• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

There are forums to dislike DP? That's weird tbh seeing as I mostly see DP praised by most. To me its the second best series ever made so far and it's super close to XY for me. The Tobias thing was the ONE irk I had really, might have been better if they had Ash use his most OP team in that battle at least and we saw maybe 4 Pokemon from Tobias.

I watched XY first and then bits of SM before DP and DP is my least favourite. I felt like the cast didn't really get along. The plot was rather contrived. Didn't like Paul, didn't like Zoey. It felt really mechanical tbh.

My controversial opinions are:

- I was far from upset that Ash lost the Kalos League to Alain of all people, especially with Ash-Greninja losing to Mega Charizard X. In a way, it was telegraphed in a way, but I was still not upset when he lost. First, Ash had told Goodra that while he had many other Pokémon to choose from, he chose him instead. While some may say that showed his bond with Goodra, to me, it indicated that Ash was shafting his previous Pokémon in favor of a new one: one that ironically enough only had a tie and a loss in the Kalos League and was shown to not be as strong as previously believed.

- Expanding on the Kalos League issues, I liked the fact that Alain beat Ash since Ash seemed to forget all of his previous Pokémon and traveling companions. There was not one mention of Ash's previous Pokémon or traveling companions. It was like Ash either forgot about them or abandoned them. Contrast that with Alain. While Alain has his issues, such as his gullibility and his indecision for a time once Lysandre's true nature was revealed, he was doing everything, and i mean everything for Mairin and her smile. He did what he did for someone else, while Ash seemed to do it just for himself and his current Pokémon team, seemingly while ignoring all of the others that had gotten to that point from the time he left home to the finals of the Kalos League.

- I think that instead of Ash-Greninja, Ash should have been given a Charizardite Y and Mega Evolved Charizard into Mega Charizard Y (assuming he couldn't have both). Heck, he had several Mega Evolution capable Pokémon, two of them (Charizard and Sceptile) are almost universally loved by both the game audience and the animé audience. While Greninja was popular, I don't think that it needed to have an, at the time, animé exclusive transformational power-up. Think of how hyped a real battle between Mega Charizard X vs. Mega Charizard Y would have been, especially when both Pokémon are proven to be powerful. After all, Alain's Mega Charizard X beat an Elite Four member's Mega Houndoom, and this coming after having beaten nine other Mega Evolution Pokémon with only a Potion given between each battle, if that. And as for Ash's Charizard, we already know his body of work, such as beating a Legendary Pokémon without needing Blaze or a Mega Evolution. Instead Mega Charizard Y went to Trevor, and it was utterly wasted by Alain's Mega Charizard X.

- Expanding on the Kalos League issues, I liked the fact that Alain beat Ash since Ash seemed to forget all of his previous Pokémon and traveling companions. There was not one mention of Ash's previous Pokémon or traveling companions. It was like Ash either forgot about them or abandoned them. Contrast that with Alain. While Alain has his issues, such as his gullibility and his indecision for a time once Lysandre's true nature was revealed, he was doing everything, and i mean everything for Mairin and her smile. He did what he did for someone else, while Ash seemed to do it just for himself and his current Pokémon team, seemingly while ignoring all of the others that had gotten to that point from the time he left home to the finals of the Kalos League.

Oh this is a really good point!

I watched XY first and then bits of SM before DP and DP is my least favourite. I felt like the cast didn't really get along. The plot was rather contrived. Didn't like Paul, didn't like Zoey. It felt really mechanical tbh.

DP's mechanicalness is nowhere near XY(&Z)'s lol.

DP's mechanicalness is nowhere near XY(&Z)'s lol.

In what sense? I really liked the way the XY(&Z) cast interacted. It gave life to their journey. In DP they were just moving from point to point and nothing much. I don't feel like they got to know each other any better.

I never really got that impression with the DP cast. There was a lot of emphasis on Ash and Dawn's friendship throughout the series and they both had a significant impact on their respective quests. They often were inspired from their battles to create different strategies. Granted, Brock's connection between them did come off as less noteworthy because of how much focus Ash and Dawn got, but they all still felt like a group of friends traveling together and certainly not just a group of people moving from point to point. The only group that didn't convey a good sense of friendship between the cast was the BW trio in my opinion, mainly due to how Iris didn't have a particularly strong connection with either Ash or Cilan.

In what sense? I really liked the way the XY(&Z) cast interacted. It gave life to their journey. In DP they were just moving from point to point and nothing much. I don't feel like they got to know each other any better.

Serena is at least a light year more distant to Clemont than Dawn was to Brock.

Ash and Dawn both had an equal interest to each other. In XY on the other hand, that's not the case. That equal interest is what made the relationship between Ash and Dawn so special and dynamic.

Really?

Ash was closer to Dawn than to Serena (Serena's crush was one-sided). Heck, I would even say Ash and Dawn's bond was the closest between Ash and a Pokégirl, surpassing even his bond with Misty.

Dawn interacted more with Brock than Serena did with Clemont.

Ash and Dawn were great together - one of the best anime pairings ever!
  • Ash winning or losing the league is overrated. It would matter for nothing if he won a league for the aspect of the animé, just as it matters for nothing when he loses.
  • I don't dislike Ash's Unova companions, but I gotta admit their farewell was the worst one to date.
  • I wish we had changing main characters in every region, being the two player characters of the games.
  • I like Tracey more than Brock. As well as I like Orange League season more than the whole Kanto & Johto series.
  • People shame BW series the most but Johto series have been the worst to date. I believe it is mostly because Misty and Brock did not have many reasons to do anything other than just sticking around Ash. Therefore, we had to bear with countless boring fillers. The animé got a bit of dynamics when Misty improved herself in the late of Johto with her Corsola.
  • Ash's male companion friends have always lacked a more solid and tangible goal. Just an example, Eusine travelling with Ash in Johto in search of Suicune and eventually meeting one would make more sense than Brock walking with him and claiming he is training to be a Pokémon breeder while doing nothing related to it other than just cooking. It is the same for Ash, but at least he collects badges and participates in a Pokémon Conference for his goal.
  • I see that Pokémon has a great potential to do things even greater than what it does today, and have an impressive impact through the animé and the games. But the target audience being children spoils everything. Therefore, especially in the animé but also in the games, I expect much less that what could be brought on the table. That's the saddest truth about Pokémon franchise.
  • I feel like Ash losing is overrated because if Ash won it would mean he would be closer to being a Mon Master. Also, I think it would be wise for Ash to battle the E4 and Champion after winning.
  • Cilan and Iris were the worst - Dawn and Misty are the best
  • Tracey is really cool but Brock idk I cannot compare - it should be Ash, Tracey and Brock butttt the gender card
  • Corsola was great!!!
  • I agree but the anime will also be a children thing

Ash and Dawn were great together - one of the best anime pairings ever!

My avatar alone displays more chemistry (ignore Brock) than all the pictures of Ash and Serena combined.

Ash's male companion friends have always lacked a more solid and tangible goal. Just an example, Eusine travelling with Ash in Johto in search of Suicune and eventually meeting one would make more sense than Brock walking with him and claiming he is training to be a Pokémon breeder while doing nothing related to it other than just cooking. It is the same for Ash, but at least he collects badges and participates in a Pokémon Conference for his goal.

My hypothesis for that is that Pokemon Breeders need to have a lot of experience (Reggie almost conquered the Battle Frontier before he became a Breeder), so I think that Brock knew what he was doing when he utilized Ash as a magnet.

Last edited:
Another controversial opinion: Ash losing the Kalos League to Sawyer wouldn’t have been as bad as losing to Alain. Alain was unbelievably overpowered and needed to be taken down a peg. If Ash beat Alain and lost to Sawyer, I would have been okay with it.

I definitely agree to that, especially because we saw Sawyer becoming stronger and better since he was introduced.

Beside, if Ash can beat Trainers stronger and/or more experienced than him, then I don’t see why other Trainers can’t do the same thing.

My controversial opinions are:

- I was far from upset that Ash lost the Kalos League to Alain of all people, especially with Ash-Greninja losing to Mega Charizard X. In a way, it was telegraphed in a way, but I was still not upset when he lost. First, Ash had told Goodra that while he had many other Pokémon to choose from, he chose him instead. While some may say that showed his bond with Goodra, to me, it indicated that Ash was shafting his previous Pokémon in favor of a new one: one that ironically enough only had a tie and a loss in the Kalos League and was shown to not be as strong as previously believed.

- I think that instead of Ash-Greninja, Ash should have been given a Charizardite Y and Mega Evolved Charizard into Mega Charizard Y (assuming he couldn't have both). Heck, he had several Mega Evolution capable Pokémon, two of them (Charizard and Sceptile) are almost universally loved by both the game audience and the animé audience. While Greninja was popular, I don't think that it needed to have an, at the time, animé exclusive transformational power-up. Think of how hyped a real battle between Mega Charizard X vs. Mega Charizard Y would have been, especially when both Pokémon are proven to be powerful. After all, Alain's Mega Charizard X beat an Elite Four member's Mega Houndoom, and this coming after having beaten nine other Mega Evolution Pokémon with only a Potion given between each battle, if that. And as for Ash's Charizard, we already know his body of work, such as beating a Legendary Pokémon without needing Blaze or a Mega Evolution. Instead Mega Charizard Y went to Trevor, and it was utterly wasted by Alain's Mega Charizard X.

I agree about the Goodra part. And yes... Ash-Greninja was a cheap way to give Ash a power boost. However, i don't agree that Ash should have gotten Zard Y for one simple reason: Ash's Zard wants to be the strongest Zard ever, which means it has to beat Mega Zard X and Mega Zard Y in regular form and i feel Sceptile also doesn't need a power boost. The only Pokemon that could have benefitted from it where Heracross and Glalie, although if Ash would use Glalie more, it also wouldn't need to have a power boost, since then Glalie would easily take a spot in his top 6.

Ash's Zard wants to be the strongest Zard ever, which means it has to beat Mega Zard X and Mega Zard Y in regular form

Er... who said that Charizard couldn’t beat a Mega Charizard, and then gain a Mega stone to become even stronger?
And I'm pretty sure Charizard would accept a Mega stone easily to become stronger.

Serena is at least a light year more distant to Clemont than Dawn was to Brock.

Serena's bond with Clemont was through Bonnie mostly but the both of them had many similarities too. They both had low confidence and had to break out of it.

Ash and Dawn both had an equal interest to each other. In XY on the other hand, that's not the case. That equal interest is what made the relationship between Ash and Dawn so special and dynamic.

I think they respected each other and are pretty similar but they didn't really change anything about each other. Like ok they learned some fancy battle techniques from each other and swapped Pokemon but that's bout it. Ash and Serena however are two very different characters who actually reacted to each other and helped each other grow as individuals.

Ash was closer to Dawn than to Serena (Serena's crush was one-sided).

Uhm Ash didn't go on two dates with Serena just for his feelings for her to be ignored.

Last edited:
Serena's bond with Clemont was through Bonnie mostly but the both of them had many similarities too. They both had low confidence and had to break out of it.

This contradicts your statement that XY(&Z)'s cast has a vivid cohesion. Serena used Bonnie as a buffer state most of the time she wanted to contact Clemont and as for Clemont, he couldn't care less about Serena. And it's not like their interest to each other, which was as good as none throughout the entire series, increased at the end. In fact, I'd say it even decreased.

I think they respected each other and are pretty similar but they didn't really change anything about each other. Like ok they learned some fancy battle techniques from each other and swapped Pokemon but that's bout it.

Nastiest understatement that I've read so far on this forum. I couldn't continue on reading after that. That's why I'll give you a like. After all, that's what this thread is all about.

Back
Top Bottom