• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Which means that if she will be included to the conclusion somehow, it's going to feel forced and not have as much impact as it should.
Why would it be forced? They've been hinting their confrontation since forever. And Lilie is trying to reach Sun and Moon for several months.
No. Nihilego just intensified Lusamine's secret desire to meet the UBs. This wasn't a new characteristic. It was an already existing characteristic of Lusamine brought to the surface and turned up to eleven.
She wasn't simply possesed by it, Nihelego intensified her pre existing obsession/desire. If she never had that obsession, she wouldn't have throwed a temper tantrum in the Ultra wormhole.
There is nothing wrong with having a desire to meet Ultra Beasts. Or else Satoshi and Mamane too would be evil.
And yet, she did nothing to help her daughter solve her "afraid of touching Pokémon" issue, or find out what had caused it.
Did they even tell her what happened? Gladio simply runaway from home, Lilie didn't even remember what really happened.

There is nothing wrong with having a desire to meet Ultra Beasts. Or else Satoshi and Mamane too would be evil.
The desire itself was not a bad thing. It was only when Nihilego cranked it up to eleven that it became an issue.
Did they even tell her what happened? Gladio simply runaway from home, Lilie didn't even remember what really happened.
But Lusamine did notice Lillie's problem and didn't do anything to look into it.

The desire itself was not a bad thing. It was only when Nihilego cranked it up to eleven that it became an issue
Then it's not a reason for Lilie to hate her mother.
But Lusamine did notice Lillie's problem and didn't do anything to look into it.
It happened years ago and we didn't see her reaction or actions. Lilie also didn't blame her about this.

I say that Ash, Kiawe and Sophocles have far better development than Lillie, Lana and Mallow.
Personally I’d class the current development order like this:
Ash>Lana>Kiawe>Lillie>Mallow>Sophocles.

Wait! Wait wait wait wait. Wait! Rewind a bit. Ash has been getting development during the Sun & Moon series? Ash? During Sun & Moon? May I inquire as to when this happened? And in what way? Because I really don't see how Ash has changed in any way, shape or form from the beginning of the series to where we are now.

Wait! Wait wait wait wait. Wait! Rewind a bit. Ash has been getting development during the Sun & Moon series? Ash? During Sun & Moon? May I inquire as to when this happened? And in what way? Because I really don't see how Ash has changed in any way, shape or form from the beginning of the series to where we are now.
I think development was the wrong word for Ash what I meant was he wasn't boring unlike the girls.

Controversial opinion: TR battles do count.
  1. Pokemon gain legitimate battle experience.
  2. The trainer generally has to use some kind of strategy to outsmart whatever 'cheat' the TRio have employed.
  3. We, the viewers, feel like characters who have had multiple TRio battles are 'battlers'.

Controversial opinion #2: Not having TR battles greatly weakens the battle aspect of the show, as demonstrated in SM. Perhaps even more so (although not as obviously) as not having official gym battles.

The desire itself was not a bad thing. It was only when Nihilego cranked it up to eleven that it became an issue.

Then it's not a reason for Lilie to hate her mother.

That's not exactly true. Lusamine was obsessive over UBs even before Nihilego infected her. It's part of the reason she distanced herself from her kids.

Also, in Episode 50, Lusamine had a dark look of glee on her face when Nihilego appeared from the wormhole; she came back to her senses she remembered that she should be focused on protecting Lillie, but the obsession was there.

Controversial opinion: TR battles do count.
  1. Pokemon gain legitimate battle experience.
  2. The trainer generally has to use some kind of strategy to outsmart whatever 'cheat' the TRio have employed.
  3. We, the viewers, feel like characters who have had multiple TRio battles are 'battlers'.
I might agree, if it weren't for the fact that most of said "battles" go somewhat like: TR catch Pikachu > Pikachu tries to electrocute them > turns out their newest Pikachu cage isn't conductive, like always > Pikachu uses Iron Tail instead > turns out they didn't have money to make it sturdy enough to whistand it > Pikachu blasts them off with single Thunderbolt. While there are occasions when it gets to actual battle, it isn't often enough - and even if... seriously, it's not like Pika & co. are going to get much experience from fighting the same weak, cowardly and mentally scarred by its abusive trainer Seviper over and over three times a week (unless you're talking about RPG experience which DOESN'T EXIST AND LOGICALLY SHOULDN'T EXIST in any canon other than games. And maybe some of the more obscure mangas.)
Your second point... yeah, but once again - most of the times said "cheat" consists of simply sending out two Pokemon at once, which isn't even considered cheating anymore as of AG. And even when they do use some sort of machine, it usually isn't beaten by some brilliant tactics, but by brute force applied to most obvious weak spot the heroes can find (in OS Ash would generaly have his Pokemon use Flamethrower, Bubble Beam and Tackle one after other in quick succesion to weaken the structural integrity of whatever they were trying to destroy - which admittedly was pretty smart move on his part that I always enjoyed watching and I was sad that he stopped doing it midway through Johto for no apparent reason, but it's still far closer to "brute force" than "clever tactics", considering how often he did it).
Third... no, I wouldn't say so. Remind me please, how often did Brock battle TR throughout all the sagas he appeared in as member of the company? Very often. How often did he battle anyone else?... Uhhh... very rarely. Seriously, it's far from a good indicator of a battler. If I were given a gun (you need permission to own one in my country) and had to fend of robbers with it, I'd be able to give a warning shot or two, maybe, MAYBE hurt one of them if he was close and I got lucky and overall would probably scare them of - but it would be a proof it was enough of an emergency for me to use gun, not that I am skilled or even trained in using it.

Ho boy, if you're coming from that viewpoint we are clearly never going to agree.
Thing is, most of TR Pokemon are either weak compared to heroes', or just weak in general. Their actual battling skill seem to change from episode to episode - sometimes they are ridiculously incompetent, sometimes they show a surprising amount of strategy - but up until BW all of their 'Mon have been consistently shown as not strong enough to stand much of a chance against them.
Also, don't get me wrong - I simply LOVE Rockets as characters (maybe except for Jessie - but she does add some flavor to the team dynamics by being Id to Meowth's Ego and James's Superego, so I'm willing to tolerate her). But outside of the episodes focusing on them they aren't often used as characters as much as walking plot devices - and this really hurts their appeal as likable, funny villains in the long run.

That's not exactly true. Lusamine was obsessive over UBs even before Nihilego infected her. It's part of the reason she distanced herself from her kids.

For the last time, anime Lusamine is not "obsessed" with Ultra Beasts! If she was obsessed with them, then all she would care and think and talk about would be UBs. If she was truly obsessed with Ultra Beasts, she wouldn't waste time on attempting to connect to her daughter (which she does throughout the first half of the Aether arc, even if her tendency to put her work first gets in the way of that (which, by the way, her work at the Aether Foundation is about helping Pokémon and not just researching Ultra Beasts)) and would instead dedicate all of her time and energy towards finding UBs. In fact, she wouldn't even care about Lillie and would show more affection towards the UBs than her own child (which is clearly not the case, as she is show to love Lillie and her "treating her like a baby" is the way she manifest that love (which is something normal for parents to do from time to time, contrary to what the anime implies through Lillie's animosity towards that treatment)). If she really had an obsession (in the true sense of the word) with Ultra Beasts, then her personality would have been closer to her counterpart from the SM games (where she actually an obsession with the and one thst is so strong that she considers the UBs her children and shows them far more love than she ever has her own daughter), which, again, isn't the case for the anime.

So stop saying that, just because anime Lusamine has an interest in UBs and wishes to met one in person, than that means that she has an obsession with them!

How was Gen 5 a soft reboot?
It introduced a whole new set of new Pokémon, with none of them having evolutionary relationships with older Pokémon, and no older Pokémon were present before the post-game, putting both old and new players on the same line while discovering new species and building new teams. Just like it had been in Generation I. The anime did this by having no pre-Unova Pokémon, other than Pikachu and Meowth, present for a good chunk of the BW series.

For the last time, anime Lusamine is not "obsessed" with Ultra Beasts! If she was obsessed with them, then all she would care and think and talk about would be UBs. If she was truly obsessed with Ultra Beasts, she wouldn't waste time on attempting to connect to her daughter (which she does throughout the first half of the Aether arc, even if her tendency to put her work first gets in the way of that (which, by the way, her work at the Aether Foundation is about helping Pokémon and not just researching Ultra Beasts)) and would instead dedicate all of her time and energy towards finding UBs. In fact, she wouldn't even care about Lillie and would show more affection towards the UBs than her own child (which is clearly not the case, as she is show to love Lillie and her "treating her like a baby" is the way she manifest that love (which is something normal for parents to do from time to time, contrary to what the anime implies through Lillie's animosity towards that treatment)). If she really had an obsession (in the true sense of the word) with Ultra Beasts, then her personality would have been closer to her counterpart from the SM games (where she actually an obsession with the and one thst is so strong that she considers the UBs her children and shows them far more love than she ever has her own daughter), which, again, isn't the case for the anime.

So stop saying that, just because anime Lusamine has an interest in UBs and wishes to met one in person, than that means that she has an obsession with them!

There are many different levels of obsession. And if she wasn’t at least a little bit obsessed with UBs, then explain why she was smiling when Nihilego appeared in Episode 50 before she realized that there were more important things to worry about.

There are many different levels of obsession. And if she wasn’t at least a little bit obsessed with UBs, then explain why she was smiling when Nihilego appeared in Episode 50 before she realized that there were more important things to worry about.

My first explanation is that, just like with the rest of the second half of the Aether arc, her reaction (and the entire climax of that episode in general) was an attempt at forcefully injecting events from the games into the anime, whether it makes sense to or not, in order to tie into the games.

My other explanation is that she was simply amazed by the fact that she finally got to meet one of the Ultra Beasts from her father's stories (thus fulfilling a dream of hers), before realizing that this isn't the place, not the time to get excited, since that dream now represented a threat to her daughter.

Back
Top Bottom