• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I think Reggie's supposed flaw of not having a "unique strategy" feels a little contrived and unlikely anyway.

Like, someone gets a total of 32 badges from four regions, and six frontier symbols, but they somehow got that far without any uniqueness in their style at all? They honestly never innovated, came up with anything special, or did anything creative that entire time? What, was there just a little voice in their head always telling them what to do?
Ash doesn't have a "unique strategy", and he completed the same caveat.

I've seen a lot of people defend him with "But Chimchar's treatment is a special case", or "It wasn't his intention to be abusive", but I can't accept that because even just Chimchar should be more than enough. You shouldn't magically get a slap on the wrist because you "didn't mean" to be abusive. It still had a negative impact, and your intentions don't change that. If you wanted to be a Trainer, you should've already known.
Well what is it that you want then? You people keep talking about how he should receive more punishment and complaining about how his was just a slap on the wrist, but what kind of punishment were you actually expecting? Police involvement? That's reserved for the villains established as 100% evil, sorry. Death? Same, but to an even rarer extent. What Damien and Shamus received? Sorry, but the only reason why those characters received what they did was because their sole purpose for existing was literally so that the show could preach the "love your Pokemon" message. Paul's purpose for existing was to serve as someone Ash strives to beat. Which is why him getting beaten by Ash was the way he exited the show. Replace or add whatever "punishment" to that and it'll ruin the climax the writers have been setting up their plot for since the start of the series.

Chimchar, for all the time he was with Paul, seemed to be a child. That's where the analogy of a restaurant employee falls apart. A restaurant employee is at least an older teen, if not an outright adult.
Chimchar isn't a teen or adult, and he isn't a child either. Him being a child is just your own interpretation swayed by how you perceive their relationship to resemble parent/child.

Chimchar never said to Paul that he can perfectly use his Blaze whenever he wants. That was just an unfair assumption on Paul's part. Chimchar just wanted something better than being stuck out in the wilderness and ganged up on by Zangoose. Not only that, but Paul just kept selfishly pushing too hard even when he should've already figured out that Chimchar's Blaze was more of an adrenaline-fueled survival mechanism at the time.
No, Chimchar never said it could, which is why Paul was "helping" it master it in the first place.

How do you know escaping Zangoose was the reason Chimchar agreed to go with Paul? Again, that's just your own interpretation.

Last edited:
I'll be honest I think the subject of Paul is a touchy one here so that's why I didn't reply to comment I just liked it. (plus I didn't want to be seen as a raging fangirl but rather a normal person who likes a badass character)

Paul overall to me is boring every time I see him in DP i'm like "Oh great how are that going to make him look like he's "cool" now?" and the fact that Ash keeps getting fooled by Paul every time they battle even in their league battle was really annoying.

the one thing I hated about their rivalry is that it made it seem like being sweet and spoily with your Pokemon was the way to go and if you were anything but that then the training needs work. It would have been awesome for Paul to learn that he can be stern with his Pokemon but still be there for them and give them praise.

Ash has been shown to be stern with his Pokemon so why isn't it OK for Paul to be stern with his Pokemon?

the one thing I hated about their rivalry is that it made it seem like being sweet and spoily with your Pokemon was the way to go and if you were anything but that then the training needs work. It would have been awesome for Paul to learn that he can be stern with his Pokemon but still be there for them and give them praise.

Ash has been shown to be stern with his Pokemon so why isn't it OK for Paul to be stern with his Pokemon?
This whole rivalry would had been better if they were on equal grounds at the start and both learned something at the end of it like Ash learned that it was ok to be stern with his pokemon at times to help them, and for Paul it was ok to be a bit spoily with his pokemon at times to keep up morale.

kinda like I wish N would have made Ash question battling like he did for the player in Pokemon Black/White
And here we have yet another perfect example of what I see as the biggest problem with the Best Wishes series: missed potential. Instead of indeed N making Ash question whether catching and battling with Pokémon is actually good or not and having an interesting story arc built around that debate between the two, NOPE! Ash is the main character, so he is automatically right, and N becomes convinced of his ideology without even trying to make Ash question his way of thinking! Oy...

PS. This isn't the first time I've brought up this issue on this thread, but whatever. Glad to see someone agreeing with me.

I'll be honest I think the subject of Paul is a touchy one here so that's why I didn't reply to comment I just liked it. (plus I didn't want to be seen as a raging fangirl but rather a normal person who likes a badass character)
I love Paul. He is such a good character with really nice character development. I think he's Ash best rival in terms of the actual rivalry and the clashing personalities. :p Maybe I ship Ash x Paul
It would have been awesome for Paul to learn that he can be stern with his Pokemon but still be there for them and give them praise.
Paul's Pokemon didn't mind him being stern in the anime because they knew they would get stronger and his Pokemon appreciate Paul because they are strong. I really liked the menacing personalities of Paul's Pokemon especially his Honchkrow. In fact, even Chimchar wanted to get stronger and granted it wasn't a nice way, it still mentally agreed to this style of training.

kinda like I wish N would have made Ash question battling like he did for the player in Pokemon Black/White
And here we have yet another perfect example of what I see as the biggest problem with the Best Wishes series: missed potential. Instead of indeed N making Ash question whether catching and battling with Pokémon is actually good or not and having an interesting story arc built around that debate between the two, NOPE! Ash is the main character, so he is automatically right, and N becomes convinced of his ideology without even trying to make Ash question his way of thinking! Oy...

PS. This isn't the first time I've brought up this issue on this thread, but whatever. Glad to see someone agreeing with me.
Considering how eager his pokemon was for pokemon battles and how they get disappointed when he don't use them in BW's gym battles...
It wouldn't make much sense.

Well, if that's what you think. But why implement the seed of that argument into the show in the form of N if you're just automatically gonna declare Ash the winner of said argument without any kind of debate?
Because N did it in the games so he needs to do it here even though it makes no sense. Its like Lillie in the anime going though the same arc that game Lillie did even when it made no sense.

Well, if that's what you think. But why implement the seed of that argument into the show in the form of N if you're just automatically gonna declare Ash the winner of said argument without any kind of debate?
Pikachu: Has a history of disobeyence, never stays on his ball, tends to be disappointed when not chosen for gym battles.
Mijumaru: Always wants to be chosen for battles, unless he's afraid of the opponent, came out (and in) of pokeball as he wish.
Tsutarja: Abandoned her trainer.
Pokabu: Was so attracted to its trainer, his trainer tricked him so he can release it.
Waruvial: Followed Satoshi around half of Isshu so he can battle with him.
Doryuuzu: Ignored Iris' commands for most.
Emonga: Only follow Iris because of apples.
Kairyuu: Disobeyed her at first chance.

It makes no sense for Satoshi to doubt himself when he's traveling with a team like that.

I don't like Jessie's Mimikyu because I find that it's only personality trait being an irrational hatred of Pikachu to be one-note.

Don't like Rotom-Dex because he just feels like a dead weight know-it-all.

Don't like Sampson Oak because of the overuse of his pokemon faces. If he just did puns, that'd be fine but it's the pokemon faces that make him annoying whenever he's onscreen.

I wasn't a fan of Ash-Greninja because I found it a cop-out with them literally inventing a super form for Ash's Greninja rather than just giving Ash a mega evolution. Made worse by the fact that he owns pokemon who are capable of or can evolve into pokemon capable of mega evolution.

I don't like Jessie's Mimikyu because I find that it's only personality trait being an irrational hatred of Pikachu to be one-note.
I really like it actually. It adds to Mimikyu's already spooky personality. Also, finally we have a Pokemon that can actually beat Pikachu. I hate that Pikachu is (most of the time) invincible.

I really like it actually. It adds to Mimikyu's already spooky personality. Also, finally we have a Pokemon that can actually beat Pikachu. I hate that Pikachu is (most of the time) invincible.
For me it’d be alright if it had a rival-like personality towards it, even if one sided but the fact that that’s it’s only personally is what bothers me about it. Maybe if it had a backstory involving a Pikachu it’d be better but this far, none exists and it just hates Pikachu for no reason to the point of even disobeying it’s trainer when Pikachu is around.

For me it’d be alright if it had a rival-like personality towards it, even if one sided but the fact that that’s it’s only personally is what bothers me about it. Maybe if it had a backstory involving a Pikachu it’d be better but this far, none exists and it just hates Pikachu for no reason to the point of even disobeying it’s trainer when Pikachu is around.
I agree with you there but I think the Pokedex's explanation in the anime suffices. I think that there just needs to be more battles between them.

Back
Top Bottom