• Saph continues his journey through Galar. Watch here.

Controversial opinions

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if Lana having Popplio would really hurt its popularity that much, especially when Primarina itself is still pretty popular despite having minimal appearances in the anime. Granted, Popplio doesn't get to do much besides making balloons since Lana doesn't battle that often, but Ash's Rowlet is borderline useless at this point, rarely does anything besides sleeping and it's still pretty popular. The Rowlet line has always been the most popular out of the Alola starters though, but I don't think Rowlet has really done a whole lot more during the series than Popplio despite Ash being a more battle active trainer.

I can't comment on whether or not Eevee fits with Lana since I haven't seen the episode yet, but I honestly wanted Ash to catch a Dewpider instead. He really needs a Water type on his Alola team, he hasn't caught a Bug type in ages and it would be a unique type combination to make it stand out among the rest of his Pokemon. It could also be used to see the Bug Z-Move, but at this point, it will be amazing if Ash catches two more Pokemon and their development doesn't feel really rushed.

Reaction score
I don't know if Lana having Popplio would really hurt its popularity that much, especially when Primarina itself is still pretty popular despite having minimal appearances in the anime. Granted, Popplio doesn't get to do much besides making balloons since Lana doesn't battle that often, but Ash's Rowlet is borderline useless at this point, rarely does anything besides sleeping and it's still pretty popular. The Rowlet line has always been the most popular out of the Alola starters though, but I don't think Rowlet has really done a whole lot more during the series than Popplio despite Ash being a more battle active trainer.

I can't comment on whether or not Eevee fits with Lana since I haven't seen the episode yet, but I honestly wanted Ash to catch a Dewpider instead. He really needs a Water type on his Alola team, he hasn't caught a Bug type in ages and it would be a unique type combination to make it stand out among the rest of his Pokemon. It could also be used to see the Bug Z-Move, but at this point, it will be amazing if Ash catches two more Pokemon and their development doesn't feel really rushed.
It's Misty who should catch a Dewpider. :p
I wonder how she would react to one.

I second this — except for one thing.

Lana is my personal favorite main female in all of Pokémon.

EVER.
That's a weird way to spell Hikari (Dawn). :p

Administrator
Reaction score
It's Misty who should catch a Dewpider. :p
I wonder how she would react to one.
She would probably still panic, especially when neither Dewpider or Wimpod are traditionally cute like some of the other Bug Pokemon she can deal with. I always thought it would be neat if Misty caught a Surkit though.

Reaction score
It's not about whether Popplio gets to do much. It's more of like Popplio being part of the supporting cast as opposed to the main cast. Lillie is clearly the focus among Ash's classmates.

I also have no issues with Lana as a character. It's just that I don't think cuddly mammalian cryptids suit her.

Administrator
Reaction score
It's not about whether Popplio gets to do much. It's more of like Popplio being part of the supporting cast as opposed to the main cast. Lillie is clearly the focus among Ash's classmates.

I also have no issues with Lana as a character. It's just that I don't think cuddly mammalian cryptids suit her.
I don't think that they had a lot of options here. Given how Lillie was too afraid to touch Pokemon, I don't think that Popplio would have been a good fit for her. Mallow and Sophocles stand out even less than Lana and possibly have done less than she has in the series up to this point, so they wouldn't have worked. Kiawe getting a Water type Pokemon wouldn't really fit with his goal. Ash would have been a fine choice, but they probably didn't want to give him all three starters again or possibly even give him a full team considering how long he has only had four Pokemon on him. Lana was probably the only option for Popplio's trainer since she does like Water Pokemon, despite how rarely actually comes up, and none of the other characters would really fit for it.

Reaction score
Clearly, Iris is Best Girl /s
Although in all seriousness, I don't strongly dislike her, I just think she was the biggest waste of potential.

Like this is just conjecture, but a lot of the time, it seemed like they were scared to make her "too cool/too strong", or scared to make her look better than Ash, even though her goal sounds the coolest on paper. Instead, it's like you only get to see like a watered down and underwhelming version of an aspiring Dragon Master.

They easily could've made her stronger and less annoying while still keeping her flawed and compelling, but they just kept dropping the ball on that. Also, giving her goal more actual structure would've helped a ton.

Reaction score
I don't think that they had a lot of options here. Given how Lillie was too afraid to touch Pokemon, I don't think that Popplio would have been a good fit for her. Mallow and Sophocles stand out even less than Lana and possibly have done less than she has in the series up to this point, so they wouldn't have worked. Kiawe getting a Water type Pokemon wouldn't really fit with his goal. Ash would have been a fine choice, but they probably didn't want to give him all three starters again or possibly even give him a full team considering how long he has only had four Pokemon on him. Lana was probably the only option for Popplio's trainer since she does like Water Pokemon, despite how rarely actually comes up, and none of the other characters would really fit for it.
I'm not disagreeing with what you said. Based on what we have, my personal preference would be giving Popplio to Ash. But you know who would fit the best with Popplio? Look to the top left of this post ;)

Do you even zap?
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with what you said. Based on what we have, my personal preference would be giving Popplio to Ash. But you know who would fit the best with Popplio? Look to the top left of this post ;)
Nah. It's not unheard of that other main characters than Ash get to have some of the starters. You're just mad that Ash didn't get a starter you liked.

Reaction score
Nah. It's not unheard of that other main characters than Ash get to have some of the starters. You're just mad that Ash didn't get a starter you liked.
Interesting projection. Well the thing is, Lana is hardly a main character imo. Yea she's one of the main friends but I'd actually say that the main characters are Ash and Lillie only.

Do you even zap?
Reaction score
Interesting projection. Well the thing is, Lana is hardly a main character imo. Yea she's one of the main friends but I'd actually say that the main characters are Ash and Lillie only.
Nah. All of them are main characters. Which one of them is the most important character(s) (besides Ash, of course) is debatable.

Reaction score
Nah. All of them are main characters. Which one of them is the most important character(s) (besides Ash, of course) is debatable.
Have they all been in every episode so far? Does the overall story revolve around them all? No. Ash and Pikachu are main. Lillie is also a main character. Everyone else is supporting with debatable importance.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I’d say Lillie is about equal to the other classmates on the status of main characters. She just got more focus during the Aether Arc because of her game importance. Rest of the times she gets around as much focus as the other classmates.

Reaction score
I’d say Lillie is about equal to the other classmates on the status of main characters. She just got more focus during the Aether Arc because of her game importance. Rest of the times she gets around as much focus as the other classmates.
In other words, depends on the episode. Thankfully she has the benefit of having most of her development done during that Arc, which leaves with the other negative that I don't mind too much but I want to see more of. Lillie needing something to move forward to.

Do you even zap?
Reaction score
In other words, depends on the episode. Thankfully she has the benefit of having most of her development done during that Arc, which leaves with the other negative that I don't mind too much but I want to see more of. Lillie needing something to move forward to.
Well, she still has the Z-Ring to get.

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, all of the classmates are main characters. Lillie has gotten probably the most focus out of the group and she is the only one thus far to get significant character development, but I don't think she's the only one out of the classmates to have main character status. She still blends into the background like the rest of them from time to time, there are long stretches of episodes where she doesn't get to do much and she doesn't appear in every episode either.

Honestly, I still think that the only reason anime Lillie is so well received is mainly due to the popularity of her video game counterpart. I like anime Lillie, but I do think her storyline is a bit more messy in SM than it was in the games due to the changes they made to her personality, her mother and their relationship. During the Aether Foundation arc, it felt like they kept trying to use all of the highlights of Lillie's video game storyline, but it just didn't have the same impact because SM Lillie is significantly different from her video game counterpart. The best example would be her Z-Powered form. It was a nice moment in the games because Lillie was becoming more confident after being more reserved and shy, but it doesn't have that kind of impact on the show. If video game Lillie wasn't so popular and well received, I doubt that SM Lillie would be nearly as popular as she is.

Despite how Lana doesn't get a lot of focus, she is still a main character. I would have loved for Ash to catch Popplio for quite a few reasons, but I'm not surprised that it didn't happen for a few reasons as well.