• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Controversial opinions

The fluffiest boi you'll ever squeeze!
Reaction score
I don't normally like saying this, but Ash probably would have fared better if he used some of his reserves against Alain. Aside from Ashgreninja and Pikachu, his Pokemon thas season just weren't up to deal with the likes of Mega Charizard-who might as well be classified as a Legendary at this point-, Goodra and Noivern especially barely had any training. Cause unlike Charizard, Gliscor or even Primeape, Goodra wasn't left behind to train so I doubt it did any of that and I don't even think that much time had passed since Ash left it behind. And Noivern was still just an infant and had little trianing put into it as well.

Fluffy!
Reaction score
I actually prefer Tobias over Alain as a plot device to make Ash lose the Pokemon League. The fact that Tobias wasn't really much of a character makes it easier for me to accept him as the blatant plot device that he is. Alain, on the other hand, was a character with a story, a goal and a personality. He even received some character development as early as the Mega Evolution specials thanks to his interactions with Mairin. Turning a genuine character into a plot device is really unfortunate, especially because I think Alain's story could have been great. It had a decent foundation.

Reaction score
I think people are also kinda bitter thanks to that clickbait-like title they gave to the episode.

Reaction score
Like KrisiChiki and Hidden Mew said, there just wasn't any way they could have made Ash losing to Alain satisfying with the material they were given. If anything, Ash should have never battled Alain before the league, so even when it was obvious he'd lose at least we had expected the battle to be fun (like what was expected to happen with Virgil). One thing that could have made it at least more bearable would be that Charizard should have been more tired and filled with scars.

Reaction score
Like KrisiChiki and Hidden Mew said, there just wasn't any way they could have made Ash losing to Alain satisfying with the material they were given. If anything, Ash should have never battled Alain before the league, so even when it was obvious he'd lose at least we had expected the battle to be fun (like what was expected to happen with Virgil). One thing that could have made it at least more bearable would be that Charizard should have been more tired and filled with scars.
Or have Ash beat Charizard at some point before the Kalos League. I think a lot of the complaints come from how overpowered Charizard was presented as.

"Some must fight, so that all may be free."
Reaction score
I think they were just overanalyzing it.
More like underanalyzed it. Seriously, when you have a title that says "Kalos League Victory! Ash's Ultimate Match!!", of course everybody is gonna be like "OMG! Ash's finally going to win a league!". And that was exactly what they wanted.

Snuggly Grass Snake
Reaction score
More like underanalyzed it. Seriously, when you have a title that says "Kalos League Victory! Ash's Ultimate Match!!", of course everybody is gonna be like "OMG! Ash's finally going to win a league!". And that was exactly what they wanted.
The "victory" part refers to the fact that someone will be victorious here, which is obvious. And it was Ash's ultimate battle at the league. I can understand why some people may have misunderstood it, but like I said, I think they're overanalyzing it.

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Exaxtly! If it had been given a more neutral title like "Kalos League Victory! The Ultimate Match!!" or "Kalos League Finals! Satoshi versus Alan!!" then I guarantee the result would have been taken a bit better than it was. Even if that wasn't the intention and we were just overanalyzing it, specifically calling it Ash's Ultimate Match was a bad move as it did nothing but get everyone excited and worked up. At its core, this was basically a clickbait title.

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think that people were overanalyzing the title. It was an assumption, but it was a pretty reasonable assumption all things considered. Ash had already battled to Alain twice, seemingly came close to defeating him in their second match before Ash Greninja was perfected and even making him ridiculously overpowered could have seen as building up to Ash's eventual victory. The title was just another reason why people thought that Ash was going to win. If that was the main reason people thought he was going to win, maybe it would have been more like reading too much into it, but it was another reason why the Kalos League had so much hype behind it.

Personally, I was still firmly of the option that Team Flare was going to interrupt the Kalos League and we'd get a conclusion later even when the title first came out. I'm not sure if that would have been better than having Ash lose right off the bat or not. Still, I can't really blame people for thinking he was going to win. I do think that the immediate backlash was too intense in some cases, especially during the first couple of weeks after the match happened, but I can understand why people were upset that he ended up losing. I doubt that any other League is going to get the same kind of attention and hype the Kalos League had among fans and that is kind of sad.

Reaction score
I actually prefer Tobias over Alain as a plot device to make Ash lose the Pokemon League. The fact that Tobias wasn't really much of a character makes it easier for me to accept him as the blatant plot device that he is. Alain, on the other hand, was a character with a story, a goal and a personality. He even received some character development as early as the Mega Evolution specials thanks to his interactions with Mairin. Turning a genuine character into a plot device is really unfortunate, especially because I think Alain's story could have been great. It had a decent foundation.
Pretty much this is how I feel.

I'd honestly have preferred it if Ash either won against Alain in their first battle before the league, or if Ash never faced Alain in the league and instead lost against Shota, which would have felt way more satisfying because of their character dynamics. Alternatively make Alain lose against Ash in the semi-finals and have Shota beat Ash in the finals.

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think that Ash losing to Sawyer would make much sense. Since Ash already lost to Sawyer and that defeat had a huge impact on him when he tried to get his eighth badge, he would have to beat him in the Kalos League. If Sawyer was still losing to Ash up until the Kalos League, then I think Ash losing to him would have worked out fine. There still would have been some backlash at least, especially when people would have assumed that Ash would win just because he has defeated Sawyer multiple times, but it probably would have been less intense than what we got when he lost to Alain.

They would have had to have a different setup for Ash's loss in the Snowbelle Gym. I don't know if that would have worked as well and I wouldn't want that conflict to disappear either. Ash dealing with his defeat is honestly one of the highlights of XY for me.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Personally, I was still firmly of the option that Team Flare was going to interrupt the Kalos League and we'd get a conclusion later even when the title first came out. I'm not sure if that would have been better than having Ash lose right off the bat or not. Still, I can't really blame people for thinking he was going to win. I do think that the immediate backlash was too intense in some cases, especially during the first couple of weeks after the match happened, but I can understand why people were upset that he ended up losing. I doubt that any other League is going to get the same kind of attention and hype the Kalos League had among fans and that is kind of sad.
I was thinking along the same lines during the time. That Team Flare would interrupt Ash vs Alain with their Zygarde shenanigans and the Kalos league wouldn’t have any clear winner.

Snuggly Grass Snake
Reaction score
I don't think that people were overanalyzing the title. It was an assumption, but it was a pretty reasonable assumption all things considered. Ash had already battled to Alain twice, seemingly came close to defeating him in their second match before Ash Greninja was perfected and even making him ridiculously overpowered could have seen as building up to Ash's eventual victory. The title was just another reason why people thought that Ash was going to win. If that was the main reason people thought he was going to win, maybe it would have been more like reading too much into it, but it was another reason why the Kalos League had so much hype behind it.

I heard that there was even a petition to overturn the results of the final match, which amassed thousands of signatures. I think that is going more than a little too far.

Reaction score
I was thinking along the same lines during the time. That Team Flare would interrupt Ash vs Alain with their Zygarde shenanigans and the Kalos league wouldn’t have any clear winner.
Team Flare could interrupt final battle only in case if Alain's victory wasn't planned by Lysandre. But gathering energy of mega evolutions was Alain's task and he successfully completed it by defeating all other opponents including Ash.

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Team Flare could interrupt final battle only in case if Alain's victory wasn't planned by Lysandre. But gathering energy of mega evolutions was Alain's task and he successfully completed it by defeating all other opponents including Ash.
Why including Ash? Alain's battles with him weren't beneficial to Lysandre's plan as Ash-Greninja isn't a Mega Evolution, meaning there would be no Mega Evolution energy for the Mega Ring to take in.

Never mind interrupting the finals; Team Flare could have feasibly set off Z2's rampage before it even started. They wouldn't have gotten any more juice from Ash vs Alain.

Snuggly Grass Snake
Reaction score
Why including Ash? Alain's battles with him weren't beneficial to Lysandre's plan as Ash-Greninja isn't a Mega Evolution, meaning there would be no Mega Evolution energy for the Mega Ring to take in. Team Flare could have quite easily set off Z2's rampage before the finals even began; they wouldn't have gotten any more juice from Ash vs Alain.
Nah. I personally preferred the match being finished first. Now there's no uncertainties about the winner.