• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Er... who said that Charizard couldn’t beat a Mega Charizard, and then gain a Mega stone to become even stronger?
And I'm pretty sure Charizard would accept a Mega stone easily to become stronger.

Bringing Charizard in BW was a mistake. They should have saved him for XY.
Or they could have brought Sceptile.

No, I really disagree. I think what that would show is that someone who watches Ash battle has gotten better at battling than Ash in a short space of time and beaten a veteran player. That would not make sense and I don't think anyone would appreciate it. Looking at previous examples, everyone was fine with Ash beating Paul but losing to Tobias. I think I was fine with that because it was closure on the Ash thing. But Sawyer had 2 badges when Ash was going for his 5th and he was terrible and didn't even know type advantages. If Ash lost I would be very angry. Angrier when I know every League that Ash is going to lose. I can bet you that Ash will lose to Gladion in the SuMo anime. But again its your opinion but I think it would be possible seeing as Mega Sceptile should've beaten Ash-Greninja for sure. Leaf Blade made contact a couple of times tbh.

I feel like the kanto league was Ash's worst league lost.

The Ash and Paul and Ash and Alain rivalrys where boring.

Goodra leaving Ash until the league was a bad idea.

Both Cilan and Iris are not only likeable but also pretty adorable.

I found both of them annoying as presented in the show but I blame that more on BW's writing style being heavy on Flanderization and running gags than the characters themselves. In any other series I think I might have liked them, they did have good potential.

I never really got that impression with the DP cast. There was a lot of emphasis on Ash and Dawn's friendship throughout the series and they both had a significant impact on their respective quests. They often were inspired from their battles to create different strategies. Granted, Brock's connection between them did come off as less noteworthy because of how much focus Ash and Dawn got, but they all still felt like a group of friends traveling together and certainly not just a group of people moving from point to point. The only group that didn't convey a good sense of friendship between the cast was the BW trio in my opinion, mainly due to how Iris didn't have a particularly strong connection with either Ash or Cilan.

Agreed, back when BW was airing I often wondered why Iris was even traveling with Ash and Cilan.

I feel like the kanto league was Ash's worst league lost.

The Ash and Paul and Ash and Alain rivalrys where boring.

Goodra leaving Ash until the league was a bad idea.

I disagree. I think that the Indigo League was the series where we didn't know that Pokemon are trying to do filler episodes or make Ash lose the league. When I was younger, I started from the beginning and I was really sad to see Ash lose. I didn't know that Ash was going to lose all the time and tbh I think he did really well. It wasn't his worst. I think Johto and Sinnoh were the best because he got closure from Gary and Paul who were the meanest rivals he has had. I think Trip was a bit too tame and Alain and Sawyer were very friendly.

I found both of them annoying as presented in the show but I blame that more on BW's writing style being heavy on Flanderization and running gags than the characters themselves. In any other series I think I might have liked them, they did have good potential.

Agreed, back when BW was airing I often wondered why Iris was even traveling with Ash and Cilan.

I agree too. I think that Cilan didn't show much affection and only briefly commented on Ash's battling style. To be honest, Iris was good when he irritated Ash but it was too Misty-esque. I think they [Pokemon] needed to work harder on the friendship. They had too many allies in BW - Bianca, Stefan, Trip, Cameron, Georgia, Burgundy etc etc. Too many!! Sinnoh was good as the main rivals were Zoey and Gary with a few others. Whereas all of these took centre stage as 4 of them participated in the Unova League. By far, Unova is my least favourite anime region and I've watched them all. I agree with @Misfit Angel as she said she turned off the anime after 2 episodes

Serena's bond with Clemont was through Bonnie mostly but the both of them had many similarities too. They both had low confidence and had to break out of it.

I think they respected each other and are pretty similar but they didn't really change anything about each other. Like ok they learned some fancy battle techniques from each other and swapped Pokemon but that's bout it. Ash and Serena however are two very different characters who actually reacted to each other and helped each other grow as individuals.

Uhm Ash didn't go on two dates with Serena just for his feelings for her to be ignored.

You mean the dates that only ended up to be ship tease?
Plus, Ash is too dense to know what a date is.

And let's not forget Ash will never get shipped because he will never age and this show will never end because Pokémon will always make tons of money.

This contradicts your statement that XY(&Z)'s cast has a vivid cohesion. Serena used Bonnie as a buffer state most of the time she wanted to contact Clemont and as for Clemont, he couldn't care less about Serena. And it's not like their interest to each other, which was as good as none throughout the entire series, increased at the end. In fact, I'd say it even decreased.

Clemont interacted with everyone about as much as Brock did with Ash and Dawn in DP. Ash and Serena's development far exceeded whatever Ash and Dawn had. Serena's development with Bonnie was good too. I feel like the real weak link was Ash and Bonnie but I could overlook that since there was so much more going around with the other cast members already.

Nastiest understatement that I've read so far on this forum. I couldn't continue on reading after that. That's why I'll give you a like. After all, that's what this thread is all about.

Name and iconic Dawn and Ash moment then? The high five at the end?

If you want to end a discussion, just say "let's agree to disagree". You can't criticize someone's post and then end the post with "stop posting" and expect them to stop it.

After all, that's what this thread is all about.

Not much of a difference, neither semantically nor pragmatically. On top of that, me giving a like to that user's comment was a sign to justify this thread's purpose. Don't draw conclusions if you don't know what you're talking about. You didn't even read my post.

Last edited:
I do feel that Ash and Dawn had more chemistry in their friendship than Serena and Ash. Ash doesn't understand relationships etc. so him going out with Serena meh it won't happen. Plus, he isn't ageing lol.

Back
Top Bottom