of a bond between them from the start. Piplup is Dawn's starter Pokemon and they had much more of a connection than she had with Swinub. Pokemon often do change when they evolve, but I'm not sure if seeing Mamoswine disobey Dawn alone would be enough to make Piplup not want to evolve, especially when Ambipom didn't have a problem listening to Dawn after it evolve and Dawn got Ambipom from a trade too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.