1. Interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff? See details here.
  2. The forums are going to be down this weekend (tentatively Saturday the 19th) for maintenance as we upgrade the software to XenForo 2. Particularly of note is that blogs are going to be removed for the time being, but we are getting a lot of new features with the upgrade.

For more details, see this thread.

Controversial opinions

Discussion in 'Pokémon Anime and Manga' started by SinnohEevee, Jun 18, 2017.

1. ii kanji

ii kanji Musashi Hayashibara

Blog Posts:
    Who on earth says this?

SerenaToAlola likes this.
  2. KenzeyEevee

KenzeyEevee Eevee, the one with a kind heart

Blog Posts:
    Idk I saw it on youtube

3. LazySpy

LazySpy Beware the mutant, the heretic, the Lavos.

Blog Posts:
    It's not hard to be smarter than OG Ash, hahaha.....

4. SinnohEevee

SinnohEevee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I had no problem Misty left, I just disliked the way it was done.

Poke Trey, KenzeyEevee and LazySpy like this.
  5. sc190191

sc190191 Member

Blog Posts:
    I think she agreed to do it because deep down she wanted to be the Gym leader and have that responsibility. So sure, she was surprised to have this sprung on her and upset with the rude treatment and upset to leave her friends because she enjoyed her travels, but this also meant her sisters respected her enough to be the sole gym leader and she was proud of being a gym leader and wanted this responsibility/position. It actually was one of the better departures in that she improved a lot as a water type trainer and then was able to use that improvements gained from her travels to do something she always wanted to do and be a good gym leader, gaining the respect of her sisters. So yeah, it would have felt better if the sisters had been more respectful and asked her if she wanted to do it, but that just wasn't their personality.

6. CaptainBuggles

CaptainBuggles Member

Blog Posts:
    That is a decent point, it's just... Now I feel like how I feel about Iris when it comes to the "improving as a Water-type Trainer" part, because like...

If they just made her travels more structured and productive in the first place, she could've made way more progress in her journeys than she canonically did, and it wouldn't even be necessary for her to become a Gym Leader to improve further.

Still, it's not the worst thing in the world, it's mainly just that I have super low sympathy for her sisters. So, the execution kind of undermines this interpretation, but thought that she'd be doing it mostly for her own sake is a bit of a comfort, rather than the thought it's just to impress vain brats like them. Like I said, I don't think she should've stayed forever anyway.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    LazySpy likes this.
  7. Hidden Mew

Hidden Mew Administrator Deputy Head Administrator

Blog Posts:
    It also didn't help that there wasn't much buildup to Misty's departure. Her sisters had been mentioned a few times during Johto and her connection to Sakura, the girl with the Espeon, reminded her of how she was when she first left home, but compared to other departures, there wasn't a lot of build up and it didn't really come off as a natural conclusion to Misty's story considering she wanted to leave the Gym to make it on her own as a Pokemon trainer. I can see why they still decided to have Misty become a Gym Leader. It was the easiest way to write her out of the cast, but the execution could have been improved upon.

Even so, I don't mind Misty staying on as a Gym Leader. She was the only one out of her sisters to even be interested in Pokemon battles. It's almost amazing that her sisters didn't just give it up completely. It gives her a way to work on her battling skills and she can still leave the Gym to travel on her own. I agree that if her goal had better structure during the original series, maybe they wouldn't have made her a Gym Leader, but anyone besides Ash getting a good amount of focus and development in the original series would have been tough to pull off.

Poke Trey, martianmister and LazySpy like this.
  8. SinnohEevee

SinnohEevee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I think a better send-off could have been sending her to learn from Wallace, who's a Water-type Master.

9. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Member

Blog Posts:
    I don't know. Is it really a controversial opinion when those who approve of him remaining as such are in the minority?

martianmister likes this.
  10. PkmnTrainerV

PkmnTrainerV Flame Trainer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to all the Raichu antongist epiosdes we’ve ended up with, the general public préfère Pikachu to Raichu making that opinion controversial in most settings.

Internet forums might lean more towards Raichu though.

Poke Trey and Nicolas721 like this.
  11. FinnishPokéFan92

FinnishPokéFan92 The ocean is my Cloyster.

Blog Posts:
    Well, this is the original series we're talking about. The character writing wasn't quite as developed as it became later.

12. Nicolas721

Nicolas721 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    -Ash & Paul didn't deserve to win the Tag Battle Tournament. They never acted as a team, and while I get that that wasn't the point of the arc it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Dawn winning wasn't possible due to her upcoming depression arc, but there were some things they could have done: 1) Pair Dawn with Paul and Ash with Conway, and make Ash win (through giving equal screentime to Ash and Paul would have been difficult) or 2) Make Brock and Holly the winners.
    -Even if Paul had to win, they at least should've used that to double up Paul's arrogance and showing him satisfied about his triumph. But nope, he literally gives the prize to Ash. He acts like an emotionless machine most of the time, that's why I'm growing to dislike him on my DP rewatch.

-The SM series should work on relationships between pairs or small groups, most of them are forgotten after their first use. I liked the initial ones of Ash/Mallow, Ash/Kiawe and Mallow/Lillie, but they all went nowhere.
    -After watching a few episodes of the Twitch marathon, I can safely say that Sarah Natochenny is a better fit for Ash than Veronica Taylor. I understand the appeal for Veronica's voice, but Ash's voice has to be something else than a 10-year-old boy's. However, I noticed that during the first Kanto episodes, Veronica's voice sounded a bit more mature than the one she did later, I prefered that tone to the one she used for most of the series.

13. CaptainBuggles

CaptainBuggles Member

Blog Posts:
    I actually have been thinking about the School Of Hard Knocks episode, mainly 2 things about it

1) I wish people would stop citing it as their proof that "anime levels exist and should be a big deal", especially when the rest of the episode's moral basically comes off as telling you that in anime-verse, levels and other strictly "by the book" lines of thinking have less importance.

2) I kind of wish the moral about the "right" way to be a Trainer was more... nuanced? Like it kinda was, but the episode also came off like most of the students are just rich kids who are too soft/spoiled/ignorant for a "real adventure"... and to a degree, I get that. But on the other hand, the Kanto series also tried to make Pokemon training come off as this difficult, risky thing that will even make adults quit or abandon their families over it, and it was uncommon to see average people who came off as "good" at it. Even a bunch of people who made it all the way to the League fought with a lot of unevolved Pokemon.

So from that angle, it seems like wanting to approach it more academically is actually a really sensible decision, rather than unduly risking your health and safety just because it's the "best way to learn"... Yet, a bunch of people who do it that way are still mediocre. Not to mention you're risking your Pokemon more, too. There was even an Orange Islands episode where the implication was that Charizard could die, or at the very least suffer lasting harm... That whole crisis could become a lot less serious in a controlled setting. I'm not saying that it's totally wrong to go on an adventure, just that the "adventurer" side could stand to be more careful and sensible too.

Really, that school system should've just compromised more between book smarts and real battle scenarios. Plus, it shouldn't have presented itself as so elitist, and it shouldn't have been so wrapped up in how many facts you can regurgitate. Essentially, it should be school, but less conformist and standardized.

Hidden Mew, Poke Trey and prog rocker like this.
  14. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    And she only do that when her daughter became an finalist, not before that.
    I wonder why...
    Screenshot_2018-11-24-21-12-12-1.png
    True, Serena's mother was rough with her, but at least she cheered for her daughter.
    What was so interesting about their personalities?
    Why do you think she didn't learn from her mother? She was pretty good in her first contest. She know everything about contests, what she lack was practic and pokemon training, which is understandable considering she never had a pokemon before.
    They need to showcase it, just like other pokemon.
    That's happened in every series, even in DP.
    Compared to what, Dent's Stunfisk?
    Pokemon rarely had problems with using moves they automatically learned. True there is cases that a pokemon needs to train itself to learn and master a move, but these cases are rare. Considering how powerful Pikachu's electricty is, I have no problem with it.
    But Lilie's Vulpix is getting less focus compared to Popplio, isn't that right?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  15. Violeta

Violeta Colours

Blog Posts:
    Regarding the School Of Hard Knocks episode, I kinda wish that the whole "bypass the Badge quest" angle of the school had been explored in-depth again when Ash competed at the Indigo League. Like, we could've at least seen Giselle again.

16. prog rocker

prog rocker Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    He could have also seen AJ and the other characters that he promises to meet again but never does.

17. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    She left the school, though.

18. FinnishPokéFan92

FinnishPokéFan92 The ocean is my Cloyster.

Blog Posts:
    Season 1 was full of characters who had ton of potential but wound up being just being one-off plot elements for a single episode. Not even many of the Gym Leaders were immune to this treatment.

19. Violeta

Violeta Colours

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of them, I'm still salty that Ash didn't visit Sabrina when he went back to Saffron in AG. She was my fave Kanto Gym Leader since she had been practically possessed by Satan, yet apparently the writers didn't think we deserved to see what she and Haunter were up to. :cry:

20. LazySpy

LazySpy Beware the mutant, the heretic, the Lavos.

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. Sabrina was the girl, I' never forget her.

Violeta and FinnishPokéFan92 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.