• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I think that Dedenne is one of the best secondary mascots we've had thus far. There was more of an in-universe reason as to why it was almost always out of its Pokeball. Bonnie technically wasn't its trainer, although she might as well have held onto its Pokeball considering that Clemont barely did anything with Dedenne, so she could have it out in her bag to play with and take care of it. Since it was a single stage Pokemon, they didn't have to avoid evolving it.

I'd say that Piplup is the best secondary mascot for its personality and believable progression of strength over the course of the series, but I think Dedenne filled the role pretty well and avoided some of the issues that other secondary mascots dealt with, mainly the lack of an evolution.
In terms of the anime, maybe, but in terms of the entire franchise, I'd say Eevee has the best chances of being considered as the secondary mascot. Especially thanks to the Let's Go games

But that hasn't stopped people here from discussing about other segments of the other franchise before, has it?

Yes, but it’s pretty clear that the original opinion is about the anime so I find it a bit absurd it being addressed with the games when they’re pretty irrelevant in this case.

So what exactly is Ash's motivation? Most protags have some kind of concrete reason as to why they keep trying to reach for their goals, with Ash's being that he wants to be a Pokemon Master. I remember reading some of Takeshi Shudo's note and wasn't his old reasons to outdo his Dad or something to that nature? But now that Shudo's stuff isn't really canon anymore-if it ever even was-, what exactly is driving Ash to never get up and to never lose heart when he loses leagues?

I was merely stating my own opinion. Isn't that what this thread is for?

This thread is about controversial opinions, but it should still be mainly focused on the Pokemon anime and any Pokemon manga series since that's what this section is about. I know that video game discussions still happen here from time to time here, but the games aren't really the primary purpose of this thread. Talking about Eevee when I was focusing on the secondary mascots for the anime doesn't really make much sense at least to me, especially when mascots from the games and the show are usually completely different.

So what exactly is Ash's motivation? Most protags have some kind of concrete reason as to why they keep trying to reach for their goals, with Ash's being that he wants to be a Pokemon Master. I remember reading some of Takeshi Shudo's note and wasn't his old reasons to outdo his Dad or something to that nature? But now that Shudo's stuff isn't really canon anymore-if it ever even was-, what exactly is driving Ash to never get up and to never lose heart when he loses leagues?

He just loves Pokemon, wanted to be a Pokemon trainer since he was a little kid and wants to keep meeting new people and Pokemon in order to become the best trainer. It isn't a huge bit of motivation. It does boil down to he wants to be the best like no one ever was, but I'm not sure if a character like Ash really needs something more specific to drive him for his goal given what the anime is and its target audience.

Mostly him being consistently portrayed as incredibly stubborn - far too stubborn to just give up. There's also sunken cost fallacy at play - he already put so much time and effort into it that giving up now, after traveling through 7 regions and staying for extended time in eighth, catching over 50 Pokemon and training them all to top shape and winning multiple tournaments, would feel to him like he wasted all that time and effort.
Most importantly though, he actually always has some reason to continue. He went to Orange Archipelago and Johto while running an errand for Oak with him competing in league being just an afterthought (in universe at least, as it was still the main plot out of universe), was convinced to travel to Hoenn and try again after seeing Ho-Oh (who, mind you, at that point was considered the top god in anime canon and didn't lose this position until IV gen and introduction of the Creation Trio - in other words, he was far too powerful for Ash to dare ignoring his advice if he believed he was given one), was convinced by Scott to try Battle Frontier, then invited to Sinnoh by Gary (and beaten by him in battle, which made Ash want to upstage him), etc etc etc.

Meant to reply to this, but two users got to do it before me... Oh well, I guess...

He just loves Pokémon and wants to move on towards his goal, no matter what the odds. He's basically the embodiment of determination. As long as there is even the smallest chance for him to achieve his goal, he won't hesitate for a second to chase that chance. And even when he loses, he simply gets up again, usually inspired by a new region that excites him and provides him with the motivation required to continue exploring the vast world of Pokémon. He's determined and curious. Those are basically the reasons for why he never loses heart.

"It's not about how many times you fall down. It's about how many times you get back up."

No art change was worse than the eye-switch of BW and I will die on that hill.

Even as a kid I remember instantly noticing how much better the digital animation looked for the last 15 or so Johto eps into AG, over all of early/mid Johto which looked very bland. I also think the colors stand out more because the Hoenn cast were color coordinated (Ash was mostly blue, May was red, Max was green, and Brock was brown), so their colors bounced off one another.

More opinions regarding Pokémon Adventures characterizations.

Today I think I'll talk about Emma. In Pokémon X and Y, Emma was controlled by Xerosic and his Expansion Suit to do criminal deeds as Essentia. The same happens in the manga, although with more important roles. She attacks the Tower of Mastery, kidnaps Professor Sycamore, steals Y's Xerneas, captures Zygarde, and uses Zygarde to battle against the main protagonists. But once her helmet shatters and her identity is revealed, she drops a bombshell: she was aware of her actions all the while wearing the suit.

What? What?! You're meaning to tell me that this kid, as much of a street-raised child as she may be, was perfectly fine with hurting innocent people, stealing their possessions, and assisting a group of obviously evil people, just as long as she can wear a suit that makes her feel strong and safe and she gets paid so she can pay back to the man who took her in despite her being able to pay him when he did so?! Sorry, but no! This just makes Emma look way too stupid IMO!

Why couldn't she have just been unaware of her actions just like in the games? That wouldn't have changed pretty much nothing at all, since after X gives her a big speech, she does realize the error of her ways and turns against Lysandre. Why couldn't she just have been under mind control, be freed from it, find out what she's been doing while being controlled, and that way realize the error of her ways? Sure, they may have made the thing more dramatic by making it the way they did, but at what cost? By making Emma look like a naive idiot.

Last edited:
More opinions regarding Pokémon Adventures characterizations.

Today I think I'll talk about Emma. In Pokémon X and Y, Emma was controlled by Xerosic and his Expansion Suit to do criminal deeds as Essentia. The same happens in the manga, although with more important roles. She attacks the Tower of Mastery, kidnaps Professor Sycamore, steals Y's Xerneas, captures Zygarde, and uses Zygarde to battle against the main protagonists. But once her helmet shatters and her identity is revealed, she drops a bombshell: she was aware of her actions all the while wearing the suit.

What? What?! You're meaning to tell me that this kid, as much of a street-raised child as she may be, was perfectly fine with hurting innocent people, stealing their possessions, and assisting a group of obviously evil people, just as long as she can wear a suit that makes her feel strong and safe and she gets paid so she can pay back to the man who took her in despite her being able to pay him when he did so?! Sorry, but no! This just makes Emma look way too stupid IMO!

Why couldn't she have just been unaware of her actions just like in the games? That wouldn't have changed pretty much nothing at all, since after X gives her a big speech, she does realize the error of her ways and turns against Lysandre. Why couldn't she just have been under mind control, be freed from it, find out what she's been doing while being controlled, and that way realize the error of her ways? Sure, they may have made the thing more dramatic by making it the way they did, but at what cost? By making Emma look like a naive idiot.

Lol! You should hear a big stink I have with the SM Manga and what it did to Lillie!

This one had potential and was robbed. The instant Guzma revealed the second Cosmog that... CAME out of nowhere. Lillie's steal Nebby and run gig had contributed to nothing.

Speaking of nothing, this Lillie had virtually no growth as of now despite that one outburst at the abandoned thrift store, implicating that there was going to be. She barely interacts with anyone outside of Gladion, Kukui, Burnet and the Dex holders and didn't really help Gladion during their trip to Poni Island. (Unlike the anime.)

Then comes the next big insult. Despite how this one carried Nebby, she didn't get to blow the flute, the Dex Holders did. Taking an important role she had from the games and giving it to someone else, to add it more insult to injury, they time skipped for half a year and it felt like it might have been a month because NOTHING happened besides Faba taking over and Lusamine derping with the UB's... that didn't do anything else besides wreck Ula'ula and derp at Poni Island.

Now we are heading the climax, Lusamine is heading to Ultra Megaopolis to get Necrozma. Nebby is at that city with the Dex holders and Gladion (Who had an out of nowhere injury for that long... just to get him out of that confrontation.) and Lillie are NOWHERE near Poni or that big right. Both kids, probably getting robbed of that climax without resulting to more ass pulls.

If Kasuka goes the route I feared.... then everything regarding the Aether Family conflict would JUST not be there despite the hype that was leading to this. Gladion and Lillie had some interaction, but they never had interaction with Lusamine outside of background and in Lillie's case a flash back. Everything regarding THEIR drama is given to the Dex Holders to resolve, despite how the it being Lillie's story was what made that plot good in SM.

USUM: took the focus on that drama away and weakened the main story because of that. HOWEVER, Lillie still had the same growth as in SM, if only rearranged for after Mina's Trial and during the Post Game. "Her goodbye to Nebby and her becoming a trainer." So it is to me a trade off that made up for the weakened main story... a MUCH better sense of closure to her.

The Anime: Altered that Story in many ways, but kept the spirit of it intact and dare I say, did it better than what the vanilla games have done.

The Manga: Took nearly everything away from Lillie and her story. Leaving us with what is just an inferior version of both games.

The worse part of all of that is that people trash at USUM and the Anime for making changes to the plot.... but not only give the Manga a pass for doing these spoilers in what is to me MUCH worse but PRAISING IT!
Now isn't that messed up.

Update
We are having the Mother Beast in the Manga and the Dex Holder's have to deal with this. Them! Not the Aether Siblings, despite Lusamine being THEIR issue! I'm... not sorry, but this can't be excused anymore. This Lusamine was completely wasted despite all the build up. She is never on screen outside of a flash back. We have people say stuff about her... BUT we never see her do things until the end... we have NO interactions between her and her children..... now the duo that is fighting her is... the Dex Holders and not Gladion or Lillie.

The anime did this MUCH better and in the anime, Lusamine isn't even evil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom